Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

7 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I was interested to try MSC but felt their website misadvertised, it stated for a 4 night cruise prices from £499pp fully inc (for one cruise in particular) then I clicked on book and the cheapest cabin was £629pp + £500pp to get the package that includes the fully inclusive package. I have a suit on Britannia for less and a fully inclusive package on Princes for less. As for the port calls, well I'm one of the few who is not interested in them, rather be at see.

Okay it's confusing because they are still offering you the option to add Fantastica/Aurea etc. But the initial price DOES include drinks package for the Virtuosa sailings from Southampton..... They just explain it really badly on the website, and naughtily leave the option on the website to still add these kind of packages on.

Without going off topic in a P&O forum, the NHS discount will apply to the MSC staycation cruises from Southampton, Liverpool and Greenock, if booked before 30th April.   However - the CS advisor I spoke to confessed they hadn't been given all the details - and had to text a colleague whilst on the phone to me - but confirmed the discount is between 10% (for the shorter and Greenock cruises) and 20% (for the longer and Liverpool ones).

• Like 1

Checked the options around 7:30 this morning. Didn't have time to book as had to take the car to garage (another wasted journey), nice walk back (only 1.5 miles).

Came to book, nothing available! Gave up, checked at lunchtime and 1 balcony cabin left, went all the way to pay deposit, 'cabin not available' - what?

Tried 2 more times as when searching it showed availability. Finally confirmed!

Rumours are that there are only 1,000 allowed on the ship and as this sailing starts in Southampton on 19th June and also embarks passengers in Greenock on the 23rd I assume there weren't many cabins available for Liverpool. In fact, now there are only Aurea balconies at £1299 and Yacht Club suites at £1999.

Anyway, we're booked.

9D76183D-4D3D-4275-8E03-551F9C12F7A9_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Checked the options around 7:30 this morning. Didn't have time to book as had to take the car to garage (another wasted journey), nice walk back (only 1.5 miles).

Came to book, nothing available! Gave up, checked at lunchtime and 1 balcony cabin left, went all the way to pay deposit, 'cabin not available' - what?

Tried 2 more times as when searching it showed availability. Finally confirmed!

Rumours are that there are only 1,000 allowed on the ship and as this sailing starts in Southampton on 19th June and also embarks passengers in Greenock on the 23rd I assume there weren't many cabins available for Liverpool. In fact, now there are only Aurea balconies at £1299 and Yacht Club suites at £1999.

Anyway, we're booked.

9D76183D-4D3D-4275-8E03-551F9C12F7A9_4_5005_c.jpeg

Pleased for you both Pete.

You both deserve some good luck for a change.

Graham.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smokey01 said:

For those that have booked any of these staycations have you priced around agents or are the prices fixed with no agents giving any extra discount or perk?

We have booked a Princess seacation through a TA and got a discount on the Cruise Company online price.

Just read that the Philippines will be added to the UK red travel list next week.  Effectively banning entry to the UK from Philippine nationals, unless they are UK residents.

Obviously we don't currently know how long the Philippines will be on the red list for.  However depending on how long they remain on the list, makes me wonder whether this may well eventually impact the planned UK coastal etc cruises.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just read that the Philippines will be added to the UK red travel list next week.  Effectively banning entry to the UK from Philippine nationals, unless they are UK residents.

Obviously we don't currently know how long the Philippines will be on the red list for.  However depending on how long they remain on the list, makes me wonder whether this may well eventually impact the planned UK coastal etc cruises.

India have also been seeing a huge surge in cases, 81,000 new cases yesterday, a month ago was 12,000 a day, wouldn’t surprise me if they went on red list to. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

oops... Just looked at Premier Inn for September  cruise staycation it's £106/£120!!

Just checked Leonardo (the big glass one) and that's coming in at £299!

Personally, I don't think as nice as PI but Travelodge are cheaper.

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

oops... Just looked at Premier Inn for September  cruise staycation it's £106/£120!!

That's presumably because it clashes with the boat show. I would book the Prem inn on pay on arrival, then monitor the prices for a better deal near the time.

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

We book one a little way outside Southampton so we only have a short drive in the morning and they are usually cheaper.

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

We book one a little way outside Southampton so we only have a short drive in the morning and they are usually cheaper.

What's the overnight parking like and do they do a decent English breakfast please? I ask because we've got 3 visits to Southampton next year, thanks. Paul

6 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

What's the overnight parking like and do they do a decent English breakfast please? I ask because we've got 3 visits to Southampton next year, thanks. Paul

The PI buffet breakfasts are all good value at, iirc, £9.99 pp. Eat as much as you like!

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The PI buffet breakfasts are all good value at, iirc, £9.99 pp. Eat as much as you like!

Yes that's fine, the £106 / £120 mentioned by Indiana, I assume that's per room for 2 persons?. I guess the parking is adequate.

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

Yes that's fine, the £106 / £120 mentioned by Indiana, I assume that's per room for 2 persons?. I guess the parking is adequate.

Depends which Premier Inn in Southampton you are looking at with regards parking. The Premier Inn Southampton City Centre has limited onsite parking at £5 per day. The one at Cumberland Place off-site parking is available nearby at Grosvenor Square multistorey car park at approx £8 for a day and £3 overnight after 6pm. Premier Inn West Quay has off-site chargeable parking in multi-storey car park behind the hotel at £5 per 23 hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Depends which Premier Inn in Southampton you are looking at with regards parking. The Premier Inn Southampton City Centre has limited onsite parking at £5 per day. The one at Cumberland Place off-site parking is available nearby at Grosvenor Square multistorey car park at approx £8 for a day and £3 overnight after 6pm. Premier Inn West Quay has off-site chargeable parking in multi-storey car park behind the hotel at £5 per 23 hours.

Premier Inn North is easily accessible from M271 is only a 4-5 mile drive to cruise port and has free parking. We are thinking of staying there in September, we usually stay in HIE down the road but might try this for a change.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Premier Inn North is easily accessible from M271 is only a 4-5 mile drive to cruise port and has free parking. We are thinking of staying there in September, we usually stay in HIE down the road but might try this for a change.

And if all else fails, there are Travel Lodges and PIs in Newbury,  only 40 minutes away. A nice place to explore for a half day.

Hi all.  I have booked on Britannia on 29th July.  I got the City Centre Premier Inn for £35.  I have stayed there before and there is a car park the other side of main road accessed by an underpass. 

I have cruised in September before and ended up staying at a Travelodge near stonehenge to get a decent price.