A Few Facts for Passengers On Celebrity's Return to Cruising

Host Anne

Here is what I've learned from our travel agent regarding Celebrity's Summer Sailings on Millennium from St. Maarten 

• All passengers 18 years and older MUST be vaccinated (16 years if they have the Pfizer vaccine).
  • All crew will be vaccinated.
  • Negative test 72 hours before arriving in St. Maarten (St. Maarten requirement).
  • We are not going to be required to use ship tours…you can get off the ship on your own and do your own thing. Policies related to this are being finalized.
  • They will update the mask requirements and other health protocols on board by next week when they open the cruises for reservations.
  • There will be sailing at reduced capacity – 40-60% of the ship will be available.
  • They will be testing you prior to embarkation.  There is no cost to passengers for testing.
  • They will do the mouth swab antigen test onboard the day before disembarkation so people can come back to the states and there is not charge for either tests. Results are know in 5 - 6 minutes.
  • You can only book verandas on Millennium.  No insides or oceanviews at this time for the summer cruises.
  • Muster drill will remain on the TV in your cabin.  No more muster drills in public spaces with lots of people.
  • Oceanview café will have food behind glass and served by crew members. You will no longer be allowed to self-serve.

I'm not posting this to start arguments (please do not do that!).  I am sure there are things here that will make some people happy and others unhappy.  I simply wanted to share the information I've been provided so some of the speculations can stop.  Anyone who doesn't care for what Celebrity is doing can choose not to cruise.  I don't think they'd ever get everyone to be happy with their decisions. 

I'm guessing (and it's just my guess) that many of these will also be applied when Celebrity has other ships starting to sail.  The good news is there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  

• Like 44
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

• Host Anne changed the title to A Few Facts for Passengers On Celebrity's Return to Cruising
15 minutes ago, Host Anne said:
  • Negative test 72 hours before arriving in St. Maarten (St. Maarten requirement).
  • They will be testing you prior to embarkation.  There is no cost to passengers for testing.

Just wondering why St. Mararten doesn't consider the test that will be done prior to embarkation adequate. Seems kind of redundant to be tested three days prior to embarkation and also the day of embarkation. In fact, the test done by the cruise line prior to embarkation is actually more current.

11 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Just wondering why St. Mararten doesn't consider the test that will be done prior to embarkation adequate. Seems kind of redundant to be tested three days prior to embarkation and also the day of embarkation. In fact, the test done by the cruise line prior to embarkation is actually more current.

You won't have had the cruise line test prior to entering St. Maarten. Therefore you wouldn't meet the requirements.

We normally cruise in June. I'm half tempted to book one of these cruises, but then again, I'm not I want to be a guinea pig.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I am sure St. Maarten wants you to have a negative test when you step off the plane and set foot on their island.  Waiting until you embark could be too late for someone testing positive....they would have already been on the island. 

Plus, if you are like me, we always arrive at least a day early in a port we have to fly to to minimize the chances of missing the ship (that happened to us very early in our cruising years). So we'd be on island for at least a day or so before getting tested at the ship.

Additionally, islands and country's can set whatever protocols they like and it doesn't have anything to do with what the ship or airlines, etc are doing.  Hope this makes sense.

I'm grateful that St. Maarten has agreed to allow Celebrity to sail from their port.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Edit: What Host Anne says.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 2

I'm sure the airline is probably checking the test result prior to boarding the plane departing to St Maarten so you won't even get to the island.

I guess it's possible that St Maarten changes the rules prior to June to allow vaccinated people to enter without a test but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by wrk2cruise

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'm sure the airline is probably checking the test result prior to boarding the plane departing to St Maarten so you won't even get to the island.

I guess it's possible that St Maarten changes the rules prior to June to allow vaccinated people to enter without a test but I wouldn't count on it.

I don't think airlines check if you are flying to Hawaii, so why would they check flying to St. Maarten.  You have to have a negative result 3 days prior to flying.  If you arrive without that requirement, you would be quarantined.  I suppose the same with St. Maarten -- you arrive without the required 3-day requirement, you go straight to jail (quarantine).

Anne- Did you get a sense of how they plan to get the complete crew vaccinated soon to get them fully protected for sailings in June?  Also will they announce their plan soon about what happens if (when) they get COVID-positives on board?

Thanks!  Rick

• Like 2

As one would expect from a forum Host, clear, succinct and to the point. If onboard protocols - including mask wearing - are not deal breakers, it sounds to me like a nice Caribbean cruise is ready to be had. And, a little extra Covid19 testing is a good thing.

Sounds to me like a good start. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

All passengers 18 years and older MUST be vaccinated (16 years if they have the Pfizer vaccine).

Could you clarify this point? Those 18 and older must be vaccinated, that I fully understand, but as a 16 year old doesn't require a vaccination, what does your bracketed text mean?

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Anne- Did you get a sense of how they plan to get the complete crew vaccinated soon to get them fully protected for sailings in June?  Also will they announce their plan soon about what happens if (when) they get COVID-positives on board?

Thanks!  Rick

Hi Rick ~ I didn't get info on how they plan to vaccinate crew but I get the sense from what I received that there is a plan.  My TA told me that they are planning to make additional protocol announcements including if someone gets sick or tests positive on board soon....I'm hoping before they open the sailings for booking.  If I learn anything else, I will share it here.

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Could you clarify this point? Those 18 and older must be vaccinated, that I fully understand, but as a 16 year old doesn't require a vaccination, what does your bracketed text mean?

I shared it as it was given to me so I'll have to go back and ask my TA about that one.  That's a good question.

Thank you so much for the info, it was helpful!  

Has there been any info regarding the entertainment provided for these cruises?  Will it be like pre-Covid, possible only because the ship will be at reduced capacity?  Or will certain shows/venues not be open due to pandemic protocols?

I know the theme parks are "open" in Florida but not all the pre-pandemic entertainment/venues are offered, even with the reduced capacity restrictions.  

34 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

I don't think airlines check if you are flying to Hawaii, so why would they check flying to St. Maarten.  You have to have a negative result 3 days prior to flying.  If you arrive without that requirement, you would be quarantined.  I suppose the same with St. Maarten -- you arrive without the required 3-day requirement, you go straight to jail (quarantine).

It’s pretty standard for airlines to confirm you meet entry requirements before boarding an international flight. Passports, visas, electronic authorizations, etc.  They’re usually subject to fines for transporting someone who doesn’t meet entry requirements, so I’d expect them to verify testing if it’s an entry requirement. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This gives us a good feel of what X and probably other Lines will handle reopening, and an idea of what will follow for an extended time in some form. I wont ge cruising this early, but am set for Nov Thanksgiving so this info helps.

Den

7 minutes ago, Jaynay said:

Thank you so much for the info, it was helpful!  

Has there been any info regarding the entertainment provided for these cruises?  Will it be like pre-Covid, possible only because the ship will be at reduced capacity?  Or will certain shows/venues not be open due to pandemic protocols?

I know the theme parks are "open" in Florida but not all the pre-pandemic entertainment/venues are offered, even with the reduced capacity restrictions.  

Sorry, Jaynay ~ my TA didn't provide any information on entertainment.  If I learn more, I'll be happy to share it.  But what I've listed above is all I was told.

I wonder if they will be allowing B2B cruises, as I note there are alternating itineraries. 
So far, these itineraries appeal, far more than UK coastal cruises, that P&O(UK) and Princess have released.

Edited by upwarduk

15 minutes ago, markeb said:

It’s pretty standard for airlines to confirm you meet entry requirements before boarding an international flight. Passports, visas, electronic authorizations, etc.  They’re usually subject to fines for transporting someone who doesn’t meet entry requirements, so I’d expect them to verify testing if it’s an entry requirement. 

Hawaii is not an international destination.  I doubt the airlines are checking requirements to travel to any state in the U.S.  I could be wrong, but I believe they are checking once you land in the State, then if you don't meet the requirement, you are quarantined.  

On another post the cost of this 7-day cruise was mentioned as $2,000 for the basic cabin (Balcony as no insides are being used).  In addition the cost of airfare from a US POE - not mentioned which one (R/T air to the US Southwest runs about $450) is included.  Presumably this meets the health protocols for the scheduled islands such as Aruba, Curacao, St Kitts, etc.  

Its a good start, even if expensive.  Maybe the new normal...

Hi Host Anne!

thanks so much for posting all this info.  It helps having actual facts when we're all trying to  sift through all the speculation, which always has the potential of somehow turning to facts when repeated often enough!

Wondering if you heard anything on this issue: What would happen if you get the PCR test 3 days before arriving in St. Maarten and the test is positive?

When you notify the cruise line of this, is your money forfeited?  Or, will they offer to give you FCC or a refund?

We understand that insurance is always recommended, however, not sure if insurance companies are covering Covid.

We appreciate hearing if you got any indications of how they would proceed.  Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Hi Host Anne!

thanks so much for posting all this info.  It helps having actual facts when we're all trying to  sift through all the speculation, which always has the potential of somehow turning to facts when repeated often enough!

Wondering if you heard anything on this issue: What would happen if you get the PCR test 3 days before arriving in St. Maarten and the test is positive?

When you notify the cruise line of this, is your money forfeited?  Or, will they offer to give you FCC or a refund?

We understand that insurance is always recommended, however, not sure if insurance companies are covering Covid.

We appreciate hearing if you got any indications of how they would proceed.  Thanks again.

Hi Robkat ~ another good question.  I've started a list of questions that I'll ask my TA tomorrow and see if I can get some additional answers to the questions people are asking here.  I'm guessing much of this will be answered before they open these cruises for booking....but I'll do my best to find out and post here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2