Who's booking a staycation when they go on sale tomorrow?

windsurferfirst

48 minutes ago, gojocruise said:

We booked the 1st Sept 4 night sailing, quite fancy the Titanic museum whilst in Belfast, its our anniversary on the 3rd Sept too 🙂 Happy days!! 

It is a great museum and can easily take up half a day. We actually walked to/from the City Centre, which was no more than about 20 minutes. I also think we booked our tickets in advance, which saves time queueing.

1 minute ago, traceytd said:

Stupid question lol what is a staycation.

A true staycation is when you take holiday from work but stay at home, going out for day trips. The media however now seem to think it is a holiday in your country of residence...

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

A true staycation is when you take holiday from work but stay at home, going out for day trips. The media however now seem to think it is a holiday in your country of residence...

That’s what I thought but I don’t understand why they said “when they go on sale tomorrow “

oh and thanks for the answer 

12 minutes ago, traceytd said:

Stupid question lol what is a staycation.

With specific regards to the UK, the majority of holidays each summer are taken abroad - Spain, Greece, France, Italy  etc. 

At present we in the UK cannot leave - therefore,  if you want a holiday (vacation) you gave to STAy at home, hence Staycation.

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That is not what anyone in the UK thinks of as a staycation. 

I'm certainly not the only one who has that opinion. I've seen others say the same thing.

Edited by Britboys
typo
  • Like 1

Two definitions of "staycation"

"A staycation, or holistay, is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation. Wikipedia"

"A staycation (a portmanteau of "stay" and "vacation"), or holistay (a portmanteau of "holiday" and "stay"), is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation."

I do however appreciate that over time, people have begun to think of it as a holiday in your own country.

8 hours ago, john watson said:

I have done the Titanic museum in Belfast and should recommend the free bus into the city and a taxi to the museum as opposed to a cruise line excursion. 

I suggest skip the bus to the city and just take a taxi from the cruise terminal.

And I agree with the poster who said to book tickets in advance.

13 minutes ago, caribill said:

I suggest skip the bus to the city and just take a taxi from the cruise terminal.

So has it been confirmed that we are allowed to do our own thing off the ship and not just ship excursions?

9 minutes ago, caribill said:

However, it looks as though must do a Princess excursion only on these cruises - no 'do it yourself' wandering off on your own. See the page here

image.thumb.png.384a42865a0711b2158868519c8ccd19.png

4 minutes ago, The Mariners said:

So has it been confirmed that we are allowed to do our own thing off the ship and not just ship excursions?

No.

I was just responding to the suggestion that had been offered in the below post.

8 hours ago, john watson said:

I have done the Titanic museum in Belfast and should recommend the free bus into the city and a taxi to the museum as opposed to a cruise line excursion.

10 hours ago, traceytd said:

That’s what I thought but I don’t understand why they said “when they go on sale tomorrow “

oh and thanks for the answer 

Princess are offering “Seacations” this summer to UK Residents who are fully vaccinated.  Most are 3 or 4 nights onboard at sea, no ports.   A floating resort hotel. 

13 hours ago, gojocruise said:

We booked the 1st Sept 4 night sailing, quite fancy the Titanic museum whilst in Belfast, its our anniversary on the 3rd Sept too 🙂 Happy days!! 

We fancied visiting the Titanic Museum as we have been to Belfast many times on cruises but never been there but at the extortionate prices of the excursions we will be staying on the ship.

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

Princess are offering “Seacations” this summer to UK Residents who are fully vaccinated.  Most are 3 or 4 nights onboard at sea, no ports.   A floating resort hotel. 

There are ports of call Belfast, Liverpool and Greenock depending on the cruise.

22 hours ago, ann141 said:

We are booked on that cruise too.Bit disappointed that the excursions are very limited (I was hoping to visit The Giant's Causeway but hoping they will put more excursions on nearer the time)

Ann - they've just put a Giants Causeway excursion on for the Regal sailing on 23rd Sept - we're currently 'waitlisted' - so its worth going on again to check for your sailing date??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, busymumofthree said:

Ann - they've just put a Giants Causeway excursion on for the Regal sailing on 23rd Sept - we're currently 'waitlisted' - so its worth going on again to check for your sailing date??

Thank you.Just looked though it is very expensive.Do you know if you are put on a waitlist if you can cancel? I don't want to miss out but if more excursions appear there might be another that I prefer

6 hours ago, The Mariners said:

I have received an email from Princess this morning saying that you will only be allowed off the ship on a Princess cruises excursion

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Thank you.Just looked though it is very expensive.Do you know if you are put on a waitlist if you can cancel? I don't want to miss out but if more excursions appear there might be another that I prefer

It is 9 hours long and includes tea and scones in the morning and lunch later, it has a very detailed list of whats covered. Very expensive but you can cancel at any time.

4 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It is 9 hours long and includes tea and scones in the morning and lunch later, it has a very detailed list of whats covered. Very expensive but you can cancel at any time.

Thank you.I think when I had previously looked at a Princess excursion there it was priced at about $150 whereas this is over $200 pp.However it may be because there will be reduced numbers on the coach.If we go on a waitlist do we just pay when we are notified if we get a place?

Hope you can get coffee instead of tea at that price!!🤣

Edited by ann141

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

If we go on a waitlist do we just pay when we are notified if we get a place?

Sorry I don't know. |f you go through until the payment page I dare say you will find out and you can make up your mind. This page shows the normal excursions and there was two different ones for the Giant Causeway. The one you have mentioned is dearer under the new cruises.

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/belfast-northern-ireland-excursions

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

I have received an email from Princess this morning saying that you will only be allowed off the ship on a Princess cruises excursion

Thanks for that it’s what we thought but with others mentioning taxis & walking to places left us puzzled 😕 

15 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Sorry I don't know. |f you go through until the payment page I dare say you will find out and you can make up your mind. This page shows the normal excursions and there was two different ones for the Giant Causeway. The one you have mentioned is dearer under the new cruises.

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/belfast-northern-ireland-excursions

Thank you.I think the one I had previously seen was the excursion just to the Causeway at $169.May wait for a bit to see if that becomes available, otherwise we will probably book the longer trip