Carnival food is palate-pleasing to me...

Out of Iowa

I’m a Carnival cruiser for a variety of reasons…and after reviewing the menus posted over at the Virgin Voyages board, I now prioritize Carnival’s food on my list of reasons to choose the Fun Ships.

There is a demographic for every cruiseline – and menus designed to please each brand’s customers.

While I am not a PB&J, chicken nuggets and cold cereal kind of diner, I would definitely not choose these items I saw on the available VV menus:

Breakfast:  watermelon and sesame tofu cream with granola and frozen berries; avocado toast with pickled cucumber, radish, lime and toasted seeds;  smoked cheddar and jalapeno croissant; sage  impossible (meatless) patty in a breakfast sandwich; black-pudding waffles.

Starters:  nutty gazpacho; mushroom “tartare” with tarragon salsa verde.

Mains:  whole roasted cauliflower with curry sauce, pistachios, sesame seeds and pomegranate; Korean BBQ; pretzel pork schnitzel with kimchi.

Dessert:  blueberry-green tea cheesecake with pistachio nuts and lemon “cream”; rainbow Jenga cake.

I’d be so hungry I would need to opt for what VV calls “Naughty” ( ¼ fried chicken) simply to stave off weight loss!

I am looking forward to sailing again to see my Carnival favorites:  eggs benedict; steak and eggs; apple pastry; chilled peach soup; shrimp cocktail; spring rolls; prime rib or lobster on Formal Nights, veal Parmesan; pan-seared tilapia, salmon cakes, rosemary lamb shank and crisp portobello mushrooms; warm chocolate melting cake and a cheese plate.  That’s the highest level of “fancy dining” I need.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Out of Iowa said:

I’m a Carnival cruiser for a variety of reasons…and after reviewing the menus posted over at the Virgin Voyages board, I now prioritize Carnival’s food on my list of reasons to choose the Fun Ships.

There is a demographic for every cruiseline – and menus designed to please each brand’s customers.

While I am not a PB&J, chicken nuggets and cold cereal kind of diner, I would definitely not choose these items I saw on the available VV menus:

Breakfast:  watermelon and sesame tofu cream with granola and frozen berries; avocado toast with pickled cucumber, radish, lime and toasted seeds;  smoked cheddar and jalapeno croissant; sage  impossible (meatless) patty in a breakfast sandwich; black-pudding waffles.

Starters:  nutty gazpacho; mushroom “tartare” with tarragon salsa verde.

Mains:  whole roasted cauliflower with curry sauce, pistachios, sesame seeds and pomegranate; Korean BBQ; pretzel pork schnitzel with kimchi.

Dessert:  blueberry-green tea cheesecake with pistachio nuts and lemon “cream”; rainbow Jenga cake.

I’d be so hungry I would need to opt for what VV calls “Naughty” ( ¼ fried chicken) simply to stave off weight loss!

I am looking forward to sailing again to see my Carnival favorites:  eggs benedict; steak and eggs; apple pastry; chilled peach soup; shrimp cocktail; spring rolls; prime rib or lobster on Formal Nights, veal Parmesan; pan-seared tilapia, salmon cakes, rosemary lamb shank and crisp portobello mushrooms; warm chocolate melting cake and a cheese plate.  That’s the highest level of “fancy dining” I need.

I do not fit the demographics for this type of dining experience. I wonder if they can say " bud light".

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Out of Iowa said:

/snip/

Couldn't agree more!! The hubs and I **love** the idea of an adults-only ship, but I would just not eat for a week, lol. He said he would eat some of the things on the menus we looked at, but that he would miss that awesome pizza late at night, or a good ole' Guy's burger. I agree with that, and toss in ice cream cones whenever I want. 😁 Can't WAIT to be back on Carnival!!

• Like 1

Lol I almost booked msc but hate italian food. I'm not their demographic either.

Though the above i dont want meatless patty fake meat, though anything with avocado sounds good. The rest is a no.

I'll take a guys burger and fries.

31 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I almost booked msc but hate italian food. I'm not their demographic either.

Actually we did book an MSC cruise. Couldn't pass up the "WE WILL MATCH YOUR STATUS" come-on. They did match our diamond level and we boarded as their top level. Some of the things they did (preregister for shows - so never overbooked, free steakhouse dinner, beautiful halls with Swavorski crystal stairways, etc) were nice, BUT the dining room food did not interest us or our Italian companions at all. It really wasn't Italian food---but European cuisine. When we ordered the shrimp dinner and it came with the heads, eyes and antenna attached we vowed never again to cruise MSC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No matter where I go, I would pick some tried-and-true street foods vs snob plates any day. Sure it's nice to eat some fancy meals here and there, but it becomes too much, too quickly. I am quite content sitting on the deck, eating a burger, tacos, BBQ, etc.

• Like 3

Just now, Joebucks said:

No matter where I go, I would pick some tried-and-true street foods vs snob plates any day. Sure it's nice to eat some fancy meals here and there, but it becomes too much, too quickly. I am quite content sitting on the deck, eating a burger, tacos, BBQ, etc.

Well said. In 1992 I was interviewing the last captain of the SS United States in his home in Hampton, Va. When the topic briefly turned to the subject of food Captain Alexanderson said: ' The food was quite good but some nights I just wanted a hamburger but knew that wouldn't be correct. '  

Since 1987 on Carnival ships I can honestly say I only saw a captain sitting down to dinner in the main dining room once. Times change but comfort foods never die. 

• Like 1

I am an extremely finicky eater, we've been on Holland America, princess, royal carribean, Scandinavia, and a few I can't remember from way back when, the only cruise line I never had  a hard time finding something to eat has been carnival!!! Thank you carnival!!! hugs all, from Texas

I wouldn't change lines just for the food since Carnival has much better food at the pay-for dining, but almost everything on that VV menu looked worth trying to me.  Carnival sources their food from somewhere between Walmart and McDonald's quality, with some exceptions.

• Like 1

Where I work, craft services gives a choice of cuisine to suit the diversity of palates and it is high quality food with excellent chef's manning the spatulas. You will see 20 rib-eye steaks on the grill, with loaded baked potato for every plate of that VV style food that looks like it came from a feed store. And the latter never cleans the plate.

I'll stick with Carnival. As others have said it is tasty food.

• Like 1

I have only cruised with Carnival (132days). I do not cruise for the food experience. The quality is average (O'Charley's level) and the MDR trails most nice land restaurants. If quantity is a driver, it is off the charts. I have not eaten in the specialty restaurants because I am not food driven.  I have eaten at excellent steak restaurants (RC, Morton's and my own) and I think I would be disappointed and my Doctor does not advise it. But, I do not go hungry on the ship, the variety is great. I try a little of most everything. I will say the service is above average by the staff. They work very hard to serve so many in a short time in the MDR.

• Like 2

I have actually seen the food get better on CCL. More vegetarian and healthier options.  If I want uber fancy I will do an adult only all inclusive.  Plus I  know on CCL that my picky 17 year old, 19 year food allergy boy- can find enough food to keep them happy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chocolate melting cake said:

Actually we did book an MSC cruise. Couldn't pass up the "WE WILL MATCH YOUR STATUS" come-on. They did match our diamond level and we boarded as their top level. Some of the things they did (preregister for shows - so never overbooked, free steakhouse dinner, beautiful halls with Swavorski crystal stairways, etc) were nice, BUT the dining room food did not interest us or our Italian companions at all. It really wasn't Italian food---but European cuisine. When we ordered the shrimp dinner and it came with the heads, eyes and antenna attached we vowed never again to cruise MSC.

Your avatar name brings my response. The first cruise we took was on the Sensation over Christmas. It was not cheap. The first night I ordered the Chocolate Melting Cake after dinner in the MDR. Never got it. Waited a long time. We left the MDR and moved on to other things to do. I have eaten on cruises at MDR's on Carnival and Royal. Never have tasted the Chocolate Melting Cake and even ordered it again on Carnival.

I plan on trying virgin once things are sorted out . I haven’t been on their site in a long time , original poster might  be looking at the vegetarian forward eateries.

I thought they where offering many options  from Michelin inspired meals to causal.. something for all?

Carnival food  is pleasing to me , especially the steak house , something for all.. 

should be interesting if they get off the ground ,not going to be cheap  but something different ..