The Daily for Friday Mar 26, 2021

richwmn

2 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

(I usually infuse my vodka with spears of fresh pineapple in the bottle for a week o so - yummy martinis!)

I usually infuse my freshly chopped pineapple with vodka for a few days - yummy fruit salad 😁

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

I've been booked to Rarotonga 3 times, all with Crystal, but missed one of them as we were unable to tender in 2020.  My first visit was on the Crystal Serenity and the tender ride was reminiscent of what St.LouisSal described.  I took the bus tour around the island, a la St. LouisCruisers but we had a downpour and I didn't see much out the bus windows.  Walking through the shopping district I fell and skinned my knee so that was not a very positively remembered visit.

I was on the Crystal Symphony in 2018 and the tour went a lot better.  I had booked a nature walk and there was some drizzle on the way to the starting point but perfect conditions for the walk.

Our guide was a "medicine man" who was known as "pa"paguide.jpg

We had some nice vistas along the way:

rarotonga.jpg

At one point a local came out and gave us fresh fruit treats:

treats.jpg

Pa pointed out a taro field:

taro.jpg

He also pointed out a palm tree planted by Elanor Roosevelt in 1944 and still thriving:

eleanor.jpg

After the rough tender ride and knee incident from 2011 I decided to head back to the ship immediately after the tour.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suslor said:

Rarotonga was our last port on our Maasdam cruise last year. Unlike others it was a beautiful day for tendering. After a great day we hauled anchor and set off for our next port, Papeete, only to wake in the morning exactly where we were last night 😱. Those who could gets flights out of Rarotonga that day, mostly Australia and NZ, were allowed off and taken directly to the airport. 

CEA32AD2-5B11-4E51-BDF5-4AED6897FE2B.jpeg

3BA9EB7C-82E6-4AC0-A11B-3D76549B0811.jpeg

🙂🙃We were the cruise passengers waiting for the Maasdam that never came to pick us up last March 2020. A few days prior to the arrival, we received an email from HAL stating they weren't able to pick us up due to the closure of the port by the Polynesian Government.🤓 I had been reading the roll call and knew that things weren't going to be good (with the skipping of ports due to the virus) so we had contingency plans for a✈️ flight home before the airfare went sky high with two ships of people waiting to board. We had planned on a b2b with Mexico included. HAL was good about the refund and all as well as Viking.✏️ Let's hope our next two Holland America cruises 'happen' this year--Sept. and Dec🛳️

• Like 16

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING!! Rich, love the days!!!

Roy, like my Midwest sister 🌺Joy you know where I stand and think of you daily!

Tonight we’re going over to Shawn’s to barbecue some steaks and bring little Paisley back home to mom. I am making spinach soufflé one of her favorites and also twice baked potatoes! 
🌺Joy to answer your question I was called yesterday mid morning to help out again with vaccines with our new shipment and knew our Gov was going to announce April 1 age 50 could get shots and April 15th age 16. So I will help again next week. Soon our county might be in the Orange tier soon! Will see.

🌺Summer we enjoy this drink when I can get watermelon and make our own and it is ice cold! 
🌺Debbie I enjoy salmon and would enjoy making this one!!

🌺garlictown it was nice talking with you! Glad you enjoyed your time in Maui! 
You were right next door as neighbors to our home!

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

OKAY! My baby hummingbird is getting BIG! Mama comes by but not often and this little guy is cute! Was able to try to get close when I came home yesterday 

and take pics!

Denise😊

image.thumb.png.a485c8e9bedff6d454f3ca3fd734ecac.png

image.thumb.jpeg.6c154886ce7e4baab15368bcb48d2626.jpeg

🌴 🌸Maui truly is paradise! ❤️🌴 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Day 1/Night 2 ended with a visit to the Shanghai Grand Theatre (on the 4th floor of the Portman Ritz-Carlton Hotel) to watch an incredible performance by the Shanghai acrobats, a well-known Chinese professional acrobatics performing group which was founded in 1951. The acrobatics show is not to be missed; they are held each night and last for about two hours. The troupe frequently tours internationally and performs routinely in Shanghai and other Chinese cities. They did not disappoint with their gravity-defying contortionism, juggling, unicycling, chair-stacking, plate-spinning and motorcycle/dirt bike acrobatics inside a mesh sphere ball, also known as the "globe of death" Passed both a Chinese KFC as well as 7-11 on the way back to Amsterdam. Night #2 in Shanghai passed without any criminal incidents which made this SECO a very happy camper! 🙂     

076.JPG

077.JPG

080.JPG

acrobatic-show-shanghai-china-1224x765.jpg

Acrobats20Rolling20Cup_IMG_898220copy_2.jpg

arobati-shanghai-show-china-1224x765.jpg

d26d73f970b2529821c342aa3d97096a.jpg

Shanghai Acrobatics1.jpg

Shanghai Acrobatics2.jpg

082.JPG

087.JPG

088.JPG

093.JPG

094.JPG

095.JPG

I've seen them twice.  They are so much more than acrobats.

Roy

• Like 6

We were also aboard Maasdam, in Jan/Feb, 2017.  We toured Rarotonga in a tuk tuk type vehicle with a driver/guide. He showed us points of interest on the island and two beautiful beaches. We had quite the super bumpy ride back to the ship, though.

• Like 11

Good afternoon everyone!  Live Long and Prosper should be our motto every day!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thanks, Roy, for your lists as always.

I love spinach, mostly cooked, but also love spinach in a salad.  I have a great spinach casserole recipe that is usually on our holiday table.  My favorite way is in a quiche with lots of Swiss cheese and now that it is on my mind I might just have to make one, it's always good for lunch as leftovers.  And I agree, we should make up our own Daily Holiday!  Yay!

We've not been to today's port but after seeing all the pictures I know it is someplace I would love to visit.  Thank you for all the pictures and comments!

The meal suggestion sounds good as does Roy's but we will either have a mishmash of Asian apps like potstickers, shu mai, birds nests (Trader Joe's has a wonderful variety!), etc., or the spinach quiche.

Agua Fresca would be good with vodka, yes!  And I've had a Zonin Sparkling wine before but not a Moscato.

BTW, I couldn't find our Disney Cruise pictures yesterday, so no Port Canaveral pictures to post but I will definitely post some when we are there in October 2022 .  I really need to consolidate all our pictures!

Had a hair appointment this morning and my hairdresser has had her 1st vaccine, yay!  Our state has opened up 16+ for vaccination so we are moving along.  I just wish the all the states and countries were in sync with the vaccine.  In a perfect world I guess..... 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
spelling
  • Like 12

Day 2 in Shanghai with just some general shots from Amsterdam at her berth on the Hungpu River, the Bund and the impressive Shanghai skyline. The  tower with the "ball" in it is the Oriental Pearl Radio & Television Tower while the one that looks like a bottle opener is the Shanghai World Financial Center. 

The first one is located at the tip of Lujiazui in the Pudong New Area by the side of Huangpu River, opposite The Bund, which makes it a distinct landmark in the area. At 1,536 feet high, it was the tallest structure in China from 1994–2007, when it was surpassed by the latter, the Shanghai World Financial Center. The Oriental Pearl Radio & Television Tower is brightly lit in different LED sequences at night and features 11 spheres, big and small while the entire tower is supported by three enormous columns that start underground.

The Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC) is a mixed-use 101-story, 1,614 feet skyscraper, consisting of offices, hotels, conference rooms, observation decks, and ground-floor shopping malls. Park Hyatt Shanghai is the tower's hotel component, comprising 174 rooms and suites occupying the 79th to the 93rd floors, which at the time of completion was the highest hotel in the world. The most distinctive feature of the SWFC's design is the trapezoid aperture aka "bottle opener" at the peak

Time for a "koppie tomatensoep" aka a cup of tomato soup at the aft/seaview pool which was at a nearly deserted part of the ship due to most everyone being out exploring Shanghai  😉 

1920px-Shanghai_Skyline_from_a_tour_boat_%28Pudong%29.jpg

CWC_9636.jpg

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

map.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 20

My thanks to all who posted photos of Rarotonga. It is indeed a beautiful island.  Our 2011 South Seas cruise aboard the Rotterdam visited there. I organized an excursion Captain Tama's Muri Lagoon BBQ Lunch Cruise with snorkling.  Unfortunately there was a storm the night before and the waters were so muddy we could not snorkle although some did a little swimming. Lunch was wonderful, there was a palm tree climbing exhibition and instruction on how to wear a sarong for both men and women. Of course some of our members served as models for the demonstration.I wish I had photos that I could post but I don't so you will just have to google Captain Tama's.  Kia Orano!

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 14

Good afternoon, I'm late, but I have an excuse - getting my hair cut.  It's really short now, should last for a while.  Good news about @VMax1700's wife, and others lined up for their vaccinations.  I do not understand anyone not wanting to be protected from this awful disease!  My hairdresser, who has asthma like DD, said she is so hoping to get hers soon.

On our Westerdam cruise in April, 2016 (with Jacqui @kazu), we missed Fanning Island and Rarotonga, all we got was "scenic cruising", although I think there was a medical evacuation on one of the tenders which did manage to squeeze into the dock.

P1020482.thumb.JPG.1357cda55b0e115898246962a16c156f.JPG

P1020519.thumb.JPG.e93a93bc78d29d53c954963753a488de.JPG

P1020492.thumb.JPG.9d9ad74e2cafc1d0e49b8f96243fb16b.JPG

P1020533.thumb.JPG.0bd891335248b4b5880d9299c8ac3222.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Thank you very much for those fabulous pictures of yours. I wonder where this Seven Eleven is located. The place looks very weird I shall say. In any case, I wish you a great time cruising 

Can't help you with physical address but it was between Shanghai Grand Theatre/Portman Ritz-Carlton Hotel and the ship's berth on the way back when I saw it and post haste snapped the pic. Btw, they have 7-11 stores in Japan also and I actually went into one in Kanazawa, Japan. Lots of stuff you wouldn't necessarily come across in a North American seven-eleven but an interesting experience. I did make a purchase or two in there which came with a lot of hand gesturing and looking at how many Yen on the register since the clerk did not speak English and I did not speak Japanese 😉 

• Like 9

Good afternoon.  We stopped for the day about 1 1/2 hours ago, and it’s taken me this long getting settled and reading through all the posts.

I like Live Long and Prosper day, but I really like International Dailyites Day to celebrate this great group of people from many different countries.

The meal suggestion sounds good, and we’re always looking for new ways to cook salmon.  Normally, I only use sage in dressing and meatloaf.  Really like raw spinach and wilted spinach in pasta dishes, but do not like cooked spinach.  The drink sounds refreshing and both suggestions for additions are appealing.

We were in Rarotonga in 2004 on the Tahitian Princess.  We took the bus around the island; then walked around town.  Unfortunately, all my pictures are on my computer which is not set up.  Enjoyed seeing other’s pictures.

@DeeniEncinitas Your little bird has really grown.

@superoma and Mrs. @VMax1700 congratulations on your shot appointments.

@JazzyV Great picture of you and Leonard Nimoy.

@St. Louis Sal 🤞Fingers crossed you are accepted for the trial and that it works for you.

@durangoscots Hope all the plans for the HS are approved.  Seems like you found an understanding architect.

One last post on yesterday’s saga about the motorhome and the semi.  It was finally loaded onto the trailer and the trailer was hooked to the semi sometime before 10:30 last night.  The semi pulled out sometime a little later.  Still don’t know what the problem was, but DH said there were pieces of plastic on the ground after the rv pulled out of the camp site.

Lenda 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@St. Louis Sal will definitely keep you in my prayers to get into the drug trial.

@VMax1700great news that your DW is getting her jab tomorrow, with a date for her second one as well!

@JazzyV - great photo; I'm jealous!

@Overhead Fredbefore I retired, a police officer friend told me that this defined retirement:  Every day's a Saturday, and every night's a Friday.  It's true!  If I'm ever asked those cognitive questions for dementia, there's no way I could tell them the date (maybe the day), because I'm retired and don't care!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, I'm late, but I have an excuse - getting my hair cut.  It's really short now, should last for a while.  Good news about @VMax1700's wife, and others lined up for their vaccinations.  I do not understand anyone not wanting to be protected from this awful disease!  My hairdresser, who has asthma like DD, said she is so hoping to get hers soon.

On our Westerdam cruise in April, 2016 (with Jacqui @kazu), we missed Fanning Island and Rarotonga, all we got was "scenic cruising", although I think there was a medical evacuation on one of the tenders which did manage to squeeze into the dock.

P1020482.thumb.JPG.1357cda55b0e115898246962a16c156f.JPG

P1020519.thumb.JPG.e93a93bc78d29d53c954963753a488de.JPG

P1020492.thumb.JPG.9d9ad74e2cafc1d0e49b8f96243fb16b.JPG

P1020533.thumb.JPG.0bd891335248b4b5880d9299c8ac3222.JPG

I was on that cruise too. Watching that tender move the med evac was incredible, the way it was bucking.

Then we had to switch the order some ports [to make sure we got fuel], but we did get an overnight in Raiatea after cancelling those 2 ports.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We were also on the April, 2016 Westerdam cruise that missed Roratonga (was it really that long ago?) I was determined to get there and found a wonderful 12 night tour through that big box "C" store for a very reasonable price. It was an amazing trip.

Welcome to posting on the Daily.

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We were also on the April, 2016 Westerdam cruise that missed Roratonga (was it really that long ago?) I was determined to get there and found a wonderful 12 night tour through that big box "C" store for a very reasonable price. It was an amazing trip.

Hi & welcome!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Thanl you very much for those fabulous pictures of yours. I wonder where this Seven Eleven is located. The place looks very weird I shall say. In any case, I wish you a great time cruising 

Have you ever been to Taipei? There’s a Seven Eleven about every two blocks. Every single neighbourhood has their own Seven Eleven. They’re exactly the same except they sell tea eggs to go instead of hot dogs. Stepping out of a cab after a 12 hour flight to Asia and seeing a Seven Eleven across the road seriously messes with your mind.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

It was interesting to read everyone’s comments about Rarotonga; I was not the only one to experience those high seas!

I was glad we did not miss Fanning Island. That was HAL’s first visit and I was on the first tender along with some of the crew and other passengers like myself, bringing school supplies, dental supplies & other gifts. The visibility on the way over was so bad that I was worried our pilot was going to miss the island altogether. (Was it on here that I heard HAL is no longer allowing passengers to bring items to distribute to charities on cruises?)

Thanks to all for the prayers and best wishes for my drug trial 🥰

St Louis Sal

• Like 10

Thanks for the daily updates, photos and humour.

Weather conditions prevented Maasdam passengers from being able to tender ashore on the day we were scheduled for Rarotonga, scenic cruising instead.

The Cook Islands have no Covid- 19

The Cook Islands Prime Minister is visiting  NZ,  met with our PM yesterday,  opening of an isolation free travel  "Bubble"  was discussed, which maybe will happen in May. 

Keep well, stay safe everyone.

• Like 13