How, When and Where will Crewmembers be Vaccinated in time for June cruises?

TeeRick

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If there is a cruise ship in port (in US waters), is it OK for those crew members onboard that are allowed to go ashore, can they get a COVID shot?

I cannot say with certainty, but the way I read the link that I posted they would be (and I agree they should) be eligible

Will returning crew even enter the US if they will be sailing from Nassau, St Maarten, Bermuda, etc?  Doesn't seem right that they should be allowed to fly from Philippines to Miami, get a shot and then board another plane to the Caribbean.  Seems more likely that they will have to get a shot somewhere outside the US.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I know but that's not what I asked.  In our state the HHS Secretary has stated many times they weren't allowed to restrict residents of other states from coming to ours as the vaccine is being provided by the federal government. 

Each state has their own restrictions/guidelines for vaccinations. In our state you must provide proof that you either live and/or work here. A few days ago a group of people from a neighboring state were turned away at a local pharmacy when they tried to get their shots here.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Thanks 1

Ok we are kind of distracted from my original post. But yes we do often go sideways! 😀I am not trying to debate US or state policy for foreign workers getting vaccines.  Or which states in the US are ahead of others.  Or anything like that.  Actually why would the US state's vaccine status even matter? 

Looking for some information on the cruise industry solution.  I am simply asking here (post 1 on this thread) if anybody knows anything at all on what has RCG communicated to their crew members on how they are going to solve the problem of getting them fully vaccinated (with appropriate waiting periods) by the first cruises in June.  Only the You Tube posted by paulh84 post #2 gets to the question so far.  The crew members (at least that one) do not have any idea on how this will be done.  I was hoping that a TA or company rep or a Q&A might address this.  A key gap in our knowledge for the early restart of cruising.  But IMO a big hurdle to overcome.  And not a lot of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As with many items regarding the upcoming cruises, I do not believe RCL or Celebrity knows the exact procedures they will follow for getting the crew vaccinated.  With COVID cases increasing again in many states, I would not be surprised if some or all of the planned cruises get cancelled.

• Like 1

Maryland is vaccinating out of state residents so those in PA should drive on down and get vaccinated.   The U.S., under the last president, procured more than enough vaccines for the entire population of the U.S.   Biden has also procured even more vaccines so we have more than enough for everyone.   According to the New York Times, there will be a surplus of vaccines in the U.S. by May.   I hope we will share them rather than letting them expire.   They all have a shelf life.

• Like 1

According to this article, DHS has stated that undocumented immigrants residing in the US are entitled to get vaccinated.  https://abcnews.go.com/US/rite-aid-apologizes-undocumented-immigrants-denied-covid-19/story?id=76590963

I am not sure how/if this would apply to crew.

Just now, cruiserchuck said:

According to this article, DHS has stated that undocumented immigrants residing in the US are entitled to get vaccinated. https://abcnews.go.com/US/rite-aid-apologizes-undocumented-immigrants-denied-covid-19/story?id=76590963

I am not sure how/if this would apply to crew.

I do not know the answer, but I def hope it applies to them as well.  From what I can see in the order, seems to me it would though.

I believe there is a distinct difference between someone residing here and someone coming in, getting a shot, and then immediately leaving the country.  Florida did actually allow anyone to get the vaccine early on because no one was checking residency status.  That was a loophole that DeSantis closed.  It would be politically fraught to open it back up, especially until all Florida residents who want a vaccine get a vaccine.  The federal government could also step in and say "no" since they're the ones ultimately controlling supply. 

The rate of vaccination in Florida would have to increase pretty sharply in order for them to get all willing residents fully vaccinated in time to offer "extra" supply to any other groups.  You need time for the vaccines to become effective (2 weeks with 1-shot; 35 days minimum for Pfizer; 42 days for Moderna).  Florida is around 14% of its population at full vaccination.

• Like 1

The link @LGW59 posted states "residing in the United States".   I can't see any way the majority of crew members would satisfy this condition.

To the OP's point, if they have a plan it's not public and not sure it will ever be made public, much like many of their other protocols.   I'm pretty disappointed with how Celebrity is handling communication.  If everything is still up and the air and subject to change, maybe it really isn't time to restart.  RCL's communication has been much better.

• Like 2

Is this thread overlooking the fact that India is the biggest producer of vaccines in the world? As many crew come from Asia, could the cruise lines have done a deal with Indian producers to supply vaccines for crew, at a cost?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-19/inside-covid-19-vaccine-development-in-india/12980614

4 hours ago, kearney said:

Won't the crew need to prepare ships that have been sitting around for a year with only basic cleaning and maintenance.... need to get there early? Also, many will likely need to be retrained on new procedures... so if you flew crews into Florida.... get them the J&J vaccine and then send them to their ships to spend two weeks or whatever the min time is... to get the ships ready and get them retrained. I suspect the Governor of Florida would find vaccines needed. Remember by May 1 they plan on opening up vaccinations to everyone (over 16 or 18). GA has already opened it up to anyone who wants it. Once vaccinated ship them off to their new home ports.

No one should be getting a vaccine in the US that is NOT a US citizen!  The Governor of Florida, nor any other US official should be doling out vaccine to foreign crew on any cruise ship.  I can guarantee you that any hint of that would generate some very bad publicity for both the cruise lines and the Governor of any state that would unlawfully divert vaccines away from US residents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Since the vaccine supply is being paid for by the federal government is it legal for any of these doses be provided to non US residents?

No.  It is not legal for doses to be diverted to non-US residents.

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

No one should be getting a vaccine in the US that is NOT a US citizen!  The Governor of Florida, nor any other US official should be doling out vaccine to foreign crew on any cruise ship.  I can guarantee you that any hint of that would generate some very bad publicity for both the cruise lines and the Governor of any state that would unlawfully divert vaccines away from US residents.

You def have the right to personally feel that way, but the law differs from your personal feelings

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

You def have the right to personally feel that way, but the law differs from your personal feelings

That is incorrect.  The federal government retains control of all vaccine distribution at this time and has designated that US residents are the only individuals eligible for the vaccine at this time.  Cruise crew from foreign countries would not be eligible.  I live in Florida and for a time after the vaccines were initially released, we had residents of Canada (as well as US states outside of Florida) coming here to be vaccinated.  That was halted by the Governor himself.  Vaccines are distributed by state population levels.  There certainly are no "extra" vaccines available at this time to be doled out to those from other countries.

13 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Florida’s governor desperately wants to open up Cruising, or at least that’s what he claims. He can probably figure out a way to get crewmembers vaccinated if that’s what it would take.

Yep.  And get him a whole lot more negative publicity.  He has already been questioned about giving vaccines out to only certain over 65 populations in this state so I don't think he would want to buy into any more trouble.  I love cruising and want it to come back too, but given the fact that I have numerous family members, friends and neighbors in this state that are in desperate need of vaccines I would be livid to find out that those vaccine doses had been secreted away to benefit international cruise lines!

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Is this thread overlooking the fact that India is the biggest producer of vaccines in the world? As many crew come from Asia, could the cruise lines have done a deal with Indian producers to supply vaccines for crew, at a cost?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-19/inside-covid-19-vaccine-development-in-india/12980614

It was reported earlier in the week that India has temporarily halted all exports of the AstraZeneca vaccine citing the need to prioritise domestic needs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-55571793

5 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

That is incorrect.  The federal government retains control of all vaccine distribution at this time and has designated that US residents are the only individuals eligible for the vaccine at this time.  Cruise crew from foreign countries would not be eligible.  I live in Florida and for a time after the vaccines were initially released, we had residents of Canada (as well as US states outside of Florida) coming here to be vaccinated.  That was halted by the Governor himself.  Vaccines are distributed by state population levels.  There certainly are no "extra" vaccines available at this time to be doled out to those from other countries.

Not me speaking, just presenting the facts, you'll find something wrong with it on a personal level, but here it is.  

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/02/01/dhs-statement-equal-access-covid-19-vaccines-and-vaccine-distribution-sites

Not me speaking, just presenting the facts, you'll find something wrong with it on a personal level, but here it is.  

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/02/01/dhs-statement-equal-access-covid-19-vaccines-and-vaccine-distribution-sites

You know perfectly well that the statement you cite has nothing to do with vaccinating individuals from foreign countries coming here to be transferred to a cruise ship.  That statement has to do with border patrol being able to question individuals receiving the vaccine based on the legality of their residence here in the US.  There is no way that includes any cruise lines flying crew through Florida to receive a vaccine courtesy of the State of Florida!

13 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

You know perfectly well that the statement you cite has nothing to do with vaccinating individuals from foreign countries coming here to be transferred to a cruise ship.  That statement has to do with border patrol being able to question individuals receiving the vaccine based on the legality of their residence here in the US.  There is no way that includes any cruise lines flying crew through Florida to receive a vaccine courtesy of the State of Florida!

very last line of the US Govt statement:  DHS is committed to ensuring that every individual who needs a vaccine can get one, regardless of their immigration status.

Just now, LGW59 said:

very last line of the US Govt statement:  DHS is committed to ensuring that every individual who needs a vaccine can get one, regardless of their immigration status.

"Immigration status" is the key there.  Cruise line crew members are not immigrating to the US.  They would be transiting through the US to board a cruise ship.  "Immigration status" in the DHS statement relates directly to those individuals who have been resident and living in the US on an undocumented basis.  I will not venture into the politics of the situation, but it is a direct response to questions that were raised about vaccinating undocumented immigrants who have been living and working in the US.  I can assure you that transiting crew through the US do not qualify.  That would be the same as any other resident of any country in the world flying into the US simply to get a vaccination and then flying out.  Not allowed.  The US has made a commitment to share vaccine doses with the rest of the world when our residents have had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated, and not until then.