What Would It Take for a Cruise Line to Shut Itself Down?

jtwind

Since the pandemic started, it seems that all of the cruise lines that tried to restart then shut back down again, decided to do so on their own.  (Is this correct?)  So now that cruises are scheduled to start again in the Caribbean, what would it take for these guys to decide to shut back down (or be shut down by another authority)?  

1 hour ago, jtwind said:

it seems that all of the cruise lines that tried to restart then shut back down again, decided to do so on their own.  (Is this correct?)

It seems that the few lines that are cruising seem to be doing so based on government policy as much as internal decision making.  Both MSC and Mein Schiff have seem to have remained open since they started a return to cruising.  Did they both pause over the early winter?

Like you, I am not sure.  Maybe someone has looked into this and  can comment?  My gut suggests that commercial enterprises would always be more eager to keep business going than government regulators.  Of course a business might voluntarily shut down if they viewed the costs too high - including liability.

Edited by SelectSys

If I remember correctly, Hurtigruten and Seadream shut themselves down because they had a few cases on board.  So, a single case was too much.  Now, the ships in the Caribbean will have special quarantine units and medical facilities onboard.  So how many cases is going to be enough to stop a particular cruise, cruise ship, or cruise line.  Certainly not a single case anymore.  Or, maybe.

2 hours ago, jtwind said:

If I remember correctly, Hurtigruten and Seadream shut themselves down because they had a few cases on board.  So, a single case was too much.  Now, the ships in the Caribbean will have special quarantine units and medical facilities onboard.  So how many cases is going to be enough to stop a particular cruise, cruise ship, or cruise line.  Certainly not a single case anymore.  Or, maybe.

I suspect it will be similar to previous shut down, when the ships have COVID cases and no port will let them dock, the cruises will again have to shut down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

What is Barbados thinking in terms of tourists

now that vaccines are becoming more available to the public generally?

Fully vaccinated is wonderful (walk with certification)

but a recent (72 hrs.) negative PCR test carries much weight, as well!

Until herd immunity is achieved

via the vast majority of mankind being vaccinated (a year away, yet?)

that negative-result PCR test will continue to carry much weight.

I'm unsure as to visitors being required to do 3 days quarantine

before being free to wander,

but our protocols can be found on the internet, I'm sure.

MASKS while out in public are the current necessity

especially to gain entry to Banks, supermarkets, shops

and other indoor venues.

Our latest Covid dashboard looks like this...

(Island population is about 290,000..)

- and the oversize 9x5 blue card we get looks like...

NEWS for 28th March.jpg

As at 28th March.png

Barbados Covid Cert blue card.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 10:00 AM, jtwind said:

Since the pandemic started, it seems that all of the cruise lines that tried to restart then shut back down again, decided to do so on their own.  (Is this correct?)  So now that cruises are scheduled to start again in the Caribbean, what would it take for these guys to decide to shut back down (or be shut down by another authority)?  

An outbreak of Covid in their home port ,perhaps.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, SelectSys said:

Both MSC and Mein Schiff have seem to have remained open since they started a return to cruising.  Did they both pause over the early winter?

MSC and Costa both had winter "pauses" at the request of Italian government as an attempt to slow the surging tide of COVID cases over the holidays. I think Costa's lasted rather longer than expected...

I cannot recall what the situation was for TUI.

• Like 1