The Vaccine Card, Laminate, Yes, No

roger001

2 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Just curious, but why?  

Personally I would not consider laminating until I actually needed to use the card as proof of vaccination. Something that may or may not ever happen. Even then laminating might not be a good idea. I am keeping the card in my fire bag with my passport and some other documents. As for copies,.....I have scanned the card so if I ever need a printed copy I can print a copy at any time.

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Just curious, but why?  

Because I didn’t want to waste a whole sheet of lamination for use one small COVID vaccine card. So, I made several copies and laminated those, too.  I put one in my briefcase, one in my rollaboard luggage, etc.

If anyone, at any time, requires my proof of COVID vaccine, I’ve got it, no matter what I do, or where I go......even if I lose one (or more).

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 4:29 PM, hallux said:

I got my second shot this afternoon.  I went to the Staples next door as I had heard that they will laminate for free.  They will, but if you want a copy to be laminated instead (highly suggested) they will do it (mine was done double-sided even) for a small fee, $2.56.  I just wish they'd made the cards a LITTLE smaller to fit in my every-day carry "wallet", especially when you add lamination...

My Staples made and laminated a copy for free.  

I only went in to buy some the material to laminate the card myself and was pleasantly surprised when I was told they would do it for free.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

My Staples made and laminated a copy for free. 

Would be nice if the entire process was free.

Office Max/Office Depot is also doing it.  I actually work for a subsidiary of them and if I had remembered that my work location is very close to one of their stores I might have been able to get it done 100% free, but in the moment I was thinking it would cost me as much in gas to get to the nearest store as it was costing me to have Staples do it...

35 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

What will you do about the booster shots if the card is laminated?. That is why they left room for boosters below your vax on the card. We were told not to laminate the card when we got our second dose.

They would give you another card if they can’t put it on the card. I have not laminated my card but I was not told not to. Nor was I told the other spaces were for boosters.The purpose of the CDC card was so people would know when to take their second dose. They put the time and date of second shot appointment on the back.  

14 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They would give you another card if they can’t put it on the card. I have not laminated my card but I was not told not to. Nor was I told the other spaces were for boosters.The purpose of the CDC card was so people would know when to take their second dose. They put the time and date of second shot appointment on the back.  

Then you have to worry about carrying/losing/damaging 2 separate cards, not just one. No thanks.

And not everyone's vaccination center was the same. I've never heard of anyone around here having that done to the back of their cards, especially since you couldn't even make your second appointment until it registered in the system that you had received and completed your first.

1 minute ago, Sailing12Away said:

Then you have to worry about carrying/losing/damaging 2 separate cards, not just one. No thanks.

And not everyone's vaccination center was the same. I've never heard of anyone around here having that done to the back of their cards, especially since you couldn't even make your second appointment until it registered in the system that you had received and completed your first.

What makes you think there will be enough spaces on the card for all future boosters if there are boosters? Or that the cards will even be used for future boosters? You are overthinking the cards. They are not meant to be vaccine passports. If there are vaccine passports I suspect they won’t be using those cards. Too easy to duplicate. 

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

What makes you think there will be enough spaces on the card for all future boosters if there are boosters? Or that the cards will even be used for future boosters? You are overthinking the cards. They are not meant to be vaccine passports. If there are vaccine passports I suspect they won’t be using those cards. Too easy to duplicate. 

Of course not, but considering people are looking towards traveling within the next 6-9 months, and the electronic universal vaccine passport will probably take longer to sort out - folks will need those paper cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

I would suggest having it tattooed on your forehead.  That way in the New World Order you will be free to move about certain restricted without showing your 'papers'.  This is just the beginning.

If so, then we only have ourselves to blame. How sad that being inconvenienced for 30 mins while you shop at the grocery store with a mask on was too much for some folks and we couldn't contain the spread of the virus at this time last year. Our actions last year have shown that overall, Americans are not very bright and are a selfish "me first" group - hence the restrictions when the consequences of those actions affect many others beyond just oneself.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

And not everyone's vaccination center was the same. I've never heard of anyone around here having that done to the back of their cards, especially since you couldn't even make your second appointment until it registered in the system that you had received and completed your first

My second shot was scheduled when I was contacted to be offered the first - scheduled the first dose (more of an "I'll be there later today" situation), second dose and annual check all in the same call, and did the annual checkup, blood draw and vaccine in one visit to the building.  I wasn't going to a FEMA/CDC/State/County vaccine site though, it was through the medical group my GP is a member of.  I believe my dad was given the date and time for his second shot when he went for the first, at a state-run vaccine site and my mom was the same at a county-run site.

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They put the time and date of second shot appointment on the back.  

My center did not. 

And with the current obsession over the cards, they will be used for the first few boosters. Those who have already had boosters have records of their third shots. 

When we got our first shot, we were asked/urged/but not required to register with the VSAFE CDC web site.  We did so and created an account.  Each day for about 2 weeks after the shot we received a text message asking us to report any side effects we may be having.  We do what is asked and it takes about 15 seconds.  This helps give the CDC the data on possible side effects that they report.  And when we log in to our account, it shows our names, birth date, what type of vaccine we received, where and when, etc.   Seems to me that is good "proof" if I ever have to show it.

• Like 2

Our cards from our county site in NJ were like some others.  The reverse side showed our second appointment which was scheduled when we got our first shot.  The front side has stickers for each of our doses with the vaccine information.  Basically, once they put the stickers on there really isn't any room for any boosters to be added as the sticker pretty much takes up 2 lines each.

That said, I didn't laminate mine, but ordered a plastic sleeve.  My kids laminated theirs, hopefully they wouldn't have any issues.

We were never told not to laminate though.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

My center did not. 

And with the current obsession over the cards, they will be used for the first few boosters. Those who have already had boosters have records of their third shots. 

It is more likely if there are boosters they will give you a new card for each booster. Or there will be digital record system by then. Also if there are boosters you would not need to show the first vaccination (s). Your vaccination immunity would be based on your most recent shot. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

It is more likely if there are boosters they will give you a new card for each booster.

Which is counter to what I was advised when I got my second shot Tuesday.  The person administering the shot advised AGAINST laminating the original because there were lines for additional shots in case boosters were needed.  I don't see why they would issue a new card for a booster...

27 minutes ago, hallux said:

Which is counter to what I was advised when I got my second shot Tuesday.  The person administering the shot advised AGAINST laminating the original because there were lines for additional shots in case boosters were needed.  I don't see why they would issue a new card for a booster...

You all are obsessing over something that does not make a difference. If you get a booster it will only be the most recent shot that means anything. Otherwise you would not need a booster. So it does not matter if the booster is recorded on your first card or a new card. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hallux said:

Would be nice if the entire process was free.

Office Max/Office Depot is also doing it.  I actually work for a subsidiary of them and if I had remembered that my work location is very close to one of their stores I might have been able to get it done 100% free, but in the moment I was thinking it would cost me as much in gas to get to the nearest store as it was costing me to have Staples do it...

I saw on the website that Office Max/Office Depot required a coupon available online.

Not sure if this is correct but it would be nice for people to know.

Doctor here.

Are you all fellow Americans and talking about the 3x5"-ish CDC COVID vaccination card?

My thought is: Don't depend on it being good for international travel. It might be, but let's face it, there's lots of reasons why you'll probably be using something else for travel between the US and many other places. The first couple of things that come to mind are:

• The current global standard is the "International Certification of Vaccination or Prophylaxis" authorized by the World Health Organization. Most of us recognize this as a piece of yellow cardstock that folds in half to about the length and width of a business card. (They come in different colors depending on the era and the country issuing them.)  You may have got one from a travel medicine clinic when they gave to vaccinations for things like Yellow Fever for travel to third world or tropical countries. It's realistic to think that some countries you may want to travel to would not take the white CDC card because it's not WHO-approved.
  • Both the CDC and the ICVP cards are easily forgeable. In times past, no one would think about forging a vaccination card. But this pandemic has revealed that there are many people who (for reasons including self-centeredness, misinformation, ignorance and stupidity) would do exactly that, just as they have chosen to endanger others by refusing to wear masks, etc.

So, I'm definitely keeping my white CDC card, but I'm fully expecting to need to get some kind of high-security, holographic hard copy version or highly-secure app in order to travel to many destinations.

Some think the vaccination cards will be a valid proof of vaccination status.

Here's an interesting article on Vaccine Passports:

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-19-vaccine-passport-travel-immunization-challenges-privacy-equality-2021-3?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

"COVID-19 passports (vaccination cards are different but a form of a passport) have been hailed as the key to opening up the global economy, but some privacy and health experts doubt they'll ever be widely accepted."