Upcoming HBO documentary outlines Diamond Princess CV story

KirkNC

1 hour ago, kazu said:

When is it on, Kirk?  Do you know?  

I didn’t see anything in the article but I skimmed due to alarmist nature of this site.  Thanks 🙂 

It’s on HBO Max apparently starting today.

Was on at 9 pm tonight on HBO.  Only 40 minutes. Well done. Just covered the facts of what happened. Not bashing Princess at all. We enjoyed it. One of the people said they loved cruising and this wouldn’t dissuade them to take another cruise.  They said we have another booked for May 2020. Well, that didn’t happen. No one really knew much about Covid when that cruise got stuck. After quarantining for 14 days, Americans were flown home in a cargo plane. Not a way to end a holiday.  

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks.  I just wanted the day and time and I would have looked as we do have HBO.  Your link unfortunately takes me to HBO’s regular advertising.

I’ll go looking.  Appreciate it though. 🙂 

It’s supposed to be available on demand. At least here.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks.  I just wanted the day and time and I would have looked as we do have HBO.  Your link unfortunately takes me to HBO’s regular advertising.

I’ll go looking.  Appreciate it though. 🙂 

We actually watched this last week, and I can't remember which channel it was on because I was channel surfing, and happened on it a few minutes in.  Very interesting, especially from our "now" viewpoint after all we have learned in the past year.  (We don't have HBO, it was on a regular TV channel).

Edited by T8NCruise
to add some info

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

It’s supposed to be available on demand. At least here.

5 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

We actually watched this last week, and I can't remember which channel it was on because I was channel surfing, and happened on it a few minutes in.  Very interesting, especially from our "now" viewpoint after all we have learned in the past year.  (We don't have HBO, it was on a regular TV channel).

Thanks both.  If it’s available on demand, I’ll find it 🙂 

I just watched it on HBO Max and thought it was well done.  It uses video from three or four passengers and some crew members and recreates their experiences.  It’s not judgmental or critical of Princess but I suspect many who watch it may never get on a cruise ship. 

26 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I can't imagine what it must have been like to be quarantined in your inside cabin.

The worst scenes were the crew quarters, four crew packed in one room.  Not surprisingly, many crew members contracted the virus.

17 hours ago, wesport said:

After quarantining for 14 days, Americans were flown home in a cargo plane. Not a way to end a holiday.  

And I can't forget that they were flown home in the cargo planes to military bases where they had another 14 day quarantine! It truly was the "holiday" that would never end!

"More than 300 American cruise ship passengers, including 14 who tested positive for coronavirus, were being quarantined at military bases in California and Texas on Monday after arriving from Japan on charter flights overnight.

One plane carrying cruise passengers touched down at Travis Air Force Base in Northern California just before midnight Sunday, while another arrived at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas early Monday. The passengers will remain at the bases for two weeks."

https://apnews.com/article/8296fc5a288587fe08a70fb72d4c433c

I wish they had a part 2 following the people - remember the man and his wife (the one with the blonde hair, that were doing the exercising in their cabin) when the wife came up positive and was in the Japanese hospital and he had to stay on the ship? It appears after his flight to Travis where at the end of his 14 day quarantine he came up positive too and was hospitalized x 3 (all turned out OK):

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/couple-separated-pacific-ocean-coronavirus/story?id=69255127

• Like 1

We just watched this on demand this morning. I debated if I wanted to watch because we had cruised on the Diamond Princess out of Yokohama twice and most recently September of 2019. The Captain on board was the same Captain from our cruise. But I was pleased that the documentary was done quite well, really no placing blame, just facts. I think everyone involved learned a lot from this unfortunately situation and there were many things that could have been done differently.

It all honesty watching it did not scare me because I know what the cruise lines have learned from this. I already knew that the crew worked very hard and they in many way were the behind the scenes heroes that in the beginning days of the quarantine worked very hard.  Watching actually just made me miss cruising even more and brought back our very fond memories of our Japan cruises on the Diamond. We are booked to return to sail the Diamond again out of Yokohama in September 2022 and very much looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Watched it earlier today.  I thought it was well done and really brought home the crew’s predicament.  I felt for them working through this, in close knit quarters and stranded while everyone else got off.

Excellent fair documentary IMO.

• Like 1

We watched it last night and also thought very well done!  I followed Jeri Goldman’s posts and pics on another Social Media site.  They had a great attitude and really made the best of a bad situation.  They were traveling with Friends and when they were all Quarantined they said they rather  keep the Balcony Divider open since they have been together up to that point.  She told of “Movie Nights” they would have, etc.  

The Crew did an amazing job and agree with everyone on the tight Crew Quarters and those in Inside Rooms.  I remember the story of a couple in an Inside Room with three small children.  Yikes. Princess supplied them with games, etc. to help pass the time for the kids.  I can only imagine!  

I also found it interesting that it was discovered on DP that the Virus could be transmitted by people who were Asymptomatic.