Florida sues CDC, demanding cruise ships be allowed to sail immediately

Well, that escalated faster than I thought:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/04/08/gov-ron-desantis-sues-cdc-demanding-cruise-ships-be-allowed-to-sail-immediately/

To make this Carnival related (they are mentioned in the article), I wonder if Ms. Duffy's recent remarks played into encouraging this move.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Just like all the vaccine supporters have said. No one has to get on a cruise ship with unvaccinated passengers if they do not want to. They have the choice to stay home. 

My point is that if you are going to govern then do it for all potential passengers; not just Florida residents. I value my safety and my family's safety much more than Cruising. To me if you are going to be totally against the Vaccine Passport then you should also be totally against "Suing" an entity that represents the safety of all people. 

To your point those "Unvaccinated" passengers that will miss the Cruises from Florida will also help the State "Miss" some revenue targets. Be careful what we wish for.   

We can lift the mask mandate in many states and allow people to go around infecting other people.  The CDC doesn't jump on that yet it won't let the ships sail??  And we can allow the spring breakers to go to their destinations and social distance...yeah right!!   I don't get it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Anyislandwilldo said:

We can lift the mask mandate in many states and allow people to go around infecting other people.  The CDC doesn't jump on that yet it won't let the ships sail??  And we can allow the spring breakers to go to their destinations and social distance...yeah right!!   I don't get it.

To beat the dead horse again:

The CDC does not recommend any of that - look at their website.  But they can't control it - it doesn't fall under their purview.

International travel (inbound) does fall under their control, and in particular pleasure cruising is an easy subject to categorize and control.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

If the CDC was so " concerned" about safety...they would require all automobile drivers to wear crash helmets.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Exactly. It's not about bashing anyone. This is more about common everyday sense. Many of the essential business "those businesses that we had no idea how they qualified" still have employees that have not been vaccinated. I really feel a heartfelt sadness for all of the fast food workers who are just now able to start getting vaccines. This type of move is insane. Those individuals are also risking their lives by dealing with hundreds of customers each day. The news reports shows that many States (Florida included) are not enforcing the mask wearing in some of these establishments. Where is the "Caring" in these types of mandates?

God bless us all as we eventually travel to Florida to Cruise.      

• Like 2

I think this could be a positive move to encourage a working with the cruise industry instead of dictating to the industry. It may come to nothing and be just grandstanding in Florida but the real truth of the matter is it's not just Carnival Corp. losing money but untold numbers of people that were reliant on at least part if not all of their livelihood from the port side support of the industry- plus the untold people globally that are also struggling from a year of no work. In the end, as well, cruising will restart and all the risks that people are worried about regarding a COVID outbreak will still happen because American's, like myself, will just fly to Mexico (like many are already doing for resorts and have for nearly a year now) board the ship, sail and fly home and the CDC order will do nothing except transfer my pre and post cruise dollars to Mexico. That's the thing to remember here- the current order doesn't stop the coming cruise re-start- it just makes it more likely that the restart will happen outside U.S. oversight and guidance. Is that really better? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

I won't even comment.

If your bolded commentary from me is not a viable solution then what do you propose? We have already seen states that won't mandate anything (mask, social distancing, clean hands, etc.). You can't place a higher emphasis on "Profits" and forget about "People".  Somebody has to be the bigger person and step out and lead the "Safety" charge. Certain Governor's sure are not.   

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

This vaccine passport is a joke cause it doesnt mean that you wont catch a virus. It only means that you will have easier time to fight it. 

How will a passport vs having a vaccine card as proof have anything to do with fighting the virus. ??

Nevermind....as usual rather than say yea florida for trying to get cruising started ccl boards want to fight and make statements that arent supported by any logic.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've also seen no proof shut downs work. Or do you think numbers lie if they dont show what you want?

Go florida. I'm planning on being there in about a month.

TV is saying there has been a underhanded salacious attempt hoping florida fails. Sorry it didnt happen. People want covid to last forever. It fuels their negative narratives. 

https://kfor.com/news/uk-cases-drop-60-due-to-vaccines-lockdown/

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've also seen no proof shut downs work. Or do you think numbers lie if they dont show what you want?

Go florida. I'm planning on being there in about a month.

TV is saying there has been a underhanded salacious attempt hoping florida fails. Sorry it didnt happen. People want covid to last forever. It fuels their negative narratives. 

I'm getting the impression the CDC will not allow any sailings until there is a "CURE" for Covid.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How is using my vaccine card, and not a vaccine passport playing with your safety? Inquiring minds want to know ... well maybe not. Makes no sense to me. 

I'll be boarding with my vaccine card, while I wave to you on the banks waiting on your passport. It's ok if you want to stay home whining you demand we use vaccine passports. My card will work just fine.

While you are waving at me you may be "Quarantined" due to non Vaccine Passport enforcement. Those same card carriers may just be only "carrying" the card and never been vaccinated. It's been reported that "Fake" cards are on the market as we speak. 

Go ahead and take the risk I am sure that your Cruise Review will be interesting. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How is using my vaccine card, and not a vaccine passport playing with your safety? Inquiring minds want to know ... well maybe not. Makes no sense to me. 

I'll be boarding with my vaccine card, while I wave to you on the banks waiting on your passport. It's ok if you want to stay home whining you demand we use vaccine passports. My card will work just fine.

^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

To make this Carnival related (they are mentioned in the article), I wonder if Ms. Duffy's recent remarks played into encouraging this move.

and I think Carnival made it clear they want no part of the suit. Neither does CLIA or others. They know it is better to work together and compromise on something that works without sacrificing human lives. The nut case can go it alone. Florida is one of the states where Covid cases are rising.

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

This vaccine passport is a joke cause it doesnt mean that you wont catch a virus. It only means that you will have easier time to fight it. 

I would say that risk is a facet of life but I would also say the the Pfizer vaccine is very nearly 100 percent effective and will, yes, some people will still catch COVID with the vaccine, although statistically it would round up to 100 percent. That said  the point is to not die- that's the whole point in fact in getting the vaccine. I assume that's what you mean by "vaccine passport" the vaccine itself as represented by a card or passport. 

• Like 2

Just now, jetsfan58 said:

While you are waving at me you may be "Quarantined" due to non Vaccine Passport enforcement. Those same card carriers may just be only "carrying" the card and never been vaccinated. It's been reported that "Fake" cards are on the market as we speak. 

Go ahead and take the risk I am sure that your Cruise Review will be interesting. 

And you don't think those "vaccine passports" can't be faked.  All the vaccine cards have a unique serial number that is easly crosschecked.

1 minute ago, jetsfan58 said:

Titled something like "I spent a week locked in an inside cabin with nothing to eat but room service food?"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jasonsterling said:

I would say that risk is a facet of life but I would also say the the Pfizer vaccine is very nearly 100 percent effective and will, yes, some people will still catch COVID with the vaccine, although statistically it would round up to 100 percent. That said  the point is to not die- that's the whole point in fact in getting the vaccine. I assume that's what you mean by "vaccine passport" the vaccine itself as represented by a card or passport. 

So far, with known mutations, perhaps. But for how long? As long as it spreads, it mutates.