Straws and masks

geckoaz

On 4/8/2021 at 1:43 PM, geckoaz said:

With reports that masks on beach threaten sealife..will masks go the way of straws on carnival?

I've never once had trouble getting a plastic straw if I wanted one on carnival.

How hard is it to ask for one. People act so helpless. If you want one easy. They arent gone. 

So on your analogy I guess either are masks? Idk hard to follow the logic.

On 4/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, geckoaz said:

With reports that masks on beach threaten sealife..will masks go the way of straws on carnival?

Sorry, this is not the approved agenda. We were saving the turtles by removing the straws. Now that you question masks, you must be a science-denier.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've never once had trouble getting a plastic straw if I wanted one on carnival.

How hard is it to ask for one. People act so helpless. If you want one easy. They arent gone. 

So on your analogy I guess either are masks? Idk hard to follow the logic.

I have. And it was extremely frustrating. Not only that, I couldn’t even get a paper straw or a sugar straw. They absolutely refused to provide a straw whenever ordering a non-alcoholic beverage

Your experience is very different than my recent experience just prior to the suspension of operations. In the same time period, I sailed on both Royal and Princess without any challenges receiving a straw when requested.

Carnival is why I don’t travel without a surplus of straws. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I have. And it was extremely frustrating. Not only that, I couldn’t even get a paper straw or a sugar straw. They absolutely refused to provide a straw whenever ordering a non-alcoholic beverage

Your experience is very different than my recent experience just prior to the suspension of operations. In the same time period, I sailed on both Royal and Princess without any challenges receiving a straw when requested.

Carnival is why I don’t travel without a surplus of straws. 

Could departure port make a difference? Galveston last on vista nov 2018. I skipped 2019, and 2020 skipped me. But nov 2018 lots of straws sitting out still. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I skipped 2019, and 2020 skipped me. But nov 2018 lots of straws sitting out still. 

Skipping 2019 turned out to be a dreadful decision, huh?  We squeezed in FOUR cruises in 2019 (wasn't easy with my boss) and I still feel like it's been forever.  Just waiting for cruise cancellations five and six (both September)...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Could departure port make a difference? Galveston last on vista nov 2018. I skipped 2019, and 2020 skipped me. But nov 2018 lots of straws sitting out still. 

Carnival didn’t care about turtles in 2018. It wasn’t the trend.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:01 AM, Joebucks said:

Sorry, this is not the approved agenda. We were saving the turtles by removing the straws. Now that you question masks, you must be a science-denier.

Darn. Four degrees and seven years of college down the drain. Look around your parking lots. Number one trash are masks. Carnival has had to look at things to limit pollution. Disposable masks may be next. Be safe. Get the shots. And watch out for each other. 

Edited by geckoaz
Correction
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I still can't believe people feel like they need a straw. Just learn to drink out of a glass or bring your own straw.

Straws are a tiny portion of single use plastic, but they are one of the easiest to live without. Similarly use a cloth mask.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, asalligo said:

At some point we must get rid of masks or make them from something more environmentally friendly. They seem to be blowing around every parking lot now. 

masks will go away soon but not today. And I see those masks even on residential streets 

35 minutes ago, asalligo said:

At some point we must get rid of masks or make them from something more environmentally friendly. They seem to be blowing around every parking lot now. 

May I have the privilege of asking "What were trash cans made for"? 

• Like 9

I remember a time when paper bags were destroying all the trees, so we all switched to plastic bags. Now the plastic is killing the ocean. We will never win this battle, we just have to dispose of our trash responsibly. Stop blaming everything on the product, if it was all disposed of properly we would have no worries. We all need to be held accountable for our actions, and proper disposal is  a BIG one. IMO

• Like 13

One must keep in mind that this "initiative" isn't limited to only Carnival, many companies (including many cruise lines) are trying to reduce the use of single use plastics, like straws. Some are doing it because they feel it's the right thing to do, some are doing it because of public image, and some are doing it to comply with local laws.

• Like 1

People can be lazy. How many times have you seen on Lido deck, people put half eaten plates of food under their chairs. Wind blows the food, cups, beer cans, etc.... They have only removed the straws and tooth pick umbrellas. You will see mask blowing around the deck and into the pool. 

I try to use straws less now when one of my friends said they caused wrinkles.  I don't need anymore of those 😆  I ordered some silicone ones for my last cruise to take with me if I wanted one.  Either way, Covid didn't help any of this waste...along with the masks, anyone order takeout?  Good grief, talk about wasteful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 5:13 AM, FSHLOT said:

I remember a time when paper bags were destroying all the trees, so we all switched to plastic bags. Now the plastic is killing the ocean. We will never win this battle, we just have to dispose of our trash responsibly. Stop blaming everything on the product, if it was all disposed of properly we would have no worries. We all need to be held accountable for our actions, and proper disposal is  a BIG one. IMO

THIS!  It's not the item that is the problem, it's the disposal of the item.  If the trash can be kept out of the ocean or picked out immediately, that would be more productive.  When I cruised out of Long Beach in 2019, I was disgusted to see trash everywhere near the port. I guess banning straws in CA makes people feel good, while their beaches are covered in trash.
When I cruised out of Florida, Galveston, and Baltimore and didn't see any trash.  Why can't the people in California get the trash out of the ocean?  Anyway, the item isn't the problem.  The disposal of the item is.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Look..do what make SENSE to you.  Masks don't make sense to me.  Neither does banning of straws.

I agree.  I am so tired of humoring people by wearing a mask.  I am fully vaccinated and pose no risk to anyone, yet I have to wear the darn mask in certain places to make people feel warm and fuzzy.  Even if I wasn't fully vaccinated, I believe the masks do more harm than good.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

THIS!  It's not the item that is the problem, it's the disposal of the item.  If the trash can be kept out of the ocean or picked out immediately, that would be more productive.  When I cruised out of Long Beach in 2019, I was disgusted to see trash everywhere near the port. I guess banning straws in CA makes people feel good, while their beaches are covered in trash.
When I cruised out of Florida, Galveston, and Baltimore and didn't see any trash.  Why can't the people in California get the trash out of the ocean?  Anyway, the item isn't the problem.  The disposal of the item is.

Well, sort of. With plastic there is also the problem of manufacturing it and that it isn't biodegradable and won't break down when it is disposed of in a land fill. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 3:57 PM, jetsfan58 said:

Remember that the sea animals did not make their habitats unsafe; we did. It's up to us to keep our beaches, oceans, rivers and all other recreational areas clean. That's as Simple as it gets. 

Florida is very aware of the animals. Perhaps there is still things to be done, but do not get caught messing with designated ones. Including turtles.