Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

14 minutes ago, wzimmer1 said:

Understood that CDC does not dictate Bermuda although there have been two confirmations on this forum that the BinaxNowAg Now is approved. There was one person also on here that Received a verbal confirmation and was also questioned.   It was stated to get it in writing which I did in a very clear and concise email .  I suggest you do your own research and contact Bermuda and get it in writing.  I also understand the risks of taking this test unless confirmed on the Bermuda government page.I wish the Bermuda government would make this clearer. You have to do what’s best for you . Best  wishes and happy sailing

One thing I have learned from a fair bit of world wide travel, is that regardless of documentation carried, you are entirely dependent on the decision of the actual Border Agent. While written approval may assist, the Border Agent has no requirement to even look at it. I have encountered numerous Border Agents that won't even look at supporting documentation, other than Passport, Seaman's Card, Discharge Book, International Vaccination Record, etc.

We deal with this every time we enter the US with our RV. Regardless of our research and ensuring we are in compliance, we have been thrown curves a few times, purely at the discretion of that Agent and their interpretation.

Personally, if I am travelling Internationally and a country states a PCR test is required, I am getting a PCR test. Doesn't guarantee stress free travel, but it sure reduces it significantly. As I posted previously, rapid PCR tests are available, but they are expensive. 

• Like 2

To try to avoid this nonsense, we are going to pay the $300 for the same-day full PCR test (results in <12 hours).  Good luck to anyone that tries anything else.

And we will likely get tested at two places that use different labs.  Just to be sure of getting results in time.  So pre-travel test will cost us upwards of $1,200.  Just the cost of business...

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

To try to avoid this nonsense, we are going to pay the $300 for the same-day full PCR test (results in <12 hours).  Good luck to anyone that tries anything else.

Ragnar - our next cruise isn't until Jan 23, but if negative COVID tests are still a requirement, we will happily pay for the rapid-PCR test. The cost is minimal compared to the overall cost of a Viking cruise.

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

We got lucky and found a place that will do them on a Sat and "only" charges $150 per test.

5 hours ago, Stempy said:

Still cannot get an answer from Viking... “ We are working on it”. If situation does not change, will cancel right before the time window. Too many unanswered questions and concerns with no direction from Viking.

Stempy, please let us know the moment you cancel.  We wouldn’t mind jumping on that OS if it becomes available.  It’s for my DW’s birthday, after all 🙂

Same goes to anyone canceling an ES1.

Viking does not have a “waitlist”, you have to call periodically if you want to snag a recently canceled cabin.  They often never make it back up on the website before being grabbed.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

54 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

And we will likely get tested at two places that use different labs.  Just to be sure of getting results in time.  So pre-travel test will cost us upwards of $1,200.  Just the cost of business...

That is starting to appear to be our only option, short of a 15 day cancellation (that will free up an ES). There is a company here called "GoMed". They come to your house and results of rapid PCR in 6 hours = 300 each. SMH. I can't let you flog the Silver Spirits package alone😁🍾🍷🍺🍻

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Haha, think of the camaraderie of those who actually make it onto the ship, will be like disaster survivors.  Assuming PTSD doesn’t have us cowering in a corner sucking our thumbs...

No kidding. Once the gauntlet has been mastered, there will be nothing left but to soothe the soul with some Golden Margaritas or some rose proseco.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Stempy, please let us know the moment you cancel.  We wouldn’t mind jumping on that OS if it becomes available.  It’s for my DW’s birthday, after all 🙂

Same goes to anyone canceling an ES1.

Viking does not have a “waitlist”, you have to call periodically if you want to snag a recently canceled cabin.  They often never make it back up on the website before being grabbed.

Interesting.  Might be a new thing.  We have been waitlisted on three Viking cruises with "our Guy" and have gotten all three...

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Interesting.  Might be a new thing.  We have been waitlisted on three Viking cruises with "our Guy" and have gotten all three...

Well, that’s what they told poor old Ragnar.  Several reps said the same thing.  Perhaps word of my hygiene habits (or lack thereof) has gotten around.

Or maybe you WC royalty get special treatment.  Discrimination I say!  Cancel the elite!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Well, that’s what they told poor old Ragnar.  Several reps said the same thing.  Perhaps word of my hygiene habits (or lack thereof) has gotten around.

Or maybe you WC royalty get special treatment.  Discrimination I say!  Cancel the elite!

I did warn them. Got me free drinks for life.🍸🍺🥃😎

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Something new on MVJ.  And it seems off by a day.  Assuming today is day 0, this countdown clock would put first check-in time at 8pm Bermuda time on 6/15.... 

image.thumb.png.2b8dc0bdc7cfc2d98325d981e4421bdb.png

Is this new also?  I don't remember seeing this before.  Hoping this means they are about to post what we need to know.  Notice the bullet points are currently blank.

vk1.PNG

Edited by bafinegan

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Something new on MVJ.  And it seems off by a day.  Assuming today is day 0, this countdown clock would put first check-in time at 8pm Bermuda time on 6/15.... 

image.thumb.png.2b8dc0bdc7cfc2d98325d981e4421bdb.png

They got it pretty close! 🙂

Dear Viking,

First of all, fire your website manager.  You are violating every convention normally followed when updating a website.

Second, tell your remaining web developers to not be clever when cleverness is not needed or wanted, e.g. just put a date and time when check-in will open, rather than a stupid, inaccurate countdown thingie.

Third, get your @#$& together!

Thank you for your kind consideration,

Ragnar the Benevolent

• Like 3

A warning to those that 💙 or 🏆 my inane comments on CC:  Cruise lines can track you down if you use the same email address to sign up for CC and communicate with the cruise line. I was once banned from cruising on a certain line for, shall we say, indelicate comments on CC.  Their loss 🙂

Beware guilt by association.

By the way, the CC moderators are true saints.  They have been very forgiving of my idiocy.  I usually know when I’ve crossed the line, due usually to three or so excess martinis,  and apologize humbly.  And I have asked to have posts of mine taken down when they go too far.

The golden rule on CC is to not disparage any of our CC “family”.  A good rule indeed.