Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

To avoid the appearance of benefitting from this confusion, Viking should let pax in the first few Bermuda cruises cancel for a refund if they are not comfortable with trying to thread the needle on all these rules.   Especially since the rules changed since most of us booked the cruise.

I disagree - the offer should apply to all of us guinea pigs!

11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

True, but hopefully the first few cruises would smooth the path for the remaining ones, with a firm, do-able proceedure worked out.

My first thought was to reply with an over-the-top snarky comment, but common sense kicked in before I hit Submit.

I booked the sixth/last Bermuda cruise because I expect (a) everything to work fine, or (b) that the wheels will come off on the first - possibly the second - cruise and I will have a force majeure case for a refund. We really do want to go, but I recognized we were all being sold a pig-in-a-poke and I didn't want to risk my $$$ being tied up when Viking pulls out.

Actually, I am an optimist, but I think scenario (b) is more likely)...

Edited by What was that?
complete the post
  • Like 1

We had three cruises cancelled last year, so we were very aware that it could happen again but hopeful that it wouldn’t.  I’m optimistic that there is still time for this to work out and Viking will do what they have to, hopefully in our favor. 

We’re on the fourth cruise and figure by then some bugs can be worked out.  I trust that Viking is working behind the scenes to get everything in order ... they have a great deal at stake should things “go South”.  Frankly, I feel as though we have a great deal at stake too as we have three more cruises booked and paid for after Bermuda!  

• Like 1

Viking called after I emailed tellus.   They will pass our concerns to the team in charge of the Bermuda project.  The rep was not aware of the change of the testing requirement from 5 days to 3 days, but said she is submitting her report with that news.

Hopefully, they can work out a viable procedure with the government of Bermuda.  Soon...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Viking called after I emailed tellus.   They will pass our concerns to the team in charge of the Bermuda project.  The rep was not aware of the change of the testing requirement from 5 days to 3 days, but said she is submitting her report with that news.

Hopefully, they can work out a viable procedure with the government of Bermuda.  Soon...

I’ll talk with them tomorrow and compare stories. 

• Thanks 1

Everyone take a deep breath.

1. This change just occurred today. 

2. The 72 hour requirement is consistent with other countries including the U.S. We've always been subject to the same requirement for our return to the U.S.

3. The issue for us is the timing; a Tuesday departure make the submission requirements challenging. 

4. In the same article we've been quoting it's pretty clear the Bermudan government sees great financial benefit in Viking's program and to allow it means they also have confidence in Viking's proposed protocols.

5.  Viking probably became aware of this at the same time the public did.  I doubt there's a hotline between the Bermudan version of the CDC and Viking headquarters.  Give them time to formulate an opinion and recommendation. 

6. The new requirement says "immunized individuals can enjoy the amenities of their accommodations while waiting for their airport-administered PCR test."  Who's to say we can't be transported in a bubble via Viking's transfers to the ship while awaiting our arrival results? 

7. Since both Viking and the Bermudan government want these cruises to happen and adding in the fact we're all vaccinated it's is highly likely that some type of accommodation can be reached based on our unique requirements.   

There's also been much mention of "3 people and it's an outbreak" from the previously posted article.  That was third party information and not directly from Viking.  What happens after "3 people" are infected and what defines an "outbreak" have not been shared by Viking.  I have to assume with all the procedures Viking's implemented 3 people being infected won't require all 900 passengers and crew to be quarantined in their cabins aboard ship for 14 days.

Color me optimistic but I think these cruises will happen.  I also think that Viking has a far greater chance of having an issue free foreign port cruise program than Celebrity and Royal who have far less stringent testing and safety programs in place. See those on the 7/13 cruise in a few week. 😉 

Edited by B_A_H
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I got the same when I spoke with a Viking rep.  She was not aware of the changes.  I was told it would be forwarded and emails sent once they figure stuff out

13 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Everyone take a deep breath.

1. This change just occurred today. 

2. The 72 hour requirement is consistent with other countries including the U.S. We've always been subject to the same requirement for our return to the U.S.

3. The issue for us is the timing; a Tuesday departure make the submission requirements challenging. 

4. In the same article we've been quoting it's pretty clear the Bermudan government sees great financial benefit in Viking's program and to allow it means they also have confidence in Viking's proposed protocols.

5.  Viking probably became aware of this at the same time the public did.  I doubt there's a hotline between the Bermudan version of the CDC and Viking headquarters.  Give them time to formulate an opinion and recommendation. 

6. The new requirement says "immunized individuals can enjoy the amenities of their accommodations while waiting for their airport-administered PCR test."  Who's to say we can't be transported in a bubble via Viking's transfers to the ship while awaiting our arrival results? 

7. Since both Viking and the Bermudan government want these cruises to happen and adding in the fact we're all vaccinated it's is highly likely that some type of accommodation can be reached based on our unique requirements.   

There's also been much mention of "3 people and it's an outbreak" from the previously posted article.  That was third party information and not directly from Viking.  What happens after "3 people" are infected and what defines an "outbreak" have not been shared by Viking.  I have to assume with all the procedures Viking's implemented 3 people being infected won't require all 900 passengers and crew to be quarantined in their cabins aboard ship for 14 days.

Color me optimistic but I think these cruises will happen.  I also think that Viking has a far greater chance of having an issue free foreign port cruise program than Celebrity and Royal who have far less stringent testing and safety programs in place. See those on the 7/13 cruise in a few week. 😉 

I really hope you are right.  Hubbs and I are also on this cruise ( just booked YESTERDAY for 7/13🙄  Go figure...) The challenge for us would be that any rapid pcr testing facilities are only open Mon thru Fri.  Having to have the test report available to file for the Bermuda travel authorization 24 hours pre arrival means the pcr test result would have to be done Sat with results back first thing Monday morning.  Difficult if the testing facilities are closed weekends.

Guess we will wait and see...

Edited by bafinegan
clarification

5 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Having to have the test report available to file for the Bermuda travel authorization 24 hours pre arrival

That is not what the wording in the rules says, exactly.  It says 24 hrs before the DAY of arrival.  Not before the TIME of arrival.  That is one of the things Viking needs to get clarified.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

That is not what the wording in the rules says, exactly.  It says 24 hrs before the DAY of arrival.  Not before the TIME of arrival.  That is one of the things Viking needs to get clarified.

yea, I saw that discussion.  Technically the DAY is from 0001 to 2359.  I'm just focusing on the changes in the PCR test requirement.

21 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

I can guarantee you there is never an "issue free" ship voyage.  Not cargo, not passenger.  My biggest worry with all this is no one, not Viking, no one is saying what happens when the inevitable "issue" happens.  There will be positive tests.  This month, this year, next year, and as long as the bureaucrats insist on the useless testing programs.  Bet on it..  So what happens then???

22 minutes ago, B_A_H said:
  •  
  • The 72 hour requirement is consistent with other countries including the U.S. We've always been subject to the same requirement for our return to the U.S.

Yes, and that would be ok if it weren’t for the requirement to submit the test results “24 hours before the DAY of arrival”.  This is especially burdensome to anyone coming from the west coast, as we have to do an overnight layover at a hub.

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Are you referring to the timing of the test, or to some new requirement as to the type of test?

The timing.  When I booked (yesterday) it was 5 days, now it's 3... been looking all day for any rapid testing sires that are open on week ends.  Zilch so far...

Yes, and that would be ok if it weren’t for the requirement to submit the test results “24 hours before the DAY of arrival”.  This is especially burdensome to anyone coming from the west coast, as we have to do an overnight layover at a hub.

As they mention that arrival day is Day 0. We depart late in the evening of Day 1. 
We're with Kaiser and can get a test in the morning of Day 3. Results should be available on Day 2. (Thus far, I've needed testing 3 times; in each case, results were available the next day) At the worst case scenario, it'll be the day of our departure, Day 1.

A bit tight, but workable in our case.

Edited by MarkBearSF

5 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

As they mention that arrival day is Day 0. We depart late in the evening of Day 1. 

Will you be guaranteed to receive the Bermuda Travel Authorization before you board your flight?  Go through the timeline carefully.  There is no margin for any delays.

I’m assuming you are taking a redeye to a hub?  That will help give a half day of margin.  My DW would not do well on a redeye, thus we have an overnight layover at MIA.  Leaving us with no margin.  And I’m assuming Bermuda will accept a rapid PCR test with same day results.  Luckily, we are leaving on a Friday and staying at a Bermuda beach resort for three nights pre-cruise, so getting a rapid test not an issue.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

I’m assuming you are taking a redeye to a hub?  That will help give a half day of margin.  My DW would not do well on a redeye, thus we have an overnight layover at MIA.  Leaving us with no margin. 

Yup. A red-eye from SFO to ATL. That's why we did our own air to get F for it. (It's really not a lot of time in the air, and I may not actually sleep, at least I'll have a few scotches, so I won't mind too much)