Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

12 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Just be aware of the Bermuda government’s requirements to test on day four and day eight.  If on-board by those day, I’ll bet Viking will do the tests.  Since they have to do the day four tests for people that arrive in Bermuda on embarkation day.

By the way, the day you arrive in Bermuda is considered day 0.  E.g., if you arrive in Bermuda on embarkation day, then Viking will have to test you on the fifth day of the cruise.  And somehow the results have to be transmitted to the government of Bermuda.

Simple question, will I be able to go ashore, alone on my own, in Bermuda to go to the beach for the day or rent a whaler and explore the various isolated beaches as I have done in the past?  Or go to dinner or lunch or have drinks in town, alone on my/our own?

2 minutes ago, Canes#1 said:

Disregard.  I just contacted Viking.  You cannot leave the ship unless you are on a Viking tour.  I asked 'So, I assume that means I can't even get off to walk around town?'

Answer - 'That is correct'

That sounds unusually clear and unambiguous. I don't have a problem with that, although we would prefer to get off on our own a bit. We will adjust to the times, smile, and order more prosecco.

• Like 5

I have a problem with the "bubbles".  To us that is not travel.  Our best travel memories are when we have struck out on our own.  I am glad there are plenty willing to spend the money and get to the ships for these opening cruises and hope all goes well so we might then get back to "normal"on cruises.  For now we will spend our time and money on road trips and maybe Mexican all inclusives in Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta.  Like they used to say; Different strokes for different folks.....🍸

• Like 2

It’s very true that the “bubble” concept isn’t ideal. Fortunately we have been to Bermuda 4 times so are willing to accept Viking’s terms & conditions. I desperately want to cruise no matter the restrictions & obviously not alone considering the demand for Viking’s Bermuda & Iceland cruises. We do have future cruises booked in 2022 & we might be more hesitant to keep our bookings if touring in a bubble still exists. Exploring on our own is part of the joy of traveling.

• Like 3

Several have asked this question - will we have to be in a Viking bubble ?

When we contacted our agent initially to book Bermuda, she was VERY clear to us that this would be the case, and said Viking required those who booked to READ the 19 page terms and conditions during COVID.  I did so, and it very clearly spells out exactly the policies - no doing anything yourself.  Always tethered to others under supervision.  (Reminded me of the small kids with colored cloth "roped" together as their leader helps them cross the street!)

I will give Viking credit - they want to make sure EVERYONE is clear on the rules so there are no missed expectations for those who book.

• Like 1

I'm sympathetic to the situation in which the Bermuda government finds itself. Tourism has vanished room taxes and port fees equal zero.

But, you don't want to introduce potential new Covid through tourist contact with the locals.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

When we contacted our agent initially to book Bermuda, she was VERY clear to us that this would be the case, and said Viking required those who booked to READ the 19 page terms and conditions during COVID.  I did so, and it very clearly spells out exactly the policies - no doing anything yourself.  Always tethered to others under supervision.  (Reminded me of the small kids with colored cloth "roped" together as their leader helps them cross the street!)

I will give Viking credit - they want to make sure EVERYONE is clear on the rules so there are no missed expectations for those who book.

This is exactly what information we read and were told prior to signing up to be Vikings guinea pigs.  I'm sorry that it seems some people did not know what they were signing up for...but y'all, we're an experiment and our TA told us the information they were given is that Viking needs to prove to the CDC that they can cruise with 0% risk.  That's a mighty big challenge but I'm happy to help them prove that they can safely cruise again....even though it looks a little (or a lot)  different.  All I request is that all those young kids treating me like a queen, keep calling me Madame and bringing me another latte.  

• Like 3

I think you are right on.  The sad thing is there will never be 0% risk.  Not now, not ever.  The history of every virus recorded is much the same.  We all need to get on with life and treat the sick as they happen, as we do with every other disease.  Cruise ships have been, imho, unfairly targeted.  Hotels and airlines are not required to hold to the same reporting standards as cruise ships.  Additionally, most cases don't show up till after the few hours flight or a couple of days in a hotel.  I don't for a minute buy that there is no spreading on airplanes.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

This is exactly what information we read and were told prior to signing up to be Vikings guinea pigs.  I'm sorry that it seems some people did not know what they were signing up for...but y'all, we're an experiment and our TA told us the information they were given is that Viking needs to prove to the CDC that they can cruise with 0% risk.  That's a mighty big challenge but I'm happy to help them prove that they can safely cruise again....even though it looks a little (or a lot)  different.  All I request is that all those young kids treating me like a queen, keep calling me Madame and bringing me another latte.  

I called our TA and told her to "Book it!" and did not receive any cautions other than "You are vaccinated, aren't you?" However, It seemed to me as if something like this would be in force. Now having read it thru - thanks for the nudge, CCWineLover - I found no surprises. The legal language that it is presented in covers a lot of alternatives and is rather heavy reading, but me and my hiliter got thru it. I never expected that the risk would be nil, but between Viking and their rules, and our own cautious practices we will be (almost) as safe as staying home. I think we will have a good time - we'll get along to go along.

I'll be in the next lounge chair while those young kids call me Sir and keep my prosecco glass full.

• Like 3

I love the sea days so  would probably treat much of it like sea days.  I am not booked on these so have not fully read the 19 pages but I did not see anything that addresses what will happen if a case or two show up positive.  End of cruise?  Total isolation?  Even though vaccinated?  Is there any such information in there as to what happens "if"?

37 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Actually, there is a policy, three cases means whole ship considered to have it.

Is that in the PASSENGER TICKET CONTRACT or the COVID-19 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES document? Or possibly in CDC guidance or Bermuda rules?

9 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Where are these terms and conditions.  I was looking at this itinerary and am not seeing this.  Unless it s that Viking Health and Safety program?

13 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Link in this post:

Ragnar - Thanks!

The statement in the article (at Royal Gazette 8 April 2021) by Bermuda Transport Minister Lawrence Scott is

“The protocol is out of say 500 passengers, if three test positive, they treat that as an outbreak," he said. “They would treat it as though everybody was positive."

This statement was referring to Viking (apparently). It looks like Viking is VERY confident in their measures as they have set themselves a very high bar.

The article says that the Viking ships will have a full crew, but a passenger capacity of around 450, so about 900 people aboard. It also says that the passenger capacity is expected to "increase a little each week."

Edited by What was that?
Corrected layout.

10 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Where are these terms and conditions.  I was looking at this itinerary and am not seeing this.  Unless it s that Viking Health and Safety program?

I found a link to the "PASSENGER TICKET CONTRACT" in My Viking Journey under the Booking Summary topic as a download. There is a link to "COVID-19 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES" located in that document under section 11.c.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

MIA has been, for us, a no go airport for a long time.  

I was wondering why American had “Web Special” miles discounts on that route...  Wasn’t planning on wearing my motocross armor and full-face helmet through MIA.  Guess I better plan on checking an extra bag...  The wolverine looks quite stylish in her pink armor.

• Like 1