Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

All, I have been operating on an assumption that I will charitably ascribe to "stale information". That is, I understood that the required test is limited to a mail-in Azova test. Current information online from the Bermudian Government specifically states that a rapid PCR test from such vendors as CVS or Walgreens is acceptable. This information is at https://www.gov.bm/travel-testing-frequently-asked-questions Note that the attached clip says "seven days before you travel" but it will be less when we travel for this cruise.

That lowers my nervousness level a bit. Timing is still tricky, but one would hope it will become clearer as more detailed information is made available.

BULLETIN - This just in: Got my call from Megan at Viking Tellus, who assures me that they are working on it. I suggested (a) adding a note on the website that says "We know. We are working on it." and (b) creating a detailed timeline using hours (since Bermuda's use of hours and days is so ambiguous), with the reference point being our arrival time so we could lay that plan on our own calendar for planning - especially useful for us in the western US.

Stay tuned...

image.png

Edited by What was that?
Clarification

10 minutes ago, What was that? said:

All, I have been operating on an assumption that I will charitably ascribe to "stale information". That is, I understood that the required test is limited to a mail-in Azova test. Current information online from the Bermudian Government specifically states that a rapid PCR test from such vendors as CVS or Walgreens is acceptable. This information is at https://www.gov.bm/travel-testing-frequently-asked-questions

That lowers my nervousness level a bit. Timing is still tricky, but one would hope it will become clearer as more detailed information is made available.

BULLETIN - This just in: Got my call from Megan at Viking Tellus, who assures me that they are working on it. I suggested (a) adding a note on the website that says "We know. We are working on it." and (b) creating a detailed timeline using hours (since Bermuda's use of hours and days is so ambiguous), with the reference point being our arrival time so we could lay that plan on our own calendar for planning - especially useful for us in the western US.

Stay tuned...

image.png

Interesting.  Because on other pages from the Bermuda government, it states 3 days prior to arrival.  7 days is def doable.  Heck, later on that same page, it states 5 days which is tight, but still doable.  3 days, over a week end- not so much

Edited by bafinegan
clarification

2 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Interesting.  Because on other pages from the Bermuda government, it states 3 days prior to arrival.  & days is def doable.  3 days, over a week end- not so much

Agree. But waiting to see what shakes out as we get closer. Thank you for the update What was that?.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Interesting.  Because on other pages from the Bermuda government, it states 3 days prior to arrival.  7 days is def doable.  3 days, over a week end- not so much

Right. For travel beginning on 6 June the current requirement is within three days. And that is why I suggested that Viking produce an hour-by-hour timeline based on arrival time.

We in Reno are fortunate as we can get tested on every day of the week at CVS and Walgreens.

Edited by What was that?
Added Comment
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, What was that? said:

All, I have been operating on an assumption that I will charitably ascribe to "stale information". That is, I understood that the required test is limited to a mail-in Azova test. Current information online from the Bermudian Government specifically states that a rapid PCR test from such vendors as CVS or Walgreens is acceptable. 

That Azova test is the Costco one, right?  This is in the fine print from the Costco site, so I would steer clear of that one.  Good thing we have other choices.  It says it's not applicable for travel Thursday through Monday, which is us:  

• Note: This test is approved as part of the Hawaii trusted testing partner program and for travel to Bermuda
  • Note: Once purchased, test kit are not eligible for return
  • Note: Only applicable for travel Thursday through Monday*. Due to inclement weather, UPS deliveries may be delayed as test kits are shipped to a lab on the East Coast

Out of curiosity, I peeked in at the roll calls for the folks on the Royal Caribbean Bermuda cruises to see what they're being told about all this (if anything) and honestly the pre-testing just doesn't seem to be on their radar at all.  They sail on Saturdays though, so even if the 72 hour/3-day requirement sticks, it won't be hard for them.  

Their concerns mostly seem to be around how to get to their ship at the Royal Naval Dockyards, which are an hour from the airport, for a 6:00 p.m. sail away after arriving at BDA in the afternoon 😳, so a much different trip than we have.

• Like 2

I just had a look at the CVS covid tesing webpage.  Their “rapid” test is an antigen test, not PCR.  The PCR test can take up to 48 hours (or longer if lab is busy...):

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing?icid=coronavirus-lp-nav-general-testing

I found several commercial clinics in our area that offer same-day results, and appointments can be booked up to two months in advance.  $225 per test, plus they charge an office visit to your insurance (and don’t specify how much that costs...).  Seems a bit scammy, so I will keep researching.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I just had a look at the CVS covid tesing webpage.  Their “rapid” test is an antigen test, not PCR.  The PCR test can take up to 48 hours (or longer if lab is busy...):

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing?icid=coronavirus-lp-nav-general-testing

I found several commercial clinics in our area that offer same-day results, and appointments can be booked up to two months in advance.  $225 per test, plus they charge an office visit to your insurance (and don’t specify how much that costs...).  Seems a bit scammy, so I will keep researching.

Ragnar, look at this Walgreens page, and scroll down to the "Available Tests" section. You will see that the "ID NOW" test, by Abbott, is offered (at least in my area). On this page it states (scroll down to the Walgreens entry) that it is an NAAT test, and is acceptable by Hawaii.

These are the sources that I am basing my opinions on. I understand that Walgreens has the ID NOW device in each store so results should be available quickly - as Walgreens say on their page "Results in less than 24 hours." I hope my interpretations are correct.

BTW, on the Hawaii page I gave a link to it says that Walgreens may charge $129 for the test, but  have gone thru the registration process and there was no mention of a charge. I did enter my "serious medical condition" in the questionnaire part of the process so that may be a factor - but don't we all in this age group have something "serious"? You might want to run thru it and see how it goes in your area.

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Ragnar, look at this Walgreens page, and scroll down to the "Available Tests" section. You will see that the "ID NOW" test, by Abbott, is offered (at least in my area). On this page it states (scroll down to the Walgreens entry) that it is an NAAT test, and is acceptable by Hawaii.

These are the sources that I am basing my opinions on. I understand that Walgreens has the ID NOW device in each store so results should be available quickly - as Walgreens say on their page "Results in less than 24 hours." I hope my interpretations are correct.

BTW, on the Hawaii page I gave a link to it says that Walgreens may charge $129 for the test, but  have gone thru the registration process and there was no mention of a charge. I did enter my "serious medical condition" in the questionnaire part of the process so that may be a factor - but don't we all in this age group have something "serious"? You might want to run thru it and see how it goes in your area.

Thanks, but Walgreens doesn’t offer the ID Now test in our area.  Not seeing any in southern California, just in Nevada and Arizona.

I found a site I like, run by a large med testing company, near our airport, that offers same-day ID Now tests using saliva samples, rather than the nose ream.  Ain’t cheap though....

On 4/27/2021 at 4:44 PM, What was that? said:

My first thought was to reply with an over-the-top snarky comment, but common sense kicked in before I hit Submit.

I booked the sixth/last Bermuda cruise because I expect (a) everything to work fine, or (b) that the wheels will come off on the first - possibly the second - cruise and I will have a force majeure case for a refund. We really do want to go, but I recognized we were all being sold a pig-in-a-poke and I didn't want to risk my $$$ being tied up when Viking pulls out.

Actually, I am an optimist, but I think scenario (b) is more likely)...

Are you on the July 20th cruise?  Arlene

23 hours ago, bafinegan said:

I really hope you are right.  Hubbs and I are also on this cruise ( just booked YESTERDAY for 7/13🙄  Go figure...) The challenge for us would be that any rapid pcr testing facilities are only open Mon thru Fri.  Having to have the test report available to file for the Bermuda travel authorization 24 hours pre arrival means the pcr test result would have to be done Sat with results back first thing Monday morning.  Difficult if the testing facilities are closed weekends.

Guess we will wait and see...

Seems most labs in our area are closed on Sat and Sun.  

23 hours ago, bafinegan said:

The timing.  When I booked (yesterday) it was 5 days, now it's 3... been looking all day for any rapid testing sires that are open on week ends.  Zilch so far...

Where is Georgia do you all live?  We are in Dothan, AL.

12 hours ago, What was that? said:

Thank you for this info!  I checked and the rapid test is offered at our Walgreens.  Will stop by soon to double check turn around times and availability on week ends.

The rapid test is not the test required. It is the PCR test which is sent out to a lab for results.  The Walgreens site said that the test results, though usually available in 1-2 days, are not guarunteed to be available in that timeframe. I'm still looking for private labs or urgent care with onsite labs.

1 hour ago, bobitegirl said:

The rapid test is not the test required. It is the PCR test which is sent out to a lab for results.  The Walgreens site said that the test results, though usually available in 1-2 days, are not guarunteed to be available in that timeframe. I'm still looking for private labs or urgent care with onsite labs.

A test done using the Abbott ID Now rapid test machine is a PCR test.  However, is Walgreens considered an “accredited laboratory” when such a test is run in-store?

• Test type must be a PCR test. Note: The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test. It must be a PCR test.
  • Test must be performed by an accredited laboratory

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-pre-vetted-travel-authorisation

26 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

A test done using the Abbott ID Now rapid test machine is a PCR test.  However, is Walgreens considered an “accredited laboratory” when such a test is run in-store?

That's a good point, RD. I sent an email to the Bermuda Government's "Coronavirus Hotline" today asking: "Is the Abbott ID NOW Covid-19 test, such as performed at a Walgreens pharmacy in the US, accepted by the Government of Bermuda for entry into Bermuda?"

It is a simple Yes/No question. Let's find out what they have to say.

27 minutes ago, What was that? said:

That's a good point, RD. I sent an email to the Bermuda Government's "Coronavirus Hotline" today asking: "Is the Abbott ID NOW Covid-19 test, such as performed at a Walgreens pharmacy in the US, accepted by the Government of Bermuda for entry into Bermuda?"

It is a simple Yes/No question. Let's find out what they have to say.

I sent them an email yesterday confirming the number of days before arrival for testing but so far no response.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

• Test type must be a PCR test. Note: The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test. It must be a PCR test.
  • Test must be performed by an accredited laboratory

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-pre-vetted-travel-authorisation

Here in COlumbus Ga the test is sent our to Abbott  which is an accredited lab.  Betting other Walgreens have similar labs doing their rapid tests.  I went to my local Walgreens TODAY to verify.  Was told by the pharmacist that turnaround is indeed 24 hours for the rapid pcr test.  I even went so far as to ask "so if I test on a Sat?  Was told the test result would be back by Sun"  Feeling much better, although I do beleive it will get moved back to 5 days.

I know there has been a lot on this subject already but FYI - I contacted Bermuda Coronavirus Dept and asked them if we had to have the test 7 days, 5 days, or 3 days before arrival and they just responded to me:

Good day,

Starting from June 6th we require that you take a test no more than 3 days from your arrival. 

COVID-19 Response Team

Government of Bermuda | Department of Health

Continental Building | 25 Church Street | Hamilton, Bermuda HM 12

P.O. Box HM 1195 l Hamilton, Bermuda HM EX 

Direct Telephone: 441 444 2498 | Email: coronavirus@gov.bm 

I also was contacted by tellus@viking.com after I sent them an email and they told me that they are working with Bermuda authorities and understand the issue.  They expect to have answers by the middle of May.  I am going to stay optimistic that this will change...

• Like 1

Here is the reply I got from Bermuda when I asked yesterday if they would accept the Abbott ID NOW test:

"If your the test is a PCR and states as such on your test result it is accepted."

My inquiry did not ask if they would accept it from Walgreens - I just sent that this morning.

Maybe if someone has spoken with Walgreens about the contents of the test report (or gotten one) they would be able to help.

Edited by What was that?
Added comment
  • Like 1

I'm so confused! Here is the response I just got from Bermuda - I include the complete response for your amusement:

Good day,

We only accept the PCR Abbott ID NOW test.

Please confirm with your local Walgreens that it is a PCR test. 

(COVID-19 Response Team//Government of Bermuda | Department of Health//Continental Building | 25 Church Street | Hamilton, Bermuda HM 12//P.O. Box HM 1195 l Hamilton, Bermuda HM EX//Direct Telephone: 441 444 2498 | Email: coronavirus@gov.bm)

My question was: "Is the Abbott ID NOW Covid-19 test, such as performed at a Walgreens pharmacy in the US, accepted by the Government of Bermuda for entry into Bermuda?"

I'll get back to this when I get back from Hawaii (Hawaii accepts the Walgreens ID NOW test results).