Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

Lax, non-stop to MIA in business class, on a 777. Overnighting at an airport area hotel, then on to BDA in first on a 737-Max :-0  There should be no issues with keeping the nose down, as I will be in the front row...

Co-pilot to captain: “Sir, trim is at max UP, but I’m still having to pull back quite a bit.”

Captain:  “I’ll see if I can get that big oaf in first to move to a row by the wings.  Maybe we can entice him with a half-dozen extra meals.”

By the way, there are a very limited number of flights from the US to Bermuda.  And only a few airlines.

I think I read somewhere where Bermuda is asking the airlines to lay on extra flights to handle the cruise-ships that will be home-porting there fir the summer.  And first class seats are scarcer than hens’ teeth.

On our flight out of Bermuda we could not get first seats so we bought an extra seat in coach, so that ol’ Ragnar can ooze into it....   We often do that if first is not available, like on Southwest, etc.  Have gotten many a comment like “How did you luck into the only empty seat on this full flight.”  Ain’t luck.

Stop the presses!  Bermuda just changed the pre-arrival test rules, not for the better.  You now have to get tested no more than 3 days before arrival, it was 5 days.  And you have to apply AND be approved for a Travel Authorization 1-3 days before arriving,  But confusing wording of “24 hours before arrival date” may mean you have to apply 3 or 2 days before arrival.

If it takes 24 hours to get test results, this leaves zero margin for delay.  The Travel Authorization takes 24 hours to get.  So those leaving from the west coast that have to overnight at a hub before the flight to Bermuda MUST fly before receiving the authorization.  If something goes wrong there is no time to fix it, and a transcon flight will be wasted.  And who knows what Viking or trip insurance will do in this case.

This has suddenly gone untenable for western US travelers.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update#open-hotels

13 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Stop the presses!  Bermuda just changed the pre-arrival test rules, not for the better.  You now have to get tested no more than 3 days before arrival, it was 5 days.  And you have to apply AND be approved for a Travel Authorization 1-3 days before arriving,  But confusing wording of “24 hours before arrival date” may mean you have to apply 3 or 2 days before arrival.

If it takes 24 hours to get test results, this leaves zero margin for delay.  The Travel Authorization takes 24 hours to get.  So those leaving from the west coast that have to overnight at a hub before the flight to Bermuda MUST fly before receiving the authorization.  If something goes wrong there is no time to fix it, and a transcon flight will be wasted.  And who knows what Viking or trip insurance will do in this case.

This has suddenly gone untenable for western US travelers.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update#open-hotels

What does “obtained” mean?  is that when you are tested or get the test results? Not freaking out quite yet!

“If arriving on or after May 9, 2021: Present a copy of the pre-departure COVID-19 negative test result obtained no more than three days before arriving in Bermuda.”

Right?  They're saying take a test and obtain the results, but we all know that's not likely to happen at the same time.  So which is it?  Take it three days before or get the results three days before?  I think it's take the test:

Effective May 9, 2021: All travellers aged 10 and up must take a PCR COVID-19 test and obtain a negative result no more than three days before arrival in Bermuda. The day of testing is day 0. Test results must be entered as part of the online travel authorization process and be presented upon arrival in Bermuda. Visitors without a pre-departure test will not be able to obtain Travel Authorisation and enter Bermuda. 

So, when it was 5 days before arrival, we worked out the the testing day, Day 0, was the Thursday before for those of us arriving on Tuesday, and now it appears that Saturday will be Day 0?  We will have to have our negative result back from wherever we're getting our PCR test by Monday in order to upload it a day before we arrive.  Based on everything I'm reading, if you can find a place that will process your results onsite, you may be able to get results back in a couple of hours, but if the tests go off-site (most PCR tests I think) to a lab, it can takes days, and a Saturday-Monday test-result probably isn't going to appear with that pesky Sunday in-between. 

So Ragnar said that it's untenable for West Coasters, but I think it's kind of untenable for all of us.  That's probably why this is the fine print for the Costco tests:

Please read all the information on this page before you purchase this test:

• This test is applicable for travel Thursday through Monday* for destinations requiring a COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before departure.
  • This RT-PCR test is approved for travel to Hawaii and Bermuda.

I think our best hope will be that they've got their vaccinations going to the point that they'll have what they consider to be herd immunity by June/July like they said they're aiming for.  If they can get there, maybe they'll loosen up their requirements for vaccinated folks to either an onsite test on arrival or a pre-done antigen test.  Otherwise, I don't see how it works.

• Like 1

Wow! I just did a quick search and found ONE location near me that will do a PCR text with next day results for $300 (ouch).  CVS and Walgreens will not guarantee result times.  This may turn out to be a big problem. If anyone finds out anything else, please keep us posted.

I read the Royal Gazette , Bermuda’s newspaper, online daily. I think these requirements will change again before we all sail beginning in mid June. They had 44 new cases , 4 of which were folks flying into Bermuda and tested positive at the airport. 
Hoping their three phases work and with vaccinations are at herd immunity in June 

31 minutes ago, bobitegirl said:

Wow! I just did a quick search and found ONE location near me that will do a PCR text with next day results for $300 (ouch).  CVS and Walgreens will not guarantee result times.  This may turn out to be a big problem. If anyone finds out anything else, please keep us posted.

I just found one near me too (a Doc-in-a-box) that does 'rapid PCR testing' and is open on Saturdays, so I feel pretty good about that.  I guess the rapid test explains why there's always what looks like an hours-long line snaking around the plaza it's in while the free drive-through regular Covid testing site across the street rarely has any cars anymore.  I suspect it's mostly travelers or others who need a test NOW.  Crisis averted 🤣😩

If people continue to put up with such bureaucratic double speak it will continue.  Only when countries realize it is in their best interest to let fully vaccinated people enter somewhat normally and spend money traveling their countries will this useless bungling stop.  All the testing in the world only tells what you were like at one point in the past, not how you are at the present moment and it certainly won't predict future (even 72 hours) performance.  The vax,  herd immunity, and your own immune system is as good as it is likely to get.  Time to get on with life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

I read the Royal Gazette , Bermuda’s newspaper, online daily. I think these requirements will change again before we all sail beginning in mid June. They had 44 new cases , 4 of which were folks flying into Bermuda and tested positive at the airport. 
Hoping their three phases work and with vaccinations are at herd immunity in June 

I suspect Bermuda regulations will change, too.

If the voters are apprehensive about off-islanders bringing diseases, every outbreak  will generate waves

3 hours ago, amyr said:

We will have to have our negative result back from wherever we're getting our PCR test by Monday in order to upload it a day before we arrive.

The instructions state you must upload the test results 24 hours before the DAY you arrive, not 24 hours before the TIME you arrive.  If this is not a typo then you have to upload the second day before you arrive, not the day before you arrive.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The instructions state you must upload the test results 24 hours before the DAY you arrive, not 24 hours before the TIME you arrive.  If this is not a typo then you have to upload the second day before you arrive, not the day before you arrive.

Unless things change, which I have to believe (or hope) that they will, I think there are a number of people that are going to be cancelling 14+ days before the trip and getting vouchers under the risk free guarantee. 😞 

Not happy about it, but I don't see how it can work for us. I have checked around for rapid PCR tests and the best I have found is the Costco/Azova test that is approved by Bermuda.  But if we are arriving in Bermuda on Tuesday we have to have the test on Saturday (correct)) - then we UPS overnight to Azova which they get on Sunday and hope that they can turn around the results (do I have to have them on the same Sunday? - is Monday too late?)

12 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I was struggling with that.  I read the part about the day before you arrive not the time, so if we arrive on Tuesday is that 00:01 Monday?  Which is really Sunday night before the window for applications closes at 8 or 9 (can't remember)???  I think that's how it is. It's so fuzzy that I attempted a trial run earlier this morning, and it was going to allow me to apply for entry tomorrow (Wednesday) Thursday, or Friday.  It didn't go out farther than that.  

So my best guess is that we:

1) Find a PCR testing place that will do us Saturday with results on Saturday or Sunday and then apply on Sunday (for those of us arriving on Tuesday), or

2) Wait it out and hope they relax all of this by the 14 day mark or pull the ejection handle if it's still such a struggle.

Edited by amyr

Viking needs to take the initiative on this and send thise who have booked clear and unambiguous instructions for how to meet the entry requirements. Including:

- Exact type of test required (“PCR” can mean any number of different tests).

- Exact latest date and time the results can be uploaded to Bermuda, to get the Travel Authorization.

- Exact definition of when the test must be taken.

- Sample timelines of how to get everything done.

- What happens if test results or the Travel Authorization are delayed by overwhelmed systems.

- Exactly what test to expect at the Bermuda airport, and how long the wait time to get through customs and the testing line will be.

If we don’t get all this in the next few days we will cancel.  Anyone know the best way to get this request to Viking?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Viking needs to take the initiative on this and send thise who have booked clear and unambiguous instructions for how to meet the entry requirements. Including:

- Exact type of test required (“PCR” can mean any number of different tests).

- Exact latest date and time the results can be uploaded to Bermuda, to get the Travel Authorization.

- Exact definition of when the test must be taken.

- Sample timelines of how to get everything done.

- What happens if test results or the Travel Authorization are delayed by overwhelmed systems.

- Exactly what test to expect at the Bermuda airport, and how long the wait time to get through customs and the testing line will be.

If we don’t get all this in the next few days we will cancel.  Anyone know the best way to get this request to Viking?

I totally agree with you.  (and Jim Avery).  This is nonsense and no use us debating on wording in a Cruise Critic Forum.   Viking reads these forums as well.  Viking needs at some point very soon to take some sort of action on this - just as you said.

If nothing changes before our 14 days Risk Free is up, we will cancel.

But I hope that the Bermuda Government gets its collective brains back and acts rationally instead of this fear and panic reactions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, amyr said:

I just found one near me too (a Doc-in-a-box) that does 'rapid PCR testing' and is open on Saturdays, so I feel pretty good about that.  I guess the rapid test explains why there's always what looks like an hours-long line snaking around the plaza it's in while the free drive-through regular Covid testing site across the street rarely has any cars anymore.  I suspect it's mostly travelers or others who need a test NOW.  Crisis averted 🤣😩

Being in the suburbs of a large metropolitan area there are several places with rapid PCR testing with results available in as little as 2 to 24 hours.  They cater specifically to travelers and those needing tests in a hurry for other reasons.  The results are send as a PDF to email so they can be easily uploaded.  We’re watching and anticipating that there will be some changes as time goes on and who knows what arrangements Viking might ultimately be able to make with Bermuda ... it is certainly a win for them if we come!  Fingers crossed! 

Edited by molymoo

3 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Being in the suburbs of a large metropolitan area there are several places with rapid PCR testing with results available in as little as 2 to 24 hours.  The results are send as a PDF to email so they can be easily uploaded.  We’re watching and anticipating theater will be some changes as time goes on and who knows what arrangements Viking might ultimately be able to make with Bermuda ... it is certainly a win for them if we come!

The friend we're traveling with has same day PCR testing right at her PCP's office.  How convenient is that?  

If the first cruise is June 15, I suspect a lot more information will be forthcoming in time for them to pull their 14 day ripcord, and that's fast approaching.  I'm sure Viking is working behind the scenes like crazy for clarification.

The obvious best case for us would be if they waive the pre-arrival testing for vaccinated people, have us test at the airport on arrival, and wait out our results on board in our little Viking bubble since the ship doesn't depart until the next day.  I'm sure a lot of that depends on who in the Bermudan government is really making the decisions, and how they feel about the cruises coming back.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, amyr said:

The obvious best case for us would be if they waive the pre-arrival testing for vaccinated people, have us test at the airport on arrival, and wait out our results on board in our little Viking bubble since the ship doesn't depart until the next day.  I'm sure a lot of that depends on who in the Bermudan government is really making the decisions, and how they feel about the cruises coming back.  

Well said!

• Like 1