Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

1 hour ago, NeilP57 said:

Hi to our US cousins,

This cruise has now been released to the UK market in the last 24 hrs. Departure dates from Reyjkavik are July 24, 27, 31 and August 3, 7, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, 31 and September 7 of this year (2021)

Do we know if Viking have decided to mix nationalities (or more accurately countries of departure) on board?

We have booked onto the July 31 departure and was wondering if these are UK only cruises or is there going be the opportunity to enjoy the company of our transatlantic travelling companions.

We look forward to learning a lot from the US only departures in June and early July.

Neil

@NeilP57

These additional "Welcome Back" cruises were loaded on the Viking .co.uk sites late yesterday so we just booked the above 27th July Jupiter Iceland Cruise as UK residents with included flights from London Heathrow. 

Shipster: We're also on the July 13 sailing and are not yet seeing shore excursions. I've been having problems with MVJ and am kind of glad to know I'm not the only one still waiting! 

(If anybody else is having trouble getting into MVJ, what worked for me was switching browsers from Safari to Chrome.)

QUESTION for those who have booked alternative restaurants already.  I know that you have to cancel Restaurant reservations before booking alternatives, but I can't see what times are available to book on specific evenings. It just shows the Day 5 location and 5:30 for each restaurant.  Do you cancel without knowing what times are actually available?

1 minute ago, Travel2Learn said:

On phone calls to Viking yesterday I was told excursions are being loaded into the system.  That's why we can't see them.

The Viking Reps are currently clueless as to what is really happening.  They have been given canned responses to make you feel better and get you off the phone.  This morning I talked to two reps(I was cutoff from the first one while on hold).  The second one put me on hold for several minutes while he tried to find out any specific information.  He came back with the same general information and suggested I check back on MVJ weekly!  BTW, he completely unaware the that the first three cruises had been making bookings.  Now the addition of all the new cruises has just compounded the problem.  Additionally Iceland land travel companies are offing multi-day tours which makes it more and more difficult to find guides, buses, etc.  Bottom line: Viking went into this only half prepared - no problem taking our money, but other details not so much.

18 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

QUESTION for those who have booked alternative restaurants already.  I know that you have to cancel Restaurant reservations before booking alternatives, but I can't see what times are available to book on specific evenings. It just shows the Day 5 location and 5:30 for each restaurant.  Do you cancel without knowing what times are actually available?

Sadly, I guess I can answer my own question.  I canceled one of my Restaurant reservations that was not the best time anyway to try out the ability to book the Chef's Table.  Yes, indeed, after I canceled, I could see the available times.  I understand that they don't want us to book 2 places on the same night, but they could at least let you see the available times in advance, and then just not enable you to book until you saw if there was any time that you preferred.  

I did book 2 Chef's Tables (separated by 3 days) and 1 Manfredi with reasonable times, but am certainly frustrated with this process.

35 minutes ago, Mehroswitha said:

Shipster: We're also on the July 13 sailing and are not yet seeing shore excursions. I've been having problems with MVJ and am kind of glad to know I'm not the only one still waiting! 

(If anybody else is having trouble getting into MVJ, what worked for me was switching browsers from Safari to Chrome.)

Well I haven't had problems logging in to MVJ, it just tells me there are no shore excursions available. It's reassuring, at least, that you don't see any either. I was quite concerned when all the previous sailings were reporting they had booked excursions yesterday.

1 hour ago, ShropshireCritic said:

@NeilP57

These additional "Welcome Back" cruises were loaded on the Viking .co.uk sites late yesterday so we just booked the above 27th July Jupiter Iceland Cruise as UK residents with included flights from London Heathrow. 

We are a few days behind you departing on the Viking Sky on 31st July. The Viking rep was very helpful in reserving our preferred stateroom and then transferring the call to my travel agent to then complete the booking.

I was just wondering if this is a UK only sailing or there is going to a mix (or just one) of other nationalities. Happy either way but I do enjoy conversing with other nationalities whilst travelling.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

Sadly, I guess I can answer my own question.  I canceled one of my Restaurant reservations that was not the best time anyway to try out the ability to book the Chef's Table.  Yes, indeed, after I canceled, I could see the available times.  I understand that they don't want us to book 2 places on the same night, but they could at least let you see the available times in advance, and then just not enable you to book until you saw if there was any time that you preferred.  

I did book 2 Chef's Tables (separated by 3 days) and 1 Manfredi with reasonable times, but am certainly frustrated with this process.

Australia I believe we are both on the same July 17th sailing.  Although my Guest Statement says i can book Specialty Restaurants today (ha ha), they are not available on MVJ.  Oops, you booked 2 Chefs Table - ok open to your cabin level but not ours yet.  But yes i was wondering the same time available thing.  Were very early times not open?

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Australia I believe we are both on the same July 17th sailing.  Although my Guest Statement says i can book Specialty Restaurants today (ha ha), they are not available on MVJ.  Oops, you booked 2 Chefs Table - ok open to your cabin level but not ours yet.  But yes i was wondering the same time available thing.  Were very early times not open?

Yes we’re on July 17-24. We’re in a PV. MVJ indicated I had 2 reservations available for each option. However, it only allowed me to see Day 5 at 5:30 for both venues. I called and was told I had to cancel my Restaurant dining before I could see the open times. We liked our times at the Restaurant so I hesitated to cancel sight unseen, however, I tried canceling one day and then went back to the Chef’s Table. Voila  -  the remaining times for that date were revealed. The times weren’t bad for us. We chose one at 7:30 and 2 at 8:00. That would usually be times we like to eat. We figured one Manfredi’s night was enough on a 1 week cruise.

There were quite a few early times open an hour ago. If today is your day to book, you will have to do the cancellation process. 

55 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

We are a few days behind you departing on the Viking Sky on 31st July. The Viking rep was very helpful in reserving our preferred stateroom and then transferring the call to my travel agent to then complete the booking.

I was just wondering if this is a UK only sailing or there is going to a mix (or just one) of other nationalities. Happy either way but I do enjoy conversing with other nationalities whilst travelling.

The latest batch of cruises just announced in recent days are only for U.K. & US passengers but all must have been fully vaccinated in advance, etc, etc to comply with Vikings strict requirements.

50 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

Yes we’re on July 17-24. We’re in a PV. MVJ indicated I had 2 reservations available for each option. However, it only allowed me to see Day 5 at 5:30 for both venues. I called and was told I had to cancel my Restaurant dining before I could see the open times. We liked our times at the Restaurant so I hesitated to cancel sight unseen, however, I tried canceling one day and then went back to the Chef’s Table. Voila  -  the remaining times for that date were revealed. The times weren’t bad for us. We chose one at 7:30 and 2 at 8:00. That would usually be times we like to eat. We figured one Manfredi’s night was enough on a 1 week cruise.

There were quite a few early times open an hour ago. If today is your day to book, you will have to do the cancellation process. 

Thank you.  Yes I knew from others to cancel a Restaurant to book others.  Early is good for us as my DH needs to dine early due to a stomach issue.  Do you know which Chefs Tables menus you booked on what days? I keep looking to see if it opens for us.  Maybe 3 pm Eastern time.

Please forgive me for asking so many questions. I am on the July 13 sailing and shorexs   haven’t opened for us yet. I was wondering if someone that has visited Iceland before could give some advice. Which excursion in what port do you think would give me the best chance of seeing Puffins? Many of them mention “birds”. Also, we aren’t going to be able to extend our stay on either end. Because of this, the Blue Lagoon might not happen. Has anyone visited one of the 2 other thermal water venues listed in the shore excursions? Lastly, if we book an optional excursion do we have a chance to cancel it later? Many cruises under my belt but only one RC with Viking. 

42 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you.  Yes I knew from others to cancel a Restaurant to book others.  Early is good for us as my DH needs to dine early due to a stomach issue.  Do you know which Chefs Tables menus you booked on what days? I keep looking to see if it opens for us.  Maybe 3 pm Eastern time.

No. When I booked, they still posted menu as TBD. I just made sure they were 3 days apart. It will be a mystery. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shipster60 said:

I am on the July 13 sailing. I see no shorex posted on my MVJ? Are they showing up for everyone else? 

I'm also on the July 13th, Jupiter cruise.  No shore excursions are up yet.  I've been checking multiple times a day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Do not get me started on the Viking and the lack of communication over the last month. It is inexcusable and it has been Viking's weak point from the get-go.

There should have been regular communication from corporate to all guests explaining why shorex were late and what would happen when they were posted.

I could go on and on -- but I won't.

It comes down to that I don't believe anything that that is said or reported said by any Viking customer service agents.

Thanks for the clarification, Peregrina. I thought you had given up on Viking—sure sounded like it to me at the time!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Australia08 said:

However, the agents at the call center give very contradictory information

It has always been that way. On their part, it is not peculiar to the current times. However, we certainly have been very active and have shared a lot of information, a lot more than usually goes on on a roll call. What has always been there is just magnified in our eyes -- and that doesn't help.

But, yes, I thoroughly agree with everyone who says that there has not been enough communication from Viking. It would have stopped a lot of the rumors and the speculation. Even if the e-mails had made it perfect clear that this is how it is today and we will contact you if there are any changes.  On the Bermuda threads, they are calling it "radio silence."

When my DDs were in elementary school, I used to go into to the school daily. You get to know the staff.  There was a case of whooping cough reported in the school. The principal was going to hold off on sending a note home that day; she wanted to wait until she had all the information. Big mouth here said to her, "Don't wait. Get on top of it today, now. You can always send a second note with more information. If you don't act today with what you already know, the rumor mill is going to blow everything out of proportion before you even send your first note."  A note went home that afternoon and the community was grateful for the quick, open communication.

6 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

We have booked onto the July 31 departure and was wondering if these are UK only cruises or is there going be the opportunity to enjoy the company of our transatlantic travelling companions.

Sorry, these are the same dates as published in the US. No roll call get for your sailing. Are you going to kick it off?

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just got an email from Viking Social in response to my email asking about the lack of included excursions in two of our Icelandic ports.

F65574AC-14DB-40B3-8F5B-3E9C85BC264E.jpeg

Over on that other social website where faces are often buried in books 😉, someone mentioned that MVJ chat was able to book an included tour for one of the ports where no excursion was listed. 

I just got finished with a chat and while the initial response was “we are aware and are working to resolve-check back on MVJ in a few days”, after I stated that another guest was able to book, I was told, “technically we aren’t supposed to do this but let me see what I can do” 🤪

It appears they do not have access to an included tour for Akureyri but there is an 1.5 hour walking tour of Seydisfjördur and we are now reserved on it. 

The rep also was able to tie our two bookings together which he said should make it easier for me to book alternative dining next week for the three of us. 

23 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

The rep also was able to tie our two bookings together which he said should make it easier for me to book alternative dining next week for the three of us. 

Good for you!  Much easier, and makes so much sense!

• Like 1

Shipster, I can't help with your question about the thermal venues, but canceling an already booked optional excursion on Viking was very easy and straightforward the one time we needed to do so. Hope to meet you on board!  --Julie 

4 hours ago, shipster60 said:

Please forgive me for asking so many questions. I am on the July 13 sailing and shorexs   haven’t opened for us yet. I was wondering if someone that has visited Iceland before could give some advice. Which excursion in what port do you think would give me the best chance of seeing Puffins? Many of them mention “birds”. Also, we aren’t going to be able to extend our stay on either end. Because of this, the Blue Lagoon might not happen. Has anyone visited one of the 2 other thermal water venues listed in the shore excursions? Lastly, if we book an optional excursion do we have a chance to cancel it later? Many cruises under my belt but only one RC with Viking. 

One of the descriptions (sorry can’t remember which one) does specifically say Puffins...of course it also has enough wishy washy language that if you don’t see puffins you aren’t going to be able to complain. 

Haven’t been to either venues but we did visit both virtually on YouTube which made us decide to not book either. Once you book an excursion, it will show up on your calendar in MVJ. If you click on the calendar item, it opens the description and there is a cancel button. EasyPeasy

Viking’s website says full refund if canceled at least 48 hours in advance of excursion but others have reported that it needs to be canceled further ahead than that. 

Welcome to Viking!

Edited by Clay Clayton

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

One of the descriptions (sorry can’t remember which one) does specifically say Puffins...of course it also has enough wishy washy language that if you don’t see puffins you aren’t going to be able to complain. 

Haven’t been to either venues but we did visit both virtually on YouTube which made us decide to not book either. Once you book an excursion, it will show up on your calendar in MVJ. If you click on the calendar item, it opens the description and there is a cancel button. EasyPeasy

Viking’s website says full refund if canceled at least 48 hours in advance of excursion but others have reported that it needs to be canceled further ahead than that. 

Welcome to Viking!

We have been to Iceland once and saw no puffins! My wife calls them imaginary birds :). I hope you have better luck!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes, there is a blackout period  on MVJ, starting 7 days before embarkation. That is when the information is uploaded to the ship. MVJ will be read only and then it will completely deleted on embarkation day (save anything you want from MVJ before you leave home).

If you want to cancel an optional for Day 2 or Day 3, it is easiest to cancel before the blackout (but in a pinch, you could probably call Viking).

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I thought you had given up on Viking—sure sounded like it to me at the time!

No, just an ongoing frustration with that one department.

I can't give up on Viking. I have 4 cruises worth of cruise certificates just waiting to be used, not to mention some FCVs from all the cancellations.

Edited by Peregrina651