Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

On 5/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, once you get into the booking section, you can see the exact times.  I’d ignore the morning or afternoon designation on the front page showing in what I posted before.  It’s not usually comprehensive enough.

here is the Deacon description:

404C34CE-8444-4E4E-BD6A-B26D3483C89F.thumb.jpeg.b4b0c1b35913f8eb3c8e641f9b7757a1.jpeg

Do you have any other prices for some of the excursions?  Our July 13th ones have not shown up yet.  Thx

Hi. We just booked, so I have a lot of catching up to do on my reading. A couple comments: If you're on Facebook, you may want to look up a man named Valur, "Your Friend in Reykjavik."  He is a tour guide and live streams some tour  -- in and around Reykjavik. He's informative and fun. 

We were in Iceland a few years ago in June. Except when we drove out onto a cape to see a few lighthouses, it was never really cold. I'll probably take my down jacket and a cap, but nothing heavier or warmer than that. 

If you're going early or staying late, AirBnB has some fun, local places in Reykjavik. We stayed downtown near the Hallgrimskirke (church) and found that to be a nice and convenient location.

14 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Argh-2 hours on the phone and Im worse off than when I started. Here is the test of an email I just sent to Tellus. 

I am writing to express my frustration with three recent interactions with Viking’s call staff-all of which were caused by technical issues with My Viking Journey. 

Alternative dining opened for us today. Because the system does not allow you to see available times when one already has a dining reservation elsewhere  (and because I have a second booking for my mother-in-law so needed a table for 3) I called this morning. The agent was able to locate satisfactory times for us in Manfredi’s but said because she was having computer issues she was unable to cancel our reservations for The Dining Room she couldn’t book Manfredi’s. She suggested I call back and speak to another agent. 

When I did this, the next agent confirmed that actually our reservations for The Restaurant had been canceled but was unable to book Manfredi’s purportedly because reservations wouldn’t open until noon pacific time. This obviously wasn’t the case as others on my CruiseCritic rollcall in the same stateroom category texted they had made reservations while I was on the phone. 

I then called a third time and the agent was also able to see the 6:30 availability we wanted at Manfredi’s but the system wouldn’t let him book it. I requested he rebook our times at The Restaurant however he was unable to do this either. 

So at this point, I have spent almost two hours doing nothing to move us forward and instead we find ourselves without reservations that we had (which also took a phone call to resolve several weeks ago). 

I fail to understand why Viking builds online systems that don’t work well which then requires so much addition effort by guests and your call center staff. The money in call center salaries that are wasted on something that should be simple must be astounding.

Please don’t have someone call me to tell me how much Viking cares about me and appreciates my feedback. However, if someone has the ability to help me book dining reservations between 6 and 7 pm I would appreciate assistance. Otherwise, I hope this email documents technology issues that Viking needs to resolve.

Thank you. 

Clay

Follow and keep up with our retirement travel adventures

Instagram: @ClaynMike

Twitter: @RealClayClayton

Blog:https://CruisinWithClay.wordpress.com

Am just wondering how the computer illiterate or even computer novices fare with all the online bookings that have to be made.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FLGators#1 said:

Am just wondering how the computer illiterate or even computer novices fare with all the online bookings that have to be made.  

There are some who work through their TAs to do the booking.  

Here’s another Viking novice question. Our dining reservations window opens tomorrow. Right now I have 6:15 at the MDR every night. Is there any reason not to book an alternate restaurant on the first night? I always wanted to eat in my “home” restaurant the first night on my other cruises because if you get a nice spot they keep sitting you there every night. Also, we leave port at 6 on several days. Will I be sorry I’m heading toward the dining room instead of watching sail away in any port? No one may be above to answer these random questions that swirl in my head when I’m planning, but any thoughts are appreciated. 

31 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

Here’s another Viking novice question. Our dining reservations window opens tomorrow. Right now I have 6:15 at the MDR every night. Is there any reason not to book an alternate restaurant on the first night? I always wanted to eat in my “home” restaurant the first night on my other cruises because if you get a nice spot they keep sitting you there every night. Also, we leave port at 6 on several days. Will I be sorry I’m heading toward the dining room instead of watching sail away in any port? No one may be above to answer these random questions that swirl in my head when I’m planning, but any thoughts are appreciated. 

I see no reason not to book an alternative restaurant the first night. I would hesitate to book Chef’s Table since you won’t know the menus until you’re aboard but Manfredi’s menu changes very little-specials only really. 

You’re 30 minutes luckier than us, our reservations each night are at 5:45 😢. I kept myself from being too depressed about missing sailaway by realizing that every table in The Restaurant has a view out the windows so we shouldn’t miss too much. 

Welcome to Viking!  

33 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

Other than the jet-lag factor, there is no reason.  Monday and Tuesday, departure is 5pm and Wednesday is 11pm.

Crowd wisdom says to do one reservation at a time because once you delete your MDR, you are not guaranteed to get the same time slot.

30 minutes ago, Valdosta traveler said:

This has probably been asked and answered, but I didn't see a answer.

Will Viking Provide a Covid test and documents for US passengers requiring a test prior to flying back to the US.

Thanks,

At present, yes.  If you post cruise in Iceland, you'll have to source another test while there.

Everything is subject to change.  Stay tuned.

14 minutes ago, Balticsailor said:

This is our first Viking Cruise.  Does anyone know if "nice" jeans (not blue, rather dressy) are acceptable in the dining rooms in the evening?  

Yes.  You should not have any trouble going into the Restaurant wearing "nice" jeans.  In Venice in 2017, I came back to the ship rather late.  I didn't have time to go back to change.  The staff allowed me in.  Granted, I was casual, but not sloppy.  

24 minutes ago, Balticsailor said:

This is our first Viking Cruise.  Does anyone know if "nice" jeans (not blue, rather dressy) are acceptable in the dining rooms in the evening?  

The Viking dress code clearly states that jeans are not permitted. I'll suggest it depends on the staff in the dining room. On the Viking Sun, the MDR host refused entry on a number of occassions to pax wearing jeans.

Other members of the group were shown to a table and they were requested to return to the cabin to change into attire that complies with the dress code.

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Other members of the group were shown to a table and they were requested to return to the cabin to change into attire that complies with the dress code.

Yes, that’s been our experience, too.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Balticsailor said:

Probably, a girlfriend wore black jeans (not faded) that had fancy gems on them with a fancy blouse and nice shoes and no one said anything.  They just dont want faded, holed, work on a farm look in jeans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balticsailor said:

Nope - at least in the past, jeans were only allowed in the World Cafe.  Trousers (Khakis or better) were required in the dining room plus collared shirts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

Yes.  You should not have any trouble going into the Restaurant wearing "nice" jeans.  In Venice in 2017, I came back to the ship rather late.  I didn't have time to go back to change.  The staff allowed me in.  Granted, I was casual, but not sloppy.  

Sorry. The rules have changed and jeans are no longer permitted after 6pm.  The rule is being enforced and we were refused seating in 2020 because DH was wearing black denim.  Rule does not apply to World Cafe.  

I’ve been lurking on the UK summer cruises board and someone over there whose cruises on June 5th just posted about a new feature “Comfort Check In”. Basically provide a picture ahead of time and speed up the process.  I went looking, found it under the same section as the guest check in form...but when ai click on it, it says check in begins in 59 days which is one day after we are scheduled to board🤪

When we traveled on Viking Oceans the first time (2018), we had to email them a picture of our passport. When we checked in our passport picture was already in their system and was what popped up whenever are stateroom cards were swiped. Since then I don’t recall providing an additional picture so maybe this “Comfort Check In” is just for new folks to Viking?

10776E38-8F6C-45AA-8755-A4207BDCCC17.jpeg

Whilst (see what happens when you lurk on the UK thread) poking around the Viking website finding the Comfort Check In I happened the “Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements” section which I don’t recall seeing before  

oh goody Methinks, what all of us have been clamoring for....alas, if it is what we want, they haven’t filled it out yet 👍

807FE4B7-EC41-4935-ADFE-EE8310C42B54.thumb.jpeg.100cccfc5e65f20acd71e8af1c83ae72.jpeg 

8FA62D74-61DC-4189-A94E-495240E921F3.jpeg