Woohoo Australia/New Zealand Travel Bubble

1 hour ago, lissie said:

But realistically who wears masks for hours and hours - and hour or 2 on a plane is one thing - but I can't even imagine doing  it everyt ime I  left my cabin!   That's not living - its hell. Its never been a requirement in NZ (or in Oz I think?) I certainly won't be paying good money for the "privledge" of doing so.  

Masks have been mandatory outside of the home in several places in Australia during an outbreak, and sometimes for a few weeks afterwards. Perhaps NZ has never brought in that requirement when there have been outbreaks. 

When we visited Melbourne a few weeks ago we were required to wear masks on public transport, inside shopping centres, even when using the lifts in the apartment building we stayed in. A cruise ship wouldn't be much different.

It's not like you have to wear a mask all the time onboard, just when moving around the ship's interior, which is sensible. Most people don't spend hours every day walking around the inside of a ship. They go to the dining areas for a meal, to a cafe for coffee, a bar for a drink (which might just be water), they go outdoors by the pool or one of the other deck areas, or just relax on their balcony. No masks needed for any of those activities. Things like shows, trivia, bingo etc would require mask wearing but they are short periods. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lissie said:

But realistically who wears masks for hours and hours - and hour or 2 on a plane is one thing - but I can't even imagine doing  it everyt ime I  left my cabin!   That's not living - its hell. Its never been a requirement in NZ (or in Oz I think?)

Here in Perth we headed to another lockdown for three days yesterday. When I went to the small local shop mid-afternoon to get some milk the young staff there were already wearing masks even though not required for a few more hours. Even if hopefully lockdown is lifted after three days like last February we will likely require masks for around 10 days or so when outside walking, going to shops etc. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Not required when I do my laps around the promenade on deck 7? 🤔

Probably not. That would count as an outside area where masks aren't required. I think the main concern is the lifts, the narrow corridors, and the crowded for short periods spaces leading to dining areas, bars, lounges and theatres. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Here in Perth we headed to another lockdown for three days yesterday. When I went to the small local shop mid-afternoon to get some milk the young staff there were already wearing masks even though not required for a few more hours. Even if hopefully lockdown is lifted after three days like last February we will likely require masks for around 10 days or so when outside walking, going to shops etc. 

Yes the whole of Qld had to wear masks, after short lockdown, for a period.  I wore my mask for the first time outside when I went to a shop, then realised it only had to be worn inside the shop.  No wonder I got some strange looks, being the only one in a mask.  

4 hours ago, lissie said:

But realistically who wears masks for hours and hours - and hour or 2 on a plane is one thing - but I can't even imagine doing  it everyt ime I  left my cabin!   That's not living - its hell. Its never been a requirement in NZ (or in Oz I think?) I certainly won't be paying good money for the "privledge" of doing so.  

In Singapore it seems they are willing to pay for it:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lissie said:

We have been some what lucky in New Zealand (unless you live in Auckland) or go on public transport in NZ that we have not had the requirement that you had to wear a mask when been out in public.

Australia has not been so lucky. When Melbourn had their lock-down last year every one had to wear a mask, and I think NSW and QLD where the same during their lock downs.

• Like 1

From what I have read, wearing a mask is the single most effective thing we can do to limit getting infected, something like 40% effect if my memory serves me. For mine, it's a small price to pay.

• Like 1

I’m happy to wear a mask inside. I’m from Melbourne so wearing a mask inside is old news to me, and quite frankly still feels weird not wearing a mask in places like grocery and shopping centers. It’s while outside that it’s annoying. Particularly when it’s hot. So if required to wear in public spaces, walking around and only able to take off while seated eating and drinking or while outside than that is just fine with me. 

• Like 1

Lynn has to wear a medical grade mask at all times at work, she has taken to having her lunch in the car so she has a respite for a half hour midday. We were masks in all indoor places away from our homes. When we were able to dine in you wore the mask from the door of the restaurant to your table and any time you left the table you put the mask on, and know mingling with other tables.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2021 at 6:22 AM, nnps said:

From what I have read, wearing a mask is the single most effective thing we can do to limit getting infected, something like 40% effect if my memory serves me. For mine, it's a small price to pay.

I don’t have a problem with masks but I do have a problem with people who don’t wear them correctly.

How many people do you see with masks over their mouths but with their noses exposed. Dozens. 

The cloth ones are very heavy and are no doubt less effective than a medically approved mask ...... but come on .....at least adjust it so it doesn’t fall down.

If you’re going to wear one, wear it correctly or don’t bother because you’re not affording yourself any protection if your nose is exposed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, heddyjan said:

How many people do you see with masks over their mouths but with their noses exposed. Dozens. 

A friend sent a visual joke that gave me a good laugh. It was that if someone that wore a mask with their nose hanging over it was like a male wearing underpants with a certain part of their anatomy hanging over the top.

Now when I walk past someone with their nose hanging out it at least makes me laugh at how ridiculous they are.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, frantic36 said:

A friend sent a visual joke that gave me a good laugh. It was that if someone that wore a mask with their nose hanging over it was like a male wearing underpants with a certain part of their anatomy hanging over the top.

Now when I walk past someone with their nose hanging out it at least makes me laugh at how ridiculous they are.

I have to get that mental image out of my head. 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I think masks are going to be with us for a while but as somebody recently said ......if you don’t like a mask you’re certainly not going to like a ventilator!!

Being in Western Australia, I certainly hope we can keep a lid on new infections or we’ll burst that travel bubble.

I am not a mask lover. Only time I had to wear one in this 12 month pandemic is when I was in an Uber and taxi in Sydney. 

Down here, no requirements for mask wearing. Encouraged at one time by the major supermarkets, Coles, Woollies, Aldi and Bunnings, But not mandatory. Mask wearing packing frozen meals on wheels was optional for workers, not required at all now. I do a couple of mornings on that job, but am mainly in the freezer where it is -15C. Big coat and gloves job, passing out the hundreds of frozen meals to the packing people. 

So you will not get me on a cruise if mask wearing is required, not comfortable. Together with all the other expected rules, no bang for one's buck.

Edited by NSWP

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am not a mask lover. Only time I had to wear one in this 12 month pandemic is when I was in an Uber and taxi in Sydney. 

Down here, no requirements for mask wearing. Encouraged at one time by the major supermarkets, Coles, Woollies, Aldi and Bunnings, But not mandatory. Mask wearing packing frozen meals on wheels was optional for workers, not required at all now. I do a couple of mornings on that job, but am mainly in the freezer where it is -15C. Big coat and gloves job, passing out the hundreds of frozen meals to the packing people. 

So you will not get me on a cruise if mask wearing is required, not comfortable. Together with all the other expected rules, no bang for one's buck.

My girlfriend went to Wharf Theatre, STC, not a mask in sight, which is good news to me.  

21 hours ago, NSWP said:

The NSW bubble to NZ has burst, at least for a little while.

Yes, as if that wasn't going to happen. That guy buying a BBQ must be a fussy b. Visited 4 stores on the one day!!

No cases reported this morning, so maybe the bubble will re-develop soon. I predict it will happen many times, so no go to NZ for me for a while - maybe 2022?? 

New article in the Herald re cruising.  3/4 of it is an ad for Silversea but the last few paragraphs are interesting:

A spokesman for Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said the Government was aware of the interest in, and support for, cruise travel by New Zealanders.

"However we're also very aware of the extremely high risks presented by cruise travel during the early stages of the Covid-19 pandemic last year. Any potential return for cruise ships will have to be guided by very stringent public health advice,'' he said.

"At this time, cruise ships are explicitly excluded from participating in the quarantine-free travel arrangement between Australia and New Zealand. At this stage, there's no timeframe for when this may alter. Domestic cruise ships travelling within New Zealand waters are currently allowed to operate."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/silverseas-silver-moon-to-debut-in-june-unprecedented-demand-from-new-zealand-in-luxury-cruises/WDP4MJWLOLPCOWQN4OMOBRQB3U/

• Like 1

We have been booked on the Quantum of the seas for the New Zealand itinerary for 14 months now. It sail from Brisbane in mid January 2022.

In my opinion if we are not back to local and NZ cruising by then there is something drastically wrong. Crew of ships be vaccinated and ship quarantined for two weeks off the coast of Australia before season to weed out any infection if any, quite simple.

If we can have stadiums full of people for the footy there is no reason why cruise ships can't sail.

30 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

We have been booked on the Quantum of the seas for the New Zealand itinerary for 14 months now. It sail from Brisbane in mid January 2022.

In my opinion if we are not back to local and NZ cruising by then there is something drastically wrong. Crew of ships be vaccinated and ship quarantined for two weeks off the coast of Australia before season to weed out any infection if any, quite simple.

If we can have stadiums full of people for the footy there is no reason why cruise ships can't sail.

But you see the PM thinks cruise ships are bad....footy is good. And as we in BC recently surpassed 2 millions doses of vaccine administered, vaccination doesn't seem to be a priority in Oz.

22 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

But you see the PM thinks cruise ships are bad....footy is good. And as we in BC recently surpassed 2 millions doses of vaccine administered, vaccination doesn't seem to be a priority in Oz.

I don't think that's quite true, it's just that whoever are trying to organize it (especially in NSW) couldn't organize a p!ss-up in a brewery! There is conflicting information online and at vaccination centres. Restricting who gets which vaccine just added to the confusion, and not getting 3 million promised Pfizer doses early on screwed up the start of the rollout.

Also the media have been hammering the blood clot issue so now some people are afraid to get the vaccine.

Luckily for us the medical centre we go to got the vaccine and they are very organized, even to the point of offering left over doses at the end of a day to anyone who wanted it which is how I got mine early.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

Thanks Julie, I understand your point and agree. I do however think that leaders have to lead and your leaders seem to be hunkered in a bunker somewhere happy with the lock downs. ScoMo is the warden of the worlds largest prison, and he seems to like it like that.

Once again I apologize as a foreigner commenting on your politics especially on this cruise forum.

• Like 2