Big news about Hawaii travel restrictions

philv

2 hours ago, philv said:

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawaii-residents-excited-over-new-coronavirus-travel-rules/

Hawaii is opening inter island travel to vaccinated residents. Should be good news to those wishing to cruise on Pride of America.

The key word here is "residents".  Before the mainland gets excited, do note it appears at this time that it applies only to local residents who have had their vaccinations in the state of Hawaii.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The key word here is "residents".  Before the mainland gets excited, do note it appears at this time that it applies only to local residents who have had their vaccinations in the state of Hawaii.

Yea but it’s a step in the right direction. It recognizes that you don’t need these other restrictions if vaccinated. One step closer to ending restrictions. 💉🚢😀

• Like 1

Can’t wait to return to Hawaii, my favourite place. They seem to be doing a great job in controlling the virus, especially on Kauai. It only makes sense that the vaccinated residents should be travelling ahead of everyone else. Hopefully I’ll get there in 2022 when fully vaccinated.

Still waiting to hear them open up mainland to Hawaii travel to fully vaccinated; so we don't have to get negative covid test.  I know it's coming; just don't know when that decision will be made

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Still waiting to hear them open up mainland to Hawaii travel to fully vaccinated; so we don't have to get negative covid test.  I know it's coming; just don't know when that decision will be made

June was discussed earlier. No firm date has been announced this far out. That has not been the style of the Hawaiian government in the Covid era. Be happy if you get more than 2 or 3 weeks notice. 

CruiserBruce;   we leave Jun 3.  As of today I am prepared to get a covid test for me and my family.  If they change the rules in May to no test then we will be happy as well.  Have a great day.

13 hours ago, AF-1 said:

CruiserBruce;   we leave Jun 3.  As of today I am prepared to get a covid test for me and my family.  If they change the rules in May to no test then we will be happy as well.  Have a great day.

Will you be going to more than 1 island? Ifso it will not be one and done. I have a land trip planned if POA is not sailing. We plan to go  to 3 islands for the 9 days and all the tests that we will need is $1000.00 for the 2 of us. Right now Maui requires 2 tests.If things go well than Hawaii will lift those requirements in July. Lets hope so.

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

Will you be going to more than 1 island? Ifso it will not be one and done. I have a land trip planned if POA is not sailing. We plan to go  to 3 islands for the 9 days and all the tests that we will need is $1000.00 for the 2 of us. Right now Maui requires 2 tests.If things go well than Hawaii will lift those requirements in July. Lets hope so.

With all due respect, do listen to those who have suggested three islands in nine days is really no way to enjoy Hawaii - unless you like spending a lot of time at airports. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

With all due respect, do listen to those who have suggested three islands in nine days is really no way to enjoy Hawaii - unless you like spending a lot of time at airports. 

With all due respect, we have done it several times before, right now it is the multiple testing that we are required to do that will be the problem, but they are saying that the multiple testing for mainlanders fully vaccinated will be lifted in mid July.

10 hours ago, sugcarol said:

but they are saying that the multiple testing for mainlanders fully vaccinated will be lifted in mid July.

I wouldn't bet on it. Hawaii has had a long tradition during all of this of erring on the side of extreme caution and continually postponing and deferring the lifting of restrictions. Prior to opening up at all last October they continually kept extending that for months. 

There is no reason to think that the same wont happen here and maintaining restrictions on visitors is politically popular among the locals. 

sugcarol.  We are just going to Oahu.  We will be staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki.  We plan on getting the covid test at our local Walgreens.  They say there is no charge for the test and will email results within 24 hrs.  So that is our plan as of today.  Have a nice day.

just back from Big Island, we needed 2 QR codes as we stopped in HNL before a second flight to KOA. Also if renting a car QR code needs to be shown as well as at hotel check in. It will drive you crazy if you are not iphone savvy. many restaurants have menus on QR codes only so be prepared to read tiny print in bright sunlight to decide what to eat. Otherwise Hawaii is paradise as always.

21 hours ago, AF-1 said:

sugcarol.  We are just going to Oahu.  We will be staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki.  We plan on getting the covid test at our local Walgreens.  They say there is no charge for the test and will email results within 24 hrs.  So that is our plan as of today.  Have a nice day.

Edited by sugcarol
message missing

21 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Hilton Hawaiian Village is a beautiful resort, I hope all goes well for you. Walgreens here costs 129.00 for Covid test to visit Hawaii. It is free if you have symptoms or been exposed. How difficult was it to set up your Safe Travels accounts? I am sorely lacking in cellphone skills.

7 hours ago, sugcarol said:

Hilton Hawaiian Village is a beautiful resort, I hope all goes well for you. Walgreens here costs 129.00 for Covid test to visit Hawaii. It is free if you have symptoms or been exposed. How difficult was it to set up your Safe Travels accounts? I am sorely lacking in cellphone skills.

Almost none of this needs to be done on your cell phone...the only thing to do on your cell phone is a screen capture of your QR code with the two green checks on it, and your test and quarantine status. EVERYTHING  else can be done on a laptop or desktop. 

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

That is good to know, i heard from others it was difficult. I watched several youtube videos and it looked complicated. 

It's not that difficult. I would say you need 10 or 15 minutes set up per person. Then, once you have your test results,  10 or 15 minutes per person follow up to be ready for flight. We have flown to Hawaii twice since December, and I have done all the computer work. My wife just takes her test, and shows her screen capture QR code when she has to.

On 4/27/2021 at 12:41 PM, sugcarol said:

To add some info in addition to what CruiserBruce mentioned.  You can fill out part of the safe travels Hawaii weblink.

https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/

I checked with my local Walgreens and they have drive thru and the gal said my results would be back in two hours.  They do it right at the store.  So once I get the email with a negative result;  I upload it to the above travel link and wait for Hawaii to send me the QR code

• Thanks 1

I read that the Bahamas no longer require vaccinated passengers to have negative Covid test to visit.  Seems to me that Hawaii which is our 50th state;  should have same requirement.  I know that are talking about it.  We shall see.  

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I read that the Bahamas no longer require vaccinated passengers to have negative Covid test to visit.  Seems to me that Hawaii which is our 50th state;  should have same requirement.  I know that are talking about it.  We shall see.  

We are just curious what Bahama's rules have to do with Hawaii?

• Thanks 1

Silver Sweethearts, The Gov of Hawaii says he won't allow waiver of fully vaccinated people from the mainland to visit Oahu without negative covid test.  His Lt. Gov doesn't agree.  His reasoning is; we don't have a lot of hospitals to handle an influx of covid cases on the island.  The Bahamas is smaller than Oahu, fewer hospitals, and they are allowing fully vaccinated people from the US to visit island without a covid test.  Just curious as to why a foreign island allows people and our own state does not.  Thats it.  I know every state has its right to make its own rules regardless of what the President or CDC says.  

Edited by AF-1

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Silver Sweethearts, The Gov of Hawaii says he won't allow waiver of fully vaccinated people from the mainland to visit Oahu without negative covid test.  His Lt. Gov doesn't agree.  His reasoning is; we don't have a lot of hospitals to handle an influx of covid cases on the island.  The Bahamas is smaller than Oahu, fewer hospitals, and they are allowing fully vaccinated people from the US to visit island without a covid test.  Just curious as to why a foreign island allows people and our own state does not.  Thats it.  I know every state has its right to make its own rules regardless of what the President or CDC says.  

Maybe the Bahamas are more desperate for tourism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1