Please, just require passengers to be vaccinated so we can get back to sea.

djjoe

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

A job and cruise line different though. You can many jobs. There is only one 1 Royal or 1 NCL or 1 Cunard though isn't there. It is something you would always regret I think isn't it. Do you think in a few years time such bans would be lifted? I don't think you could fight the ban in court could you?

I guess it depends on the job, I've had jobs that I would be devastated to lose because they were rare and hard to get. I think any ban would have to be weighed against the behavior. Assault is probably a lifetime ban though, that's over the line I would say.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, broberts said:

The point was that sometimes the amount of information that must be conveyed for a satisfactory explanation precludes a reasonable response. And sometimes the person perceiving an arbitrary rule is unwilling to accept the basis of the rule.

And my point was "Daddy said so" works on a 5 year old, not a 50 year old. I think what chafes people like me is the combination of condescension and contempt that some people display when trying to tell others that something is "for their own good." I don't know about you, but if someone is trying to encourage me to modify my behavior, calling me names doesn't do it. It usually produces the opposite effect. (And I'm not speaking of you in particular, by the way, I'm referring to people in general who use the scolding, finger-wagging approach)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Agreed. And people like me listened to the experts who reminded us that lock downs and restrictions would only be necessary until widespread vaccines were available, which they are. And I just read a good article yesterday in the Washington Post in which it was stressed again that we're "almost there" in terms of herd immunity and masks won't be necessary, which is great news. Now let's see it happen.

OK, then if we're almost there (but not there yet) then why are the restrictions stupid now? Wouldn't they be stupid once we get there?

Just now, Pratique said:

OK, then if we're almost there (but not there yet) then why are the restrictions stupid now? Wouldn't they be stupid once we get there?

Because some of them are still in application uniformly in places where it doesn't make sense. When we were in Key West last month, we were supposed to be masked up even while on the streets. I thought the scientists said being outside it wasn't necessary. Now I've answered your question, please do me the courtesy of answering mine: If the CDC says that vaccinated people don't need to wear masks around each other, do you think it would be stupid for local ordinances to require them even then?

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Now I've answered your question, please do me the courtesy of answering mine: If the CDC says that vaccinated people don't need to wear masks around each other, do you think it would be stupid for local ordinances to require them even then?

No, it's not stupid because not everyone is vaccinated yet.

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm referring to people in general who use the scolding, finger-wagging approach

Anyone remember Deltalina, the redheaded flight attendant on the Delta safety video who wagged her finger admonishing those who do not obey the "smoking is not allowed" rule? I thought that was effective.

8 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Assault is probably a lifetime ban though, that's over the line I would say

So is another passenger telling you what to do to be fair. Staff telling you what do fair enough even though they don't get paid enough. But another passenger is something else.

5 minutes ago, Pratique said:

No, it's not stupid because not everyone is vaccinated yet.

Anyone remember Deltalina, the redheaded flight attendant on the Delta safety video who wagged her finger admonishing those who do not obey the "smoking is not allowed" rule? I thought that was effective.

Yes, I remember laughing at that flight attendant in the video and thought it was funny. And that's exactly my point: It was good because it was done in a humorous, relaxed fashion, not people SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS or being rude.

And I take it you believe that the "price" of going back to normal is EVERYONE vaccinated? Everyone in the entire world or masks must be required or else? Are you serious? Because that's an impossible threshold to attain, and if your answer to that is "well, we'll never get back to normal because people won't do the right thing and get vaccinated," then you sound like a dictator.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

I rec'd an email from Azamara(no longer part of RCG).  Note vaccination requirement :

After a long pause and more than a year of challenges, it is my honor to deliver some amazing news! Azamara’s return to sailing date is now confirmed for August 28, 2021, and we couldn’t be more excited. We will officially be back with six new 7-night Greece Intensive itineraries for Azamara Quest®, open for booking on May 11, 2021. We couldn’t have done this without the support of loyalty members like you! Together, we will explore this new world — all while keeping health and safety a top priority.

We are thrilled to kick off our sailings in Greece, one of our favorite countries in the Mediterranean. These journeys let you unpack once before immersing you in Greece’s legendary locales, as well as smaller ports larger ships can’t reach. Of course, we offer longer stays, more overnights, and unique experiences that allow you to absorb more of Greece’s culture — from the charming turreted buildings of Rhodes to the Cretan delicacies of Heraklion and all the quaint tavernas in between.

To ensure a safe environment for everyone, we will require all guests and crew to be vaccinated. It’s our way of taking care of one another, and keeping our Azamara family healthy. In addition to this new measure, we have enhanced our health and safety protocols in collaboration with the Royal Caribbean Group’s Healthy Sail Panel. We will share more updates on this once these new Greek voyages open for booking on May 11, 2021.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 7:11 PM, DWhit said:

I figure a cruise company and should be able to decide to whom they provide services, as long as no denial of services violate laws where they operating.  If they want to have a cruise for vaccinated folks only, that is their right.  If they want to provide a cruise for non-vaccinated people only, that is their right.  After all the purpose of a cruise company is not provide cruises, it is to make money for shareholders.

You know, you might be on to something there.  That's a pretty good idea.  Except I'd still be fearful for the onboard staff, vaccinated or not.

9 minutes ago, SailyaCruise said:

You know, you might be on to something there.  That's a pretty good idea.  Except I'd still be fearful for the onboard staff, vaccinated or not.

I would assume "all vaccinated" would apply to crew as well as passengers.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, mek said:

Not up to me or any other passengers to police the ship and so I will mind my own business if I'm lucky enough to sail in November.  If I don't like the way things are being handled on the ship, then I can easily spend most of my time on my balcony, relaxing and playing cards with my husband.  I will be on Oasis - if there is a problem it's easy to go somewhere else away from the trouble.

But, I think the majority of people who are fortunate to sail when cruising resumes will abide by the rules - most realize what is at stake for the future of cruising.

From your lips to God's ears.  Have a wonderful cruise.  I loved the Oasis.  We're too chicken to go this year, we're sitting out until late next year.  I'm literally counting the days and watching cruise embarkation videos on Youtube.  I've probably seen all of the Symphony embarkation videos at least twice.  🤣

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Agreed. And people like me listened to the experts who reminded us that lock downs and restrictions would only be necessary until widespread vaccines were available, which they are. And I just read a good article yesterday in the Washington Post in which it was stressed again that we're "almost there" in terms of herd immunity and masks won't be necessary, which is great news. Now let's see it happen.

That’s the point. We are almost there, but we aren’t yet so people need to keep wearing masks and getting the shots.

• Like 3

Just now, OZ. said:

That’s the point. We are almost there, but we aren’t yet so people need to keep wearing masks and getting the shots.

Done and done. (I got my 2nd shot Saturday and I have about 15 masks in my car)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

I rec'd an email from Azamara(no longer part of RCG).  Note vaccination requirement :

After a long pause and more than a year of challenges, it is my honor to deliver some amazing news! Azamara’s return to sailing date is now confirmed for August 28, 2021, and we couldn’t be more excited. We will officially be back with six new 7-night Greece Intensive itineraries for Azamara Quest®, open for booking on May 11, 2021. We couldn’t have done this without the support of loyalty members like you! Together, we will explore this new world — all while keeping health and safety a top priority.

We are thrilled to kick off our sailings in Greece, one of our favorite countries in the Mediterranean. These journeys let you unpack once before immersing you in Greece’s legendary locales, as well as smaller ports larger ships can’t reach. Of course, we offer longer stays, more overnights, and unique experiences that allow you to absorb more of Greece’s culture — from the charming turreted buildings of Rhodes to the Cretan delicacies of Heraklion and all the quaint tavernas in between.

To ensure a safe environment for everyone, we will require all guests and crew to be vaccinated. It’s our way of taking care of one another, and keeping our Azamara family healthy. In addition to this new measure, we have enhanced our health and safety protocols in collaboration with the Royal Caribbean Group’s Healthy Sail Panel. We will share more updates on this once these new Greek voyages open for booking on May 11, 2021.

That’s great to hear. Hope others follow along.

29 minutes ago, OZ. said:

The next CRISIS will be that people are not getting vaccinated.  In Cincy last weekend, had a no reservation Covid vaccine shot event at the NFL stadium in town. They had vaccine for 5,000, only 1,000 people bothered to attend.  Weather was beautifully sunny.

I think they need some younger and more positive people sending the vaccine message, rather than the double masked and eminent doom sayers (or I forget the exact words she used just about 2 weeks ago, but in medicine it basically means no hope).  We as a country have come a long way, now we need to finish the job while at the same time helping distribute the vaccine throughout the world.

Eddie

ps...she used the words...impending doom....

Edited by Eddie Wilson
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

The next CRISIS will be that people are not getting vaccinated.  In Cincy last weekend, had a no reservation Covid vaccine shot event at the NFL stadium in town. They had vaccine for 5,000, only 1,000 people bothered to attend.  Weather was beautifully sunny.

I think they need some younger and more positive people sending the vaccine message, rather than the double masked and eminent doom sayers (or I forget the exact words she used just about 2 weeks ago, but in medicine it basically means no hope).  We as a country have come a long way, now we need to finish the job while at the same time helping distribute the vaccine throughout the world.

Eddie

West Virginia is giving a $100 saving bond to young people when they get vaccinated. 💲

I think tickets to a full capacity NFL game would work better because they couldn't get a full capacity game until they get their buddies, and their buddies', buddies vaccinated too. Maybe include a keg for the tailgate party too. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Eddie

I can't wait to hear the arguments about how the young are now anti-vaxxers, too. Not really a winning strategy, in my view, to shame the hesitant into getting vaccinated. It'll be interesting to see what kind of incentives they come up with to entice younger folks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I can't wait to hear the arguments about how the young are now anti-vaxxers, too. Not really a winning strategy, in my view, to shame the hesitant into getting vaccinated. It'll be interesting to see what kind of incentives they come up with to entice younger folks.

Easy - 12 pack of beer, $60 for a bag of hippie lettuce, $$$ , vouchers for cell phone bills,  etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, ace2542 said:

75% of USA will never be vaccinated and the cases will never be manageable as 1 case of Covid is too many on land never mind on a cruise ship.

And all the more reason to require vaccinations to cruise!  Thanks to the OP for this thread - AMEN to you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Easy - 12 pack of beer, $60 for a bag of hippie lettuce, $$$ , vouchers for cell phone bills,  etc etc.

Heck some will do it for a donut.  Krispy Kreme is offering a free glazed donut with proof of vaccination.  Uber and Lyft are offering free rides to and from vaccination sites and Office Depot and Office Max are offering free lamination of CDC cards.  What more do they want?  LOL

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 5.26.09 PM.png

• Haha 1