Please, just require passengers to be vaccinated so we can get back to sea.

djjoe

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

How many cruise lines that require vaccines also require strict mask policies?  None of them have even sailed yet.

What?  Seriously?  That's how propaganda develops.  All of those cruise lines that I read "Sail with Confidence" within last 4-6 weeks state mask requirements (some say inside, some say everywhere, some say except while active eating).  For example:

| Ponant

So, are you saying no mask will be required when cruises resume?  Do you promise?  I will be the first to go.

29 minutes ago, broberts said:

@TheMastodon, stop with the nonsense and conspiracy stats. It doesn't contribute anything to the discussion and my fingers get tired scrolling through the muck.

There is an ignore feature if you feel that way.  I personally think that giving alternate viewpoints and stats is a healthy way to have free speech.  Not everyone has to have the same viewpoint as you do (at least not in America).

• Like 5

I just noticed this update related to Royal sailings. current view on masking

What I still don't get... is while CDC policy for fully vaccinated people hanging out with other fully vaccinated people is that masking and social distancing is not required... I don't quite get why masking indoors will still be required if everyone on the ship who is allowed to be vaccinated is vaccinated. Issue must be the kids... again..perhaps initial sailings should not include children until we know more.  Interesting thing...when I booked I was told I would only have to wear masks when approaching others on the ship...not wear them full time.... I was okay with that.. not sure this new policy is the same thing.

Edited by kearney

I am on a four day cruise to nowhere from Southampton (UK) on Anthem in July. All adults must have received both vaccinations with the second one being at least two weeks before. Under 18s need to have a clear PCR test, not a rapid flow one. It's only available to UK residents so no flying in etc.

They are doing this all summer some are stopping in Liverpool, Greenock and Ireland.

The take up for vaccinations here is high and we are now vaccinating early 40s. Younger people with underlying health issues have already been picked up.

I am just very happy to be going away for four nights. Apart from food shopping we have hardly left our house for a year!

I have a NCL one booked for September from Italy, everyone including under 18s need to be vaccinated. Who knows if it will go ahead, it really depends on if we are allowed to fly from the UK to Italy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fabulous97 said:

I am on a four day cruise to nowhere from Southampton (UK) on Anthem in July. All adults must have received both vaccinations with the second one being at least two weeks before. Under 18s need to have a clear PCR test, not a rapid flow one. It's only available to UK residents so no flying in etc.

They are doing this all summer some are stopping in Liverpool, Greenock and Ireland.

The take up for vaccinations here is high and we are now vaccinating early 40s. Younger people with underlying health issues have already been picked up.

I am just very happy to be going away for four nights. Apart from food shopping we have hardly left our house for a year!

I have a NCL one booked for September from Italy, everyone including under 18s need to be vaccinated. Who knows if it will go ahead, it really depends on if we are allowed to fly from the UK to Italy.

We have also been stuck for the past year. We were on one of the last uninterrupted cruises last year ...returning March 13... the next sailing was cut short... we decided to self quarantine when we returned home..since we heard a few workers at the port had tested positive. I had not planned on cruising until US ports were open...but getting stir crazy.  I don't mind some masking...but the problem I have is my glasses fogging up... 

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In all the years that I have been alive I only “met” one person who had the same birthday as me.

There is a fellow CC member (who is also a friend)  that shares the same birthday as me

Edited by molly361

22 hours ago, Pratique said:

OK, then if we're almost there (but not there yet) then why are the restrictions stupid now? Wouldn't they be stupid once we get there?

Exactly.  But apparently it's acceptable to complain and prognosticate how repressive things will be once we reach that point without a shred of evidence.  You know, the whole "we'll be made to wear masks FOREVER" comments...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kearney said:

What I still don't get... is while CDC policy for fully vaccinated people hanging out with other fully vaccinated people is that masking and social distancing is not required... I don't quite get why masking indoors will still be required if everyone on the ship who is allowed to be vaccinated is vaccinated. Issue must be the kids... again..perhaps initial sailings should not include children until we know more.  Interesting thing...when I booked I was told I would only have to wear masks when approaching others on the ship...not wear them full time.... I was okay with that.. not sure this new policy is the same thing.

No mask required in small group settings and outdoors.  Not when in large groups or indoors.  That's why masks will still be required on cruise ships.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

There is an ignore feature if you feel that way.  I personally think that giving alternate viewpoints and stats is a healthy way to have free speech.  Not everyone has to have the same viewpoint as you do (at least not in America).

I too like to read alternate viewpoints. It's why I have only used the feature when someone is engaged in personal attacks.

I certainly don't expect others to share some of any of my views. What I do expect is integrity and honesty in presenting other viewpoints. 

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

No mask required in small group settings and outdoors.  Not when in large groups or indoors.  That's why masks will still be required on cruise ships.

I am referring to this... CDC guidance for fully vaccinated

Read the first bullet point..and remember...unlike a typical 'public' setting where you don't know if people have been vaccinated... cruise ships are only allowing people who have been fully vaccinated. The issue is kids..and in theory... you should be able to follow these guidelines if bars, theaters and dining room after 8:30 were to keep those <18 out.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 11.22.22 AM.png

3 minutes ago, kearney said:

Read the first bullet point..and remember...unlike a typical 'public' setting where you don't know if people have been vaccinated... cruise ships are only allowing people who have been fully vaccinated. The issue is kids..and in theory... you should be able to follow these guidelines if bars, theaters and dining room after 8:30 were to keep those <18 out.

You know what I hope? I hope that the cruise lines that allow vaccinated passengers to have a "regular" cruise, i.e. no masks, end up booking so fast that other lines are forced to do likewise. And it's worth pointing out that the CDC has ZERO jurisdiction on cruises outside the US. Absolutely none. So any cruise line sailing from outside the US is free to ignore every single one of their recommendations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Under 16 is a significant issue. While cruise lines might be willing to start without under 16 passengers, I doubt the CDC would be comfortable with such guidance. It's a conundrum

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

You know what I hope? I hope that the cruise lines that allow vaccinated passengers to have a "regular" cruise, i.e. no masks, end up booking so fast that other lines are forced to do likewise. And it's worth pointing out that the CDC has ZERO jurisdiction on cruises outside the US. Absolutely none. So any cruise line sailing from outside the US is free to ignore every single one of their recommendations.

I wish that they had decided to sail with all vaccinated to demonstrate safety and then add <18 later. This way it would be difficult to say that they were not following guidelines... kids confuse the issue. But if you keep them out of certain areas... like bars or spa or one of the pools... it seems to me that everyone else can do normal things in those areas. Johns Hopkins review of test results from vaccinated people even noted that the only reason vaccinated people wear masks in 'public' is because you don't know who is and who is not vaccinated... So if you know everyone is vaccinated... masks shouldn't be needed... The reason you do is that you can't trust unvaccinated not to wear masks..or at least that is the assumption.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, kearney said:

Johns Hopkins review of test results from vaccinated people even noted that the only reason vaccinated people wear masks in 'public' is because you don't know who is and who is not vaccinated... So if you know everyone is vaccinated... masks shouldn't be needed..

Thanks for posting this, for me this is the biggest takeaway of all!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

No, that's not true according to a person who replied to my comment.

Edited by kirtihk

22 minutes ago, kearney said:

Unless they are willing to make a hard rule that no one unvaccinated at all can board, under 16/18's will be an issue. I can't foresee an agreement being made where the unvaccinated minors are simply restricted from certain areas. Onboard enforcement of any 'rule' at all is poor at best. I would not leave it up to the crew to police that situation.

Then we have Carnival who apparently is favoring "personal choice and personal liberty" over safely returning to cruising from the US will continue to muck up progress for everyone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

The link below is the latest guidance and would seem to indicate that social gatherings with lots of people (indoors or outdoors) is not what is intended.  I think it is reasonable to think that poolside and outdoor restaurants are not going to be an issue, although they'll probably social distance on tables and such.  Indoors, because of social distancing issues and larger crowds, there will likely be masking.  It obviously will be up to the cruise lines (with CDC input at least here in US) on mask policy, but I do expect them to err on the side of caution.

"Attend a small, indoor gathering of fully vaccinated and unvaccinated people from multiple households"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/participate-in-activities.html

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

No, that's not true according to a person who replied to my comment.

See my post #376.  It would appear that all of the sailings scheduled for the UK are requiring masks even with vaccinated passengers.  The Med sailings out of Greece as well.  The protocols for the North America cruises haven't been issued yet, but I expect those will require masks at least for the short term.  

26 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

... The CDC who says kids need to wear masks regardless of age, or the NHS which says they dont and putting masks on 3-year-olds can literally cause them to suffocate?

https://www.doncasterccg.nhs.uk/babies-and-children-under-11-years-do-not-require-face-masks/?doing_wp_cron=1619634869.6805739402770996093750

Not so. CDC says children 2 years old and above should wear masks. It also recognizes that not all children will be able to safely wear a mask correctly.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/children/protect-children.html

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I doubt there will be any andatory rules to get vaccinated before getting on board..

Good luck with that.   We don't plan on cruising before 2023 regardless of vaccine rules.  No interest in the hundred other restrictions that will be in place once onboard.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:16 PM, djjoe said:

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but here goes. The Royal Caribbean cruises outside of the USA require the vaccine, why can't we. ...  By summer there's no reason why we can't get back to sea feeling comfortable aboard a ship knowing that all guests are fully vaccinated.

Probably because of this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/18/scams-coronavirus-vaccination-cards/

Royal doesn't want to do what would have to be done to ensure, with legal liability at stake, that everyone is in fact vaccinated and not just claiming to be vaccinated.  And I don't blame them.  I have no idea how they would catch the liars, but it would be expensive and probably intrusive, with the potential for some bad publicity, however they might do it.  I wish there were an easy way to make absolutely sure that people are vaccinated.  That would make the situation much simpler.

• Like 1

Just now, easy1234 said:

All guests over the age of 10 are required to wear masks at all times except when actively eating and swimming, regardless of vaccination status. Guests 10 and under do not need to wear masks. This is based off guidance from the UK's NHS. The question is, which experts do we listen to? The CDC who says kids need to wear masks regardless of age, or the NHS which says they dont and putting masks on 3-year-olds can literally cause them to suffocate?

https://www.doncasterccg.nhs.uk/babies-and-children-under-11-years-do-not-require-face-masks/?doing_wp_cron=1619634869.6805739402770996093750

Ok, enough with the drama.  Masks do not make anyone suffocate and no one suggested putting 3 masks on anyone.  The rules you cite are for Disney cruises I think.  I have not seen the age exception on the other lines.  Children can pass on the virus, which is the reason for masking.   I would remind you that the lines that are sailing out of the Med and the Bahamas/Bermuda, are making their own rules.  The CDC is not involved in those sailings.

5 hours ago, Keksie said:

The corollary to the idea of free speech that no one seems to remember is that everyone else is just as free to call out stupidity when they see it.  "Free speech" does not mean that anyone can say anything without fear of paying a social price for it in the form of criticism.

• Like 6