Drink Vouchers for Diamond, etc.

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Back before Covid there was a financial gain for Royal to only offer the discount off on board prices as many would buy the package regardless.  Now that drinks can be all day and any type there will be may who no longer purchase the package so that incentive is no longer there.  Now it actually makes more sense for them to offer discounts on the cruise planner price since they are already giving you 4,5 or 6 drinks and most people probably aren't drinking many more than that plus the non alcoholic drinks

Didn't folks used to calculate the break even point at around 6-7 drinks per day

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Didn't folks used to calculate the break even point at around 6-7 drinks per day

Yes and some did elaborate Excel spreadsheets to mark the break even point.  Unless you drink a lot of specialty coffees, soft drinks, bottled water and booze - they don’t make sense to purchase.  I’m content with the drinks loaded on my card to use whenever I want. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

How about unlimited for just two hours?

FWIW, the 3 vouchers added many years ago was supposed to alleviate crowding.

There is no reason to keep lounge as a happy hour venue if they boost the vouchers to 4/5/6

At that time when the 3-drink vouchers were introduced, many posted that it was the first shot across the bow and the beginning of the end for the D lounge, and I admit I felt that way.

I believed the change would take place slowly.  However, the pandemic may have opened the door for RCCL management to accelerate the transformation.

Will all CLs become SLs (many have) and all DLs become CLs with access limited to D+ and/or P?  And all Ds have the 3-drink voucher.  Or will the CL be open only to P (but we do know that at times certain cruises have very few Ps.  I was once on a cruise with 3 Ps total.) and Ds have 3-drink vouchers and D+ have 4-drink vouchers?  Of course, there may be many other permutations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes and some did elaborate Excel spreadsheets to mark the break even point.  Unless you drink a lot of specialty coffees, soft drinks, bottled water and booze - they don’t make sense to purchase.  I’m content with the drinks loaded on my card to use whenever I want. 

I got hooked on Lemon Drops a long time ago because they could always be counted upon in the lounges. But my favorite drink is a Mojito, alas, the lounges never have the mint. 

As for the pkg, we usually get soaked and tired of booz by about half way in, so it would never pay us to purchase, we hardly drink at all the last couple of days.  That's also why the low price 10 drink offer half way through the cruise wouldn't work for us either.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

For me it's almost always 4 drinks a day. $12-$13 x 4 plus $10-$12.50 in bottled water plus $5-$12 in specialty coffee plus $8-$12 in fresh orange juice. And that's before considering incidental diet cokes at lunch/dinner or similar such things. And the Coke Freestyle machine beverages to go with the pizza every night. Can't forget washing down the pizza every night! And frankly if I had only 4 drinks in one day on a cruise ship, people would be wheeling me into the hospital thinking I was probably dying of some tropical disease. But then, I love just hanging out at the bar reading my Kindle, sipping on a Sea Breeze, and chatting with folks wandering by.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I got hooked on Lemon Drops a long time ago because they could always be counted upon in the lounges. But my favorite drink is a Mojito, alas, the lounges never have the mint. 

As for the pkg, we usually get soaked and tired of booz by about half way in, so it would never pay us to purchase, we hardly drink at all the last couple of days.  That's also why the low price 10 drink offer half way through the cruise wouldn't work for us either.

We got burned out on both food and drink on our STAR trip last March. I'll likely never commit to a pkg.

Really looking forward to spreading the C&A drinks over the whole day if that happens

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

OTOH,  bartenders tend to stick to the rules on the pour. however, in the lounge, not so much.

Some bartenders, if tipped, may tend to be a little more generous.

Honestly, I don't want more generous. The recipe for a cocktail exists for a reason. I don't want a pink Cape Codder. To much vodka, especially NA, kills the taste 😉

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Honestly, I don't want more generous. The recipe for a cocktail exists for a reason. I don't want a pink Cape Codder. To much vodka, especially NA, kills the taste 😉

I was talking simple stuff, like rum and Coke.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I also always get my drink in a rocks glass, not the monstrosity they want to serve it in. I want the drink, not a bazillion gallons of liquid. 🙂 Granted, if you actually compare glass sizes it's not all that different, but it is different.

I agree with John.  I also am not interested in too much liquor causing me to pucker...LOL.  The best Lemon Drop I ever had came from the tender in the bar in front of Windjammer on Liberty.  She made me one and when I tasted it, my eyes popped.  It was delicious!  She gave me a lesson, the only bartender I've ever seen who twisted an orange peel over a Lemon Drop...made a huge difference.  I can't tell you what nuances it had...mmmm mouth watering!  I have requested that ever since.  You could see the orange oils sizzle into the martini glass...ya gotta try it.  But too much Vodka would kill that too.

I forgot, after she twists the peel, she takes it and rubs the rim with it.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I agree with John.  I also am not interested in too much liquor causing me to pucker...LOL.  The best Lemon Drop I ever had came from the tender in the bar in front of Windjammer on Liberty.  She made me one and when I tasted it, my eyes popped.  It was delicious!  She gave me a lesson, the only bartender I've ever seen who twisted an orange peel over a Lemon Drop...made a huge difference.  I can't tell you what nuances it had...mmmm mouth watering!  I have requested that ever since.  You could see the orange oils sizzle into the martini glass...ya gotta try it.  But too much Vodka would kill that too.

I forgot, after she twists the peel, she takes it and rubs the rim with it.

I'll have to try that, thanks

2 hours ago, mo&fran said:

OTOH,  bartenders tend to stick to the rules on the pour. however, in the lounge, not so much.

Some bartenders, if tipped, may tend to be a little more generous.

True for wine.

30 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Better wine at the bars😉

Some people are happy with quantity over quality.  Some people wouldn’t know a good wine if the Baron of Rothschild handed them the glass.  😆

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It doesn't look like things changed any after Quantum's 2 week wetdock - she started sailing again yesterday:

May be an image of text that says 'J SOCIETY YOUR ONBOARD OFFERS ARE LOADED YOUR SEAPASS CARD EXCLUSIVE ONBOARD AC FOR DIAMOND Please make purchase Sincerely, always, pleasureto WINE DINE wine, SERVICES $10 Clean Press $34.99 Wash Fold Laundry night sailings) Tuxedo ENTERTAINMENT $25) Photo One Internet device or ($22.99] off any Package 10%of Photo ackage Photobook 20% offan SpaS (excluding rate 32 Conditions cruise, for paying additional available incurred Loyalty Ambassador's onboard accounts. Otters applicable Members Labadee Perfect benefit nternet island. one-time will RovalCar INTERNA Quantum of the Seas 26 April 2021 (First Cruise after Wetdock) SINGAPORE CRUISE SOCIETY'

Thanks for update, but wasn't there a coffee voucher at one time?

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Thanks for update, but wasn't there a coffee voucher at one time?

Right, I assume that's still the case but they didn't list it. Someone on a future sailing will have to confirm.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It doesn't look like things changed any after Quantum's 2 week wetdock - she started sailing again yesterday:

I must be late to the party, just noticed that instead of the BOGO wine or beer it is now 50% off. Not earth-shattering but still different 😁