The Daily for Monday Apr 26, 2021

richwmn

@dfish, Happy Birthday!  Happy Monday to all others!  Interesting collection of days.  I like Roy's choice--turf, minus the surf (allergies)!  I am amazed at the sodium content in some of the suggested meals for the day!  Sounds good, except for sodium.

I had a laugh at the technology problems.  Friday night when I was trying to print something, I kept getting the message that the printer was busy!  I thought I was in control of the printer's workload.  Finally Saturday morning had to go through a whole new set up.  

Then Saturday night I got a text from my credit card company of a fraudulent charge (at Total Wine, no less.  That store is not even in this area)>. So I had to work with several businesses that I use that particular charge card to have my prescriptions billed, and my dental insurance billed.  Got that all fixed this morning, and now to wait for a new card to arrive.  (It is my Hawaiian miles card, and I was working on the miles for my January return from Oahu.). I NEED to get to San Diego for my return to cruising on the Zuiderdam!

It is overcast and windy, but doubt that it will bring any moisture to our badly parched area.  As it gets closer to fire season, it is getting scary.  There have already been some small fires!

Have a good rest of the day, everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

@Av8rix I was teaching school in Northeast Tacoma on the day of the Nisqually Earthquake. Twenty fourth grade students  and I got under desks and tables and rode out the quake. We then evacuated the building into an open field until the building could be checked out for damage. 

All of the students were fine until parents began showing up hysterically frantic about how their babies were doing, and the calmness disappeared. 

I have no trouble believing that (about the parents). I was a principal in Los Angeles for several years, and while there wasn't a major earthquake during that time, parents would call to ask if school was closed because the weather forecast said that it might rain.

I have the ingredients for today's menu but it's too similar to what I made yesterday! I can take or leave pretzels, mostly leave. No cocktails for me this evening, because I have an online class.

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

DW tells me about from her young childhood while they were camping at Yellowstone National Park (1959; 7.3 on the Richter scale).

That was the well-known Hebgen Lake Earthquake. The shaking triggered a landslide that buried 19 people beneath 73 million metric tons of debris and fatally wounded nine others.  The landslide caused by the quake blocked the flow of the Madison River and the blockage caused the water to rise and formed a new lake, "Quake Lake" a well known site in Yellowstone.  Somewhere in my photos I have photos of the area, we go to YNP every 1-2 years. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Interesting how many of us were teaching at the time of the Nisqually Quake.  I was teaching for the Electronic Commerce Resource Center in Bremerton in a basement classroom with no windows.  It was a pretty good shake and the lights went out.  Four of the students were up from California and I remember one of them saying "If that quake is coming from California that means we can't go home".  When I got home the only damage I had was one broken wine glass.

• Like 11

🌺Aloha everyone!

our neighbor gave us this fish that I stuffed and David barbecued! It is a big boy! I know it is getting late back east

and wanted especially 

🌺🌺my sisters Joy and Ann to know were toasting to them and to my family members here on CC!

Hope my picture gets on here! Having problems with my phone! Fingers crossed 🤞 

image.thumb.jpeg.ab3f4f12f3b6bea84bae0a319bbc3cca.jpeg

garlic, blood oranges, and herbs inside.

🌺🌺

Mahalo and good night 

Denise😊

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sll the information, photos and humour.

@dfishwishing you a very Happy Birthday.

@rafinmdyour ship would have been berthed at Shakespeare Bay, then shuttle bus into Picton.

The morning of the first Christchurch earthquake, we were woken by our cat walking over us, was telling her to go back to sleep when the roaring sound started, then the shaking occurred. She could feel it before us mere humans! Thought the house was going to collapse, but we were lucky to have no damage.

The second Christchurch quake we had just finished lunch, when the lights started swaying,  glassware and china rattled  Again we had no damage, but so many people suffered huge losses.

Take care everyone.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Happy Birthday @dfish.  Thanks for all the recipes.

The 1989 Loma Prieta quake scared me as my folks lived very near the epicenter but I was in Virginia.  My uncle called to say they were all well.

When we lived in England there was a 4.0 earthquake in Lincoln that woke us up.  My DH and I looked at each other and went 'earthquake' and rolled over and went back to sleep.  The next day is was quite the news.

Prayers to those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Gorgeous picture Denise!  It looks like a cooking magazine.  What kind of fish is that?  It looks delicious!

~Nancy

🌺🌺 Thank you Nancy!! I love art painting and maybe the way I display the photo shows that! LOL! My neighbor said it is called Monchong a Hawaiian deep sea fish. It is really good! Used to ONO or OPAKPAKA but this has a nice flavor.

Mahalo

Denise😊

• Like 5

I'm afraid I'm not much attuned to earthquakes.  In 2011 we had a 5.8 quake.  I was in a grocery store and heard people talking about it but never felt anything.  Despite my not feeling a thing there was damage at a number of places including cracks that closed the drive through of my bank for several weeks.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

That was the well-known Hebgen Lake Earthquake. The shaking triggered a landslide that buried 19 people beneath 73 million metric tons of debris and fatally wounded nine others.  The landslide caused by the quake blocked the flow of the Madison River and the blockage caused the water to rise and formed a new lake, "Quake Lake" a well known site in Yellowstone.  Somewhere in my photos I have photos of the area, we go to YNP every 1-2 years. 

My mom, dad, sister and I  had just returned  to Billings  from Yellowstone late in the evening before the quake. I remember being woken up with my bed shaking and running downstairs to my folks room.  It was devastating to read the news the next day😥. Always felt my dad had a premonition that something was wrong as we had planned to stay near the lake that evening but he just wanted to get home.  Several of the Yellowstone geysers were affected by changes in their eruptions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We live near a “new” fault (about a mile away), and have been home for some of the quakes in the 4.+ range. They really get your attention! Many have been a single “bump” where you almost feel lifted up and dropped ( due to the physics.) A friend was at the local Costco ( near the fault) when a 4 hit, and she said things got really dicey in there, but it was over as soon as it started.

For me, the worst was Landers. Our area shook for over a minute as we were far enough away to “ride the waves”. Our electric lines on the highway were hitting and arcing. It intensified after about 20 seconds and you could see everything around moving. DH was on travel to New York, so he heard about it much later.
When the sun rose the next day there was a huge dust cloud and visibility was restricted. Landers, Whittier and Northridge were pretty impressive too.  

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, highland cruiser said:

My mom, dad, sister and I  had just returned  to Billings  from Yellowstone late in the evening before the quake. I remember being woken up with my bed shaking and running downstairs to my folks room.  It was devastating to read the news the next day😥. Always felt my dad had a premonition that something was wrong as we had planned to stay near the lake that evening but he just wanted to get home.  Several of the Yellowstone geysers were affected by changes in their eruptions. 

Yikes!  What a close call!  Whether it was a premonition or not, so glad you left when you did.  So you lived in Billings then?  Years ago we lived in Great Falls for a couple years and were able to get to Yellowstone a few times a year.  Now it's a bit more of a drive 😉 but we still go every 1-2 years, I love that place.  Heading there again next week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Yikes!  What a close call!  Whether it was a premonition or not, so glad you left when you did.  So you lived in Billings then?  Years ago we lived in Great Falls for a couple years and were able to get to Yellowstone a few times a year.  Now it's a bit more of a drive 😉 but we still go every 1-2 years, I love that place.  Heading there again next week. 

Just now, highland cruiser said:
2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes, grew up in Billings and after college got my first teaching job in Oregon where I met my DH and rest is history.  We visited Yellowstone several times every summer.  Have wonderful memories of that place.  Visit anytime we can.  You are going at a great time.  Hopefully the crowds aren't too bad yet.  Travel safe.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

Yes, grew up in Billings and after college got my first teaching job in Oregon where I met my DH and rest is history.  We visited Yellowstone several times every summer.  Have wonderful memories of that place.  Visit anytime we can.  You are going at a great time.  Hopefully the crowds aren't too bad yet.  Travel safe.

Thank you. This is my favorite time of year to go, when all the babies are out. 🙂  We went last September and the crowds weren't bad at all, no tour busses!!  

• Like 2