Carnival..Please do the 8-day Exotic Mexico Itinerary again..Maybe on the Panorama?..We want to go to back to Zihuatanejo!

It's been awhile, but some of you may remember when Carnival had the 8-day Exotic Mexico Itinerary. There were 3 port stops. Acapulco, Manzanillo and Zihuatenejo. A travel vlogger I follow is down in that area of Mexico right now. I couldn't believe it when I saw he is there. 

It got me daydreaming and wondering if Carnival could possibly start sailing the 8-day Exotic Mexico itinerary again..possibly on the Panorama? We are so lacking for itineraries on the west coast. Please, Carnival, Please consider going back further south in Mexico! I think it would just be so amazing to have this as another option again. I'm posting a youtube link below to some of his very recent footage of Zihuatanejo. You can check his channel for more. He was also in Acapulco before he stopped in Zihuatanejo. 

• Like 5

Yes! I'd definitely do this! I hope they expand beyond the ports they frequently use. There are so many ports along the west coast that could be utilized to keep things exciting and adventurous. Panorama is a very large ship but even a smaller one would be great.   

* I have always wanted to visit there after watching Shawshank Redemption lol

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lil2Angelic said:

It's been awhile, but some of you may remember when Carnival had the 8-day Exotic Mexico Itinerary. There were 3 port stops. Acapulco, Manzanillo and Zihuatenejo. A travel vlogger I follow is down in that area of Mexico right now. I couldn't believe it when I saw he is there. 

It got me daydreaming and wondering if Carnival could possibly start sailing the 8-day Exotic Mexico itinerary again..possibly on the Panorama? We are so lacking for itineraries on the west coast. Please, Carnival, Please consider going back further south in Mexico! I think it would just be so amazing to have this as another option again. I'm posting a youtube link below to some of his very recent footage of Zihuatanejo. You can check his channel for more. He was also in Acapulco before he stopped in Zihuatanejo. 

Acapulco might not be on Carnivals list of destinations. There has been safety warnings for a long while advising you to not go there.  Visited Acapulco many years ago, had a wonderful time but what I saw made me to wonder. There were military vehicles with 6 to 8 troops in the back  driving all over the city and armed guards at entrances to buildings and gas stations. I feel for you guys that your short on cruise ports.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Acapulco might not be on Carnivals list of destinations. There has been safety warnings for a long while advising you to not go there.  Visited Acapulco many years ago, had a wonderful time but what I saw made me to wonder. There were military vehicles with 6 to 8 troops in the back  driving all over the city and armed guards at entrances to buildings and gas stations. I feel for you guys that your short on cruise ports.

It's on the "do not travel list". Maybe it's an insurance thing? Jalisco and Nayarit are on the "reconsider travel" list and they have major tourists zones. Acapulco is probably just as safe as others in as long as you stick to tourist zones. They aren't looking to kill/harm tourists, rip you off and over charge you? Absolutely! Kill and harm? Nah. It's mostly turf and cartel beef and they don't like attention. Especially, negative US tourist attention. Ensanada has those same guys in trucks with machine guns all over also. I like it actually. Makes me feel safer and that there is a response near by if something were to happen. Plus the lines, and in turn passengers, could probably land a great port fee/tax rate! 😁

• Like 1

Have not been to Zihuatenejo on a ship but have spent time there arriving on an airplane. Fantastic place and very safe. Look forward to going back again. As in all of Mexico, and the world, you might see soldiers around.

• Like 2

Guerrero state (which includes Ixtapa,  Zihuatanejo and Acapulco)  is a level 4 do not travel advisory.   US government employees have all kinds of restrictions in place on their movements.   Its all on the state department website.  That's why the ships no longer port there.  The State Department uses statistical analysis to issue these warnings,  not conjecture or how it feels there. 

Edited by joeyancho
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

It was announced 2 days ago Panorama will be sailing 8 day cruises to Mexico but the added port will be La Paz on the Sea of Cortez plus the usual ports of Cabo, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta. It's a start.

I did see that. I think that's what also got me thinking about Carnival mixing things up a bit and giving the west coast more options.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Have not been to Zihuatenejo on a ship but have spent time there arriving on an airplane. Fantastic place and very safe. Look forward to going back again. As in all of Mexico, and the world, you might see soldiers around.

What airport did you fly into to get to Zihuatanejo?

8 hours ago, joeyancho said:

The State Department uses statistical analysis to issue these warnings,  not conjecture or how it feels there. 

Meh, we should have plenty of level 4 advisories here in America as well lol. I think it's safe in the tourist zones as long as you stay off highways and such. Plus they use a large geographic area and the whole area is branded as bad. That skews data analysis.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/66/

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

It was announced 2 days ago Panorama will be sailing 8 day cruises to Mexico but the added port will be La Paz on the Sea of Cortez plus the usual ports of Cabo, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta. It's a start.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Meh, we should have plenty of level 4 advisories here in America as well lol. I think it's safe in the tourist zones as long as you stay off highways and such. Plus they use a large geographic area and the whole area is branded as bad. That skews data analysis.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/66/

Eh, I'm a rather adventurous traveler, but a level 4 advisory (outside of the covid ones) is enough for me to not go somewhere. The tourist area may feel safe enough the last time you were there, but when crime is high enough that the state department to issue a do not travel advisory, I wouldn't go there. It specifically says

"Do not travel due to crime.

Crime and violence are widespread. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers.

Travel for U.S. government employees is limited to the following area with noted restrictions:

Taxco:  U.S. government employees must utilize Federal Toll Highway (cuota) 95D that passes through Cuernavaca, Morelos, and stay within downtown tourist areas. Employees may visit Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park during the day with a licensed tour operator. 

U.S. government employees may not travel to other areas of the state of Guerrero, including Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Ixtapa."

If US government employees aren't allowed to go somewhere, I trust that enough to take that advise for myself.

Loved Zihaut

did it multiple times on the Spirit besides on RCL

Acapulco, Manzanillo and Zihautanejo was a great itinerary out San Diego 

Ships are starting to go back to Manzainilo but will be awhile before the other 2 ports

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

I am booked on that cruise. I have never been to La Paz! It is in 2024

Edited by DANCING GRANDMOMMY
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Eh, I'm a rather adventurous traveler, but a level 4 advisory (outside of the covid ones) is enough for me to not go somewhere. The tourist area may feel safe enough the last time you were there, but when crime is high enough that the state department to issue a do not travel advisory, I wouldn't go there. It specifically says

"Do not travel due to crime.

Crime and violence are widespread. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers.

Travel for U.S. government employees is limited to the following area with noted restrictions:

Taxco:  U.S. government employees must utilize Federal Toll Highway (cuota) 95D that passes through Cuernavaca, Morelos, and stay within downtown tourist areas. Employees may visit Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park during the day with a licensed tour operator. 

U.S. government employees may not travel to other areas of the state of Guerrero, including Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Ixtapa."

If US government employees aren't allowed to go somewhere, I trust that enough to take that advise for myself.

I was not aware of this information. Thank you, I appreciate it. 

13 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I am booked on that cruise. I have never been to La Paz! It is in 2024

It's a quiet port with beaches, shops and some cantinas with outdoor seating. When we were there with Carnival 10 years ago we rode motor coaches to and from the shop to town. There was no charge to Carnival guests for the shuttle service. There were multiple times for departures and returns.

• Like 2

While the wife and I love the seven and eight day cruises, we always loved the 3 and 4 day cruises as we could do those almost monthly since they fit so nicely into our schedule and finding dog sitters was easier.

Miracle looks to be in Long Beach now but I think the other was supposed to be the Radiance and it's in Spain currently. 

Really want those short itineraries out of LBC back in a bad way.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 9:31 PM, sanmarcosman said:

I got this on hold as the time works well for us but they are charging a pretty penny extra for this particular cruise. About $1300-$1500 more than the regular 7 day cruises for the two cabins. Seems a bit excessive for one extra day/port. Is there something else special about this cruise?   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Is there something else special about this cruise?   

Not that I can see. For a P/T cabin it would be $500 more for us. Not worth it. We have a P/T cabin 8 day in the Caribbean booked for $539 each going to Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk.