What is Your Favorite Desserts you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

What cheeses?  You mean here at home?......I love all kinds of cheese.......from a flavorful goat cheese to a smoked gouda........brie is excellent with some apricots.........any type of cracker that you like......a water cracker is good.......I love whole wheat.  A camembert is a lovely soft cheese......I also love Havarti. It is mellow...cut it up and goes great on a cracker.

Have to investigate cheese next time on board. We will have 14 days so I have plenty of time to try.

I never asked the names since it is only id'ed as Selection of British and International Cheese Board.

I too like Goat & Smoke Gouda to name a few... We use a basic simple cracker to use.

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

What cheeses?  You mean here at home?......I love all kinds of cheese.......from a flavorful goat cheese to a smoked gouda........brie is excellent with some apricots.........any type of cracker that you like......a water cracker is good.......I love whole wheat.  A camembert is a lovely soft cheese......I also love Havarti. It is mellow...cut it up and goes great on a cracker.

A good cheese board can have a selection of maybe 5 cheeses that covers a lot of bases.

Creamy cheese (like Brie) medium cheese, hard cheese, cows milk, sheeps milk, goat cheese, a blue or veined cheese, different countries, different colors, smoky, different ages.  I just crave savory items like potato chips or cheese as a snack instead of sweets.

1 hour ago, seamus69 said:

A good cheese board can have a selection of maybe 5 cheeses that covers a lot of bases.

Creamy cheese (like Brie) medium cheese, hard cheese, cows milk, sheeps milk, goat cheese, a blue or veined cheese, different countries, different colors, smoky, different ages.  I just crave savory items like potato chips or cheese as a snack instead of sweets.

I agree, a good cheese board is heavenly.......I was responding to rkacruiser's question asking about what cheese is good.........you just gave more detail😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I agree, a good cheese board is heavenly.......I was responding to rkacruiser's question asking about what cheese is good.........you just gave more detail😃

You people are definitely making my mouth water........ I must now remember to try the Cheese Board on the next sailing. We have Farmers Market once a week in Brooklyn with farms coming down to sell their wares and always like to stop by their stand. Some sweet, tart, creamy and stinky cheeses are available.

https://www.catocornerfarm.com/ from our neighboring state Connecticut. 

I know on the ship they offer crackers (? types) and fruit from what I saw in the past.

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

7 hours ago, seamus69 said:

Thanks to both of you for some interesting suggestions.  I appreciate it.  

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks to both of you for some interesting suggestions.  I appreciate it.  

Happy to help🙂.....if you have ever traveled to Europe, it is something very well known there......

to have a savory end to the meal. I mean they have some wonderful pastries (depending on where you are going) but having a cheese course at the end is quite common in Europe.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Happy to help🙂.....if you have ever traveled to Europe, it is something very well known there......

to have a savory end to the meal. I mean they have some wonderful pastries (depending on where you are going) but having a cheese course at the end is quite common in Europe.

they also often have a savory salad course after the entree

4 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

True.......speaking of that....remember in "Pretty Woman"........she asked, where is the salad?😃

He answered, it comes at the end........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

.if you have ever traveled to Europe, it is something very well known there......

Yes, I have traveled to Europe and do recall seeing a cheese course offered, but it never appealed to me.  

I had a tablemate on a fairly recent cruise who regularly ordered a cheese plate.  He enjoyed it and I did try it one evening.  I simply preferred one of the other dessert options available.  

28 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

I have heard of that course; never tried it.  How does one have sufficient room in one's tummy for such a course?  

Just realized that the future trip coming up will have a Cheese Board of Local Cheeses.

So I may get a chance to try out the experience of a Cheese Board....

To Be Continued.....

• Like 1

Another dessert that I only have found during a cruise is Trifle.  Different Chefs make it differently, but I always order it when it is on the dessert menu.  Have not yet enjoyed whatever variation is served to me.  

• 2 weeks later...

The real problem I have is I love so many things...sweet and savory but I have to continually remind myself I have to watch my sugar intake😲......and after being home all these months.......I have a cruise coming up next month.  I am going to have be disciplined on how much of any sweet stuff I try.

19 minutes ago, Lois R said:

The real problem I have is I love so many things...sweet and savory but I have to continually remind myself I have to watch my sugar intake😲......and after being home all these months.......I have a cruise coming up next month.  I am going to have be disciplined on how much of any sweet stuff I try.

We all do a bell curve on sailings with desserts and other foods.

I personally  enjoy the beginning of a sailing and hit a low in the middle and then know the end is near and won't have the items at home. It does work with moderation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 8:49 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We all do a bell curve on sailings with desserts and other foods.

I personally  enjoy the beginning of a sailing and hit a low in the middle and then know the end is near and won't have the items at home. It does work with moderation.

Funny thing is…I don’t go big for desserts at sea.  I find that most offerings are mediocre.  I do enjoy a flan, ice cream and creme brûlée.  It’s hard to go wrong with those.  The gelotti and chocolate venues on MSC are changing my opinion.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Just thought of another dessert that I enjoy on a cruise that I never see on a dessert menu in a land-based restaurant:  Peach Melba.  So good!  

15 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Funny thing is…I don’t go big for desserts at sea.  I find that most offerings are mediocre.  I do enjoy a flan, ice cream and creme brûlée.  It’s hard to go wrong with those.  The gelotti and chocolate venues on MSC are changing my opinion.  

One dessert we like very much is what we also get in the Grand Tier Restaurant in the Met called Opera Cake. A very like yellow cake, a mild espresso filling and like chocolate icing. It's topped with a standing Chocolate Music Staff crafted out of chocolate.

17 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

One dessert we like very much is what we also get in the Grand Tier Restaurant in the Met called Opera Cake. A very like yellow cake, a mild espresso filling and like chocolate icing. It's topped with a standing Chocolate Music Staff crafted out of chocolate.

Opera Cake is wonderful if made properly and therein lies the rub.  Very seldom is it made with all the necessary layers and fillings.  Opera Cake, in baking, is one of the most difficult cakes to make.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Opera Cake is wonderful if made properly and therein lies the rub.  

On a  ship, I have had Opera Cake numerous times.  I thought they were tasty.  Were they the best possible?  No idea.  Maybe the satisfaction is in the taste of the diner?  

Went away this week and had a selection of desserts that were being offered for the entire dinner time.

• Crunch Cake (composed of chocolate, toffee, etc....
  • Textures of Raspberry (composed of different chiffon puddings
  • Lemon Cheesecake w Meyer Lemons (BEST)
  • Strawberry and Cream (fresh field strawberries and farm Whipped Cream
  • Entremet ( like a very, very, very chocolate mississippi mud cake or decadent 
  • Composed Cheese Plate (Local Hudson Valley farm cheese w fruit & brioche toast
  • Nightly Warm Dessert offering (ex. Warm Bread Pudding, Banana Bread, Creme Brulee 
  • Selection of Ice Cream or Sorbets

Interesting and tried it and liked it a lot..........Basil Ice Cream....yes.....Basil Ice Cream.....

Very hard to select a choice after a full meal.....

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Went away this week and had a selection of desserts that were being offered for the entire dinner time.

• Crunch Cake (composed of chocolate, toffee, etc....
  • Textures of Raspberry (composed of different chiffon puddings
  • Lemon Cheesecake w Meyer Lemons (BEST)
  • Strawberry and Cream (fresh field strawberries and farm Whipped Cream
  • Entremet ( like a very, very, very chocolate mississippi mud cake or decadent 
  • Composed Cheese Plate (Local Hudson Valley farm cheese w fruit & brioche toast
  • Nightly Warm Dessert offering (ex. Warm Bread Pudding, Banana Bread, Creme Brulee 
  • Selection of Ice Cream or Sorbets

Interesting and tried it and liked it a lot..........Basil Ice Cream....yes.....Basil Ice Cream.....

Very hard to select a choice after a full meal.....

The Lemon Cheesecake and the Composed Cheese Plate stand out for me.

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The Lemon Cheesecake and the Composed Cheese Plate stand out for me.

Saw the Cheese Plate on another table but had a large meal so Cheesecake was lite....