NCL Jade Obstructed Ocean View advice

Notts1964

Hi

I have searched for recommendations on the obstructed ocean view cabins on deck 8,  but I’m struggling to sort out the information. I believe some windows have now been completely obscured.

Obviously not all the cabins will be available, and I will avoid the ones over the lounge/nightclub. Any advice on best obstructed view cabins for location and view would be very much appreciated

Hi Notts, Our first NCL cruise was on the Gem in 2009. We were on deck 8 in an inside but we had occasion to peak into the obstructed OV cabins across the corridor from us. We have since sailed on sister ships Jade and Pearl and we really like this class of ship.

I am sure you are aware that the obstruction is the life boat that will be directly outside your window. I am at a loss to understand what you mean by "I believe some windows have been completely obscured". I am ignorant of any changes in this regard.

My suggestion is to try to book one of the sideways cabins near the midship stairwell. I believe they are numbered 8090,8092,8094, 8590,8592,8594. The nice thing about these cabins is that you will have two windows instead of just one providing more light and possibly more view angled between lifeboats. This is also a very convenient location, close to stairs and elevators midship.

We were on the Jade in cabin 8086 which had two windows and was situated between life boats so it wasn’t totally obstructed. It was a great cabin!

B1E200A0-86A6-47D8-8A5A-ED96A84D6537.jpeg

Edited by Boxersma
  • Like 1

As a general rule, we prefer port side for obstructed oceanviews on the Dawn/Jewel/Gem class ships (haven't been on the Pearl) if booking one - there is one sideway cabin toward the front of the ship, which seemed to be above the Bliss Lounge (although, music & party usually quiet down after 11 pm or midnight, not an issue unless you go to sleep early ...) 

Otherwise, I recommend 8566/8066, 8568/8068 and the cluster like 8574/8576/8578 or 8074/8076/8078 as those are in the middle of that quiet corridor, with inside cabins across the hallway - don't worry about the "big" white space, those are storage/hotel & housekeeping service closets where items are kept by the room stewards.  

If noise is a concern, I would avoid the last 3 sideway cabins nearest to the midship elevators, as noises from O'Sheehans (whatever it's being called these days) and the Atrium lobby below will bounce & "travel" up and you will possibly hear that ... again, typically till 11 pm to no later than midnight (the final evening prior to disembarkation the next morning is often a bit "busy")  

Starboard side is best for people watching during embarkation, port stops & tendering (for late-returning pier runners) whereas, for tender ports on some itineraries, some of the ship's own lifeboats are lowered & launched for use, including crew-only safety drills & exercises (not always) - and for those few lucky hours, you get a fully unobstructed oceanview toward the horizon.  

Lastly, the first 2 or 3 pairs of obstructed OV in the front (assuming that they aren't shaded/tinted out) will be less obstructed on the upper window, as it is where the smaller, fast rescue boats are situated vs. the "regular" & larger lifeboats.  

One B-I-G distraction with the OBV cabins is when deploying the life boats

IS THE NOISE

This happens at ports where the life boats are used as tenders

The boats are hoisted out and away from their concealed davits

and lower to the ocean surface - a whole lot of groaning creaking

a symphony of kaledioscope of musical machinery needing oiling.

AND then too when hoisting them back into place.

The crew when deploying the boats can look into the OBV cabins

and guests on the Promenade deck 7 can look up into the cabins

with the life boats now removed.

Other than that dealing with the passageway maze forward and aft

of O'Sheehans deck 8 midship it is just a cabin with a degree of 

more daylight than an Inside cabin.

We had cabin 8594 on the Jade for a British Island Cruise. It was our first cruise in a outside inside cabin. We always get a balcony. I loved the cabin! It was close to everything! The obstruction wasn't that bad and we had a view of the gangway. It depends on where you're cruising to, also, but as far as location it was the best! Go to youtube  and you could get a good idea.

8 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

Hi Notts, Our first NCL cruise was on the Gem in 2009. We were on deck 8 in an inside but we had occasion to peak into the obstructed OV cabins across the corridor from us. We have since sailed on sister ships Jade and Pearl and we really like this class of ship.

I am sure you are aware that the obstruction is the life boat that will be directly outside your window. I am at a loss to understand what you mean by "I believe some windows have been completely obscured". I am ignorant of any changes in this regard.

My suggestion is to try to book one of the sideways cabins near the midship stairwell. I believe they are numbered 8090,8092,8094, 8590,8592,8594. The nice thing about these cabins is that you will have two windows instead of just one providing more light and possibly more view angled between lifeboats. This is also a very convenient location, close to stairs and elevators midship.

Thank you for your great advice.

I read somewhere that someone’s cabin had something coated over the glass so they couldn’t see out of the glass at all, but I can’t find the comment now, and can’t remember the cabin number. I was flicking around haphazardly at the time, unfortunately.

We were on the Gem in sideways cabin 8566.  The room felt so much bigger because the window was on the side of the bed instead of in the back.  When we first got on there was no lifeboat by the window and we were elated.  But sometime during the cruise they put a lifeboat in that space.  It still wasn't so bad because we were still able to look through the lifeboat's opening into the water.

We have sailed the Jade twice. First time in 2009 on a 21 day B2B in port side obstructed view cabin 8064.  Loved that cabin and we had a decent view from a place on the right side of window. I remember being able to see the ports each day if we were facing them and we were port in more than half the time.The view of Malta was particularly memorable. We had always sailed in inside cabins on previous sailings so this was a real treat for us. 

In November 2019 we sailed the Jade again. That time, our last cruise until - hopefully - this November, in a 9th floor balcony cabin, again a 21 day sailing.  Love the Jade!

Edited by lambs2

We've had deck 8 obstructed view staterooms on several cruises on the Jade and the Star.  The location is our favorite, mid-ship, quick to get to O'Sheehans for breakfast or a drink.  If a balcony is out of our price range on a particular sailing, we'd nearly always chose this location.  For us the window is more about natural light than about sitting and looking out and these staterooms tic that box for us. 

Several years ago we had cabin 8060 on the Jade. We loved the location but would not book that cabin again. The only way you could see over the lifeboat was by standing on the bed and could then only see a glimpse of the sea.

On 5/6/2021 at 8:50 PM, Notts1964 said:

Hi

I have searched for recommendations on the obstructed ocean view cabins on deck 8,  but I’m struggling to sort out the information. I believe some windows have now been completely obscured.

Obviously not all the cabins will be available, and I will avoid the ones over the lounge/nightclub. Any advice on best obstructed view cabins for location and view would be very much appreciated

My personal experience (at least for the Jade) is that the location of the various obstructed ocean view cabins on deck 8 is very similar to what you can see on the deck plan regarding lifeboats and where the various cabins are situated. 3 times on the Jade we have had one of the obstructed OV type cabins on deck 8, and before contacting my PCC to make a reservation, I just do a "mock" booking to see which OV cabins that are available to choose from. I then chose on all three occasions a cabin (different cabin number each time) that seemed to be situated more or less "between" two lifeboats instead of "behind" one, and that has turned out to be the case on board as well. Not as obstructed view as many of the other OV cabins on the Jade.

image.png.83fb4fca4cb4bd972b68b13ea94871fa.png

Edited by TrumpyNor

I sailed in 8066 on Jewel once (Jade's sister.)  The sideways cabins do feel roomier with the bed against the wall rather than under the window.  Be aware that you can awaken from a nice afternoon nap & be startled by a worker doing maintenance on the lifeboat right outside your window 😲

I believe at one point either the Jewel or the Pearl had a coating applied to the windows of the obstructed view rooms that made them look frosted, but it was only the one ship and never extended to the others in the fleet.  I do not know if the coating was later removed or not.

We have been in 8094 twice - on the Jade and again on the Jewel. We loved that cabin - so handy and convenient for us Oldies! No noise whatsoever. Yes it's close to O'Sheehan/The Local but the bar is further away from the entrance.

We were in 8094 for 19 days on the Singapore-Sydney cruise and we didn't miss the balcony at all. We were able to see the water and sky though - they told us what kind of weather ... go to the pool deck or not. 

Photos of 8094 on the Jewel. Post-2018-dry-dock. First ones upon embarkation and latter ones during the cruise. Separating the beds sure gave us space!

DSC08652.JPG

DSC08653.JPG

DSC08655.JPG

DSC08656.JPG

DSC08657.JPG

DSC08658.JPG

DSC08659.JPG

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

We're fans of this kind of cabin (sideways close to elevators on deck 8 on the Jewel class ships - will book again. For longer cruises with many sea days (like TAs) we go for balcony or mini-suites.

Ocean view cabins are the way to go when you're on budget and/or the itinerary is a port intensive one.

Edited by bluesea777

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2021 at 7:56 PM, Boxersma said:

We were on the Jade in cabin 8086 which had two windows and was situated between life boats so it wasn’t totally obstructed. It was a great cabin!

B1E200A0-86A6-47D8-8A5A-ED96A84D6537.jpeg

I am actually in this very cabin in May, do you have any other pictures of the room?