Book your excursions NOW!

Windsailer

A BALANCE

On one hand, the  CDC relaxes their rules about requiring company only excursions and outings, despite their geographical authority to do so. This rule is implemented by Windstar and other cruise lines.
On the other hand, Windstar and others enthusiastically adopt the CDC guidelines in support of requiring what is probably their second largest on board profit generator after liquor sales.

What do you do? You realize that passengers are unhappy about the excursion limitations but you are running a business and   you must calculate how many bookings will you potentially loose if you continue to limit excursions in the name of “passenger safety” as opposed to relaxing those limitations in accordance with the CDC guidelines?

A dilemma for Windstar and others

22 minutes ago, Barrycat said:

What do you do?

The only logical way to proceed is what @Windsailer said in the title of this thread:  book a Windstar excursion in every port now, and then cancel if it becomes clear that you can DIY.  As you note, Windstar is looking out for their interest – it's on us to look out for ours.

Frankly, I am very concerned about only being able to leave the ship on WS excursions. I utterly believe in vaccinations, for being a tolerant, liberal  person, with the exception of medical reasons, I have no tolerance for people who choose not to be vaccinated. That being  said, I applaud that WS is requiring passengers and staff to be vaccinated. I also question the excursion policy. Those who can afford the private van excursions you can not tell me that if a person wanted to stop at a market, or a top tourist attraction, eat inside restaurant that that would not happen.So much for the bubble,   a vaccinated person is protected. Any popular tourist attraction will have people, in a bus people will not be 3 meters apart, a trip up a cable car will not be distanced, drop people off at a beach people will walk the beach, perhaps go to a bar etc. I do not for the life of me see where these excursions are any less dangerous for people hiring their own guide and driver do the math less people than on a bus... or for those that want to wander outside, ride a bike, rent their own car. I have been unable to determine if ports in different countries require the excursion policy and I wonder which other cruise lines comparable to WS are requiring this. What about River Cruises? 

Recently in the Boston Globe a question was asked to top doctors in the city now that they are vaccinated what would they do: fly yes some would take longer fights than others, socialize with other vaccinated family and friends yes, travel yes, however almost 100% said a this point they would not dine  inside. Interesting and then based on 3 new studies the CDC came out this  week that vaccinated people are safe to be on their own excursions when cruising. This virus has been a learning process constantly evolving  and I hope WS evolves with their decisions as well. I have two cruises ahead 9/28 Rome Malta Sicily I am vaccinated but will cancel if we can not do our own excursions simply because this trip was planned to be an art history and food discovery and I am returning to these places for deeper discovery than the excursions offer. Our trip on the Surf 12/18 is a vacation trip: sun, swim, beach. If the excursion rule remains I will still go annoyed but will get over it, that to get to Jost's White Bay, Gertrude's, will cost us $41 pp ( my discount normal price $49) when I know that the canopy   truck taxis ( outside riding ) are $ 10, RTPP, and Gertrude provides you with a chair and umbrella if you have a drink and/or eat and their conk fritters which are magnificent I might add. I will treat myself to go on the  Anegada  excursion. WS has never been a one for all experience I hope it goes back to recognizing people's individual differences, letting people choose what they want to see and do. The Sicily trip is making me nuts this is the 3rd year I have tried to go, once canceled my fault a bad decision on my part, last year obviously, this year my fingers are tightly crossed. Happy Safe Sailing to All.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, milepig said:

Just a reminder that the CDC has no authority over WS in either direction except when they operate in the US. They are not a US carrier. 

I know that. It looks like Windstar will not be using San Juan this winter for Caribbean cruises, everything is from St. Martin or Barbados. This puts WS out of CDC authority which is why it is baffling that they are using CDC rules to run their cruises. I had considered a Caribbean cruise with them in Dec. or Jan. but booked with Oceania due to WS requiring ship excursions only, not being allowed to go ashore on your own. Also Windstar is still requiring masks outdoors even though the CDC eased up on that requirement for cruises. Maybe because they are being so strict is why their summer cruises aren't selling very well and are being discounted.

5 hours ago, Strenz said:

Frankly, I am very concerned about only being able to leave the ship on WS excursions. I utterly believe in vaccinations, for being a tolerant, liberal  person, with the exception of medical reasons, I have no tolerance for people who choose not to be vaccinated. That being  said, I applaud that WS is requiring passengers and staff to be vaccinated. I also question the excursion policy. Those who can afford the private van excursions you can not tell me that if a person wanted to stop at a market, or a top tourist attraction, eat inside restaurant that that would not happen.So much for the bubble,   a vaccinated person is protected. Any popular tourist attraction will have people, in a bus people will not be 3 meters apart, a trip up a cable car will not be distanced, drop people off at a beach people will walk the beach, perhaps go to a bar etc. I do not for the life of me see where these excursions are any less dangerous for people hiring their own guide and driver do the math less people than on a bus... or for those that want to wander outside, ride a bike, rent their own car. I have been unable to determine if ports in different countries require the excursion policy and I wonder which other cruise lines comparable to WS are requiring this. What about River Cruises? 

Recently in the Boston Globe a question was asked to top doctors in the city now that they are vaccinated what would they do: fly yes some would take longer fights than others, socialize with other vaccinated family and friends yes, travel yes, however almost 100% said a this point they would not dine  inside. Interesting and then based on 3 new studies the CDC came out this  week that vaccinated people are safe to be on their own excursions when cruising. This virus has been a learning process constantly evolving  and I hope WS evolves with their decisions as well. I have two cruises ahead 9/28 Rome Malta Sicily I am vaccinated but will cancel if we can not do our own excursions simply because this trip was planned to be an art history and food discovery and I am returning to these places for deeper discovery than the excursions offer. Our trip on the Surf 12/18 is a vacation trip: sun, swim, beach. If the excursion rule remains I will still go annoyed but will get over it, that to get to Jost's White Bay, Gertrude's, will cost us $41 pp ( my discount normal price $49) when I know that the canopy   truck taxis ( outside riding ) are $ 10, RTPP, and Gertrude provides you with a chair and umbrella if you have a drink and/or eat and their conk fritters which are magnificent I might add. I will treat myself to go on the  Anegada  excursion. WS has never been a one for all experience I hope it goes back to recognizing people's individual differences, letting people choose what they want to see and do. The Sicily trip is making me nuts this is the 3rd year I have tried to go, once canceled my fault a bad decision on my part, last year obviously, this year my fingers are tightly crossed. Happy Safe Sailing to All.

The White Bay Trip to Gertrude's is $79.00 pp this summer so you are getting a deal. And yes, it's about $10 to get there on my own, but I am at the mercy of WS thus far. It's a $160 trip to the beach, UGH. I doubt they will give up this revenue stream because my excursions cost almost as much as my cruise fare. Cheap initial fare, I think entry cabin is $1600 pp. But, add the "all in" package $600+ pp and excursions and it gets up there. Will not stress one bit once we are there but it's a bit dicey wondering how it will all play out. Wish I would know before final payment but doubt it will happen.

Edited by FLbeachbaby

Dear FLbeachbaby, $ 79 is beyond the pale to go to Gertrude's, White Bay Jost, CC warned us about price increases, and I jumped at it for Dec. I have been in love with WS Cruises since 1999, 212 days,  I always thought,  given the differences in people who travel  with WS that  they were very tolerent of those differences as far as excursions go and that one size did not fit all. I guess since they have been shut for so long that that a revenue stream was more important than getting their passengers to return. Sad to think that this is not a health decision. I need to find out myself if these countries require cruise passengers to take excursions solely with the cruise itself instead of letting passengers hire their own local  guides or use local taxis  etc. As I stated for my vacation I do not love it but it is not a deal breaker, Europe it is a whole different story and I could not go. I could not imagine knowing there is an incredible open air food  market in Catania, which there is, and not going, or an amazing art museum in Siracusa, which there is,  and not being able to see the Caravaggio. I wish you a great time. I hope as we progress  and the more we learn about this virus things will get freed up. 

Very Happy Sailing to you. 

My problem is that I'm sitting on a ton of onboard credit that I'm planning to use for excursions, as I have no other use for those $$ other than to buy stuff in the shop that we don't need.

I am in the same boat. Literally! I am booked on the July 3rd sailing on the Star Breeze out of St Maarten. I haven't booked an excursion yet waiting for Windstar to adjust their policy to the CDC latest guidance.

What do I do?

1 hour ago, sail2day said:

I am in the same boat. Literally! I am booked on the July 3rd sailing on the Star Breeze out of St Maarten. I haven't booked an excursion yet waiting for Windstar to adjust their policy to the CDC latest guidance.

What do I do?

I was just sent this when I asked about the possibility of a change in the shore excursion policy. Dated September 2020 so they are not interested in updating anything so not holding my breath for any changes.

Healthy-Sail-PanelFull-Recommendations92

26 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Taking advantage of insisting that guests need to take ship excursion to get off...and then jacking up the cost of the excursions.   That doesn’t sound like the Windstar that I have enjoyed on past cruises.   

Agreed.  But in all fairness, the price of the itins have long risen the closer you get to sailing, and then even more when booked on board. 

My husband and I have had to rebook with them (now on the 5th rebooking.) I have tried talking to the assistant to the President and she gave me lip service and kept calling me "Ms. Amy", very condescending in my opinion.

I have asked and told them we are a captive audience and they can rip off their passengers with "mandatory" shore excursions. If more of us complained to them, it might help. It's a scheme for them to make more money in what they lost during lockdown.

I have emailed the assistant again asking if they are going to change their policies, no reply as of yet. Hopefully will hear from them soon. Thanks! 

On 5/17/2021 at 10:34 AM, milepig said:

My problem is that I'm sitting on a ton of onboard credit that I'm planning to use for excursions, as I have no other use for those $$ other than to buy stuff in the shop that we don't need.

Last time I had that issue, I bought stuff in the gift shops, and had "extra clothing" for various activities.   Some of it has lasted a long time.   Either way you are buying "over priced" things.

We have a credit with windstar, but we will likely let it expire.  I expect rules to change multiple times and do not want to get caught with rules, I do not like.   I am currently going through my airline credits, and have a plan to get them spent down by the end of the year.

17 hours ago, Redtravel said:

That doesn’t sound like the Windstar that I have enjoyed on past cruises.   

You are  right.  It could be many  things.  It could be they are having a hard time finding tour operators.  Windstar might be having a hard time finding more tour operators (because more people will be one tours). Tour operators, might be asking for more money to compensate them for the extra protocols they have to follow based on local gov't rules or windstar rules.   For example social distancing costs more.

I think it is a fair question to ask windstar,   why have the price jumped up?

• Like 1

I expect the excursion mandate to vary amongst islands based on their most current active cases and rate of vaccination. One island on a trip may be more open than others. Today's information will not be valid in two months. One island may have a hot spot; another island will have just concluded a successful vaccination drive.

I think you should start the trip with having made peace with the mandated excursions. Then if the local options are acceptable to both the cruise line and the local governments, you give thanks. Lots of risk assessments are being run, not for fun but for the greater public health. Tiny islands have tiny hospitals and they cannot manage a surge in cases.

• Like 3

I would like to pose a question to all of you:

How bereft would you be if Windstar went out of business?

I realize that Windstar is owned by a giant company that can probably withstand the hemorrhaging of money that has occurred during this pandemic. On the other hand, they might want to cut their losses and shut Windstar down. Who knows?  If this were to happen, how much money, in retrospect,  would you have been willing to chip in to prevent this from happening? $1,000? $2,000? More?  

Maybe you all should think about this rise in prices as your little contribution to keeping Windstar afloat during an unprecedented financial apocalypse,

• Like 2

I agree with Avalong. Rather than see Windstar as trying to rip people off see it as trying to survive while sailing at reduced capacity. We don't know what things will be like in 2 or 4 or 6 months but I think Windstar is tiring to do their best given the uncertainty of the situation and the constantly changing regulations.

• Like 3

Recommendation 59: During the initial return to sailing, cruise operators should only allow guests debarking from a ship at a destination port to participate in cruise line-sponsored or verified excursions as a way of limiting potential exposures in the destinations they visit.

Given that cruise operators will not be able to fully control the SARS-CoV-2 mitigation efforts (e.g., sanitation, social distancing) of every venue at the destinations of interest, the Panel recommends that in the startup phase, guests should only be permitted to disembark at ports if they are taking cruise line- sponsored excursions where such efforts would be subject to vendor management considerations described below. Cruise operators should consider employing strategies that would make these cruise line-sponsored excursions more appealing to guests (e.g., potentially reconsidering the cost of curated experiences, offering a wider variety of excursions to private beach locations) than self-exploration or other externally sponsored excursions. As noted above, guests should be well informed about this new requirement at the time of booking and again prior to sailing.

An additional key component of maintaining the safety of guests is communicating with guests about the need to remain diligent in their efforts to maintain health and safety for the cruise ship population as they embark on their excursions.

Shore excursion pricing is the not the issue for me. It is a revenue stream and a pretty good one. Revenue is not the intent of the shore excursion policy. They can raise the cruise fare, charge me for coffee, raise the tip fees, whatever they need to keep floating. And I can decide if it's worth it. But let's be honest, my expensive $160 trip to the beach bar is no safer than if I got there for the usual $10 ride or hiked on over.

I can certainly choose not to go, but I am accepting this provision. While onboard, I will decide if any of this matters at all. It will either leave a bad impression and I will happily resume cruising on various other ships I have come to enjoy, or I will be so entranced with my chosen ship excursions that I wondered why I stressed about it. I'm sincerely hoping to be entranced.

Soon enough we will be getting some real information from actual cruisers, Yay !

7 hours ago, avalong said:

Maybe you all should think about this rise in prices as your little contribution to keeping Windstar afloat during an unprecedented financial apocalypse,

Nicely said. Bravo!

• Thanks 1

I think we are all in a wait and see, wait  and see what the port countries require, I can not find that on line. The CDC said recently from the results of three recent studies completed that passengers should be able to go on  their own excursions, will excursions have less people, will the ships carry less people????   Also wait and see when it all opens up if there are upticks in the virus or do ships remain a breeding ground, hopefully the vaccinated will prevent that. For those of us who yearn for Europe opening the way they are opening, in Italy's case only  13% are fully vaccinated for me that is a huge wait and see.  I fully understand the revenue need but I think $79 to go to White Beach, Gertrude's, is beyond the pale. There is a  line between seriously over charging and the convenience price of an excursion. With my Alumni discount we are paying for  the Surf's Christmas cruise $41pp to go to White Beach. After the the advice on  CC I booked  all the beach excursions for that cruise. For  our 9/29, the Med. not sure I am going. Different type of  trip the excursions simply are not what I want, as I stated before on this forum.  Europe for me is an intellectual pursuit of my passions and the Surf is the greatest  way to get around and do that for us, plus this cruise is in my beloved Italy and that right now is sadly a  wait and see due to their vaccine rate. 

Times they are a changing, we are all in the wait and see for wonderful, Happy Sailing. 

For all if you out there.Just received an email. Next week the EU is coming out with how/ when they will open out to Vaccinated only Americans and others.  It will be done but the conditions will be posted next week. It involves all countries with a caveat that there will be an " emergency brake" in case there is an uptick in in a country which will allow that country to change their policy. They will also be issuing safety travel standards in the form of a " safety seal". I am sure the cruise lines are  anxiously  awaiting this notice, I am. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Add Celebrity to the list of cruise lines announcing pax can go ashore independently, leaving Windstar one of the few sticking to the policy of ship excursions only.

That's awesome ! It leaves out of St. Maarten and we are treated quite well onboard. Definitely checking that. Thanks

Edited by FLbeachbaby