Laundry

govanguy

I've met great people in the laundry. Then again, Quest did eat one of my socks back in 2010, my sock drawer still remains unbalanced. It's a good sized room, if we are all vaccinated, really, not to worry. Even CDC has given up on "social distancing" The new, totally unscientific and unproven number is 3 feet rather than 6 foot distancing. Really, they are clueless as to what they are talking about. The money lies with the quality of the HVAC system and hepa filtering on board. Laundry is free on board, they do provide ecological soap. They don't want us killing the whales getting our socks clean. (No bleach, or at least as of 2019). Oh, word to the wise, if you are choosing inside cabins on Deck 7. You do not want to be in front of, or on the sides of the laundry room. Very heavy corridor traffic, you will hear it. The pricing of those rooms reflects the noise problem. 

We were on deck 7 a couple years ago.  DH does all the laundry.  There seemed to always be one machine not working.  And the first couple of days, there was a line when it opened.  Once he figured out the rhythm of when people used the laundry, everything was fine.  One evening he started a load and we went to dinner and he stepped away for a few minutes to move things to the dryer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dr H said:

I've met great people in the laundry. Then again, Quest did eat one of my socks back in 2010, my sock drawer still remains unbalanced. It's a good sized room, if we are all vaccinated, really, not to worry. Even CDC has given up on "social distancing" The new, totally unscientific and unproven number is 3 feet rather than 6 foot distancing. Really, they are clueless as to what they are talking about. The money lies with the quality of the HVAC system and hepa filtering on board. Laundry is free on board, they do provide ecological soap. They don't want us killing the whales getting our socks clean. (No bleach, or at least as of 2019). Oh, word to the wise, if you are choosing inside cabins on Deck 7. You do not want to be in front of, or on the sides of the laundry room. Very heavy corridor traffic, you will hear it. The pricing of those rooms reflects the noise problem. 

In its latest brief yesterday (May 7) the CDC has agreed with many epidemiologists that aerosols are the primary source of Covid infection, so they would certainly agree with your point about the HVAC system and hepa filtering on board as being very important. Because of the emphasis on aerosols, they have moved away from the idea that, indoors, a distance of 6 feet may be sufficient. For us, given its size, the laundry room might be problematic.

Interestingly, several river cruise companies are emphasizing what they are calling HVAC upgrades as they attempt to recommence their itineraries. We will see if ocean ships make the same claims.

It's difficult to say what the protocols onboard will be, but Azamara have said that further details will be shared on this once the new itineraries are published on May 11th. Personally I think it will be a challenge to maintain social distance in the laundry room. In fact it's going to be a challenge everywhere on the ship. 

Phil 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's difficult to say what the protocols onboard will be, but Azamara have said that further details will be shared on this once the new itineraries are published on May 11th. Personally I think it will be a challenge to maintain social distance in the laundry room. In fact it's going to be a challenge everywhere on the ship. 

Phil 

Have you seen the latest CDC regulations for cruise using US ports?

Includes the use of masks even in outside spaces like the pool deck, sun deck & track. You can remove masks temporarily for short periods to eat & drink, which suggests putting them on in the MDR between courses.

This even if everyone onboard is vaccinated https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=5275

2 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Includes the use of masks even in outside spaces like the pool deck, sun deck & track. You can remove masks temporarily for short periods to eat & drink, which suggests putting them on in the MDR between courses.

This even if everyone onboard is vaccinated https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=5275

The betting is that no cruises will sail under these guidelines. The CDC is just going to kill cruising from US ports. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Denise, it's a nightmare. I want no part of it. Will just wait and see how things go. 

Phil 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The betting is that no cruises will sail under these guidelines. The CDC is just going to kill cruising from US ports. 

The thing is, I don't think these onerous requirements are really a surprise to anyone. Well not to me anyway. I was just thinking about it and kicking it down the road. 

Until we get a good handle on Covid worldwide 

I don't think things will change any time soon. 

Phil 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The thing is, I don't think these onerous requirements are really a surprise to anyone. Well not to me anyway. I was just thinking about it and kicking it down the road. 

Until we get a good handle on Covid worldwide 

I don't think things will change any time soon. 

Phil 

Putting your mask back on between bites in the dining room.  You saw that coming?

28 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Putting your mask back on between bites in the dining room.  You saw that coming?

Where does it say this is a plan?

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Where does it say this is a plan?

I didn’t bother to read the CDC release, but that’s what people are saying on several threads. It sounds too crazy, but then I remember that it’s from the CDC…

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I didn’t bother to read the CDC release, but that’s what people are saying on several threads. It sounds too crazy, but then I remember that it’s from the CDC…

I haven't seen any comments as bizarre as that and looking at the various CDC links I saw this week there is no mention of this.  However, if it is buried in a document all I can say is thank goodness the CDC is irrelevant for such a large % of Azamara cruises.

• Like 1

Extract from CC News article:

The CDC makes clear that it expects guests and crew, as well as port personnel, to wear masks in indoor and outdoor areas except for brief periods while eating and drinking and says that "removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order."

This may be what people are talking about with regard to putting masks on between courses.  Absolute nightmare if true.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Medeba said:

Extract from CC News article:

The CDC makes clear that it expects guests and crew, as well as port personnel, to wear masks in indoor and outdoor areas except for brief periods while eating and drinking and says that "removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order."

This may be what people are talking about with regard to putting masks on between courses.  Absolute nightmare if true.

Thanks -  and thank goodness my cruising ideas for the next year don't include US ports. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Anyone who has been to some pro baseball games in 2021, depending on local regulations.

But the CDC's order nowhere says anything about "between bites."  It simply says cannot be removed for extended periods of time.  Which, in my interpretation, is to avoid people sitting for hours in the same spot unmasked.  Whether that will actually fly is undetermined.

Lots of whining and gnashing of teeth here for something that has not even occurred yet. 

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 2

Basically, CDC is making it up on the fly to please their political overseers. Which is fine. We won't be going anywhere for months, numbers are going down globally (India the exception), more and more people will be getting vaccinated, and where 1 month is a lifetime in politics, 5 months for upcoming cruises is an eternity. I'm not going to worry about nonsensical rules of today, we will have newer rules to deal with then. As a physician (Internal Medicine), I know the mask does NOTHING to prevent me from getting sick. It modestly reduces the risk that I spread something from my respiratory system to YOU. And since I'm healthy and vaccinated, I'm not too worried about being in YOUR presence. I wear the mask as a courtesy, not as a condom. 

• Like 5

Here's my source:

15 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Below is the text of the CSO operations manual.  It is being misconstrued by the cruise media to mean something that it is not.  There is NO requirement that folks keep a mask on while eating.  Although somewhat in-artfully written, I believe that the language is intended to prevent using meal service or drinking to extend the period of time for not wearing a mask.  Masks off for the period of dinner service or cocktails.  This is not different from the masking protocols being used for current cruising.

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers (including those that are fully vaccinated) are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.

That bullet point sounded to the original poster – and does to me – like you will be required to put the mask back on between bites and sips.

And it isn't just the two of us reading it that way:

Frank Del Rio, ex-Renaissance and now CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH), expressed disappointment in the regulations, especially given NCLH's plan to operate ships with 100% of the crew and passengers vaccinated.

• "I am disappointed at first read. I'm going to give the CDC an opportunity to expand and clarify," he said on the company's earnings call May 6. "For example  even though everyone onboard would be vaccinated, in between bites of your meal and in between sips of your beverage, you have to put on your mask, take off your mask. So nobody should order soup because your mask might get sloppy. So that, to me, is just preposterous."

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/CDC-guidance-cruises-from-US?ct=cruise

• Like 1

Don't buy your interpretation for a minute.  The point being made is you can't put a beer or cheese plate in front of you and sit for two hours without a mask and claim you're drinking or eating.  Del Rio is engaging in hyperbole to make a point.  He should know better.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Don't buy your interpretation for a minute.  The point being made is you can't put a beer or cheese plate in front of you and sit for two hours without a mask and claim you're drinking or eating.  Del Rio is engaging in hyperbole to make a point.  He should know better.

My thoughts entirely - there’s making a point and stretching it to the point of ridiculous 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Here's my source:

That bullet point sounded to the original poster – and does to me – like you will be required to put the mask back on between bites and sips.

And it isn't just the two of us reading it that way:

Frank Del Rio, ex-Renaissance and now CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH), expressed disappointment in the regulations, especially given NCLH's plan to operate ships with 100% of the crew and passengers vaccinated.

• "I am disappointed at first read. I'm going to give the CDC an opportunity to expand and clarify," he said on the company's earnings call May 6. "For example  even though everyone onboard would be vaccinated, in between bites of your meal and in between sips of your beverage, you have to put on your mask, take off your mask. So nobody should order soup because your mask might get sloppy. So that, to me, is just preposterous."

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/CDC-guidance-cruises-from-US?ct=cruise

I understand how the OP interpreted the language.  I also understand how Frank Del Rio interprets it.  I think that interpretation is wrong.  Mr. Del Rio is exaggerating for media impact. Perhaps he should confirm with the CDC what the intent of the language is.  His staff is working with the CDC each week, although I know he does not like to admit that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Travels with Lisa said:

I just feel bad for the crew having to enforce the mask rules, no matter what they turn out to be.

Liz

Hopefully there is no need for enforcement and that consensus and common sense will prevail amongst guests.  

Its interesting, when mask wearing in shops became a requirement here, the first few weeks staff at the doors had to remind customers, now no need, I have not seen anyone having to be reminded for months now.  So its a case of share the rules pre boarding, a couple of reminders may be needed and then that will be it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, uktog said:

Hopefully there is no need for enforcement and that consensus and common sense will prevail amongst guests.  

Its interesting, when mask wearing in shops became a requirement here, the first few weeks staff at the doors had to remind customers, now no need, I have not seen anyone having to be reminded for months now.  So its a case of share the rules pre boarding, a couple of reminders may be needed and then that will be it.

Wish that was the case here in the states, but alas not so.

Here in NC the mask mandate is still in force, but as recently as yesterday visited the local grocery and quite a number not wearing masks.  Including an employee with the famous "chin mask" handling uncovered fresh food.

And no way of knowing who is/is not vaxxed, since there is a sizeable anti-vax contingent alive and well in the states, even in our very progressive corner of this state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My bottom line from the medical standpoint is that IF YOU are vaccinated, you are NOT going to get sick. If you do get sick, it will be from one of the rare genetic variants that are indeed out there, and booster shots are coming. However your chances of getting killed pulling out of the supermarket's driveway is much higher! No, not likely, not impossible, just highly unlikely. And hey, you never know, the ship could sink also. Or the plane could go down. And there is always lightning, and falling trees. As I've posted, I wear a mask indoors in public as a courtesy to others. Neither my life nor theirs depend upon it. But I refuse to live my life in politically controlled fear.

• Like 2