21-day first time cruise (Bad ports?)

Hi all, 

My wife and I are looking to go on a honeymoon, and we've never been on a cruise before. We live in Denmark, and would like the cruise to be on the longer side, as there is a big cost in the plane tickets themselves. 

I've found this 21 day cruise with Norwegian Encore. I can see it is relocating from doing 7-day cruises carribbean cruises to 7-day alaska cruises. 

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/cruises/21-day-panama-canal-mexico-and-costa-rica-to-seattle-ENCORE21MIACTGPCTPCLSJSPRQPVRCSLLAXSFOVICSEA?numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=duration_high_low&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=ENCORE21MIACTGPCTPCLSJSPRQPVRCSLLAXSFOVICSEA  

Seeing it is the Norwegian Encore which is a rather new ship, I think it is a unique opportunity to go 21 days on it. What concerns me is the following:

When it normally does 7-day cruises (Designed only for 7 day cruises?), how will a 21-day cruise go? Will we run out of things to do, will we have watched all the entertainment in just the first 7 days? 

Also, I don't know if the ports are visited often, as this cruise trip is not regular. So. Are the ports good? Do they have good excursions, or would excursions on popular ports like the ones in the Carribbean be considerably better? 

Thank you for your input :) 

3 hours ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Hi all, 

My wife and I are looking to go on a honeymoon, and we've never been on a cruise before. We live in Denmark, and would like the cruise to be on the longer side, as there is a big cost in the plane tickets themselves. 

I've found this 21 day cruise with Norwegian Encore. I can see it is relocating from doing 7-day cruises carribbean cruises to 7-day alaska cruises. 

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/cruises/21-day-panama-canal-mexico-and-costa-rica-to-seattle-ENCORE21MIACTGPCTPCLSJSPRQPVRCSLLAXSFOVICSEA?numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=duration_high_low&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=ENCORE21MIACTGPCTPCLSJSPRQPVRCSLLAXSFOVICSEA

Seeing it is the Norwegian Encore which is a rather new ship, I think it is a unique opportunity to go 21 days on it. What concerns me is the following:

When it normally does 7-day cruises (Designed only for 7 day cruises?), how will a 21-day cruise go? Will we run out of things to do, will we have watched all the entertainment in just the first 7 days? 

Also, I don't know if the ports are visited often, as this cruise trip is not regular. So. Are the ports good? Do they have good excursions, or would excursions on popular ports like the ones in the Carribbean be considerably better? 

Thank you for your input 🙂

@mikkelzzz3

Howdy and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards! emo22.gif

Thank you for your first new thread on the First Time Cruisers forum. 👍  It is the forum for general questions by first timers regarding things such as how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack, etc. However, since your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line and one of their ships, I have moved your thread to our Norwegian Cruise Line forum. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed NCL and on Norwegian Encore frequent this forum and provide feedback here.

As for the itinerary, I suggest you start your research on our Florida Departures forum for Miami and West Coast Departures for Seattle. That is where you will find information about hotel, transportation, dining embarkation, disembarkation, etc. As for the various Ports of Callthe sub-forums for you to research would be the following:

South America for Nicaragua

Columbia

Panama Canal

Costa Rico

Mexican Riviera for Cabo San Lucas

And since you mention the cruise will be your honeymoon, be sure to research our Honeymoon & Wedding Cruises forum. Browse through the thread titles and l👀k for titles of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Cruise Critic is a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you.

It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning only one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry as that sort of information will help your fellow members help you.

Once you book your cruise, I want to let you know the Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before.

Also, the Roll Call thread for your cruise is the only place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other to 💲ave money. That is ... if COVID-19 protocol allows by then. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on with more posts back and forth to get to know the other thread members and allow them to get to know you first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls. emo34.gif

To explain our Roll Calls and finding the Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call if one has not been started for your ship & sail date. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! See How To: Submit a Member Review.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. So glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruise itinerary map for Norwegian Cruise Line 21 Night Panama Canal: Mexico & Costa Rica To Seattle (85897)
From Sun 17 Apr 2022
(To Sun 8 May 2022)
21 Night Panama Canal: Mexico & Costa Rica To Seattle
Ship Norwegian Encore

More details at
More details for 21 Night Panama Canal: Mexico & Costa Rica To Seattle at Norwegian Cruise Line

Cruise Prices   help.gif   Studio  NA Inside  $2,260 Oceanview  $2,799 Balcony  $3,898 Spa   Club Balcony Suite  $4,451 The Haven  

Cruise Itinerary: Miami, Florida (17 Apr d1600); Cartagena, Colombia (20 Apr 0600-1600); Panama City, Panama (22 Apr); Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica (24 Apr 0800-1700); San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua (25 Apr 0700-1600); Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala (26 Apr 1000-1900); Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (29 Apr 0700-1500); Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (30 Apr 0700-1400); Los Angeles, California (02 May 0800-1500); San Francisco, California (04 May (+1)1600); Victoria, British Columbia (07 May 1000-2300); Seattle, Washington (08 May@0600)

Your itinerary is pretty standard for a repositioning through the Panama Canal.  NCL is funny about not listing the transit of the Panama Canal in the itinerary, but it is usually the day after Cartagena.  Be aware that the Encore will be using the new locks of the canal, as she is too large for the historic locks.  The Panama City stop is at the end of the transit.  My favorite stop on this itinerary is Puerto Quetzal, as that's where you get to visit Antigua, Guatemala.  It's Central America at it's colonial best, with lots of native Mayan residents.  EM

• Like 1

While I would love this cruise and would happily book it, I’m not certain I would recommend a 21-day cruise for first time cruisers. What if you find out one or both of you don’t really care for cruising?  21 days is a big commitment.  I’d probably recommend you try a 7-10 day cruise first.  Perhaps somewhere closer to home so you pay less airfare.  The Mediterranean is a great option.  Perhaps you could then add on some land vacation before or after the cruise to get you 21 days of holiday. 

Once you are certain that cruising is fun for you, THEN I would schedule a 21 day one. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

While I would love this cruise and would happily book it, I’m not certain I would recommend a 21-day cruise for first time cruisers. What if you find out one or both of you don’t really care for cruising?  21 days is a big commitment.  I’d probably recommend you try a 7-10 day cruise first.  Perhaps somewhere closer to home so you pay less airfare.  The Mediterranean is a great option.  Perhaps you could then add on some land vacation before or after the cruise to get you 21 days of holiday. 

Once you are certain that cruising is fun for you, THEN I would schedule a 21 day one. 

Congratulation for your honeymoon planning.   However, like the above answer, 21 days is a very long time on a cruise ship.  I just wouldn't do that for your first cruise.  As mentioned, select something closer to home and just give cruising a test.  You will probably absolutely love it.  But if you don't, 21 days is too long to be unhappy, especially on a honeymoon.  We love cruising, but 21 days would be too long for us I'm afraid.  Then with a shorter cruise, if you find that you do love cruising, part of the adventure is planning your next one.  My opinion.......

• Like 2

If you’re not concerned with the length of being away from home or on a cruise ship, this is an amazing itinerary. 21 days is a long time but I think it depends on your age. 10 years ago I wouldn’t blink twice at being away for 21 days, but now I would be a little more hesitant. I would still probably go but I wouldn’t be so quick to pull the trigger. 

You do have some really nice ports where you will get a nice variety of excursions. They aren’t super common like the traditional Caribbean ports but NCL still does a nice job in putting together a spread to choose from in each place. In a traditional Caribbean port you can see upwards of 50 different options on one island.  With these Central American ports you should still have 15 to 20 to choose from in each place. If you tell us what you like to do in your free time or what interests you, we can tell you if the places have excursions to meet that. For example, if you like hiking, Central America has some great volcanos you can hike up. 

The transit through the Panama Canal will be very nice even though it’s through the new set of locks. I’ve only sailed through the new set and while I thought it was amazing, I definitely have an urge now to take a smaller ship through the original route. 

As far as entertainment, you will have your standard shows that are shown in the main theater on a traditional 7 day cruise but they will be spaced apart, usually one at the start and one at the end of the cruise. And then in between those shows, NCL will fly entertainers on to keep you busy at night. There will always be something for you to do. Maybe not jammed pack each night, but there will still be options. 

It’s a beautiful itinerary and being at sea for 21 days, the crew will really get to know you and for me that makes the cruise that more special. 

• Thanks 1

Agree with everyone above, I would not recommend a 21 day cruise for anyone as a first time. There are lots of good options for Northern European cruises that are 9-11 days. Or if the idea of the Panama Canal is what you enjoy, they have shorter ones that are only 12-14 days - so still "long" to justify the flight, but not almost an entire month "stuck on a boat". 

NCL often has trips that included reduced airfare, so see if you could snag one of those trips so you don't have to worry about the flights being the prohibitive factor in your vacation.

• Like 1

I too agree that 21 days is very long for a first cruise.  The itinerary is very interesting.    NCL are selling this as a 15 day to Los Angeles, 18 day to San Francisco and 21 day to Seattle.  Out of curiosity I priced out a Category BA balcony on all 3 durations.   The base fare is identical on all 3.  If you opted to include the dining and beverage packages on each the fare increases just slightly by staying on from 15 to 18 to 21 days.   Essentially the last 6 days are virtually free!

The longest cruise I have experienced is 18 and we found that the production shows are stretched out and menus in both the free dining rooms and buffet become repetitive.   But I am sure you will always find something to satisfy your appetite.

Should you decide to book the cruise we would very much welcome you to both my winter home, Puerto Vallarta,  and my home city in Canada, Victoria,  which is your last stop before Seattle.  Hopefully you will have time to spend after the cruise to enjoy the beautiful Pacific Northwest before you return to your home in Denmark.

Best of luck in making the final decision.

• Thanks 1

I agree with others about the length, although if it were me, I'd tack on the Alaska cruise at the end!

My 2nd ever cruise was similar but in reverse and we started in San Diego, so somewhat shorter.  Excursions in Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica were available but the drive was an hour or more away.

All cruises that transit the Panama Canal visit most of the same ports. You will probably enjoy some ports more than others, but that won't affect your enjoyment of the cruise as a whole.

The reason that this cruise is so long is the extension to Victoria and Seattle. Many Panama Canal cruises are only between a Florida port and San Diego or Los Angeles in southern California.

I wouldn't hesitate to book a long cruise on the Encore. NCL has diverse entertainment options, and while the big stage shows will repeat, many of the smaller shows will be different (same performers but different acts). You will see some repetitions in the main-dining-room menus, because there is typically a 14-day rotation, after which menus repeat (not necessarily in the same order), but the number of menu items is large.

21 days might be a tad to long. a number of carribbean islands are great for snorkeling,and the beach,

but ive vacationed in a number of them, and a few hrs in port  is sufficient.  sightseeing is nice, but there aint a whole lot going on.

i dont know when you plan to sail, but there is a 12 day cruise on the star leaving from london (south hampton)  to lisbon  this oct with stops in paris, brussels amsterdam, dublin, cork and maybe a few others i dont recall.

since you live in denmark, if youve already visited these ports, they wont be any thing special.  if not, i assure you, they're all more interestsing/ exciting than Caribbean ports.  additionally, if you want to wait until nov 2020 the star is sailingtrans-atlantic from lisbon to rio.  

i would imagine, if either of these are of any interest, the air fare would be substantially cheaper.

only downside is that the star is a smaller ship, and not nearly as opulent as the encore.

finally, if your funds allow, and youre going to be gone for 21 days, try and book a haven suite. that's cruising

We love long cruises, and often string 4-5 cruises together to have 2+ months of cruising.  For exactly the same reason, why spend all that effort getting there for just 7 days on board? Having said that, 21 days is still rather long for a first cruise.

Maybe you could grab a last minute deal in the Baltic (from Copenhagen!) or (better) eastern Caribbean from Athens later this year, 7-14 days, rather than planning too far ahead.

The cruise you're looking at is a repositioning cruise, designed to get the ship in position for the Alaska season. With all the chaos around cruising now and for some time to come, there's a good chance it could change. The US ports are nice but deserve more time than a cruise day tour. The central American ports are OK but not as varied as some other parts of the world could be.

If you're really looking for a long cruise, to make it worthwhile, consider back-to-back cruises on the same ship, or connecting between ships somewhere like Miami or Rome. No need to stick to whatever is offered as a long cruise, think about two or three cruises of 7-14 days.  You could also break them up with a few days or more at the place where you change, for example a transatlantic, some time in NY or Miami, then a couple of Caribbean cruises.

If seeing the Panama canal is important, the Panama round-trip cruises from places like Miami (that go just to Gatun Lake, through the old docks) are easy to combine with other Caribbean cruising.

Edited by Rob_H
(corrected spelling)
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies! I was surprised to see so much engagement in this post! 😄 

Regarding the length, I am actually not too worried that it would be too long for us specifically as first time cruisers. What I am concerned about is a 7-day cruise doing a 21-day cruise, compared to other cruises designed and planned to do a 21-day cruise. I would be concerned if after the 7 days you start to feel like the ship was not meant to do 21-days. 

I'm 27, and my wife 25. We are very open to the type of excursions. Though "looking excursions" are not so much us. Think museums, sightseeing bus tours etc. Though hop-on hop-off tours busses we would find exciting. Active excursions like zip-lining through a jungle (I've seen that excursion in the caribbean), riding on horse-back, snorkeling, hiking to a volcano, kayak through a jungle river all seem interesting to us. 

Originally, we had booked a 12-day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Reflection in a Balcony Cabin last year which got cancelled. I've since seen a lot a videos, and I'm thinking that Celebrity might be lacking in some of the activities I think are just awesome. Like Broadway shows, laser tag and things like that. 

I now have the mindset of "getting most out of the plane tickets", but also thinking about future kids. Now we can go on a long cruise out of season which we can afford. But going on a 21-day cruise with kids in the school holiday I can imagine being too expensive. In that scenario I would think a 7-14 day caribbean cruise would be perfect. 

But for right now, when we can go outside of summer holiday, and it is just us, I think this is the perfect opportunity we will have in a long time to go 21 days. And we don't want to miss out on that! 

Our budget is 3300usd pr. person for cabin fare. So I researched, and this NCL cruise in an inside cabin, seems to be the longest we can do, without it being transatlantic. Meaning it has a decent amount of ports. We plan to do excursions in each port. 

For this cruise we would use the free at sea upgrade. Drinking package, and excursion discount perk. Additionally we would purchase a 14-meal specialty dinking package (So hopefully we won't feel the menus repeating themselves), the thermal spa pass, and the arcade pass. 

On the Celebrity cruise we has also bought excursions. The ones I remember were, zip-lines in a jungle, 4x4 jeep tour, horseback rinding on the beach, sailing on those small sailboats I can't remember the name of, and snorkeling with turtles. These excursions seemed very nice. I hope NCL with have something similar.

@Rob_H Did just make me realise back to back cruises could be an option. Like transatlantic from Europe to Florida. And then a cruise in the Caribbean? hmmm. Though cruising for the first time and having to change ship seems a little scary. Though if I could find the same ship doing a transatlantic cruise and then caribbean right after, that would be perfect. 

@TashaB Thank you for the offer 😄 

17 hours ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Hi all, 

I agree with people saying that 21 days may be too long for a first cruise but since it's your honeymoon (congratulations!) can it really be too long? If you think that it's boring you can just stay in your cabin!  

22 minutes ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Did just make me realise back to back cruises could be an option. Like transatlantic from Europe to Florida. And then a cruise in the Caribbean? hmmm. Though cruising for the first time and having to change ship seems a little scary. Though if I could find the same ship doing a transatlantic cruise and then caribbean right after, that would be perfect. 

A cruise in the Med, then transatlatic, then Caribbean, on the same ship, is sometimes possible.

Back to Back on the same ship is great, for the second (or more!) cruise you know your way around, all the best places to be, and the crew get to know you better. Yes, you will get some entertainment repeated with back to back, but just the two or three company shows, the guest entertainers will usually vary.  To your point about 21 day cruises, they are designed to have unique entertainment each day, not a 3x7 day sequence of events, they're fine.  We've been on many 15+ day cruises and prefer them.

It's a great idea to get a long cruise in before kids!  

With the additional information on your ages, you should stick to the big ships, Escape and above.  We like the smaller ships for less crowds, but there aren't so many active activities.

One thing you'll notice is the fellow passengers are often much older on long cruises (working people don't have the time) and repositioning cruises.  This is especially noticable on transatlantic cruises.  You get younger people and more kids (sometimes too many...) on short cruises that round trip back to the same port.  On the good side, that means you get more access to the active onboard activities on the long cruises!  But less people of a simiar age (not none, just less).

Also, there tend to be better active tours on the mass-market cruise ports (like the Caribbean islands) rather than places that get irregular cruise visits, like central america.  For the most fun, go where the crowds are.

This is all from a pre-Covid viewpoint.  Cruising could be very different when it fully resumes.

18 hours ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Hi all, 

Congratulations on your engagement!!  21 days will seem short when it is all over. i just booked from november until the end of may b2b cruises out of miami (196 nights). the first will be 53 days on msc divina, moving onto Royal Carribean switching ships every 14 days. i was able to get the same room as the Royal ships are 7 days each so that way i dont have to move cabins. my cruise ends in barcelona. the good thing about miami is several cruises depart everyday so i just walk down the pier to the next ship.the longest cruise i have taken was 117 nights as a world cruise on Cunard and i sure miss that, was 20 years ago.you should look at other cruise lines also, i have taken 7 cruises on NCL and i would never take another one.  i think royal carribean is overall the best  non luxury cruise line,  i have 1021 nights on them because they treat me well.  i wish you a Bon Voyage on whichever journey you take.

Edited by ericfromri
  • Like 1

Wow, you sure are a very seasoned cruiser! 

I'm just now looking on royal caribbean as well. I can see it would be possible to do a transatlantic and then right after carribean on the same ship "Allure of the seas". It is not as new of a ship as Norwegian Encore, what do you think? Does the age of the ship take priority? 

15 minutes ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Wow, you sure are a very seasoned cruiser! 

I'm just now looking on royal caribbean as well. I can see it would be possible to do a transatlantic and then right after carribean on the same ship "Allure of the seas". It is not as new of a ship as Norwegian Encore, what do you think? Does the age of the ship take priority? 

the allure was the last ship i was cruising on when we were disembarked in barcelona. i had bought the next trip but was cancelled due to the Rona.  it is easily 1 of the best ships at sea.  i will be on the transatlantic going the other way and 5 b2bs as well on it.  i am looking for some pictures of that journey.   the age can play a part but on this class of ships, in the year of production dollars comes out to 1.5B US. they definitely invest constantly to keep the ships modern. i can attest on any of the oasis class ships, you will have ample entertainment, food choice, and relaxation. i suggest an ocean view balcony on deck 12 or lower as far back as possible. 

Edited by ericfromri
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

the allure was the last ship i was cruising on when we were disembarked in barcelona. i had bought the next trip but was cancelled due to the Rona.  it is easily 1 of the best ships at sea.  i will be on the transatlantic going the other way and 5 b2bs as well on it.  i am looking for some pictures of that journey.   the age can play a part but on this class of ships, in the year of production dollars comes out to 1.5B US. they definitely invest constantly to keep the ships modern. i can attest on any of the oasis class ships, you will have ample entertainment, food choice, and relaxation. i suggest an ocean view balcony on deck 12 or lower as far back as possible. 

What do you think of these as back to back? 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-eastern-caribbean-perfect-day-from-miami-on-symphony/SY07E253?sail-date=2022-04-16&currency=DKK&country=DNK&dates_maxDate=04%2F30%2F2022&dates_minDate=04%2F01%2F2022

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/14-night-transatlantic-from-barcelona-on-allure/AL14T196?sail-date=2022-04-24&currency=DKK&country=DNK&dates_maxDate=04%2F30%2F2022&dates_minDate=04%2F01%2F2022

16th - 23rd caribbean. 24th 14-day to Barcelona

7 minutes ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

well there is an 8 day on the allure right before the transatlantic.  you could possibly get the same room. i would be on both of those if you stayed on the allure. it goes to  st maarten, my favorite.   https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/8-night-eastern-caribbean-from-fort-lauderdale-on-allure/AL08E078?sail-date=2022-04-16&currency=DKK&country=DNK&dates_maxDate=04%2F30%2F2022&dates_minDate=04%2F01%2F2022   anyway look at the after transatlantic 7 night med cruise to.     you could stretch to 28 nights.

Edited by ericfromri
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

well there is an 8 day on the allure right before the transatlantic.  you could possibly get the same room. i would be on both of those if you stayed on the allure. it goes to  st maarten, my favorite.   https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/8-night-eastern-caribbean-from-fort-lauderdale-on-allure/AL08E078?sail-date=2022-04-16&currency=DKK&country=DNK&dates_maxDate=04%2F30%2F2022&dates_minDate=04%2F01%2F2022   anyway look at the after transatlantic 7 night med cruise to.     you could stretch to 28 nights.

if you book any of those, i could show you and the misses around on board. i have access because of my loyalty to everything on board. i am 49 and not an old fogie  lol

Edited by ericfromri

9 minutes ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Thank you for the offer! I just pitched the Caribbean > Transatlantic > Med. 

Are you doing those three as well? Maybe we should continue this on email? mikkelzzz3@gmail.com 🙂 

yes , all 3 plus some more.  i will email you.

• Like 1