I'm beginning to think the CDC may very well lose the lawsuit that Florida initiated

ontheweb

39 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

This is exactly what I glean from this article. Its premise is on how best to prioritise vaccine distribution when vaccines are in short supply. Therefore don't use it on those who have already recently had Covid but use it to protect those  who have no known immunity. I find it equally frustrating and amusing how people misuse these articles to push their anti-vaccination stance. 

I find it equally amusing that in a scientific article that found no benefit whatsoever, your only takeaway was the prioritization line to push your vaccination stance.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:47 AM, Keksie said:

51.47% of the population of Florida have had at least one shot.  Since the 12+ age group has just recently been approved for the Pfizer vaccine it will take time before they can be fully vaccinated so your 38% will change as the younger population gets beyond their second shots.  If you are vaccinated your chances of catching covid anywhere are very small.

Becker’s Hispital Review reports that Florida shows 40.49% fully vaccinated.  It may be that there are millions  just waiting for their second shot, but since two are strongly recommended , Florida still has a long way to go.

Does not matter to us.  No vaccination requirement, no cruise for us.   When we have cruised from Florida we have spent far more on land pre and post than we have on the cruise.  ''

We will have no issue avoiding Florida or cruises from Florida should the Governor prevail.  We have many other travel options to choose from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The South will writhe again.

You can say all the bad things you want about Florida or Texas but there is no where I would have wanted to spend the last year and a half.  In Florida after March/April of 2020 we have been able to shop, eat in restaurants, participate in many activities and kids have been in school since September.  With only a few restrictions we have been able to have some semblance of a normal life as opposed to some other states who are only now opening things up.  I am sure you are happy in the region/state you live in and I don't really understand why you need to disparage other regions/states.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was doing some research on other areas in the US that have also gone to zero new cases and it turns out there are many of them as shown on the map I will link here.  Nebraska is doing especially well and a wide band of 0 cases is forming right down the middle of mainland USA. I'm going to say Florida has already hit their final inflection point because all of their counties are down to the tens of new cases per day or less.  The highest new cases per day are in Miami but many other areas are down to 10 or less.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

26 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

I'm going to say Florida has already hit their final inflection point because all of their counties are down to the tens of new cases per day or less.  The highest new cases per day are in Miami but many other areas are down to 10 or less.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

As of last week - and with no advance notice - Florida is only reporting cases weekly.  According to this Suncoast News (Tampa Bay area) article (https://www.suncoastnews.com/news/doh-ends-daily-covid-19-reporting-dashboard-is-gone/article_a8affb18-c739-11eb-9477-4361e2a85140.html)

• The Florida Department of Health has ended its daily reports of COVID-19 activity and has shuttered its dashboard that provided a visual account of cases, deaths, testing and other information since March 2020.
  • The information has been replaced with a weekly report that doesn’t provide nearly the same level of details, especially at the county level. And DOH no longer includes cases, deaths or other information about nonresidents.
  • The new weekly report does not provide the number of deaths per county.
  • The state’s new weekly report focuses more on vaccinations.

Call me a skeptic, but reducing transparency and access to data reduces my faith in the reported data.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Keksie said:

You can say all the bad things you want about Florida or Texas but there is no where I would have wanted to spend the last year and a half.  In Florida after March/April of 2020 we have been able to shop, eat in restaurants, participate in many activities and kids have been in school since September.  With only a few restrictions we have been able to have some semblance of a normal life as opposed to some other states who are only now opening things up.  I am sure you are happy in the region/state you live in and I don't really understand why you need to disparage other regions/states.  

I so agree with you.  I am originally from California but am so grateful to have been living in Texas during this pandemic for the same reasons you cited in regards to Florida.  I have also lived in Florida and love it there.  During this pandemic, Texas and Florida have been two of the best states to live in where things have been the least restricted.  As I was looking at the map I linked earlier, I realized that all counties in  Florida have passed their final inflection point.  The pandemic is clearly ending there!  So happy for everyone in Florida!  I think it will only be a matter of a few more weeks and all counties in Florida, even Miami-Dade and Broward will be at 0 new cases.  That's notable because there are so many people living in high density (high rise) housing in that area.  New York City, by contrast is still struggling with 248 cases per day.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Perhaps the fat lady has not finished singing.  

But, of course,— a state in a warm climate - where so much more time can be spent out of doors - should have a much lower transmission rate than a colder one when air-borne transmission is a major factor —- and somehow those regions do not seem to have fared much better.

21 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

I think it will only be a matter of a few more weeks and all counties in Florida, even Miami-Dade and Broward will be at 0 new cases. 

Where are you getting your information to support this prediction? 

The first weekly report covering May 28 to June 3 has been released (http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/covid19-data/covid19_data_latest.pdf).  Examining the County Overview table every county is still reporting new cases.  Granted some sparsely populated counties (out of Florida's 67 counties, 28 have populations of less than 50,000 and 13 of those have less than 20,000) are in the single digits but all reported new cases.

59 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Where are you getting your information to support this prediction? 

The first weekly report covering May 28 to June 3 has been released (http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/covid19-data/covid19_data_latest.pdf).  Examining the County Overview table every county is still reporting new cases.  Granted some sparsely populated counties (out of Florida's 67 counties, 28 have populations of less than 50,000 and 13 of those have less than 20,000) are in the single digits but all reported new cases.

I'm using the same data you have compared to places that are already at 0 and how that happened.

13 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

I'm using the same data you have compared to places that are already at 0 and how that happened.

So you are extrapolating from other places in other states with other population densities and demographics, vaccination rates, etc.?   Are you a demographic statistician by training and vocation?

Edited by capriccio

I wonder who will win the game of chicken between Gov. DeSantos and NCL?

https://www.modbee.com/news/article251956123.html

How will RCCL do this without asking passengers about vaccination status?

"Royal Caribbean International said Friday that eight of its ships will resume U.S. voyages in July and August with trips leaving Florida, Texas and Washington state ports. That company said that passengers are “strongly recommended” to get vaccinated, adding that unvaccinated passengers must be tested for the virus and follow other measures."

For the past 30 days, Florida reported the highest number of new cases in America - except for 6 days. For three of those days, Texas was #1 in America and Florida was #2.

Three days ago Florida stopped reporting new COVID cases and deaths.

What are they trying to hide?

6 minutes ago, Donald said:

For the past 30 days, Florida reported the highest number of new cases in America - except for 6 days. For three of those days, Texas was #1 in America and Florida was #2.

Three days ago Florida stopped reporting new COVID cases and deaths.

What are they trying to hide?

Possibly the fact that their denial of reality is not working all that well.

Now that their warm climate advantage is waning with the coming of summer, these comparisons are more applies to apples.

Edited by navybankerteacher

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps the fat lady has not finished singing.  

But, of course,— a state in a warm climate - where so much more time can be spent out of doors - should have a much lower transmission rate than a colder one when air-borne transmission is a major factor —- and somehow those regions do not seem to have fared much better.

Actually after last March/April I have met friends inside, dined inside and attended activities inside and out.  It doesn't matter what the fat lady does Florida will still be the place I want to live.  By the way we have fared much better as far as a more normal last year plus.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Keksie said:

Actually after last March/April I have met friends inside, dined inside and attended activities inside and out.  It doesn't matter what the fat lady does Florida will still be the place I want to live.  By the way we have fared much better as far as a more normal last year plus.  

I think some of the people on here are not real cruisers.  They ask inappropriate questions to try to figure out who you are and try to cause internet drama for no reason.  Probably they have not been on a cruise in years and if they have cruised, people would have avoided them for obvious reasons.   Best to ignore them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 1:45 PM, songbird1329 said:

Public health always trumps economic loss, and the CDC is on the side of public health.  You think public health is form over substance? But you have an interesting view of the world, don't you?????

The issue in the court case, as framed by the attorneys who actually drafted the motion papers, whether the CDC, in its effort to protect public health, overreached its authority.  But thanks for playing.

Now that the judge has ruled,  it is safe for you to make a prediction on this case....

It looks like the judge has taken into consideration the economic damages,     I'm not saying that he is placing economic loss over public health but it certainly looks like he ruled that way.

They never mentioned  substance over form but it's there in principle.

On a personal note,  I had a good gut feeling about this one all along.

Edited by JRG
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, Keksie said:

It is amusing how some people explain away FL &TX's good results because they are warm weather states where people can go outdoors more, where the risk is lowest, when exactly the same people were supporting policies that forced people to stay indoors.  Why were parks and beaches closed, when outdoors was the safest places to be?  Where was the "follow the science" then?  Where is the "follow the science" now, when study after study indicates natural immunity is as effective and at least as durable as vaccine Immunity?  We've gone from "follow the science" to let's give the vaccine the benefit of the doubt over natural immunity.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, Keksie said:

AMEN, sista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Love our Rockin' Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!  

22 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

It is amusing how some people explain away FL &TX's good results because they are warm weather states where people can go outdoors more, where the risk is lowest, when exactly the same people were supporting policies that forced people to stay indoors.  Why were parks and beaches closed, when outdoors was the safest places to be?  Where was the "follow the science" then?  

Your specious reasoning just makes my head hurt. Do you really not understand it or are you just stirring the pot?

Obviously staying inside, in a bubble, with people to whom you're already exposed and who are already exposed to you is safer, from the standpoint of infectivity, than being outdoors among people to whom you are NOT regularly exposed. 

You are trying to equate that with something completely different: the fact that when you are in a situation where you may be exposed to infectious people (who aren't in your household or "bubble"), there is a lessened risk of transmission outdoors vs. indoors simply due to the better ventilation.

• Like 2