Three-Device Surf and Stream

My daughter and her family will be going on their first cruise in July 2022 on Oasis.  They have a 17-year old son (and a six-year old; he's not counted in this).  They all want to have the internet on their phones -- two Androids and one iPhone.  For them each to get an individual package is almost $1000.  Can they share the three-device package, with it being charged to just one adult, all using the same ID and P/W?  I think my husband I have shared the two-device package in the past, but it's been a while.  It's hard for me to get a true price for them, using my log in, since we'll be D+ by then (we're going, too).

How about the Royal IQ app?  Can you still purchase a messaging piece for one price?  I know we'll all need that!

Thanks for your help!

I order the 4 device package for my family.  The price is per one adult per day.  But you get 4 unique codes to use across each device.  The planner is always confusing for that one.  But buy the package for one person only.

5 minutes ago, dwp10mm said:

I order the 4 device package for my family.  The price is per one adult per day.  But you get 4 unique codes to use across each device.  The planner is always confusing for that one.  But buy the package for one person only.

Thank you!

33 minutes ago, joand452 said:

My daughter and her family will be going on their first cruise in July 2022 on Oasis.  They have a 17-year old son (and a six-year old; he's not counted in this).  They all want to have the internet on their phones -- two Androids and one iPhone.  For them each to get an individual package is almost $1000.  Can they share the three-device package, with it being charged to just one adult, all using the same ID and P/W?  I think my husband I have shared the two-device package in the past, but it's been a while.  It's hard for me to get a true price for them, using my log in, since we'll be D+ by then (we're going, too).

How about the Royal IQ app?  Can you still purchase a messaging piece for one price?  I know we'll all need that!

Thanks for your help!

The 3 device package allows any 3 devices to be logged on at the same time.  You could log out a phone and use a different device in your cabin if you wanted to.

There was no charge for the messaging service on The Royal app prior to Covid.

C&A status does not affect the cruise planner price.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

3 hours ago, dwp10mm said:

I don't quite understand the :four unique codes".

For true internet access for various devices (smart phones, tablets, laptops)...

Historically i have bought a two device package under my name for me and my wife.  We would get one password.  Me and my wife just made sure that we each had only one of our devices connected at anyoone time.  I.E.  if if was using my cell phone, and wanted to use my laptop to connect, I made sure to disconnet my cell phone from the RCCL wifi and then connect using my laptop.

My wife did the same for her devices.

A few years ago we did a family trip with some of my in-laws.  One of the children needed to make a daily trip report to her classmates to have an excused absence.  I offered to her parents to buy a three device package with the understanding that they would pay me the difference between the two device package and the three device.  For them it was cheaper for them to do this than buy there own one device package for their daughter.

Once we got on-board, I gave the parents the one and only code I had received.  Everyone was happy.

As a side note the parents, paid me back by buying me a few glasses of wine during the cruise.  WIN/WIN for everyone infolved.

7 hours ago, joand452 said:

Thanks for your help!

May be your DD can buy a one device package and share it amongst the 4 devices. That's all we ever do. You are out of the country on an international cruise. Check your email and texts a couple of times a day. 

Now, the 17 year old may be tempted to turn on roaming on he ship and could run up thousands of dollars and charges.... or your DD wanting to see her favorite soap could turn on roaming and run up 10's of thousands of dollars in charges.  

Problems with phone bills depends on whether your phone company supports roaming.  If it does, turn airplane mode on and then wireless on (or disable roaming).  Our service provider doesn't do roaming at all, so we never get a big phone bill - just the normal $30/month.

15 hours ago, joand452 said:

Thanks for your help!

How often, and for how long do people want to be connected? You could get a 2 device package and share it. The package allows ANY 2 devices to be connected at the same time. The package is not assigned to "John's phone" or "Mary's tablet". It does not matter what devices are connected. What matters is that only 2 are connected at the same time. So, if you only need to access the internet once in a while, and you're willing to share time with family members, you could get by with a 2 device (or even 1 device) to share with the family. The 3 or 4 device packages work the same way. It doesn't matter which devices are connected, it only matters how many are connected at the same time.

They use to give you a funky code of numbers and letters similar to:  eg7pq34.  You had to share that code with others using your 3 or 4-device package and log in/off each time you wanted to shift to a different device.

The last two times we got the 4-device package, the owner of the package would be prompted to set up a user name/4-digit pin.  You would then share that user name/pin with the others on the package.  It's best to make up a user name/pin that everyone will remember, i.e., steve/1234.  With that username/pin, only 4 devices on a 4-device package would be allowed to be connected at the same time.

I may have confused how many codes as I recall a few years ago I had a drink package with wifi, and then bought another 2 device for the kids.  Probably why I remember multiple codes as in that case I did get at least two different login codes.  If it hadn't been two years since my last cruise then I probably would have remembered better.  lol.  

We are an all iPhone family.  So with everyone having the package, we can keep in iMessage and easily update each other on where we are, when to be ready for dinner, etc.  Also makes it easy to keep in touch with everyone at home without any concerns on using a phone call or your data plan.  I'm the only one who doesn't put his phone in airplane mode for emergencies.  Everyone else does as soon as we sail away.

1 hour ago, dwp10mm said:

So with everyone having the package, we can keep in iMessage and easily update each other on where we are, when to be ready for dinner, etc

iMessage messages used to sneak by free on certain ships pre-COVID.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

We took advantage of that the last time we sailed. It was nice to be able to keep track of the teens without paying extra money. 🙂

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Unfortunately they fixed that.

They planned to charge for the Royal App messaging. Don't know if they ever got around to that.

Edited by Charles4515

I always got the one device plan and shared because we did not alll need to be logged on at the same time. If one of the other two people logged on and logged on that would log off the one who was logged on who was usually with me and had not bothered to log off. Really sharing with three on a cruise was not annoying at all because with everything to do it was rare for all three wanting to be logged on at the same time. The only negative could be if you want the plan to message each other. We used the Royal App messaging for that which was free at the time.

Thank you all for your responses.  I'll pass them along to my daughter.  I'm sure they and the 17-yo will want to be connected all the time.  My daughter runs a business, so she'll want to be connected, too.  I'll let them know that the price is per device, not per person!

I'll warn her to make sure they turn on airplane mode only!