What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Lois, we have white Italian scali bread up here and it is delicious.  I picked up a loaf this AM…at our Italian/Portuguese bakery…topped with sesame seeds and sliced.  I also got some home made linguica from the same bakery.  We are so lucky to have this bakery.

Hi CGT

Happy Memorial Day.......

We too as I have said have a great bakery here too! 

Prosciutto, Lard, Sundried Tom & Mozz, Olive, our Favorite Potato & Chive, Sour Dough, Pane Di Casa to name a few.

Even today I had for lunch their Sausage and Pepper Roll with the Sausage coming from our local famous Pork Store. It was the best anywhere..

One is lucky to have such talented bakers. Baker Joe will even make a designing Roll if you wish..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

They either bake for a living or they don’t.  Fortunately we have a large Italian and Portuguese population and they demand excellent bread.  I stood in a line this AM to get my scali bread, bag of fresh bread crumbs and piece of linguica.  People are willing to wait for real quality.  The bakery I go to has been in business more than 60 years and always has a line out the door.  I consider myself blessed to have such a bakery near where I live.

We too have this bakery mentioned is three generations that started in 1930's. A truly original Italian neighbor that part surprisingly residence and part Corn Fields in Brooklyn.

Our Pizza guy actual came off the boat near where the QM2 lands in Brooklyn where Port Authority Piers use to be. And they taught other Pizza stores their tricks. Some say their Sandwich Roll are better then Stromboli because one is a Pizza Dough and other Bread like. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

They either bake for a living or they don’t.  Fortunately we have a large Italian and Portuguese population and they demand excellent bread.  I stood in a line this AM to get my scali bread, bag of fresh bread crumbs and piece of linguica.  People are willing to wait for real quality.  The bakery I go to has been in business more than 60 years and always has a line out the door.  I consider myself blessed to have such a bakery near where I live.

You are definitely blessed. I have no specialty bakery nearby at all☹️ and I was just made ware that my most very favorite rye bread is no longer being distributed. I am sooooooooooo disappointed. and now will have to go on a search to find something to replace it. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hi CGT

Happy Memorial Day.......

We too as I have said have a great bakery here too! 

Prosciutto, Lard, Sundried Tom & Mozz, Olive, our Favorite Potato & Chive, Sour Dough, Pane Di Casa to name a few.

Even today I had for lunch their Sausage and Pepper Roll with the Sausage coming from our local famous Pork Store. It was the best anywhere..

One is lucky to have such talented bakers. Baker Joe will even make a designing Roll if you wish..

Hi BB and a good Memorial Day to you and everyone here…thanking all the veterans for their service and sacrifice.  

We are so fortunate to be living in two of the great Italian centers in the USA.  The Metro Boston area is chuck full of bakeries, pizzerias, groceries, etc.  There are hidden gems everywhere.  So much so that I don’t even have to go into Boston anymore!  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

You are definitely blessed. I have no specialty bakery nearby at all☹️ and I was just made ware that my most very favorite rye bread is no longer being distributed. I am sooooooooooo disappointed. and now will have to go on a search to find something to replace it. 

OMG Lois…no rye bread??  How bad is that??  Even our grocery stores have artisan breads.  How about Trader Joe’s, Costco or Sam’s Club?  You might have to make a special trip and fill your freezer.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

OMG Lois…no rye bread??  How bad is that??  Even our grocery stores have artisan breads.  How about Trader Joe’s, Costco or Sam’s Club?  You might have to make a special trip and fill your freezer.

Good morning, oh, we have rye bread........(all kinds of it)but my particular FAVORITE NY  Jewish Rye is no longer being distributed. It was originally called NY Cobblestone Rye. The perfect texture and taste and it toasted beautifully.  All the brands on the market? I have tried many of them, Arnold, Pepperidge Farm....etc....they are just not the same as Cobblestone. Publix makes lots of their own breads but even their rye doesn't do anything for me. I might be sounding very picky and maybe I am but when it comes to my bread? I am very sad right now............Oh, I don't shop at Costco or Sam's..........so those are out.

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, oh, we have rye bread........(all kinds of it)but my particular FAVORITE NY  Jewish Rye is no longer being distributed. It was originally called NY Cobblestone Rye. The perfect texture and taste and it toasted beautifully.  All the brands on the market? I have tried many of them, Arnold, Pepperidge Farm....etc....they are just not the same as Cobblestone. Publix makes lots of their own breads but even their rye doesn't do anything for me. I might be sounding very picky and maybe I am but when it comes to my bread? I am very sad right now............Oh, I don't shop at Costco or Sam's..........so those are out.

Again we luck out in the Metro Boston area.  We have Stop and Shop, owned by a Jewish family, and their artisan rye breads are the best!

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Again we luck out in the Metro Boston area.  We have Stop and Shop, owned by a Jewish family, and their artisan rye breads are the best!

What does every one prefer............Seeds or No Seeds....

With some sandwiches Seeds add a flavor.....others don't care.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi BB, either one is fine with me.

Either one is OK with me, but, if I have a choice, I will buy a loaf with seeds.

Lois, I get frustrated when a product that I have used for years suddenly disappears, just like your favorite Rye Bread.  I keep looking/hoping.  Once, a friend who shops at a different store than I do did find one item that seemed to have become extinct.  

If you have a grocery store that is affiliated with Kroger (and I am not sure that Florida has any), I have found that their Private Selection Wide Pan Dark Rye Bread is very good and better than the name brand Rye Bread that I have longed bought.

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

, Sundried Tom & Mozz, Olive, our Favorite Potato & Chive,

If I asked about these breads at my upscale grocer, I wonder if they would know what I was talking about.  I might get the response:  "why do you want that?"  That was the response that I got when I asked their Cheese Department about the availability of a cheese that I enjoyed when I visited Tasmania.  

• Like 1

Hi rka, I have actually seen a Kroger truck in my complex (I live in a condo) making deliveries. I know there is not a Kroger nearby so this must be "delivery only". Maybe I should see what kind of minimum order you need and try their rye.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If I asked about these breads at my upscale grocer, I wonder if they would know what I was talking about.  I might get the response:  "why do you want that?"  That was the response that I got when I asked their Cheese Department about the availability of a cheese that I enjoyed when I visited Tasmania.  

So sorry to see the response from your upscale grocer. We would never get that here. Always helping above and beyond with suggestions and encouragement.

Some Fab sandwiches are made with these breads. 

Cheeses we get from vendors at the Green Market from the Hudson Valley and Conn. next door.

The best treat is the trying them from the block. From Tasty, flavorful and yes stinky.

Even Whole Foods here have an array of Cheeses for tasting with suggestions with food and wine.

Of course on this coming 14 day sailing on the QM2 I will attempt a Cheese Plate for the first time. Just don't want to over fill after a full meal. Will have the chance this July Upstate to try where we go.

• Like 1

Hi guys, rka, AND that is the BIG difference between a legit bakery/deli in a large metropolitan type city and a smaller one........and that the person who answered you has no class at all.  Why is it their business on why you like something? It is quite rude actually (in my opinion anyway).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

With some sandwiches Seeds add a flavor.....others don't care.

Scali bread needs to have the seeds…just tastes better…especially toasted.  

BB, we will want to hear all about your upcoming QM2 sailing!  When are you sailing?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Scali bread needs to have the seeds…just tastes better…especially toasted.  
BB, we will want to hear all about your upcoming QM2 sailing!  When are you sailing?

September 23 for 14 days which should expose me to main good days of cuisine of all kind. We would like to have the QM2 Upgrade Fairy gift us with an upgrade. That would expose us to the Grills which we enjoyed many times on the QE2. But the ship itself has a lot to consume from 530 AM to 2AM each day, various locations and offerings.

Talking about the bread and pastry layout is to big to post a picture. My favorite is their Pretzel Bread like I use to buy after school in the candy store. 

Their India Breads are also great. Papadums so tasty with a slight coating of oil. Naan also good.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 8:47 AM, Lois R said:

It was originally called NY Cobblestone Rye. The perfect texture and taste and it toasted beautifully.  All the brands on the market? I have tried many of them, Arnold, Pepperidge Farm....etc....they are just not the same as Cobblestone.

Lois,

Does your supermarket carry Levy's?  That may be worth giving a try (it's my favorite!)  It's a decent pullman loaf I can never seem to find.

Bechi

1 minute ago, pf778c said:

Lois,

Does your supermarket carry Levy's?  That may be worth giving a try (it's my favorite!)  It's a decent pullman loaf I can never seem to find.

Bechi

Hi, nope, have never seen Levy's anywhere in my area.

Just now, Lois R said:

Hi, nope, have never seen Levy's anywhere in my area.

Oh well.  If I ever see you on a roll call (don't know if I can afford to cruise with this new D2D nonsense!), I'll bring you a loaf. <g>

91PGlOFOPVL._SL1500_.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

September 23 for 14 days which should expose me to main good days of cuisine of all kind. We would like to have the QM2 Upgrade Fairy gift us with an upgrade. That would expose us to the Grills which we enjoyed many times on the QE2. But the ship itself has a lot to consume from 530 AM to 2AM each day, various locations and offerings.

Talking about the bread and pastry layout is to big to post a picture. My favorite is their Pretzel Bread like I use to buy after school in the candy store. 

Their India Breads are also great. Papadums so tasty with a slight coating of oil. Naan also good.

Can’t wait to hear all the food stories!  Good luck with the upgrade.

• Like 1

So sorry to see the response from your upscale grocer.

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

.and that the person who answered you has no class at all. 

I was surprised at this reaction as well.  I have found that where I live is somewhat like being in a "desert" if one wants something that can be challenging to obtain from the stores' providers.  "If the wholesalers don't have it, we can't get it" seems to be mantra.

Of course on this coming 14 day sailing on the QM2 I will attempt a Cheese Plate for the first time

I have something to look forward to for September other than my birthday!  Do you expect to try QM2's specialty restaurant?  (Use to be Todd English, but I know that has changed.)  

I have tried a Cheese Plate for dessert on occasion.  But, usually, the tummy says:  enough already!  I really have not had any of these that I prefer over a sweet or fruity dessert.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

1. I was surprised at this reaction as well.  I have found that where I live is somewhat like being in a "desert" if one wants something that can be challenging to obtain from the stores' providers.  "If the wholesalers don't have it, we can't get it" seems to be mantra.

2. I have something to look forward to for September other than my birthday!  Do you expect to try QM2's specialty restaurant?  (Use to be Todd English, but I know that has changed.)  

3. I have tried a Cheese Plate for dessert on occasion.  But, usually, the tummy says:  enough already!  I really have not had any of these that I prefer over a sweet or fruity dessert.  

1. Yes sounds like a desert. As said, they will bend over backward to get us anything. NYC the transportation Hub with road and air. Like out fish store gets fish by air everyday. They keep track of the flights and weather. Rarely disappointed. Our Dry Age comes from the same area as Lugers in KC and Nebraska.

3. Enough is Enough with My Stomach is full too. I do try to listen to hear what the choices are. Not should if time of year or what ports they pickup the cheese choices. Think there are about 5-6 with fruit.

2. My BD is also in Sept month. Unfortunately they got rid of Todd's restaurant and replaced it with a Steak House called Verandah. As Diamond level we get lunch on the house. There are also Alternate Dining in the Kings Court. Each night is a different Cuisine. Surcharge added. Never did it - not attracted since we are in a Pre Grill Dining Room. So we have to see what our plans are since we will have 12 nights (-) boarding and disembark.

I use to run a Live From On Board but the quality of the WiFi really needs to improve since it's a waste of money. Also the WiFi Plan has changed and lots don't like it. So we have to see what Notes I can take or try to post.

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately they got rid of Todd's restaurant and replaced it with a Steak House called Verandah. As Diamond level we get lunch on the house. There are also Alternate Dining in the Kings Court. Each night is a different Cuisine. Surcharge added. Never did it

I was unimpressed with Todd English.  A more interesting menu than Britannia Restaurant, but preparation was satisfactory, but, nothing really special.  Service was pretentious.  King's Court had those same special restaurants.  I shopped.  I didn't partake.  I didn't care for King's Court.  It's layout.....   I was satisfied with my dining experience in the Britannia Restaurant, particularly after my excellent table mates and me were able to get rid of two women whom our officious Assistant Maitre d' had seated there on Day 3 of the cruise of a 12 day cruise.  And, after I confronted this gentleman and expressed my tablemates and my displeasure with his "service".  

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I was unimpressed with Todd English.  A more interesting menu than Britannia Restaurant, but preparation was satisfactory, but, nothing really special.  Service was pretentious.  King's Court had those same special restaurants.  I shopped.  I didn't partake.  I didn't care for King's Court.  It's layout.....   I was satisfied with my dining experience in the Britannia Restaurant, particularly after my excellent table mates and me were able to get rid of two women whom our officious Assistant Maitre d' had seated there on Day 3 of the cruise of a 12 day cruise.  And, after I confronted this gentleman and expressed my tablemates and my displeasure with his "service".  

A man after my heart about TE. I too was not impressed w the Diamond Lunch on the QM2. I also didn't like him on TV like the Iron Chefs Show. The plating was also weird.

I like the Old Kings Court but not this one that much..

Lucky being in the Club we  experience the Pre Grill atmosphere at a table for 2. Tables are not that close so to mix is up to you to greet your neighbors with a stretch, We really were approached to sit at a bigger table.

Last sailing we did the MD a favor with a new couple sitting at a table of 6 that the other couples did not show up. They were very pleasant to talk and eat with. But for a long haul, we prefer our table for 2. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

A man after my heart about TE. I too was not impressed w the Diamond Lunch on the QM2. I also didn't like him on TV like the Iron Chefs Show. The plating was also weird.

I like the Old Kings Court but not this one that much..

Lucky being in the Club we  experience the Pre Grill atmosphere at a table for 2. Tables are not that close so to mix is up to you to greet your neighbors with a stretch, We really were approached to sit at a bigger table.

Last sailing we did the MD a favor with a new couple sitting at a table of 6 that the other couples did not show up. They were very pleasant to talk and eat with. But for a long haul, we prefer our table for 2. 

I remember Todd and his wife, Olivia, when they started their first restaurant in Charlestown, Massachusetts.  Then they separated and divorced.  Todd started his own restaurant and things went on from there.  I first met him at his original restaurant, also in Charlestown, which was very good.  He was very personable and an ambitious chef on his way up.  Now he seems to have faded into the sea…so to speak.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Thanks 1