What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

On 1/25/2022 at 7:30 PM, rkacruiser said:

To help keep this thread on track--and I can almost feel the stones starting to hit me--when I return from a cruise with lots of good food-- a McDonald's sandwich such as Fillet of Fish, Double Cheeseburger, French Fries, etc. or a Frisch's Swiss Miss Sandwich with their Onion Rings--helps to return to me to the reality that I won't be having Escargots, Medium Rare Prime Rib, Lobster Tails, or a delicious souffle of some type in the immediate future.  Or even a HAL Dive-in burger or hot dog.  

I have to side with you on this, RK.  IMO, a stop on the way home from a cruise, to have some "ordinary" food, is a way to ease back into real life.  Because of the route we take when we drive, McDonald's is our only option.  I am not a burger (or any beef) eater, but their chicken wrap does the job for me, as does a Wendy's salad with chicken.  It is now our cruise tradition.  The one we stop at is clean, friendly, and has decent restrooms.  We have a sitdown meal; have never eaten in a car, and hope to never do so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

We have a sitdown meal; have never eaten in a car, and hope to never do so. 

Sorry you don't experience the outdoor eating in a car.

It was a common thing in Brooklyn with Car Hops serving you with a tray on the window. But these places also had outside picnic benches too.

We have very few still here and also in Long Island. You do also have to agree that in the car, accidents of dropping food can happen.

On 1/30/2022 at 10:08 AM, shipgeeks said:

We have a sitdown meal; have never eaten in a car, and hope to never do so. 

Once upon a time when I was a child, my family did so.  Filled the tummy; but, not much satisfaction for anything else.  

On 1/30/2022 at 11:51 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry you don't experience the outdoor eating in a car.

If you think I am going to "dine'" in a car that cost me more than the mortgage that I paid for my condo, you are very mistaken.   

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 7:59 PM, rkacruiser said:

If you think I am going to "dine'" in a car that cost me more than the mortgage that I paid for my condo, you are very mistaken.   

okay, I won't ask how much you paid for it but I HAVE to know what kind of car it is! 🙂

pretty please!

so I guess you don't keep the grey poupon in the glove box...

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2022 at 7:03 AM, seamus69 said:

okay, I won't ask how much you paid for it but I HAVE to know what kind of car it is! 🙂

pretty please!

so I guess you don't keep the grey poupon in the glove box...

My car is a 2020 Buick Envision Premium Trim II (it has all the bells and  whistles that were then available for that model.  In order to get all of the new safety technology available, I had to purchase that trim package).

I bought my condo in 1980.  That ought to explain my comment about the cost of my mortgage.  

Regarding the jar of grey poupon, I don't think it would fit in the glove box anyway.  😃

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

My car is a 2020 Buick Envision Premium Trim II (it has all the bells and  whistles that were then available for that model.  In order to get all of the new safety technology available, I had to purchase that trim package).

I bought my condo in 1980.  That ought to explain my comment about the cost of my mortgage.  

Regarding the jar of grey poupon, I don't think it would fit in the glove box anyway.  😃

very very nice....I would have thought you would have upgraded the glove box to at least mustard jar size!  hehe

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of the car and glad you can indulge in eating your sandwiches outside it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, seamus69 said:

very very nice....I would have thought you would have upgraded the glove box to at least mustard jar size!  hehe

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of the car and glad you can indulge in eating your sandwiches outside it!

How does one "upgrade" the glove box?  😀

Prior to the arrival of Covid, I did enjoy driving the car to Florida for two HAL cruises and one MSC cruise, a return trip on the Auto Train in order to visit family in Maryland, and then home.  Since mid-March, 2020, I awaken the car from its slumber maybe twice a week.  I find it hard to believe that the odometer has yet to reach 6000 miles.  I still enjoy driving the car when I visit the grocery store, the wine store, the post office, doctors and business appointments, and the occasional patronizing of a restaurant for take-out.  Not quite the vision I had when I bought my "Envision".  

On 1/31/2022 at 7:59 PM, rkacruiser said:

Once upon a time when I was a child, my family did so.  Filled the tummy; but, not much satisfaction for anything else.  

I have been known to snack in the car on the way home from a takeout restaurant…if I’m really hungry.  I have a mini vac…just in case…lol.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How does one "upgrade" the glove box?  😀

Prior to the arrival of Covid, I did enjoy driving the car to Florida for two HAL cruises and one MSC cruise, a return trip on the Auto Train in order to visit family in Maryland, and then home.  Since mid-March, 2020, I awaken the car from its slumber maybe twice a week.  I find it hard to believe that the odometer has yet to reach 6000 miles.  I still enjoy driving the car when I visit the grocery store, the wine store, the post office, doctors and business appointments, and the occasional patronizing of a restaurant for take-out.  Not quite the vision I had when I bought my "Envision".  

We don’t drive much any more…just around town.  My car 2017 has 8,000 miles and DW 2018 has 3,000 miles…lol.  

• Haha 1

I still slave away for the man, commuting to work every day so my 2014 Camry is just over 100,000 miles.  I was thinking about retiring but with such an unstable economy, I thought it best to keep working so we can afford good sandwiches like a croque madame! (actually haven't had one of those in about 2 years...sigh).  Maybe I'll try to make one this weekend.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We don’t drive much any more…just around town.  My car 2017 has 8,000 miles and DW 2018 has 3,000 miles…lol.  

I thought my car had low miles LOL.......I have a 2017 Buick Regal and it has 19,000 miles..

You really have low miles😃

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I thought my car had low miles LOL.......I have a 2017 Buick Regal and it has 19,000 miles..

You really have low miles😃

You have to drive everywhere in Florida.  I am close to everything where I live.  The longest local ride is to the supermarket…3 miles away.  Even the airport and hospitals are less than 17 minutes away.  We also enjoy a low mileage discount on our auto insurance.  Even the Port of Boston is an easy 15 minute drive!  We love sailing from Boston. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I still slave away for the man, commuting to work every day so my 2014 Camry is just over 100,000 miles

I traded a Buick Century that had just under 100,000 miles for a Buick LaCrosse because I was concerned that, with that mileage and age, it would start nickel and diming me.  The LaCrosse gave way to the Envision because it was nickel and diming me!

It can be difficult to know when it's the right time to retire.  For me, I think I was fortunate because several factors all converged to give me assurance that it was time to "stop breathing chalk dust".  

A Croque Madame is good.  I prefer a Croque Monsieur.  Haven't had either in a long time, either.  

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It can be difficult to know when it's the right time to retire.  For me, I think I was fortunate because several factors all converged to give me assurance that it was time to "stop breathing chalk dust".  

Teacher?

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:57 AM, seamus69 said:

Teacher?

Yes.  35 years teaching early adolescents and I enjoyed doing so.  When people ask me what I did, I sometimes say that I spent 36 years in 7th Grade.  😀  I always taught at least one class of 7th Graders plus my own year in 7th Grade.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 3:32 PM, rkacruiser said:

Yes.  35 years teaching early adolescents and I enjoyed doing so.  When people ask me what I did, I sometimes say that I spent 36 years in 7th Grade.  😀  I always taught at least one class of 7th Graders plus my own year in 7th Grade.  

You probably did silly things like taught students they actually needed for life out of legitimate textbooks with no political ulterior motives.... that's so outdated now!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, erinmarie424 said:

The Kentucky Hot Brown, hands down. It’s like a sandwich and a casserole all in one. 

Hi, sounds interesting. Would you give a description of this sandwich please?

On 3/5/2022 at 12:57 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, sounds interesting. Would you give a description of this sandwich please?

The Hot Brown is an open-faced sandwich of turkeybreast or turkey breast and ham and bacon, covered in creamy Mornay sauce and baked or broiled until the breadis crisp and the sauce begins to brown 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, erinmarie424 said:

The Hot Brown is an open-faced sandwich of turkeybreast or turkey breast and ham and bacon, covered in creamy Mornay sauce and baked or broiled until the breadis crisp and the sauce begins to brown 🙂

Sounds DELICIOUS😃

• Like 1

Today I took a small steak I had cooked earlier this week and made our favorite sandwich.  When I cook steak I always cook an extra one so I can make this incredible sandwich…the steakbomb.  I take a large fry pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil, your choice, then I sauté a large sliced onion, then mushrooms and julienned peppers or vinegar peppers.  I used red vinegar peppers.  You can also add some thin sliced jalapeños for some extra fire.  Then I thin slice the cold steak and trim any fat and gristle and I cut 6 thin slices of Genoa salami into strips.  I sauté the whole mess and add garlic salt and pepper to taste.  Then I lay over thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese turn off the heat and cover the pan.  Once the cheese is melted I lay it all on a fresh sub roll.  I toasted our roll in another pan using some Olivio and two pats of butter per roll.  Once everything is lukewarm I spread some mayo on the roll.  This is better than any Philly cheese steak I have ever had!  I have never had anything like this onboard a ship.  

• Like 1