What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

39 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

This is better than any Philly cheese steak I have ever had!  I have never had anything like this onboard a ship.  

Sounds delicious, but more complex of a preparation than a ship's Galley's staff would prepare.  

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Today I took a small steak I had cooked earlier this week and made our favorite sandwich.  When I cook steak I always cook an extra one so I can make this incredible sandwich…the steakbomb.  I take a large fry pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil, your choice, then I sauté a large sliced onion, then mushrooms and julienned peppers or vinegar peppers.  I used red vinegar peppers.  You can also add some thin sliced jalapeños for some extra fire.  Then I thin slice the cold steak and trim any fat and gristle and I cut 6 thin slices of Genoa salami into strips.  I sauté the whole mess and add garlic salt and pepper to taste.  Then I lay over thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese turn off the heat and cover the pan.  Once the cheese is melted I lay it all on a fresh sub roll.  I toasted our roll in another pan using some Olivio and two pats of butter per roll.  Once everything is lukewarm I spread some mayo on the roll.  This is better than any Philly cheese steak I have ever had!  I have never had anything like this onboard a ship.  

I enjoy a simple steak sandwich with sauteed onions and mixed sauteed mushrooms on a toasted garlic bread hero.

It can be market mushrooms or a personal choice of shtiake, baby portabella and crimson sauteed with fresh from the garden English Thyme. Accomp........Homemade Potato Salad.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2021 at 5:36 PM, Seamus6 said:

sandwiches are not my go to meal on a cruise.  In fact other than a burger, I rarely have one.

Since I don't see a variety of gourmet or otherwise special sandwiches onboard a cruise ship, I thought I'd open it up to sandwiches on land as well.

I love a good cuban as well as a Banh Mi but probably one of my all-time favorites is a Croque Monsieur or better yet a Croque Madame .  I have made all of them at home.

More often than those, for simplicity's sake, I like a grilled cheese with sliced green olives on it (and some times ham).

Peanut butter and jelly

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I don’t recall ever seeing a PB&J onboard?  Now this makes me wonder…lol.

Wouldn't this be a DIY sandwich?  Gather bread and packets of PB and J, assemble.

Personally, I never heard of it as a child; tried it once in college, decided never to do so again.

But I am thinking of making a DIY BLT on my next cruise, saving some bacon from breakfast.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

As said, I saw it being made for a child on a Cunard ship. It made child and parents happy.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

As said, I saw it being made for a child on a Cunard ship. It made child and parents happy.

It would make me happy too.

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I love a PB&J made with chunky PB and strawberry jam…makes me happy too.

I'm a stick in the mud, PB w Grapes.. I also enjoy Natural PB w wine enhanced jellies or jam.

A different type of taste by interesting.

29 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I'm a stick in the mud, PB w Grapes.. I also enjoy Natural PB w wine enhanced jellies or jam.

A different type of taste by interesting.

I love grape jam and pb.........nothing stick in the mud about it😃

• Like 1

Just give me some bread and Peanut Butter and I am pleased with that at times.  It's comfort and satisfying food.

How about a "discussion" about Peanut Butter?  Chunky or not?

Peanut Butter brands?  I have tried Jiffy, Peter Pan, private label brands.  

I prefer "plain"; brand?  Peanut Butter is Peanut Butter.  No preference for a brand.  I will buy the one that is "on sale" if there is one.  If the prices are the same, which is unlikely, I prefer Peter Pan over Jiffy.  

Peanut butter:  Chunky only, please.

When I lived in Sydney, I bought my PB fresh-ground.  Take empty jar to the store, they weigh it, they grind it as I wait, they weigh it, price it accordingly.  Good.

My brother gifted me a PB maker.  It never did work, though I tried and tried.  Just one of those "gift" appliances that turn up in rummage sales.

• Haha 1

I like both kinds but usually buy smooth.  As for making PB, many stores now have the machine and the nuts and you can make your own. Yes, it is more $ since you are weighing it out by the pound but did you ever notice how expensive peanut butter is?😲

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2022 at 3:04 PM, Lois R said:

I love grape jam and pb.........nothing stick in the mud about it😃

OK…PB&J with grape jelly is good too…but it has to be Welch’s!  Definitely chunky style PB too!  On white bread only!  I guess this makes me a stick in the mud also…lol.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

OK…PB&J with grape jelly is good too…but it has to be Welch’s!  Definitely chunky style PB too!  On white bread only!  I guess this makes me a stick in the mud also…lol.

I haven't eaten white bread in many years so that is a no go for me on the bread type.

19 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

White bread for me as well.  I have tried a Peanut Butter Sandwich with whole wheat when I ran out of white bread.  Just was not the same.  I don't eat a lot of jellies, preserves, jams, but for a PB&J, Grape Jelly is required.   

Strawberry Preserves, Apricot Preserves, Orange Marmalade--all Smucker's--and Wild Alaskan Blueberry Jam are my preferred spreads.  With Peanut Butter, though, no, they don't go together well as far as I am concerned.  (In the Fall, I do like Apple Butter, I buy a jar, use some for awhile, then, I forget about it.)  

36 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I haven't eaten white bread in many years so that is a no go for me on the bread type.

Lois, we have white Italian scali bread up here and it is delicious.  I picked up a loaf this AM…at our Italian/Portuguese bakery…topped with sesame seeds and sliced.  I also got some home made linguica from the same bakery.  We are so lucky to have this bakery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We are so lucky to have this bakery.

The upscale grocer that I have and has an excellent bakery for many items and makes a variety of artisan breads has disappointed every time I have tried one of their breads.  Their croissants, on the other hand, are very good.  

25 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The upscale grocer that I have and has an excellent bakery for many items and makes a variety of artisan breads has disappointed every time I have tried one of their breads.  Their croissants, on the other hand, are very good.  

They either bake for a living or they don’t.  Fortunately we have a large Italian and Portuguese population and they demand excellent bread.  I stood in a line this AM to get my scali bread, bag of fresh bread crumbs and piece of linguica.  People are willing to wait for real quality.  The bakery I go to has been in business more than 60 years and always has a line out the door.  I consider myself blessed to have such a bakery near where I live.

• Like 1