Princess stock is going up!

CineGraphic

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

The stock going up is good if you're a shareholder, it doesn't mean the company is more profitable.

To me it's what my grandfather told me 60 years ago,  "always invest in the companies and brands that you use".  He was an advocate in people buying from people they trust and this corresponds to if you like and trust the brand, then support the brand.

We have a hundreds of shares in CCL and it isn't for the profit from the sale of the stock because as long as we are able to sail we aren't selling.  Yeah, the SHB is great and we treat like a non-taxable dividend and if CCL is able to pay a dividend that's a plus, but at the end of the day we are shareholders and loyal to the extent that we are stakeholders as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grego said:

To me it's what my grandfather told me 60 years ago,  "always invest in the companies and brands that you use".  He was an advocate in people buying from people they trust and this corresponds to if you like and trust the brand, then support the brand.

We have a hundreds of shares in CCL and it isn't for the profit from the sale of the stock because as long as we are able to sail we aren't selling.  Yeah, the SHB is great and we treat like a non-taxable dividend and if CCL is able to pay a dividend that's a plus, but at the end of the day we are shareholders and loyal to the extent that we are stakeholders as well.

Totally agree. I bought my shares when the the company was P&O Princess PLC after our first cruise in 2001. The merger with Carnival saw the share price rocket up but I didn't want to realise the huge profit and will never sell the shares, which have increased over the years with the dividend reinvestments.

I like getting on a ship and claiming I arguably own a link of the anchor chain!

45 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I like getting on a ship and claiming I arguably own a link of the anchor chain!

I think I own one of those cheesy pirate costumes you see when disembarking at a port. ☠️🦜

Edited by Daniel A
  • Haha 2

The stock took a real dive when the Black Swan appeared last year when the Grand Princess was sailing into the Port of Oakland from Hawaii. I told my wife at the time I just might become a Carnival share holder. A year later I now own lots of Carnival stock and will be willing to book one of those nice 15 day cruises to Hawaii come this fall. 

Note: the stock tried to do a pull back this Thursday but there is too much good news out there. I now am hearing Carnival might add some 10 day Alaska sailings this year. Cool!

Edited by vivian02
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go again! I guess selling 19 ships plus October 2020 / Nov 2020* / February 2021** stock offerings wasn't enough to float it through. At least the drop wasn't as drastic after this announcement***. Personally (and I've been wrong before) still expect it to recover by Y/E

*https://www.marketwatch.com/story/carnivals-stock-drops-after-proposed-15-billion-share-offering-2020-11-10

** https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation--plc-announces-offering-of-common-stock-301232779.html

*** https://www.marketwatch.com/story/carnival-says-it-may-sell-up-to-500-million-in-shares-2021-06-28

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

7.04% drop on news 🤑 thinking of rounding up to an even 500 shares

It may have dropped in concert with Disney's delay and the Princ. stock offering.  All the cruises were down.  Princess's timing of the offering is unique in that they also said they'd buy back shares.  So buying and selling.  I'm a chart guy, so I wouldn't feel right offering my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Princess's timing of the offering is unique in that they also said they'd buy back shares.  So buying and selling.

I interpret the press release to indicate they will use the money to purchase stock in one country and immediately sell it in another country where there is a price differential. They will then use those "profits" for general corporate purposes.

Not a good strategy in my opinion. They should stick to what they do best which is providing cruises, not playing tricks in the stock markets.

By the way, you can see how much they know what they are doing when you look at this sentence in the press release:

The Share Purchase Programme will run from June 28, 2021, and is currently expected to end no later than January 31, 2021.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

By the way, you can see how much they know what they are doing when you look at this sentence in the press release:

The Share Purchase Programme will run from June 28, 2021, and is currently expected to end no later than January 31, 2021.

Neat!  So my next cruise might happen last year, then.... not sure a DeLorean would be too good at sea, though....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

I interpret the press release to indicate they will use the money to purchase stock in one country and immediately sell it in another country where there is a price differential. They will then use those "profits" for general corporate purposes.

Not a good strategy in my opinion. They should stick to what they do best which is providing cruises, not playing tricks in the stock markets.

2 thoughts:

1. FOREX is a slippery slope

2. Journalist needs a proofreader 🤣

Edited by Ombud

They are not the same company after Covid and will take many years to recover financially.  Huge amount of debt that has to be re-payed and many more shares have been issued which have diluted shareholders equity.  Doesn't mean the share could not rise.  You never can judge the market but the fundamentals are not the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, franktown said:

They are not the same company after Covid and will take many years to recover financially.  Huge amount of debt that has to be re-payed and many more shares have been issued which have diluted shareholders equity.  Doesn't mean the share could not rise.  You never can judge the market but the fundamentals are not the same.

I agree.  I put in stop loss orders to protect against going into the red on RCL, CCL, & NCLH.  The big concern for me is how much their huge debt will depress earnings even when revenues return to normal.  It's going to be a battle between pricing power and servicing debt.  I'm not sure they can raise pricing enough to offset the debt obligations and/or dilution if they issue more stock to raise capital.