Flogg’n the booze package

Ragnar Danneskjold

Ok experienced Viking cruisers, what are the mixed drinks we should try on Viking?  We’ll have seven days mostly “stuck” on the ship in Bermuda.  We are mainly wine drinkers, with the occasional marg, bloody, or martini thrown in the mix.  But this cruise seems like a good one to gain breadth in our boozie pursuits.  DW will likely photograph the drinks and annoy the bartender for the recipes so she can do a little photo recipe  book for our bar.  She did that for a caribbean cruise on another line, but we spent very little time on the ship.  Hoping this book will be much thicker 🙂

Suggest away!

7 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Ok experienced Viking cruisers, what are the mixed drinks we should try on Viking?  We’ll have seven days mostly “stuck” on the ship in Bermuda.  We are mainly wine drinkers, with the occasional marg, bloody, or martini thrown in the mix.  But this cruise seems like a good one to gain breadth in our boozie pursuits.  DW will likely photograph the drinks and annoy the bartender for the recipes so she can do a little photo recipe  book for our bar.  She did that for a caribbean cruise on another line, but we spent very little time on the ship.  Hoping this book will be much thicker 🙂

Suggest away!

Papa Doble

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Suggest away!

My wife suggests Rum Swizzles and Dark and Stormy - for Bermuda of course!

• Like 1

I had the best Negroni of my life on Viking Sky. Several of them, actually. A little soda and an extra orange twist apparently made the difference, according to the bartender. 

That’s the thing about mixed drinks, though; they’re dependent on the skill of the bartender. I haven’t had a Negroni that good since.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Suggest away!

Mojito was not on the drink menu but bartender made a great one.

38 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Is Irish Coffee available?  Is it available/allowed on the Silver Spirits Package?

At all bars, by 24 hour room service, even in the dining room.  Pay as you go or it is included in the beverage package.  🍸

6 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

I've found that asking a bar tender what they like to make often expands my horizons. Let's them work to their strengths.

And you would be hard pressed to ask for any drink and stump the barman.  On the Inaugural WC there was a passenger that every evening tried to order a drink they couldn't make.  Every time I saw it the bar folks had no problem with him.  Even when he Googled different drinks, he lost....🍸

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Yes, one MUST try the fermented shark, Underberg, and oat milk blended cocktail in Iceland.  It is called the “Kleerdarüüm”. 

My husband did try the fermented shark drink in Iceland. (No oat milk.) We were with a group at a conference, and our hosts offered us this drink. My husband drank his down and said, “Not bad.” So the guy sitting next to us chugged his down, too — then turned white as a sheet and started gagging. 

Unbeknownst to him, my husband has almost no sense of taste or smell left. 😈 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

And you would be hard pressed to ask for any drink and stump the barman.  On the Inaugural WC there was a passenger that every evening tried to order a drink they couldn't make.  Every time I saw it the bar folks had no problem with him.  Even when he Googled different drinks, he lost....🍸

Ha! My husband stumped them when he asked for a Russian Quaalude. Great stuff.

• Like 1

One of my favorite drinks is a "Gangster" - it is two parts wiskey, one part sweet vermouth, one part compari, three dashs of orange bitters, on the rocks with a twist of orange peel.  I have taught a bar tender in the Viking Explorer Lounge to make it for me on every cruise.   On some cruises I did have to provide my own orange bitters but since it is always a part of my travel kit it was no problem.  On one cruise, the bartender went out and purchased a bottle of orange bitters while we were in port the day after I fist ordered it.  Typical Viking service that has me sold on them.

3 hours ago, Twitchly said:

My husband did try the fermented shark drink in Iceland. (No oat milk.) We were with a group at a conference, and our hosts offered us this drink. My husband drank his down and said, “Not bad.” So the guy sitting next to us chugged his down, too — then turned white as a sheet and started gagging. 

Unbeknownst to him, my husband has almost no sense of taste or smell left. 😈 

The herbal notes of the Underberg version “quiet” some of the ammoniated flavor of the shark.  The oat milk makes it smooth.

Everyone on the Iceland cruises should ask a bartender for one.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

22 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The herbal notes of the Underberg version “quiet” some of the ammoniated flavor of the shark.  The oat milk makes it smooth.

Everyone on the Iceland cruises should ask a bartender for one.

🤮

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I enjoyed the Rock Lobster by the infinity pool. There is also a gin drink our Scottish friends introduced me to. I’ll have to ask him what it was. 

Suffering Bastard?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I enjoyed the Rock Lobster by the infinity pool. There is also a gin drink our Scottish friends introduced me to. I’ll have to ask him what it was. 

Haha, had so many you forgot the name???  NEVER happened to me or Ragnar....🍸

15 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, had so many you forgot the name???  NEVER happened to me or Ragnar....🍸

Ha! No only had one. Didn’t like it. It was a “Suffering Bastard”. Gin, cognac/brandy, lime juice, bitters, topped with ginger beer (except my friend likes his without the ginger beer).  Maybe I would like it better with that addition?