New Vaccination policy on RCL

1 hour ago, James4me said:

Now I have never heard that.  Post your source please. 

Me.   I had both shots and still got Covid.  

Apr 21, 2021 — A small percentage of people fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will still develop COVID-19 illness.
Edited by gadaboutgal
quote source
  • Thanks 1

Frankly I don’t see how Carnival can allow sailings with unvaxxed with all of the other lines going full vaccination.  I’ll be shocked if Carnival actually goes forward with allowing unvaxxed.  My husband swore he would never sail Carnival again but just last week he said he would consider one of the new Carnival ships if they would let us sail.  We have 30 Royal cruises booked.  We’re nearly Pinnacle.  I would hate to have to switch over but I will if I have to.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Frankly I don’t see how Carnival can allow sailings with unvaxxed with all of the other lines going full vaccination.  I’ll be shocked if Carnival actually goes forward with allowing unvaxxed.  My husband swore he would never sail Carnival again but just last week he said he would consider one of the new Carnival ships if they would let us sail.  We have 30 Royal cruises booked.  We’re nearly Pinnacle.  I would hate to have to switch over but I will if I have to.

I wouldnt change over because of a as yet unknown vaccination policy. That being said like any other line there is good and bad, depends on what you like about cruising. I love the lunch choices on carnival. But not the shows. We were just talking on my roll call about the alchemy bar, which is a favorite where they have martini specials. My ship the vista has a brewery and it's own beer. I dont drink beer, but some do. Take the good and bad of each. All my favorite eating places are on vista. There is also a Havana area, if you want a private pool and bar service. Only for those who book Havana. I think the spa rooms were a success on dream class, vista has the family harbor and havanna. The new mardi gras is a LG ship and will belong to port Canaveral and has a new area, attic?  I forget, not as good of a Havana area, it's doing another new area no one has seen. Has a private cabana area to book. The mardi gras left today to come to port Canaveral and I can tell you some are excited. They are tracking the ship. LG supposed to be a cleaner fuel ship. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

What worries me about ambiguously saying in first sentence "all fully vaccinated" and then immediately saying "if not vaccinated you will need a negative test"  IS,

all of the rule breakers who will see this as an opportunity to not vaccinate .

Because as we know RCCL didn't use to enforce the rules well, on other matters.

The statement should have been .... Those under 12 need a negative test.

The issue is that not every country is at the same pace for vaccinations. I know Canada was one that was behind. I don't know where they stand now.  It should read anyone who is eligible and able to be vaccinated must be vaccinated. All others need the tests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atgood said:

In response to that, my DW asked about booking a Carnival cruise this summer.  I never thought I’d hear her talk like that.  She’s not drunk either. 

Just for fun, go to carnival site and price mardi gras. Prices are crazy. You will come running back to rcl. Price out its newest area where you get access to the new cabanas if you really want her to change her mind fast. Mardi gras makes rcl look like a bargain. Pick any date out to 2023. 

• Like 1

I don't know why so many who are concerned about the unvaccinated halting the cruise because of a break out are even booking cruises? You had to know that this would be a possibility. There was plenty of opportunity to cancel or get a refund instead of Lifting and Shifting into the unknown.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The issue is that not every country is at the same pace for vaccinations. I know Canada was one that was behind. I don't know where they stand now.  It should read anyone who is eligible and able to be vaccinated must be vaccinated. All others need the tests.

No really it shouldn't read that way. I don't care about your ability to get vaccinated if you are in the US. Everyone of an age here has the ability to get the vaccine. They are not being denied the ability to do something like work. If they do not meet the requirements for a cruise vacation.......:classic_rolleyes: Oh well. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't know why so many who are concerned about the unvaccinated halting the cruise because of a break out are even booking cruises? You had to know that this would be a possibility. There was plenty of opportunity to cancel or get a refund instead of Lifting and Shifting into the unknown.

I think the answer, for many of us, is that we aren't booking a cruise this summer unless a proof of vaccination is required, for the reason you stated.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

Yes you are right, BUT  others with the mentality of ... The rules don't apply to me, is who I was thinking of, unfortunately.

Oh relax you will be just fine

Edited by skywonder

49 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

BINGO!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

1. People who booked July 2021 US cruises a year ago didn't think that COVID-19 would still have a stranglehold on the industry. People who booked 2 years ago didn't have crystal balls to know the pandemic would even be a thing.

2. People who booked July 2021 cruises in the span of less than a year ago did so with the knowledge that vaccines were the quickest and safest path to normalized cruising (CDC CSO 95%/98% passenger/crew vaccinated). Celebrity knows this based on their health protocols in the Caribbean sailings. Royal recently sent out a marketing announcement saying that ages 12+ will need to be vaccinated starting August 1 of this year (negative COVID test for ages under 16 is no longer enough).

I agree with you that people shouldn't be concerned about the 5% of passengers who are unvaccinated if the other 95% are because the chances of a cruise-ending outbreak are incredibly low. I do understand the concern of people who have July 2021 sailings booked out of the US and don't know for sure what health protocols will be followed. There will be issues if Royal doesn't start sending announcements within the next two weeks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Sorry you got sick after getting the vaccine. I think it’s important to call out that this is a great exception to the rule and by no means the norm. The vaccines have greatly proven to both prevent people from catching and spreading covid.

Now can we get back to discussing cruising?

Not only preventing people from catching and spreading Covid, BUT, add the fact that even the breakthrough cases are less severe, and the numbers requiring hospitalizations is about 0.

Eddie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

No really it shouldn't read that way. I don't care about your ability to get vaccinated if you are in the US. Everyone of an age here has the ability to get the vaccine. They are not being denied the ability to do something like work. If they do not meet the requirements for a cruise vacation.......:classic_rolleyes: Oh well. 

Not everyone who books a cruise lives in the US and that's why it has to read the way it does although the way they worded it was ambiguous. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

1. People who booked July 2021 US cruises a year ago didn't think that COVID-19 would still have a stranglehold on the industry. People who booked 2 years ago didn't have crystal balls to know the pandemic would even be a thing.

2. People who booked July 2021 cruises in the span of less than a year ago did so with the knowledge that vaccines were the quickest and safest path to normalized cruising (CDC CSO 95%/98% passenger/crew vaccinated). Celebrity knows this based on their health protocols in the Caribbean sailings. Royal recently sent out a marketing announcement saying that ages 12+ will need to be vaccinated starting August 1 of this year (negative COVID test for ages under 16 is no longer enough).

I agree with you that people shouldn't be concerned about the 5% of passengers who are unvaccinated if the other 95% are because the chances of a cruise-ending outbreak are incredibly low. I do understand the concern of people who have July 2021 sailings booked out of the US and don't know for sure what health protocols will be followed. There will be issues if Royal doesn't start sending announcements within the next two weeks.

CDC hasn't lifted the no sail order for cruises to start out of US so there is still time to cancel. If you booked with a non refundable deposit and are that concerned about sailing with the unvaccinated than taking an FCC shouldn't be a problem  Bermuda and Nassau itineraries were scheduled after the vaccine was out so no excuse there. Again they had to know that not everyone would have access or would be willing to get the vaccine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine to cruise? What documents count as proof of vaccination? How far in advance do I need to get my vaccine?

A

For Cruises Departing from the U.S. or The Bahamas

For sailings departing on or before August 1, all Royal Caribbean guests age 16 and older must complete all doses of their COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before their sailing. For sailings departing after August 1, the age requirement for vaccination will change from 16 to 12 years of age. 

Guests under the age of this requirement don’t need to be vaccinated and will receive a SARS-Cov-2 test before boarding. If a guest younger than the age requirement happens to be fully vaccinated, they should bring their original vaccination record card to board, will not require a test, and should follow all vaccinated guest protocols throughout their vacation.

All guests must present proof of vaccination as well as all required travel documents upon arrival at the ship. Acceptable proof of vaccination must be in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by the country’s health authority or healthcare provider that administered the vaccination (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). The vaccination record submitted must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series) and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before arriving in The Bahamas or at their cruise departure terminal in the U.S.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof

so the test for kids is done on the spot? No need to scramble before my trip? Great news!

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not everyone who books a cruise lives in the US and that's why it has to read the way it does although the way they worded it was ambiguous. 

Here it is, straight from the Healthy Sail Center on Royal's website:

Royal Caribbean guests age 16 and older must complete all doses of their COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before their sailing. For sailings departing after August 1, the age requirement for vaccination will change from 16 to 12 years of age. Guests under the age of this requirement don’t need to be vaccinated and will receive a SARS-Cov-2 test before boarding. 

It says all guests must be vaccinated if they are over 16, then over 12 after August 1. So there won't be unvaccinated people on board.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Royal Caribbean guests age 16 and older must complete all doses of their COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before their sailing. For sailings departing after August 1, the age requirement for vaccination will change from 16 to 12 years of age. Guests under the age of this requirement don’t need to be vaccinated and will receive a SARS-Cov-2 test before boarding. 

It says all guests must be vaccinated if they are over 16, then over 12 after August 1. So there won't be unvaccinated people on board.

You missed the line that says that all unvaccinated guest over the age of 2 must have a negative covid test.

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You missed the line that says that all unvaccinated guest over the age of 2 must have a negative covid test.

And you missed the part that says guests 16 and over must be vaccinated... and guests 12 and over after August 1 must be vaccinated... and guests under the age of this requirement must have a negative covid test.

Edited by erinsmom03
  • Like 3

Just now, erinsmom03 said:

And you missed the part that says guests 16 and over must vaccinated... and guests 12 and over after August 1 must be vaccinated... and guests under the age of this requirement must have a negative covid test.

I didn't miss that. The point is that you don't have to be vaccinated if they are offering to let you board with a negative covid test.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Yes there will be. Anyone under 12 isn't required to be vaccinated. 

• Like 1

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

I didn't miss that. The point is that you don't have to be vaccinated if they are offering to let you board with a negative covid test.

You are missing the point. The only ones allowed on board who aren't vaccinated will be under the age of 16 or 12, depending on the date of the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1