Is Holland America Getting Ready to Raise Cost of Gratuities?

LAFFNVEGAS

This evening I was playing around with by On Line Reservation for our upcoming July 24th Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. I decided to click the tab for Pre paying Gratuities. Below is what came up... In writing it states that the gratuities are $14.50 per person per day, but in the total it states $108.50 which would be a full dollar a day for a Verandah cabin???  If they have not officially announced a change how can they charge extra?  Yet it clearly states it is $14.50 per guest per day. I definitely have no problem paying more and feel the crew will more than deserve the additional. Just very confused on what the HAL web site is showing. Then I click by each of our names, which is the first image.

image.thumb.png.e7688fa65c87ce2f2cc33bdee3166566.pngimage.thumb.png.2220eca38f462af182df0bd2d7db6003.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

This evening I was playing around with by On Line Reservation for our upcoming July 24th Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. I decided to click the tab for Pre paying Gratuities. Below is what came up... In writing it states that the gratuities are $14.50 per person per day, but in the total it states $108.50 which would be a full dollar a day for a Verandah cabin???  If they have not officially announced a change how can they charge extra?  Yet it clearly states it is $14.50 per guest per day. I definitely have no problem paying more and feel the crew will more than deserve the additional. Just very confused on what the HAL web site is showing. Then I click by each of our names, which is the first image.

image.thumb.png.e7688fa65c87ce2f2cc33bdee3166566.pngimage.thumb.png.2220eca38f462af182df0bd2d7db6003.png

HAL made a formal announcement regarding the HSC last week, now called the Crew Incentive:

Three Important Changes to Service Charge Programs

The new “Crew Incentive,” formerly Hotel Service Charge (HSC) is a daily amount for each of your clients that is automatically added to onboard accounts, recognizing the consistently outstanding contributions of our crewmembers in all departments. Starting with our return to service voyages this amount will increase from $14.50 pp/pd to $15.50 pp/pd for non-suites clients and from $16.00 pp/pd to $17.00 pp/pd for your clients in suites. The Service Charge (Beverage), formerly known as Beverage Service Charge will increase from 15% to 18% on all beverage packages and bar retail items. And, a new Service Charge (Restaurant) of 18% will be added to all specialty restaurant cover charges and all supplemental charge food items purchased in the Dining Room, Specialty Dining and through Room Delivery Service.

• Like 5

I do not understand the gratuities and service charge concept. Just give me a price for the cruise. It is false marketing to promote a price, and the add all kind of charges, that originally are hidden to the consumer. I just want to know the full price of the cruise?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, EnClair said:

I do not understand the gratuities and service charge concept. Just give me a price for the cruise. It is false marketing to promote a price, and the add all kind of charges, that originally are hidden to the consumer. I just want to know the full price of the cruise?

Agree completely!

So multiple the number of days times the daily rate and add it to the cruise and there you go.  Some lines included gratuities in the price, some don’t.  HAL is the latter, no right or wrong way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EnClair said:

Totally agree

35 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

This happens when you buy anything in the U.S. 

Does that make it right?

Europeans purchasing a HAL cruise are not buying in the U.S.  They are purchasing in Europe.  Port fees and taxes are already included in the published price, so why not gratuities?

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Does that make it right?

Europeans purchasing a HAL cruise are not buying in the U.S.  They are purchasing in Europe.  Port fees and taxes are already included in the published price, so why not gratuities?

That you would have to ask the law makers in the E.U. That is why I said when you buy it in the U.S.. In the U.S. there is no laws on what you could charge example  shipping charge  , handling charge,  trip charge, airport charge for a rental car,  office charge, A lawyer could charge for copies, Post,  I could go on and on . I agree with you every thing  should be included but I will never see that in my life time in the U.S.

46 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Does that make it right?

But port fees and taxes are disclosed separately, they are not in the advertised price.  I don’t see this as a big deal.  It’s different then Europe but that doesn’t make it right or wrong.

• Like 1

On Princess corkage for the extra wine bottles, has gone up to $20.00.  Also on Princess only 12 cans on non alcohol beverages allowed per person must be carry on, customer takes to the room. No plastic bottles allowed.   Prices for everything in general have gone up.  

The biggest change, at least for us is the 18% charge at specialty restaurants.     HAL also doesn't disclose how this 18% is handled for Mariner discounts or comped dinners.

In the past we would always leave a cash tip at the Pinnacle, Tamarind, etc., now with the addition of a mandatory service charge dinner tips could now rise to 30% or more,  which means those cash tips will probably reduce and the ultimate person negatively impacted is the server

• Like 2

Naturally HAL is increasing costs for its crusiers.  Someone has to pay for all the virus related downtime, plus demand is high right now, so "pile it on!".

I just hope that this money (at least most of it) goes to the Crew, as they certainly deserve it.  Also, adding a service charge to the specialty dining eliminates the confusion on whether or not to tip in there.  I wonder how HAL will handle it for free specialty dining perks???  Also, will they add a service  charge for the free signature beverage packages they have been promoting so much recently?

HAL needs to be very careful in how much they increase ALL the costs of cruising, as they run the risk of losing some of their clients.  This happened to us in Vegas - the costs kept going up, up, up and finally we threw in the towel and stopped going there.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, sfocruiser said:

HAL also doesn't disclose how this 18% is handled for Mariner discounts

I don't expect any change from the current system.   List Price of meal less Mariner's discount plus service charge on List Price of meal.   LP -MD + (LP x 0.18) = amount charged to folio.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

I don't expect any change from the current system.   List Price of meal less Mariner's discount plus service charge on List Price of meal.   LP -MD + (LP x 0.18) = amount charged to folio.

Except that HAL does not currently add a service charge in specialty dining PLUS when you get a free signature drink package they do not charge you the service charge.

It will be interesting.  I normally over tip on room stewards, drinks, and specialty dining, but this could get expensive quick especially the extra on specialty dining.  I just hope they don't start doing like Norwegian and adding on the gratuities for the "free" items like drink packages and dining.  On a Norwegian booking you end up paying $20 a day for the "free" drinks and about $5 a time for "free" specialty dinners.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Except that HAL does not currently add a service charge in specialty dining PLUS when you get a free signature drink package they do not charge you the service charge.

The service charge is in the price of the SBP - whether you pay for it yourself or pay for it in the price of your cruise.

I agree with @VMax1700pretty sure the service fee in the specialty restaurants will be treated the same way as when you buy a wine package.  While high ranking Mariners get the packages at a discount, they still pay the full price for the service fee.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, sassy~one said:

Hotel service charge?  Is that the gratuities from the past?  I'm confused, I have not sailed HAL in a while. Thanks so much. 

Yes, it is.  HAL changed the name to Hotel Service Charge and now are changing it again 😉. It’s all the same thing.