The Daily for Wednesday May 26, 2021

richwmn

@StLouisCruisers, I  so  hope  your  sister  will  be  encouraged  by  your  visit and that  things  will  improve. There  are  a  lot  of  us  behind  you as  well. I  will  be  thinking  of  all  of  you and  those  twin  babies!

We  have  had  a  long  day  here  and  know  a little  more. There  are  more  tests to  be  done  and we  did  find  out  that  her  difficulty  breathing  this  morning was  probably  due  to  pneumonia. Tana  informed  her  sister  in  the  car,in  traffic,  that  her  oxygen  levels  have  been  dropping. Yikes!  Our  step  grandson is  adjusting  well to  his  aunts' home  and  is  demonstrating  the  almost  teenage  ability to  eat  large  amounts  of  food.

I  can't  thank  all  of  the  kind  CC folks  enough  for  the  outpouring  of  prayers  and  support. We  are  grateful and  will  see  what  tomorrow  brings.      Terry

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers, I  so  hope  your  sister  will  be  encouraged  by  your  visit and that  things  will  improve. There  are  a  lot  of  us  behind  you as  well. I  will  be  thinking  of  all  of  you and  those  twin  babies!

We  have  had  a  long  day  here  and  know  a little  more. There  are  more  tests to  be  done  and we  did  find  out  that  her  difficulty  breathing  this  morning was  probably  due  to  pneumonia. Tana  informed  her  sister  in  the  car,in  traffic,  that  her  oxygen  levels  have  been  dropping. Yikes!  Our  step  grandson is  adjusting  well to  his  aunts' home  and  is  demonstrating  the  almost  teenage  ability to  eat  large  amounts  of  food.

I  can't  thank  all  of  the  kind  CC folks  enough  for  the  outpouring  of  prayers  and  support. We  are  grateful and  will  see  what  tomorrow  brings.      Terry

Thank goodness she got medical help for that pneumonia!  That's so dangerous.  I hope things improve soon for her and your family.

Really appreciate your kindness.  I love how much people care here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser thank you very much for your nice pictures of Guam . Hope one of these years I can have a peak at Guam myself I would like to see some of these historical sites  but I guess I would have to book a HAL World Cruise or be a trader and go with a different company .............that won't happen , too much Blue and Orange blood in my veins ! 

Tony 😉

Tony, I’m glad you liked the pictures.  Guam is a pretty island with a lot of history, both of the Chamorro people and of the invasion to liberate the island.  I’m not sure if a HAL world cruise would stop there.  Our two stops there were on one off cruises that Princess did.  

I know you don’t want to turn traitor and try another cruise line.  HAL is our favorite, but sometimes a unique itinerary comes along that is irresistible.  You would be forgiven for taking a non-HaL cruise, especially if it was labeled “research”.  😜 

Hope you make to Guam some day.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sorry your mouth is sore, but glad it won’t interfere with the upcoming final procedure.  I know you will be glad to get it over with.

You have no idea 😉  thanks.  Tuesday will be a long day with two visits of one hour each.  Yikes 😱. I’ve gone this far - I can do the rest I keep telling myself.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

You have no idea 😉  thanks.  Tuesday will be a long day with two visits of one hour each.  Yikes 😱. I’ve gone this far - I can do the rest I keep telling myself.

Be sure to have a special bottle of your favorite wine to celebrate that night or when you can have wine. 🥂🍷

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is Sally Ride Day, National Senior Health and Fitness Day, and National Paper Airplane Day

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Chicken with Rosemary and Bacon

Drink of the Day - Cran-Apple Sangria

Wine of the day - La Fontana Albarino - Spain - White

Port of the Day - Guam (US Territory) Guam

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Freeport BS eta today 2pm

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/28
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/30
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/29

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Long Beach
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0526USA.thumb.png.7f3c73b22a8b9939ed5a252790458b75.png

0526Europe.thumb.png.791f815af12891af44bd019d814d421d.png

Thanks for the Fleet reort and maps Rich.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Great group of days to celebrate.  I laughed at the quote.  Love your mind cartoon Jacqui. The meal sounds and looks delicious.  It's going to be a hot one today, will spend time in the pool.

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Cran-Apple Sangria:

Ingredients
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 large apple diced
1 cinnamon sticks
2 (750ml) bottles red wine
1 cup brandy
1 cup triple sec or orange liqueur
3 cups apple cider
2 cups cranberry juice
Instructions
In a large pitcher, add fresh cranberries, diced apple, and cinnamon stick. Pour red wine, brandy, tripe sec, apple cider, and cranberry juice over top and stir to combine.  Place in refrigerator for 3-4 hours to let flavors combine. For serving
Using a spoon or ladle, scoop out some cranberries and apples and place in wine glass.  Pour sangria over top and garnish with additional cinnamon sticks, if desired.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 6.58.31 AM.png

It looks good!

• Like 2

Thanks  for all the daily information, interesting to see the photos of Guam.

Best wishes for improvement to everyone with health issues.

There  have been another 11 new cases of Covid-19 in Melbourne since yesterday ,total of 26 cases, one is in ICU on a  ventilator, the State of Victoria will go into Lockdown at midnight for a week.  

Last night  we stayed up to see the "blood moon"  it was a clear night, the moon and stars seemed so close to earth.

Take care everyone.

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, erewhon said:

There  have been another 11 new cases of Covid-19 in Melbourne since yesterday ,total of 26 cases, one is in ICU on a  ventilator, the State of Victoria will go into Lockdown at midnight for a week.  

Last night  we stayed up to see the "blood moon"  it was a clear night, the moon and stars seemed so close to earth.

Take care everyone.

Stay safe!  Glad you saw the blood moon,  too cloudy here. 

• Like 6

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@StLouisCruisers

Sandi😢My heart is so saddened 

by the news I just read here on CC!!! OMGOSH, May GOD place his loving arms around you, your family, to you sweet sister Nancy, and give you all the strength, courage, and comfort during this trying time. I pray and hope that having you and your sister there will give her the strength and encouragement and the healing will begin! I have been in the same situation as you and  found my strength walking with God. 
You have all of us here as your support team! We help each other!

God speed and have a safe flight tomorrow!

Denise

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am going to be flying to Missouri to visit with Nancy a few days.  I'll be leaving noon tomorrow and returning Saturday evening so I may not be on here for a few days (except I will check in here in the morning).  Nan seemed to enjoy my twin's visit today.  I hope my visit will help as well.  She has been refusing her meds and food.  Given up essentially.  She dreamt her beloved late husband came for her and she wants to go be with him.  She has had enough of the hospital environment so the 2 daughters arranged for a beautiful new hospice type place where she can get "comfort care".  It has to be better than her feeling like she's in jail with one visitor per day for 4 weeks.  They only changed the rule for Nancy because she is getting dangerously close to the end with her refusals.  I've never known her to act like this so she must be desperate.  You've never met a kinder, sweeter person than she is, but she's been refusing to let any staff into her room.  Done!

Best of luck with your visit with your sister. Difficult times for you, I wish we could do more than just offer remote encouragement.

• Like 8

Good evening, all! I’m really late to the party today. Yesterday I was so late it seemed better not to post at all! Celebrating the first woman in space and paper airplanes sort of fit into a theme. I’m not sure how senior health fits in, but it’s always worth celebrating. Dinner is very close to what we had. I haven’t been to today’s port.

We were away all day yesterday, with little cell reception. I also didn’t get the planned broom clearing done, so I did extra today. By the time I was done I was much too tired and hungry and headed for the house. Looking up, I saw there was a vulture circling me high up. Seriously? I may have been tired, but it wasn’t THAT bad!

I got DD’s shawl finished. I’ll post pictures, but they really don’t do it justice. After the initial print, I was surprised that the prints were all sepia tones, except for the smaller ferns. They were light green. I gave it an after dye in lichens from our woods. The resulting background shifts colour with the light, from ivory to soft yellow to pale peach. Some of the paler prints also appear and disappear as the light changes. The bigger surprise is that the pH of the dye brought the greens back to the prints. A pH shift will do that sometimes. I will post the pictures, but they really don’t capture the shades at all.

After the initial print.

7C14C694-91D5-4A57-9795-0B46ED042E30.thumb.jpeg.aedbb011fd01817bece490b9d6b0be5c.jpeg

With the lichen after dye

4FA9F727-21FD-46D1-B010-F5932330572C.thumb.jpeg.b91dc4351bc179aca00e8138ecdccf38.jpeg

5AD42570-B83D-487F-B6AD-83F0A631FDD9.thumb.jpeg.fb8742067bfd5f1dccb69fc09679931e.jpeg

A closer match to the actual background colour

93AFC40C-4F6B-4BF2-B783-32FAA609D072.thumb.jpeg.dd36e4ad2a1b8a4918895bb9ad0c3f84.jpeg

And if anyone was confused, today was Wednesday, aboard a BHB or not!

68BFF3EC-66BC-4DE6-9CF0-300693E2161F.thumb.jpeg.a956f92696956e5e069aa405b69802a3.jpeg

• Like 19

13 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

My  DD  is bringing her  half  sister to  the  ER as  I  write  this. She is  what  is  called  a  "covid long  hauler" and  has  had  over  a  dozen  episodes  of  fevers  and  other  symptoms  in  the  last  year. She  has  only  been  able  to  work  sporadically(she  is  a  nurse) and  is  the  single  mother  of  a  12  year  old  boy. We  will  have  her  son  with  us  between  our  two  households  as  the  doctors  figure  out  what  can   be  done. Please  add  our  Tana  to  the  list. Thank  you.      Terry

I’m so sorry! Your DDs half sister is travelling a rough road. My DD in Saskatchewan is also a Covid long hauler and has been unable to work for a year now. Some of her symptoms have gotten better since she had her vaccine recently. We are hoping for,the best!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

more relaxing to get to these islands by cruise ship.

I have no doubt. A cruise that would get to Guam, or anywhere in Micronesia or the Marshall Islands, is no more in my future than an Island Hopper flight, but at least I would like the cruise and I know that I would not like that kind of flight--only once in my life have I ever flown just for the experience, and that was a 30-minute tour in a Ford Trimotor.

Since I am unable to take long cruises, I guess that I should withdraw from these threads.

• Like 4

Checking back late in the day.  @StLouisCruisers, my prayers are that your presence will give your sister the strength needed to carry on.  If not, may the visit bring you peace.  

@bennybear, how sad to lose a neighbour, and prayers for your DSIL that her cancer can be properly dealt with so she has many more happy years. 

@kazu a sore mouth is nothing to sniff at; I hope your appointment goes well. Sit back in the chair and go to the happy place in your mind (mine’s Half Moon Cay).  Keep us posted. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7

8 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
Sending extra prayers for Tana and Nancy!   Hope  it’s just a precaution Jacqui! 
What  a week,   Our elderly former long time next door neighbor passed away,  and my SIL has been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, awaiting her appointment with surgeon.   Fingers crossed it hasn’t spread!  
I’m hoping we can soon be planning other distractions! 

I’m so sorry to hear about your neighbour and your SIL. Prayers that the news is positive!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am going to be flying to Missouri to visit with Nancy a few days.  I'll be leaving noon tomorrow and returning Saturday evening so I may not be on here for a few days (except I will check in here in the morning).  Nan seemed to enjoy my twin's visit today.  I hope my visit will help as well.  She has been refusing her meds and food.  Given up essentially.  She dreamt her beloved late husband came for her and she wants to go be with him.  She has had enough of the hospital environment so the 2 daughters arranged for a beautiful new hospice type place where she can get "comfort care".  It has to be better than her feeling like she's in jail with one visitor per day for 4 weeks.  They only changed the rule for Nancy because she is getting dangerously close to the end with her refusals.  I've never known her to act like this so she must be desperate.  You've never met a kinder, sweeter person than she is, but she's been refusing to let any staff into her room.  Done!

Sandi, I’m glad you are able to see your sister, but sorry for the reason for your visit. For so much of the past year a visit would not have been possible. My prayers that your visit brings her strength, whatever she chooses to do with it.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I have no doubt. A cruise that would get to Guam, or anywhere in Micronesia or the Marshall Islands, is no more in my future than an Island Hopper flight, but at least I would like the cruise and I know that I would not like that kind of flight--only once in my life have I ever flown just for the experience, and that was a 30-minute tour in a Ford Trimotor.

Since I am unable to take long cruises, I guess that I should withdraw from these threads.

No need to withdraw from these threads.  You have information and ideas to add to the conversation.  You can enjoy a port through all the pictures those of us fortunate enough to be able to take long cruises share.  This ia a community that welcomes everyone.

Lenda

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good evening, all! I’m really late to the party today. Yesterday I was so late it seemed better not to post at all! Celebrating the first woman in space and paper airplanes sort of fit into a theme. I’m not sure how senior health fits in, but it’s always worth celebrating. Dinner is very close to what we had. I haven’t been to today’s port.

We were away all day yesterday, with little cell reception. I also didn’t get the planned broom clearing done, so I did extra today. By the time I was done I was much too tired and hungry and headed for the house. Looking up, I saw there was a vulture circling me high up. Seriously? I may have been tired, but it wasn’t THAT bad!

I got DD’s shawl finished. I’ll post pictures, but they really don’t do it justice. After the initial print, I was surprised that the prints were all sepia tones, except for the smaller ferns. They were light green. I gave it an after dye in lichens from our woods. The resulting background shifts colour with the light, from ivory to soft yellow to pale peach. Some of the paler prints also appear and disappear as the light changes. The bigger surprise is that the pH of the dye brought the greens back to the prints. A pH shift will do that sometimes. I will post the pictures, but they really don’t capture the shades at all.

After the initial print.

7C14C694-91D5-4A57-9795-0B46ED042E30.thumb.jpeg.aedbb011fd01817bece490b9d6b0be5c.jpeg

With the lichen after dye

4FA9F727-21FD-46D1-B010-F5932330572C.thumb.jpeg.b91dc4351bc179aca00e8138ecdccf38.jpeg

5AD42570-B83D-487F-B6AD-83F0A631FDD9.thumb.jpeg.fb8742067bfd5f1dccb69fc09679931e.jpeg

A closer match to the actual background colour

93AFC40C-4F6B-4BF2-B783-32FAA609D072.thumb.jpeg.dd36e4ad2a1b8a4918895bb9ad0c3f84.jpeg

And if anyone was confused, today was Wednesday, aboard a BHB or not!

68BFF3EC-66BC-4DE6-9CF0-300693E2161F.thumb.jpeg.a956f92696956e5e069aa405b69802a3.jpeg

The shawl is fantastic.  Your DD will love it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

No, no, NO!!  Do not leave us! I don’t take longer cruises, the longest I’ve done is 12 days.   I would love to do longer but it hasn’t happened for us yet, however we have a 14 day in December, so excited!

We are a HAPPY place for everyone!!!

• Like 10

8 hours ago, erewhon said:

Take care everyone.

Oh dear, that is sad as Australia has been doing so well 😔 

Stay safe and well.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Absolutely NOT! Lots of people don’t take long cruises.  You cruise and enjoy cruising - that’s all that’s required to be on the forum and on this thread in particular.  

• Like 4