Don't-miss Cunard traditions?

TouchstoneFeste

My wife and I will be taking our first voyage on Cunard (indeed, only our second cruise overall) about a year from now, and I've been making some postings which I've realized make me look like a grumpy old man. Well, that would in fact be accurate, but it's not the impression I'd like to leave. So here's a question on a happier topic:

I noticed a post recently which mentioned the Cunard teddy bears. Apparently some people get a new one annually?

What's your favorite don't-miss Cunard tradition?

25 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

My wife and I will be taking our first voyage on Cunard (indeed, only our second cruise overall) about a year from now, and I've been making some postings which I've realized make me look like a grumpy old man. Well, that would in fact be accurate, but it's not the impression I'd like to leave. So here's a question on a happier topic:

I noticed a post recently which mentioned the Cunard teddy bears. Apparently some people get a new one annually?

Getting on board, dropping off carry-ons then checking out a favorite spot (we have several) for sail away — varying depending on the weather.

p.s. As long as you are creatively grumpy - about things which bother other people - you might make an enjoyable dinner table companion.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

Here's a few I'll contribute. Some of these are specific to QM2 crossings. From your posting history it looks like you will be on a QM2 crossing.

Visiting the kennels when the dogs are out exercising.

Watching the noon bell ringing in the Grand Lobby and listening to the captain's noon announcement.

Having a pub lunch in the Golden Lion.

Enjoying a Godiva ice cream sundae in Sir Samuels.

Attending as many of the Insights lectures as possible.

Visiting the library and sitting in one of the comfy chairs with a view out to sea over the bow.

Sitting in one of the chairs at a window along a lower deck forward to watch the sea go by from close to sea level.

Making at least one complete circuit of the promenade deck at some point.

Riding the scenic lift.

Visiting the bridge viewing area.

Finding Homer Simpson.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Getting on board, dropping off carry-ons then checking out a favorite spot (we have several) for sail away — varying depending on the weather.

Ditto navybankerteacher,

We too have embarkation thrills that start from leaving our home 12 minutes away from Bklyn Cruise Terminal. Knowing it's really happening and we are on our way. Rounding that final right turn and seeing the QM2 in full view, not a dream anymore.

Walking the final gangway and seeing the Lobby it's really happening. It's like we were just on board not that long ago.

Seeing the cabin prepared just for us with the Champagne and Chocolate Coated Strawberries welcoming us. That knock on the door and being welcomed by our Cabin Attendant that will serve our needs.

Just walking thru the hallways to dine and seeing all those familiar sights we have become accustomed too. Even though Kings Court is very busy, we will make due since there will be many more days to come.

Taking back our Life Jacket after the drill we head to Deck 13 to experience the Majestic Vessel departing the pier. Once she starts heading for the VZ Bridge it true, we are truly part of this Adventure we looked forward to from the day we booked.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Dancing! If you don’t know how, I encourage you to take a few lessons. We had only 3 months of lessons under our belts when we took our first crossing, and we had no trouble on the dance floor. Now we have 3 years of lessons and we’re gonna dance our respective posteriors off.

Afternoon tea. We will be skipping the sandwiches and going directly to scones, clotted cream and jam.

Cribbage in the hallway on deck 2, right above the water.

524 days and counting...

• Like 1

Adding to what Bluemarble said, I'd add afternoon tea in the Queen's Room, curling up in a corner in the Carinthia Lounge to read a book or knit on one of the projects that I brought, and noshing on one of the delightful breakfast or lunch bites that are on the mini buffet there.  

Coming into the Britannia Restaurant on a gala night, seeing all of the gorgeous clothes and smiling faces, taking a deep breath, and realising that I'm home. 

• Like 5

Watching darts in the Golden Lion! We stumbled upon those intrepid darters while we were enjoying some 11 o'clock bloody marys. We don't participate, but it's sure fun to watch and enjoy their enthusiasm! 

definitely afternoon tea

going to a play if there is one in the afternoon

morning coffee in the front of the windows in the Commodore Club

and one we'll probably never experience again but would love to - a Canadian gentleman playing the bagpipes as we set sail from New York on our TA honeymoon crossing - complete goosebumps time. 

• Like 2

Most of the things on my must-do list have already been covered by the various contributors (a downside of participating from the opposite side of the planet here in Australia).  The one item I'd add is getting up just before first light, getting a cup of coffee, and going outside to watch the sunrise over a clear ocean horizon.  It is my favourite time of the day aboard.

• Like 4

My above statement was about my first impression in the minutes and hours of embarkation.

I too agree with the other items mention that happen during the sailing over the days on board.

So interesting to see the different things that passengers look forward as don't miss traditions.

I think the #1 thing in all is Not To Miss The Opportunity to Sail on a Cunard Vessels.

• Like 1

My additions are:

Watching the sea from the Deck 3L gangway windows as it crashes by the ship

Relaxing on the loungers by the pool on deck 12 listening to Vibz or Purple Haze pre lunch

5 o'clock drinks in the Commodore Club

• Like 1

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

p.s. As long as you are creatively grumpy - about things which bother other people - you might make an enjoyable dinner table companion.

What are some good places for sail away? Why is it weather-dependent? We'll be departing from Brooklyn; we have an upper deck starboard cabin, if that makes any difference.

And I will certainly strive for creative grumpiness on the crossing.

18 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a few I'll contribute. Some of these are specific to QM2 crossings. From your posting history it looks like you will be on a QM2 crossing.

Your list sounds very inviting.

Yes, the May 1, 2022, crossing from New York to Southampton. Originally, the idea of the crossing arose as we realized it would be a way of avoiding jet lag (and more tranquil than air travel), but reading this forum, viewing the Youtube videos, etc., have made us very excited about the crossing itself. In particular, we are folks who enjoy dressy occasions, music and theater.

1 hour ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

What are some good places for sail away? Why is it weather-dependent? We'll be departing from Brooklyn; we have an upper deck starboard cabin, if that makes any difference.

And I will certainly strive for creative grumpiness on the crossing.

The good places for sailaway (especially from Brooklyn) are weather-dependent because the best ones are out on the open decks. I like to start on deck 8 aft for the sailaway party where you can join in some of the revelry and get a great view of the Manhattan skyline and the Statue of Liberty.

Then not too long after departure it's time to move all the way up to the top deck for the traditional viewing of the ship passing under the Verrazano Narrows bridge with the funnel clearing the bridge by only a few meters. The best spots for that are a raised platform forward of the funnel (which tends to fill up fairly quickly) and the walkway around the area above the deck 13 forward cabins.

Edit to add: An upper deck starboard cabin is great for viewing the Statue of Liberty from the comfort of your balcony during a sailaway from Brooklyn.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sfred said:

…The one item I'd add is getting up just before first light, getting a cup of coffee, and going outside to watch the sunrise over a clear ocean horizon.  It is my favourite time of the day aboard.

Sunrise at sea is reason enough to cruise.9ECDBBD3-E86E-449E-97D5-79BDC56F95E2.thumb.jpeg.7ed4ba8143c08af32333f24f8f9351c2.jpeg

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 4

Carinthia Lounge Dixieland concerts

Room service breakfast - at least once

Establishing rapport with the sommelier/bar waiter so your dinner drinks appear by magic

Sequence dancing - if you've never seen it, you need to check it out

The Morning Show (continuously on TV from 6 AM until noon) - not all of the content is great, but there's always something useful or interesting

Cocktail class in the Commodore Club

After dinner cheese in the buffet

Strings in Britannia on formal nights

12 hours ago, rakkor said:

My additions are:

Watching the sea from the Deck 3L gangway windows as it crashes by the ship

Relaxing on the loungers by the pool on deck 12 listening to Vibz or Purple Haze pre lunch

5 o'clock drinks in the Commodore Club

Ditto to all..

You know that the ship has a good musical group when you can remember the names. Listening to them on Deck 12 Pool area with a Pina Colada in hand....

7 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Yes, the May 1, 2022, crossing from New York to Southampton. Originally, the idea of the crossing arose as we realized it would be a way of avoiding jet lag (and more tranquil than air travel), but reading this forum, viewing the Youtube videos, etc., have made us very excited about the crossing itself. In particular, we are folks who enjoy dressy occasions, music and theater.

It really is a fabulous experience. 

I did my first TA because I'm a history buff, and the idea of crossing the Atlantic the 'way' that my ancestors did (albeit significantly more comfortably) appealed to me. 

Then I fell in love with the whole experience. 

I'll be disembarking the day that you're getting on board next year - I'm sure I'll be passing her into good hands!

4 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

I always enjoyed morning watches on the bridge.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Same here --- of course, it was also good when someone else had the watch.

Yes.....

Naval Board of Inquiry:  "Why did you ground your ship on the sandbar?

OOD:  "I was busy watching the sunrise."  😎

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Taking back our Life Jacket after the drill we head to Deck 13 to experience the Majestic Vessel departing the pier. 

No need to take Life Jackets to the drill anymore - this stopped at some point in 2019.

Due to ill health and then the pandemic it has been over 3 years since we last sailed with Cunard but we've just booked a cruise on the Elizabeth which is still 14 months away.  I've enjoyed reading the comments in this thread as it reminds me of all the wonderful things we've done in the past and added a couple of new(ish) ones to the 'to do' list.

BTW, a tradition carried on by DH is to gently fall asleep in the Commodore Club with a request to only be awoken if he starts snoring!!!!  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1