The Daily for Thursday May 27, 2021

richwmn

We were in Fukuoka with the Volendam in 2017 but because we were shanghaied in Shanghai  ( The authorities kept the Volendam completely locked up in port for an extra fourth day which is a long story for another day , we could not get off the ship that day  ) so we missed being on a Cooking and Walking tour that I had booked for Oct 30th and instead on Nov 1st did an organized small group walking tour and went exploring on our own for the afternoon  . 

We started the walking tour from the Nakasu subway station and visited the Jotenji Temple , the Tochoji Temple , the Hakata Folk Museum and the Kushida Shrine .

IMG_6122.thumb.jpg.055ee347370fa1d735afaa8a13df230a.jpg

DSCN5093.thumb.JPG.dbc75f6ad810e13c80d92f2d76846824.JPG

722719016_DSCN50992.thumb.JPG.0e4b53b2bb7097000188829218a417f1.JPG

DSCN5102.thumb.JPG.1fae3ee291744236aef724fe10c43c19.JPG

DSCN5104.thumb.JPG.5cdd52648ed305a101e718ae33010829.JPG

DSCN5110.thumb.JPG.26457248ebe32eda453aea07601f1b1e.JPG

DSCN5118.thumb.jpg.da2953086b54c8303a5f7d8f4966b0c9.jpg

2062025313_DSCN51212.thumb.jpg.c8de935d2081361f8ae901357c2d3044.jpg

987384079_IMG_61343.jpg.bb2c1f33efb7639346f551f766ccd9f1.jpg

Mom who are those strangers ……….. the little girl actually started to cry ......

DSCN5134.thumb.JPG.25ed84f188b0110483cf0a7d715555ca.JPG

After a nice Japanese lunch we went exploring on our own by subway to the beautiful Ohori Park and the Japanese Gardens …….. had to ask for instructions to get on the subway in sign language ………it was surprising to me how few Japanese people speak any English .

IMG_6139.thumb.jpg.9eddebc6ca1d26d75f868b3f7ab5ef99.jpg

We did it ….

DSCN5157.thumb.JPG.ba6291aa5b2b29117a21f0d9af085f72.JPG

DSCN5162.thumb.JPG.97d436adf8bc5b22d6a12905a6ab7283.JPG

DSCN5176.thumb.jpg.fb97f1c162fd744c063c2afacc9296ea.jpg

Young lady celebrating a very special occasion in the Japanese Garden it was a special birthday or graduation .

DSCN5160.thumb.jpg.335e0d7e0e44a7a7c2a0e0068ef85156.jpg

DSCN5173.thumb.JPG.c3b97d42a2542d3b7d23e12e7c3330f2.JPG

DSCN5185.thumb.jpg.7eaf16fefdff9085898f0990c7dced3e.jpg

…..and a very nice day was had by all , despite  this major change in our schedule .

DSCN5187.thumb.JPG.7ae24d372ec73e6ff753f9f06627364d.JPG

Their husbands were also on my tour , but I  thought this was a nice picture ! 

Tony 😃😉
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

So you were on the Volendam.  I was right behind you on the Amsterdam, getting worried because our next port was Hong Kong and I had to fly that day to Rome to catch the Prinsendam.  Fortunately, Captain Fred really put the pedal to the medal and I made my flight with no problems.

Roy

• Like 18

Deeniencinitas - DH did not use a cell phone - it was 2014 and we weren’t there yet with cell phones for photos. He is thinks he used a Canon all in one super zoom camera - but he is actually not sure. 

oops - DH looked up the photos and now thinks he used a Panasonic all in one super zoom. Sorry for the confusion. 

Edited by arzz
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I had a surprise in the garden the other day.  My cousin in Vancouver sent over an iris last year, and I thought it was supposed to be yellow - it is definitely not yellow!  But it does match my alliums...

IMG_5721.thumb.JPG.e242cfec85160722b9379cd3c18d1b4e.JPG

The eaglets appear to have "launched" - they have not been seen for a few days and Harriet and M are now empty nesters!

1880873933_ScreenShot2021-05-26at9_50_32AM.thumb.jpeg.2bb0891a80fb8a5dec665b8433a7173a.jpeg

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 28

Good morning everyone and Happy Thursday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thanks to Jacqui and Roy for the lists. I think @cat shepard said it best about how we all feel here and I’ll echo her sentiments. 

Peaches make me think of my DM, she absolutely loves them.  I’ll have to check the next time I’m at TJ’s for her. 

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures of today’s port. I’ll probably never get to Japan. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Typo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, arzz said:

Deeniencinitas - DH did not use a cell phone - it was 2014 and we weren’t there yet with cell phones for photos. He is thinks he used a Canon all in one super zoom camera - but he is actually not sure. 

oops - DH looked up the photos and now thinks he used a Panasonic all in one super zoom. Sorry for the confusion. 

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Thanks so much! I also love photography and enjoy taking pictures!

Denise😊

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kazu said:

That will be one challenging year.  I’ve been in those shoes except we had to find a new shelter and renovate it.  

Hope you have some workers on your board that will give you lots of support 🤞 Good for you for taking on the challenge!  👍 

I am very lucky there.... we have one gentleman who is knows a lot about construction and knows the questions to ask and even better for me,  understands the answers. Right now my main function seems to be concentrating on how to do it with the least disruption to the animals. We will be doing the work in phases. And getting a handle on those will be a real challenge.

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

So you were on the Volendam.  I was right behind you on the Amsterdam, getting worried because our next port was Hong Kong and I had to fly that day to Rome to catch the Prinsendam.  Fortunately, Captain Fred really put the pedal to the medal and I made my flight with no problems.

Roy

There you are Roy @rafinmd The Volendam is up front here and the Amsterdam behind her , she was on the special  2017 Grand Pacific & Far East Voyage ! 

DSCN4984.thumb.JPG.8f40996962fad8e8ed8fc3418fa90715.JPG

DSCN5039.thumb.JPG.b66bbc4ff82d439cf20831fb2c2e433e.JPG

You were allowed to leave first …………going backwards for a mile or so 

DSCN5049.thumb.JPG.0ed2901c36304853fb13fcd66033fec9.JPG

To than start to make the turn where the river is wider 

DSCN5053.thumb.JPG.e29ec5cb44535ade37931d845606a750.JPG

Here are we leaving also being guided backwards by the tug 

DSCN5060.thumb.JPG.ead45301e4c86c450507e8f9e8ffe48b.JPG

……and fitting just under the bridge 

DSCN5070.thumb.JPG.3629e0adec7c9fa39276ba1fe407b066.JPG

Captain Christopher Turner was not a very happy man with what had happened in Shanghai with the authorities and the pilots …….

DSCN5200.thumb.JPG.19935fdd79a6c927891a88838272f44a.JPG

But he took us out for dinner a few days later  ! We loved Captain Chris wonderful man and a great Captain !

Tony 😃
  • Like 24

1 hour ago, arzz said:

Lindaler - DH is the photographer which is why I don’t always have photos to post. Depends on whether or not we take the time in the evenings while cruising to Bluetooth photos over to my device. 

I will pass on the compliment. Thank you. 

But as I just responded to Linda’s comment - you have a gift for the written word!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Good morning! A nice and bright sunny morning here today.  The kids will need sunscreen to play outside.....and a jacket, since it's gone from high 20º to mid teens today.

My godparents had a player piano when I was little. So much fun! I got my exercise pedaling that thing!

I love the quote, and it is a reason that we cruise. Hubby would be happy to stay home watching t.v. but I want to experience new things. Luckily, he doesn't complain when I drag him along.

We are celebrating the quick, and healthy birth of our granddaughter very early Tuesday morning. She came at 36 weeks, but appears to be none the worse for wear. This son lives just 2 km from us and they are doing renovations to the house, so the family (including 3yo grandson and Bernese Mountain dog) will be spending lots of time here for a few weeks. ❤️  Another granddaughter, turning 2 next week, was also born at 36 weeks. She is now in the 90th percentile, so is a model for her tiny cousin to aspire to. I think that I'll be able to get my steps in!

Prayers for those on the prayer list. and cheers for those on the celebration list. Raising my glass to those who make this a safe place to travel every day. Blessings to all.

Thank you for sharing your joyous news! I will toast you & your clan tonight!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Is this the house you just moved out of?

Roy

Good memory, Roy! Yes! The house is dated, and they are in the midst of removing all popcorn ceilings, updating the brass fireplace, changing all the trim and doors from wood grain to white, painting throughout, replacing the carpet and in the summer, new windows on the back (we did the front 18 months ago). The BIG renovation of kitchen and primary ensuite will be next year. Good thing they got a great deal on the place. LOL

• Like 16

4 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

We truly are connected Joy!!

Have a good day

Denise😊

Denise, your late post last night to Sandi needs another mention...

Sandi😢My heart is so saddened 

by the news I just read here on CC!!! OMGOSH, May GOD place his loving arms around you, your family, to you sweet sister Nancy, and give you all the strength, courage, and comfort during this trying time. I pray and hope that having you and your sister there will give her the strength and encouragement and the healing will begin! I have been in the same situation as you and  found my strength walking with God. 
You have all of us here as your support team! We help each other!

God speed and have a safe flight tomorrow!

Denise

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

I am very lucky there.... we have one gentleman who is knows a lot about construction and knows the questions to ask and even better for me,  understands the answers. Right now my main function seems to be concentrating on how to do it with the least disruption to the animals. We will be doing the work in phases. And getting a handle on those will be a real challenge.

Oh that is wonderful!!!

I know you will find the best way to least disrupt the animals.  

I am a big fan and supporter of the Humane Society / SPCA.  So worthwhile and needed.  Kudos to you.

• Like 10

Good Morning all!

A quick check in today as I am off to visit the neurologist for a bright and early appointment. More tests (and maybe some blood work) because the drug trial is completely separate from my regular visits and they do not share all the results across the line ☹️.

Rain is in our forecast which we can use, but always keep the fingers crossed for no severe weather.

When I was growing up we used suntan lotion to help us get tan, little did we know. The old time player pianos are neat looking, the new style player pianos are all high tech. I try not to be fearful, but....

Haven’t been anywhere in Japan, bring on the pictures.

Yum, peaches. Best thing for us is to go to Eckerts Orchards, not far from me, and pick them right off the tree (no charge for the ones you eat while picking).

Be back later, have a great day.

St Louis Sal

• Like 13

Speaking of sunscreen. We always buy some when the shops open onboard. Yes call us wacky but we like the Australian Gold SPF50 lotion they have. We can find the 15 and 30SPF around just not the 50. Of course you can always find it on Amazn. I guess you'd call it one of our rituals for cruising on HAL.

• Like 11

I apologize if I posted twice today already. I thought I posted early this morning, but it showed my post had just been saved.

We made it back from my hospital appointment, late breakfast/early lunch and a round of errands right before the rains came. Hope Sandi had her umbrella with her when she arrived in St Louis. We are having a major thunderstorm right now, Fritz has burrowed under some covers and is whimpering a bit, he hates thunder.

Good news/bad news from my checkup. Right leg is getting weaker, some beginning weakness in left leg and a little weakness in my right hand. Everything else is stable. Good news is I am a pulmonary star (have been told I’m full of hot air 😂). My lung power was off the charts (literally set off the computer, it began dinging). Voice is still doing very well. No shutting me up for now!

Checked Eckerts and they are still picking strawberries now, no peaches yet. We picked up some supposedly homegrown peaches at our local Fresh Thyme but they were not good ☹️.

Take care,

St Louis Sal

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

There you are Roy @rafinmd The Volendam is up front here and the Amsterdam behind her , she was on the special  2017 Grand Pacific & Far East Voyage ! 

DSCN4984.thumb.JPG.8f40996962fad8e8ed8fc3418fa90715.JPG

DSCN5039.thumb.JPG.b66bbc4ff82d439cf20831fb2c2e433e.JPG

You were allowed to leave first …………going backwards for a mile or so 

DSCN5049.thumb.JPG.0ed2901c36304853fb13fcd66033fec9.JPG

To than start to make the turn where the river is wider 

DSCN5053.thumb.JPG.e29ec5cb44535ade37931d845606a750.JPG

Here are we leaving also being guided backwards by the tug 

DSCN5060.thumb.JPG.ead45301e4c86c450507e8f9e8ffe48b.JPG

……and fitting just under the bridge 

DSCN5070.thumb.JPG.3629e0adec7c9fa39276ba1fe407b066.JPG

Captain Christopher Turner was not a very happy man with what had happened in Shanghai with the authorities and the pilots …….

DSCN5200.thumb.JPG.19935fdd79a6c927891a88838272f44a.JPG

But he took us out for dinner a few days later  ! We loved Captain Chris wonderful man and a great Captain !

Tony 😃

Thanks for the pic of Captain Chris Turner.  I met him onboard the Zaandam returning from South America to San Diego.  We talked like we had known each other for years and i saw in him a dedicated Holland America employee and very decent person.  

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Thanks for the pic of Captain Chris Turner.  I met him onboard the Zaandam returning from South America to San Diego.  We talked like we had known each other for years and i saw in him a dedicated Holland America employee and very decent person.  

I agree fully  Captain Turner was always seen going around the ship , chatted with  the guests if he was approached and noticed almost everything if something was  just not right  and had it corrected .  We have had the pleasure of being on 4 cruises with him on 4 different ships and besides a couple of dinners had some nice chats . When in port and if he had a chance he used to love going for a long run. . 

• Like 10

Some gardening stuff accomplished: raised bed built, filled and planted. Building is the most difficult part, since I have little spatial intelligence, but filling is harder work, because it entails schlepping bag after bag of planting mix from the garage to the site. The bed is in part sun and is planted with Dicentra spectabilis (bleeding heart), Campanula persicifolia (peach-leafed bellflower), and Ligularia 'Britt-Marie Crawford.'

Added plants to a new pseudo-woodland garden in a spot with somewhat less sun: Delphinium exaltatum, Actaea rubra and pachypoda (red and white baneberry), Polygonatum biflorum (Solomon's seal). These are all native to the region, as is Mertensia virginica (Virginia bluebell), already planted. As predicted, it immediately went dormant. There also Primula 'Supernova,' which is not even native to this continent. What all of these have in common, in addition to growing in more shade than sun, is that Bambi and Peter Cottontail usually don't eat them.

And I harvested some of my second edible crop of the season (asparagus was first).

1379906595_RadishesFB.jpg.8176534edd7068b303b74b44bc93e480.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

. Everything else is stable. Good news is I am a pulmonary star (have been told I’m full of hot air 😂). My lung power was off the charts (literally set off the computer, it began dinging). Voice is still doing very well. No shutting me up for now!

Well that is good news.  You just keeping bellowing, we are praying for your health. 

• Like 10

Dr. Bonnie announced this afternoon that second doses are being moved up to about 8 weeks, so I keep checking my email to see if we have invitations to book!  Very exciting.  I will soon be ready to cruise.😄

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1