The Daily for Saturday May 29, 2021

richwmn

45 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Any details on the dress? Looks c 1840?

Good guess!  It was one of Queen Victoria’s dresses in her younger years so you might me about right,  it was the 200 th anniversary of her birth in 1819.  I enlarged the original and the sign says 1831 to1832 her oldest surviving dress.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

No gardening today. The rain has stopped for a bit, but the ground is too wet for digging.

I've never been to the U.K. on a cruise, but I've traveled there several times by air. The most memorable trip as a whole was the first, when I rented a car twice for garden touring. A friend who was working in London met me in Rye for gardens in the southeast. Driving with her took patience. She was always crying out, "We should be there by now! We're lost!" She had no sense of how slowly I was driving, in country lanes so narrow that oncoming traffic couldn't pass and one driver or the other had to back up to a wide place.

We had a particularly good time visiting Battle. The obvious reason to go there is the ruin of Battle Abbey, built where the Battle of Hastings actually took place, but the good time was from the village pub. The landlord mentioned having a stock of very old ginger beer and opened some for us, first putting on his volunteer firefighter gear in case it exploded. No pictures as that was before digital photography.

However, the trip I most recommend from London is to Bletchley Park, the site of the codebreaking work during World War II. It has been dramatized in more than one film, but it is well worth visiting in person, and the gate is visible from the Bletchley rail station, which is an easy trip from Euston.  I do have digital photos but can't find them, so here are some from Wikimedia.

220px-Hut-1.jpgBletchley Park Mansion.jpg220px-RebuiltBombeFrontView.jpg

Yes it is absolutely stunning!   I also strongly recommend the Imperial War museum,  complete with a full size Harrier inside! 

A28F3DEB-0BB0-4E14-9A6C-B2F80F31A295.jpeg

B120237D-CF63-4B8B-82ED-29F18565CB51.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

It’s our anniversary today, and dine in is allowed as of Tuesday just past, so we are going out for dinner for the first time in months!

Happy Anniversary!!!! 🥂 👏 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Jacqui, @kazu, DD's favourite deer deterrent plants are alliums - I'm not sure it works, but we do have a lot now, interspersed among the other plants.  

I like those too, Ann.  They don’t work in the side gardens as they don’t get enough sun for them.  I’ve tried.  They work great in the front garden so far.

• Like 7

Happy Anniversary @Horizon chaser 1957

There are 3 main ports for London, Tilbury, Dover, and Southampton and I've been to all 3 but only Tilbury on a BHB.  I've used Southampton many times, all but once with Cunard.  Most recent was May 2019 when I returned from my Nieuw Statendam Transatlantic.  I disembarked NS in Amsterdam, then took Queen Victoria Kiel to Southampton and finally QM2 to New York.

There are 4 cruise terminals in Southampton, Queen Elizabeth and Ocean on the East side (Red C and D on the map) and Mayflower and City on the West (Red A and B).  A 5th ship can be accommodated between the Mayflower and City terminals:

xsouthampton_cruise_terminals_map.png.pa

On that day Queen Victoria came in to Queen Elizabeth terminal (C) and QM2 was at Ocean terminal (D).  Physically, the 2 ships were pretty close together (with a car carrier in between) but it was quite a walk by road.

meetingd.JPG.1593c853cc043323b5e75682fbea4591.JPG

Southampton was the starting point for Titanic's voyage, and there's a monument near the port entrance:

titanic.jpg

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

🚢From Princess Cruises:

It is with sadness felt to the depth of the oceans that we mourn the passing of actor Gavin MacLeod, our beloved global ambassador, dearest friend, and treasured member of the Princess Cruises family for more than 35 years.

From his 10 seasons starring as Captain Merrill Stubing on the hit TV show The Love Boat, and for more than 3 decades after, Gavin enthusiastically shared his passion about the joys and adventures of exploring the world while cruising. He always reminded us that, like the popular TV series, “cruising gives people something to dream about.”

All of us send our heartfelt condolences to his entire family, and offer our sincerest gratitude to them for sharing Gavin with all of us for so many years. https://*****/3c4LsuN

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Good evening all,, I did make it to both fire company dinners. takeout from both.

This is a major fundraiser for both of them.

I’m loving all the London pictures, all of mine are pre digital. @Quartzsite Cruiser I remember The Texas Embassy picture from my first time In London in 1999.. I’ve also been watching the Smithsonian series onThe Tower of London .  My favorite thing in the Jewel house is the wine cistern . 
      I was able to do a ghost tour there at night one year when we were there around Halloween. 

• Like 9

Great selection of days.

When we lived in the UK we traveled to Southampton and Portsmouth several times, but have never been there by ship.

Enjoying our east coast sojourn.  Off to Saratoga Springs NY tomorrow leaving Williamsburg VA.

@NextOne many condolences for your loss.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Happy Anniversary!

Prayers to all those on the care list and best wishes to all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We have been in and out of Southampton several times.

The first was the end of an Eastbound TA on Princess in April, 2009, and we immediately headed into London since DH had never been.

In September, 2010, we flew in a few days early before a Westbound TA and took the train to Winchester one day, Sailsbury & Stonehenge the second day, and finally to Bath the last day before the cruise.

In November, 2012, we did B2B out of Southampton (Immersive Wine Cruise followed by a Westbound TA). 

May of 2014 was a turnaround day between an Eastbound TA and British Isles.

June of 2015, Southampton was the embarkation and disembarkation port for our North Cape & Summer Solstice cruise.  

The only pictures of actual Southampton we have are from the November, 2012, trip.  We were lucky enough to be there for the Christmas Market.

IMG_0002.thumb.jpg.8333bd9c6ef247e160401ee16311f897.jpg

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.71477703d04112ba1813bb1e291cba51.jpg

IMG_0006.thumb.jpg.a83fdc3767955107670d50fd83f253d6.jpg

IMG_0008.thumb.jpg.0aff8bc7d9b1b7fd8f66f97bcfea79a6.jpg

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.590e17cbf28f2d9ad2675697f3a7ba61.jpg

IMG_0005.thumb.jpg.8b02781c29179500dda5f7ba1697a80d.jpg

IMG_0009.thumb.jpg.321c040507bed1076178383029241a1c.jpg

IMG_0012.thumb.jpg.e8cf03039325d8d3fb8ce2d01af4223b.jpg

IMG_0014.thumb.jpg.a5f1fd5782ee663169a5383f5a28bd5f.jpg

IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.422c2f05d5a8d352aff2aa7301079de2.jpg

IMG_0016.thumb.jpg.29265d0431776409d9a94edad0c4897b.jpg

IMG_0018.thumb.jpg.87f7fe662a24775048eb15bd21b041fb.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good guess!  It was one of Queen Victoria’s dresses in her younger years so you might me about right,  it was the 200 th anniversary of her birth in 1819.  I enlarged the original and the sign says 1831 to1832 her oldest surviving dress.  

I was wondering if it might have belonged to her, and perhaps if it was a reproduction of her wedding gown. I believe a program done by Lucy Worsley indicated the original wedding gown was lost. Perhaps I remember wrong? Or this might have been a different dress?

The painting didn’t stoke me as resembling Victoria, and the girl looks really young.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

@rafinmdRoy, it’s good to see you coming along so well. Even though you say the procedure was minimally invasive, it is still a major deal!

I feel especially fortunate given that my surgery was essentially the same as @StLouisCruiserssister.  I was actually thinking of that when I went into the hospital.  I think our fire department physician would like to see me walking even more but that will come.'

Roy

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I feel especially fortunate given that my surgery was essentially the same as @StLouisCruiserssister.  I was actually thinking of that when I went into the hospital.  I think our fire department physician would like to see me walking even more but that will come.'

Roy

Roy, I am home now from my travels to St. Louis and am reading trying to catch up on our beloved Daily.  I read some last night before bed and today at the airport in St. Louis.  I want you to know I felt badly that my sister's surgery happened just before yours and took a turn for the worse.  Like I've said before, the complications always happen to her, and I just knew yours would go splendidly.  I was concerned you would be worried and was sorry it happened the way it did.  It gives me great pleasure that you are doing so well!  And when my DB gets his cath done I am praying his goes as well as yours did.  He requires a stent and I'm not sure if it is as complicated as the valve repair.  But I'm ready for some good news.

The flight to St. Louis was safe after all the prayers given here for a safe flight.  BUT, it wasn't the least bit uneventful.  St. Louis Sal hoped I had my umbrella Thursday when I arrived, but I didn't actually arrive during the storm.  10 or 15 minutes before our arrival there the airport officials closed the St. Louis airport due to 70 mph winds, heavy rains and tornado warnings.  So our pilot announced we would be circling a racetrack course south of St. Louis during the closure.  45 minutes later they announced to us we had used up our fuel reserves so we would head down to Memphis for a refueling.  Approximately 50 minutes after touchdown,  we were ready for takeoff, but then they announced instead of heading straight north to St. Louis we would fly near Indianapolis and then head west to St. Louis.  Good grief!  Instead of a 1:11 arrival we touched down at 4:30 pm.  So it was a very safe trip but a Loooonnnnngggg one.  I stood in line at the car rental agency and raced over to see my DS.  She had been moved from the hospital to a hospice on Wednesday night.  This place was beautiful.  The room was calming and beautiful.  The staff was outstanding and so sweet and gentle with her.  She can ask for anything and they will do their best to please her.  If she wanted grape juice and the kitchen didn't have it, they went to the grocery and bought some for her.  She can eat something when she is hungry and not on a rigid schedule.  I'm glad to say she is nibbling on their food and says the food is great.  

After seeing her, I realize that no matter what the rest of us want, her future is up to her and what God has planned for her.  I don't want her to go anywhere but if that is what happens, I will accept it.  We had a lovely visit for the past three days and I'm so glad I was able to go and spend the time with her.  We talked about our younger days and the things we did.  When I was a child I had a severe case of the measles and was kept in a dark room for 2 weeks.  She said Mom told us not to go in there but I used to sneak in and bring you things.  She was always my second Mother.  If anyone needs care, she will do it.  It was sad when I left her today.  I told her I will see you.  I don't know where or when, but I will see her again.

Thanks again to all my friends here.  Your words have helped me immensely.  Hugs for all of you.❤️

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! And an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend to all our American Dailyites.  I have never had any luck gambling, so the quote is completely accurate for me. Lobster rolls sound good, but aren’t really a thing on the west coast. Dinner is unknown. It’s our anniversary today, and dine in is allowed as of Tuesday just past, so we are going out for dinner for the first time in months! Yesterday we headed back to Chilliwack, as DH has medical appointments this coming week. I was able to read, but not post, so my apologies for the missing elevator mat! The garden here has come along nicely, and the roses are in bloom!

@NextOne, my deepest condolences on the loss of your DH Ron. No words are even remotely adequate, but my thoughts and support are with you. @smitty34877with what Tana is going through, it is a blessing that you are able to be there for her son in person. How difficult for you all!

@rafinmdRoy, it’s good to see you coming along so well. Even though you say the procedure was minimally invasive, it is still a major deal!

Happy Saturday, enjoy the weekend, and hoist a toast to our BHB’s!

8EBE0D8F-5C99-407D-89DC-2E8C57B59D40.thumb.jpeg.8e199f87d2fe81e2664ffaed0fea7d51.jpeg

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!  🥂🎈🌹

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@kb4683....we did a lot of Princess cruises in 2012..maybe on the same one with you?! 🚢By any chance, was the ship the "Crown" Princess? It was crazy for us that year...we took 2 cruises from Southampton, then went over to Belgium via the chunnel for a few weeks, then returned to Southampton for two more cruises ....the final one was the TA in Nov. 2012 taking us back to FL.

I printed out my cruise history but not the itineraries, lol! 🙃Actually, the voyages were varied with not many repeat ports which is unusual at times. We really became familiar with Southampton and shopped like locals. 😉

Katie

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Roy, I am home now from my travels to St. Louis and am reading trying to catch up on our beloved Daily.  I read some last night before bed and today at the airport in St. Louis.  I want you to know I felt badly that my sister's surgery happened just before yours and took a turn for the worse.  Like I've said before, the complications always happen to her, and I just knew yours would go splendidly.  I was concerned you would be worried and was sorry it happened the way it did.  It gives me great pleasure that you are doing so well!  And when my DB gets his cath done I am praying his goes as well as yours did.  He requires a stent and I'm not sure if it is as complicated as the valve repair.  But I'm ready for some good news.

The flight to St. Louis was safe after all the prayers given here for a safe flight.  BUT, it wasn't the least bit uneventful.  St. Louis Sal hoped I had my umbrella Thursday when I arrived, but I didn't actually arrive during the storm.  10 or 15 minutes before our arrival there the airport officials closed the St. Louis airport due to 70 mph winds, heavy rains and tornado warnings.  So our pilot announced we would be circling a racetrack course south of St. Louis during the closure.  45 minutes later they announced to us we had used up our fuel reserves so we would head down to Memphis for a refueling.  Approximately 50 minutes after touchdown,  we were ready for takeoff, but then they announced instead of heading straight north to St. Louis we would fly near Indianapolis and then head west to St. Louis.  Good grief!  Instead of a 1:11 arrival we touched down at 4:30 pm.  So it was a very safe trip but a Loooonnnnngggg one.  I stood in line at the car rental agency and raced over to see my DS.  She had been moved from the hospital to a hospice on Wednesday night.  This place was beautiful.  The room was calming and beautiful.  The staff was outstanding and so sweet and gentle with her.  She can ask for anything and they will do their best to please her.  If she wanted grape juice and the kitchen didn't have it, they went to the grocery and bought some for her.  She can eat something when she is hungry and not on a rigid schedule.  I'm glad to say she is nibbling on their food and says the food is great.  

After seeing her, I realize that no matter what the rest of us want, her future is up to her and what God has planned for her.  I don't want her to go anywhere but if that is what happens, I will accept it.  We had a lovely visit for the past three days and I'm so glad I was able to go and spend the time with her.  We talked about our younger days and the things we did.  When I was a child I had a severe case of the measles and was kept in a dark room for 2 weeks.  She said Mom told us not to go in there but I used to sneak in and bring you things.  She was always my second Mother.  If anyone needs care, she will do it.  It was sad when I left her today.  I told her I will see you.  I don't know where or when, but I will see her again.

Thanks again to all my friends here.  Your words have helped me immensely.  Hugs for all of you.❤️

Thank you and welcome home.  Is your brothers cath authorized now?  With a sad visit like you had you did not need that kind of stress from the trip as well.

Roy

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

🌺oh Sandi, Thank you soooooo

much for getting back to all of us!!

😢I am still sad but again happy you were able to be with her and remember when! Those are treasured memories always. It sounds like a wonderful place of comfort and great compassion from the wonderful nurses and it has to make you feel at peace. I pray for your wonderful sister and your family to get through this and the strength to conquer all. Thank you

Denise🙏

• Like 11

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you and welcome home.  Is your brothers cath authorized now?  With a sad visit like you had you did not need that kind of stress from the trip as well.

Roy

I'm not exactly sure what has been authorized at this point.  I'll take a breath and check back in with him at the beginning of the work week.  Talk about stress!  After Thursday's travel woes and initial visit with Sister, I woke up early Friday morning with very red cheeks and an itchy face.  My body betrayed the calm I was trying to present.  So I took Benadryl and carried on.  I'm still a little rosy cheeked but the itching is starting to calm down.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺oh Sandi, Thank you soooooo

much for getting back to all of us!!

😢I am still sad but again happy you were able to be with her and remember when! Those are treasured memories always. It sounds like a wonderful place of comfort and great compassion from the wonderful nurses and it has to make you feel at peace. I pray for your wonderful sister and your family to get through this and the strength to conquer all. Thank you

Denise🙏

You are a treasure, Denise!  Thank you for being you!

• Like 5