Internet package

I need a surfing package for me and my daughter can I buy 1 plus 1 device or do I need 2 separate packages?  I’m really annoyed as they have just put all the prices up. Also is it cheaper to buy on board or in advance?

many thanks

3 minutes ago, Jo and Rob said:

I need a surfing package for me and my daughter can I buy 1 plus 1 device or do I need 2 separate packages? 

Also is it cheaper to buy on board or in advance?

If you both have to be on at the same time, buy a two device package - otherwise get a one device package and share it.

Online is almost always cheaper than on board.

If you purchase the 1 device plan then you simply log off when your not using so your daughter can log on.  

If she plans on doing any type of facetime or Skype or sending photos to friends and family then you may want the surf/stream package.

If your usage is limited a single package will do.  Not sure what you (or your daughter) do online, but, if it's the kind of activity that typically expects a active connection you may want to buy two.  It's ugly when the connection dies because the other user started using it while you were.

33 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

If your usage is limited a single package will do.  Not sure what you (or your daughter) do online, but, if it's the kind of activity that typically expects a active connection you may want to buy two.  It's ugly when the connection dies because the other user started using it while you were.

This is why I stopped buying even the 2 device package...b/c between our 4 devices someone was always knocking someone else off.  Now everyone gets their own package.  If I want to change between my phone and my iPad, I can do that without the worry of knocking Dan off of one of his devices.

5 minutes ago, Jillt92 said:

If I buy one Surf and Stream package with 4 devices can my family of 4 all use this with no problem?

Yes, but only one device at a time. If you need to communicate or reach everyone in your party at all times you will need to buy one for each person.

Get the 2 device surf and stream.  Keep checking prices especially around a holiday.  Cyber Monday and Thanksgiving weekend are good times.  Labor day has always been good.  Being that it is 2021 and we all need our phones and tablets/laptops for social, work, school, home cameras...etc...it makes no sense to share devices or turn off the world.  Spend the extra $$ and get the 2 device package.  

Two different issues here ---

Number of packages versus number of devices.

You can buy one package for two devices (one person buys the package in their name, and two devices from any two people can be logged on at the same time).  This is the cheapest way to do it.  Also always been cheaper to purchase in advance (and if you can purchase on Black Friday, that's your best bet!).

Buying each person their own 1-device package is going to be more expensive than buying one package for however many devices you need online at once.   For example, a 1-device Surf/Stream at 18.39/day x 2 people x 7 days = $257.46.  But a 2-device Surf/Stream at 34.99 x 7 days = $244.93.

I usually travel solo, but I buy a 4-device package and then "resell" the other three devices to people on my roll call -- we all get a cheaper rate that way, closer to $16/day/person.

9 hours ago, Wilson said:

Yes, but only one device at a time. If you need to communicate or reach everyone in your party at all times you will need to buy one for each person.

This wrong.  When a single person buys a 4 device package any 4 devices can be connected at any time.  I have done it everyitme I have been on a Royal ship.  People regularly buy 4 device packages and then sell individual devices from that package to strangers on the roll call.  You just all need to use the same logon.  That is the only limitation.

Will either of you need it all the time?

The way it works is 1 logged on device at a time, but when a different device logs on, the other is disconnected.  I don't know if there's any grace period or only new connections are blocked because I'm only kicking myself off.

If that works for you, then get the 1 device.

9 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Being that it is 2021 and we all need our phones and tablets/laptops for social, work, school, home cameras...etc...it makes no sense to share devices or turn off the world.   

Totally not true.

I have been on 25+ voyages and have never had internet package.

(except NCL gave us like 60 free minutes once)

If I really needed WIFI,  you can find it in port.

I know everyone says they have important jobs that they need to be reachable 24/7

Or be in constant contact with the dog-sitter making sure they have the correct feeding schedule.

Don't forget the elderly great aunt in hospice that is about to go anytime.

But in the end We all know that the real reason for the internet package is to sit around and play on Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

But in the end We all know that the real reason for the internet package is to sit around and play on Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat....

And that's okay, too. Everyone can choose their own cruise options.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

And that's okay, too. Everyone can choose their own cruise options.

Exactly!

Some people have family members back home they need to be available for. 
Some people have work obligations.
Some people want to post/read on Facebook, etc.
Some people want to be able to contact others in their group elsewhere on the ship.
Some people want to stream tv/movies while their little kids or significant other is sleeping.
Some people want to keep up with world news.
Some people want to advance a few levels on Candy Crush. 

Whatever someone's reason for wanting or not wanting internet access on a ship, it's their own personal decision, and none of anyone else's business.  It's like gay marriage -- if you don't like gay marriage, just say "no" if a gay person proposes to you; otherwise, it doesn't affect you, so just shuffle along and mind your own business.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Some people have family members back home they need to be available for. 
Some people have work obligations.
Some people want to post/read on Facebook, etc.
Some people want to be able to contact others in their group elsewhere on the ship.
Some people want to stream tv/movies while their little kids or significant other is sleeping.
Some people want to keep up with world news.
Some people want to advance a few levels on Candy Crush. 
Some people want to Post Whore on Cruise Critic.

I'm surprised you forgot the most important one.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Totally not true.

I have been on 25+ voyages and have never had internet package.

(except NCL gave us like 60 free minutes once)

If I really needed WIFI,  you can find it in port.

I know everyone says they have important jobs that they need to be reachable 24/7

Or be in constant contact with the dog-sitter making sure they have the correct feeding schedule.

Don't forget the elderly great aunt in hospice that is about to go anytime.

I shared your post with my husband who has run meetings while sitting up on a pool deck and in our cabin and he laughed and said obviously this person is retired or never owned a business.

15 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I shared your post with my husband who has run meetings while sitting up on a pool deck and in our cabin and he laughed and said obviously this person is retired or never owned a business.

So if internet was not available on the ship.

Would he have to stay home?

I doubt it...

The VOOM Internet prices have gone up on Cruise Planner sales.  They are higher that what I paid a few months ago.  I wonder what the base prices for Surf and Stream and just Surf will be on the ship.  We get the D+ free days (which works out as a discount for a package.).