Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

There's a thread currently on Celebrity Forum about the Millennium's first cruise out of St. Martin. Embarkation is today. It is obvious from the details and photos that one port of call Florida cruises will not be stopping at is St. Martin. I expect several other Caribbean ports will not be on Florida embarkation itineraries.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Maybe the CDC will be reasonable and change their mask rules to allow everyone to take off their mask while outside and while dining just like at land based restaurants and pools.

Or maybe the cruise lines would not let the vocal minority unvaccinated determine what the rules and protocols are going to be.  Masks would only be needed at embarkation and disembarkation if the unvaccinated were not on board.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Or maybe the cruise lines would not let the vocal minority unvaccinated determine what the rules and protocols are going to be.  Masks would only be needed at embarkation and disembarkation if the unvaccinated were not on board.

Quote,  “Rahm has tested negative every day, but his most recent test – which was performed after the conclusion of his second round (rain delayed) and before the start of his third round – returned positive at approximately 4:20 p.m. ET”.  

Sorry to hear of the above this afternoon with him having to withdraw from the PGA Memorial.  It does go to show though that one can get tested a day or two before a cruise and be negative only to be positive days later.  This will be big news tomorrow and I do hope it’s a lesson for cruise operators to ensure all on board are vaccinated.  If not, it could set the industry back months if there is an outbreak.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

I guess we will see what happens.  At some point, masks will go away completely even though covid will not.  It will be something everyone will just have to live with and hopefully not live with in fear since everyone is able to protect themselves.

If a positive case can be quarantined on a ship or hotel, it's not a big deal. For some reason people think there will be huge super spreaders and people being air lifted to hospitals on a 7 day cruise.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

They are vocal for sure. So were smokers. They adapted 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those who think cruise lines won't enforce covid policy will be in for a surprise. If the CDC finds out, they can yank the permission to sail from a cruise line in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

BAD DECISION, CARNIVAL.  Even worse since both Arnold and Duffy previously said they would not require vaccines.

Negative Ghostrider. "Incentivize" vaccination by force to those that outright refuse. If getting vaccinated is an affront to someone's personal freedom cause 'Murica, then allowing those same people potentially to compromise a relatively safe environment is going to directly affect someone else's personal freedom. Who's to say one person's freedom is any more important than another? 

No shirt, no shoes, no service....been a staple of retail for years. Same concept. If folks want to choose no vaccine, that's fine, not my place to piss on their belief, but please don't expect the world to wait on them. 

Edited by pogoism9
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, pogoism9 said:

Negative Ghostrider. "incentivize" vaccination by force to those that outright refuse. If getting vaccinated is an affront to someone's personal freedom cause 'Murica, then allowing those same people potentially compromise a relatively safe environment is an affront to someone else's personal freedom. Who's to say one person's  freedom is any more important than another? 

No shirt, no shoes, no service....been a staple of retail for years. Same concept. If folks want to choose no vaccine, that's fine, not my place to piss on their belief, but please don't expect the world to wait on them. 

No shirt no shoes no service. 
Pretty much applied everywhere except stores on a beach. Don’t see anybody’s liberties or freedom at stake. And that’s just for our standard of decency.

Now we’re talking “No vaccine? No cruise!”

Thats for an even higher standard than decency. It’s for the standard of safety for all and for the livelihood of the cruise industry to survive!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, amcankid said:

Thats for an even higher standard than decency. It’s for the standard of safety for all and for the livelihood of the cruise industry to survive!!

I agree fully with this statement. People want to have their cake and eat it too. Folks that refuse a vaccine will be the absolute first in line to piss and moan because they have to wear a mask, when THEY are the reason that masks have to be worn. Personally, if Carnival sticks with vaccine requirement, I commend them. Want cruising to be safer? Eliminate the risk. Unvaccinated are the risk right now.

• Like 5

I never saw an answer to a question I posed earlier. Would the unvaccinated people be willing to cruise on unvaccinated only cruises with the following restrictions?

1. Must be tested the day of the cruise for covid. Anyone in the group that tests positive are denied boarding with no refunds or credit. The group would need to work with their own trip insurance coverage for repayment.
  2. Required to remain in cabin every morning until their health check is complete.
  3. Must wear a mask 24/7 outside the cabin except when actively eating or drinking.
  4. No one permitted within 6 feet of each other except within their own group. Yes, you have to look down the hall before going down it so it is clear.
  5. Elevators can only have people from your group in it. Elevators do not stop at any other floors than the one it is going to with your group.
  6. No congregating at elevators to wait for them.
  7. Registering for specific times you can be at a venue on the ship for short periods of time. An example is signing up for one of the 200 spaces on the Lido deck for 45 minutes. If you don't have a reserved scheduled spot, you must be in your cabin.

I am fairly certain 0% of the unvaccinated would even consider these as agreeable options. If that is the case, would any one of them agree that if covid is detected on the ship it immediately returns to port to quarantine everyone to their cabins and everyone quarantined at port until tested? No. The unvaccinated want all of the freedoms, none of the consequences, and put everyone else's time in danger. I'm sorry, you don't get your cake, eat it too, then get my cake, and eat it as well. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'm vaxxed....and  believe the vaxxed are the vocal ones (generally), almost to the point of obnoxious at times.  When the protocols come out, you (and everyone else) can decide to play along or pass.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

I'm vaxxed....and  believe the vaxxed are the vocal ones (generally), almost to the point of obnoxious at times.  When the protocols come out, you (and everyone else) can decide to play along or pass.

It's the unvaxxed that have made multiple threads get locked on Cruise Critic.  Protocols have not been announced on either Carnival or RCI.  My August Oasis cruise just got cancelled, but I am optimistic about Halloween on the Mardi Gras.  Am hoping that since it is right before the CSO expires that vaccinations will be required and masks will not, but I am certainly not holding my breath because Donald and Duffy said that vaccines would not be needed and now they are flip flopping.  They will probably flip flop the other way and the anti jab crowd will get their way and protocols will thus include masks.

All they had to do was make it easy and start with 95% vaccinated and 5% unvaccinated kids till the CSO expires.

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I really doubt the "vocal unvaccinated minority" are dictating rules and protocols.  Business moving forward, just like the rest of the country learning how to deal with the future.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I have seen wheel chairs deliberately piloted over a foot or two. Carnival would not get sued for chair hogging. You used to be able to carry bottles of liquor on the ship even though not allowed. They Carnival clamped down, some.

Clamping down on smuggled liquor I'm sure was done with the thought of how it affected the bottom line.

46 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's the unvaxxed that have made multiple threads get locked on Cruise Critic.  

All they had to do was make it easy and start with 95% vaccinated and 5% unvaccinated kids till the CSO expires.

1) And the vaxxed that get threads locked….good try. Again, I’m vaxxed, so no need to pull that card either.

2) Tell the CEO, unless you really think cc opinions have that much clout.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If you are vaccinated. If the cruise is unvaccinated, Royal has a lot more to worry about.

If vaccinated, no need to even be tested, unless you start getting symptoms.

If I were cruising on Royal, I would be worried about an early termination of the cruise. Unvaccinated passengers mutinying over covid policy. Especially worry over not having as enjoyable of an experience of a cruise as I could have on a vaccinated cruise.

I believe a large majority of people will have been vaccinated. They won't have to do anything. The unvaccinated might, according to the CDC's own guidelines. In Europe they have been cruising for months, unvaccinated, no problems.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2021 at 9:43 AM, BlerkOne said:

Logic would say a vaccinated cruise would be allowed a higher capacity than an unvaccinated cruise. Carnival could be $$$ ahead.

On 6/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, BlerkOne said:

Personally I'm looking forward to a reduced capacity cruise with reduced lines. Kids or no kids, that will be odd and welcomed.

Well which one is it? lol. The thing about logic is we make it up as we go. I wouldn't put it past the CDC to limit capacity regardless because "hey look, we're taking action". Many different outcomes could change the outcomes of revenue for the cruise lines. This is why they are very wishy washy on vaccination stances. A higher capacity should in theory bring in more revenue. However, if they say no to unvaccinated and no to children, that does eliminate quite a big chunk of the market. Less demand doesn't do well with fare prices.

8 hours ago, amcankid said:

So very true. Wasn’t that many years ago that one of the biggest debates (heated arguments) were from smokers insisting their rights were being violated by the cruise lines restricting their smoking to isolated areas. Then when most cruise lines banned smoking on balconies those feeling their rights were being trampled went absolutely berserk!

Not once did they ever consider the rights of non smokers.

Not once did they admit second hand smoke can cause serious health issues. 
Nit once did they admit the smell ruins the ambiance for the neighboring balcony or the one above.

Its all about them. And their stupid Fn rights.

The same mentality applies now.

Except this time, if more than a few unvaccinated passengers come down with Covid on any given cruise, kiss goodby to the cruise industry as we know it!!

If those who refuse the vaccine would only take a break from Fox and do some serious research, they would find that the science behind Pfizer and Moderna’s vaccines are not only extremely safe, but before all this started they were already in the middle of breakthrough research to use this technology to cure sickle cell anemia, MS and a whole host of different types of cancer.

Not only can mRNA technology save yours or others lives right now from Covid, in the next 5 years or so it might save your life from pancreatic cancer or something.

Don’t be todays version of yesterdays smokers.

We should do our part in helping ban smoking. If it saves even one life. People need protection. What if it was a family member or friend? Am I doing it right?

Personally, other than the occasional cigar, I can't stand smoking. The secondhand smoke argument is always a funny one though. People think they are going to die because they breathed in someone's puff once. Oh how cute the internet is.

6 hours ago, pogoism9 said:

I agree fully with this statement. People want to have their cake and eat it too. Folks that refuse a vaccine will be the absolute first in line to piss and moan because they have to wear a mask, when THEY are the reason that masks have to be worn. 

This was a good argument in 2020. I invite you to come out with me today and see what is left of the mask mandate. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, janewe said:

Quote,  “Rahm has tested negative every day, but his most recent test – which was performed after the conclusion of his second round (rain delayed) and before the start of his third round – returned positive at approximately 4:20 p.m. ET”.  

Sorry to hear of the above this afternoon with him having to withdraw from the PGA Memorial.  It does go to show though that one can get tested a day or two before a cruise and be negative only to be positive days later.  This will be big news tomorrow and I do hope it’s a lesson for cruise operators to ensure all on board are vaccinated.  If not, it could set the industry back months if there is an outbreak.

I wonder if he now regrets not getting vaccinated... 

On 6/4/2021 at 9:13 AM, txgranny said:

Wow, my cruise is Vista Aug 28th and although myself and daughter are vaccinated my 4 yr old granddaughter is not able. This is heartbreaking as I'll have to cancel, lose $650 OBC. Ugh

I wouldn't cancel your cruise.  The CDC has stated approval for the vaccine for kids under 12 won't be until the fall.  They also stated the chances of kids spreading the virus is very slim.  I would think the ccruise lines will take that into consideration.

29 minutes ago, Cushing985 said:

I wouldn't cancel your cruise.  The CDC has stated approval for the vaccine for kids under 12 won't be until the fall.  They also stated the chances of kids spreading the virus is very slim.  I would think the ccruise lines will take that into consideration.

The projection for vaccination approval  for younger children is for ages 6 and up.

The submission for approval is at the sponsor's (the vaccine manufacturers in this case) discretion. I have seen projections that the approval might occur in time for the new  school year (around September).

Clinical trials of the vaccines in younger children two and up, are ongoing. It is projected that that approval may occur before the end of 2021. 

9 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

BAD DECISION, CARNIVAL.  Even worse since both Arnold and Duffy previously said they would not require vaccines.

Nothings official yet. You can always upgrade to Royal. 

9 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

They didn't say anything then and haven't said anything now.  People need actually listen what they say not the headlines that get reported.  Seems, shouldn’t and other similar words are not definitive statements. They use those words because they don't want to commit to anything until they have to.

• Thanks 1