Royal Caribbean reverses, won’t require passengers on U.S. cruises to be vaccinated

The news is pretty disappointing for me today.  I've been so hopeful for the day the ships would start sailing again.   

But I doubt we'll be going without a vaccine mandate, and we were really looking forward to our first Royal Suite Class on Allure and Odyssey.

It's my hope Royal adds "vaccine required" cruises out of Nassau, Cozumel, or some other non US port on at least one Oasis/Quantum class ship.

I've been cheering them on through this pandemic, and dying to get back, hence why I booked Adventure. But this, well, it's just not for us.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Just now, harkinmr said:

And how many staff do they hire to check everybody's wristband in every venue at all times of the day? Not really practical.  The separate venues is an idea that has been suggested, but can you imagine the on board reaction from those who have been "segregated"?

If you tell unvaccinated passengers that they will be quarantined in their room for the remainder of the cruise if they are found not following protocols, I doubt you are going to have that many willing to risk it, nor need to have more than ten or twelve staff circling the ship checking. And the people upset about not being allowed into certain venues because they haven't been vaccinated aren't going to be any better or worse than the people who would be upset being forced to follow outdated protocols everywhere despite having already been vaccinated. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

If you tell unvaccinated passengers that they will be quarantined in their room for the remainder of the cruise if they are found not following protocols, I doubt you are going to have that many willing to risk it, nor need to have more than ten or twelve staff circling the ship checking. And the people upset about not being allowed into certain venues because they haven't been vaccinated aren't going to be any better or worse than the people who would be upset being forced to follow outdated protocols everywhere despite having already been vaccinated. 

Points well taken.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

It's my hope Royal adds "vaccine required" cruises out of Nassau, Cozumel, or some other non US port on at least one Oasis/Quantum class ship.

Based on sales of ships from non US Ports there will be no way you will see an OA or QN class ship homeporting from those foreign ports.  IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I've been cheering them on through this pandemic, and dying to get back, hence why I booked Adventure. But this, well, it's just not for us.

Also quite disappointed! 😞

And the latest global suspensions, cancelations, remedy options, new sailings not readily available on RC's site and so forth have left me with a bad taste. 

RC seems so disorganized in trying to quickly put info out there and not much thought went into what should happen first.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Points well taken.

To be clear, if I had to put money down, I would guess everyone following protocols as you suggested will happen is more likely. Just pointing out it's far from a sure thing, they are ways they could try to do things differently.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it varies from cruise to cruise based on percent that are vaccinated and age range of the unvaccinated. Like if there are less than 100 adults who are unvaccinated, but lots of kids, they could easily do the wrist band thing for the night club when it's 18+ anyways without much complaint; but couldn't on the next cruise if half the adults were unvaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

To be clear, if I had to put money down, I would guess everyone following protocols as you suggested will happen is more likely. Just pointing out it's far from a sure thing, they are ways they could try to do things differently.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it varies from cruise to cruise based on percent that are vaccinated and age range of the unvaccinated. Like if there are less than 100 adults who are unvaccinated, but lots of kids, they could easily do the wrist band thing for the night club when it's 18+ anyways without much complaint; but couldn't on the next cruise if half the adults were unvaccinated.

Or just require vaccines for 18+, then all of the adult areas can be mask free. They can add turnstiles at the entrance where you have to scan the tracelet for verification.

• Like 3

At this point I simply don't care what Royal does and honestly I don't feel terribly sorry for anyone who booked cruises during a pandemic and before anything started back up and now isn't happy.  You had to know you were taking a gamble and either way people were going to be upset with the rules.

My personal opinion was and will continue to be that all passengers should be vaccinated to start cruising back up, but have always acknowledged that it's not my decision to make.

I will sit back and watch what happens over the next few months with great interest - I have a L&S on Oasis the last week of November - by that time I don't expect any restrictions to be in place, so I'm not concerned about any potential problems that may arise during the first cruises because Royal caved in and couldn't do what I think is in everyone's best interest.

I wish everyone who is on the first sailings all the best - just glad it isn't me.

Edited by mek
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

If everyone cancels who says they will cancel, might be some bargains on rcl. I was thinking keep a eye out for last minute deals. Agree either way either families disappointed or the adults who wanted vaccinated only and to heck with the kids. Both sides werent getting their way. 95% set by cdc wasnt going to fly. Bring on the deals.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

If everyone cancels who says they will cancel, might be some bargains on rcl. I was thinking keep a eye out for last minute deals. Agree either way either families disappointed or the adults who wanted vaccinated only and to heck with the kids. Both sides werent getting their way. 95% set by cdc wasnt going to fly. Bring on the deals.

Wouldn’t get too excited about deals just yet — there is a paragraph in the press release that says “cruises outside of those announced today will be cancelled through August 31st”.  We may not get a chance to decide whether we want to go or not.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

Does this mean I will have to be masked all the time even though I'm vaccinated

They haven't announced the protocol, but they could offer a colored wristband for those who voluntarily show proof of vaccination, which would tell the crew that you don't have to do the masking and distancing thing.  Or the opposite, where they make everybody wear an annoying wristband and only cut it off you if you voluntarily show proof of vaccine.

• Like 1

Luckily I have one cruise out of the Bahamas, where everyone over 12 will have to be vaccinated, then the next cruises will be out of England and Amsterdam next Spring. I don't plan on sailing out of the US until there's proof that these non vaccinated cruises can make a go of it. 

Edited by MommaBear55
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 3kidsncats said:

Wouldn’t get too excited about deals just yet — there is a paragraph in the press release that says “cruises outside of those announced today will be cancelled through August 31st”.  We may not get a chance to decide whether we want to go or not.  

I was thinking late oct, before the cso lifts. I'm booked sept 11 already.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

And how many staff do they hire to check everybody's wristband in every venue at all times of the day? Not really practical.  The separate venues is an idea that has been suggested, but can you imagine the on board reaction from those who have been "segregated"?

Not difficult if the sanctions for violating the masking rules were severe enough, like getting locked in your cabin or having the whole party kicked off the boat.  It would only take a few security goons roaming the ship.  Easy.

• Like 3

my issues with this are less about vaccinated and non vaccinated... it is about what protocols will be in place.... I liked the idea of a totally or almost totally vaccinated cruise... because.. I don't want to have DH and his scooter stand in line for 30 minutes while 4 people at a time get in the elevator... or having to sit at a Diamond club event wearing a mask because they have no idea who is and who is not vaccinated.  If you are vaccinated you shouldn't be concerned about being on a ship with non vaccinated. Instead the non-vaccinated should be concerned about being on a ship with a bunch of other non-vaccinated.... I just don't want to go back to social distancing and masking if I don't have to.. Today I can go to a restaurant maskless or Costco... I want the same freedom on a ship...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This is hilarious.  Why do people who are vaccinated even care what people who are unvaccinated do?  If you’ve been vaccinated you can still get it and carry it....your symptoms are just minimized .  This argument by vaccinated people is getting beyond old.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

This is why we booked Celebrity for November.  I can go almost everywhere without a mask (not dentist office).  Why would I chance spending thousands of dollars to wear a mask?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dominicr said:

This is hilarious.  Why do people who are vaccinated even care what people who are unvaccinated do?  If you’ve been vaccinated you can still get it and carry it....your symptoms are just minimized .  This argument by vaccinated people is getting beyond old.  

You apparently can not spread it and the chance of getting it are extremely remote based on CDC's own data

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, mek said:

honestly I don't feel terribly sorry for anyone who booked cruises during a pandemic and before anything started back up and now isn't happy.  You had to know you were taking a gamble and either way people were going to be upset with the rules

Well many of the upcoming summer/fall/winter cruises were booked almost 1.5 - 5 years ago, way before "pandemic", "vaccinations", etc.. were part of our daily discussions and concerns!

Not looking for sympathy, just timely info from RC and the company not "putting the horse before the cart" in situations where it could clearly be avoided.

Sometimes a company has to bend a little to accommodate its customers or acquire new ones. The saying "you can attract more bees with honey than vinegar" thinking comes to mind.

Respect each one's opinion.

Edited by long4acruise
Added "cruises"

9 minutes ago, ATG said:

This is why we booked Celebrity for November.  I can go almost everywhere without a mask (not dentist office).  Why would I chance spending thousands of dollars to wear a mask?

Makes perfect sense to me. I've been saying celebrity is going the no mock cruises, vaccinated route, rcl isnt. If folks wanted vaccinated they could have booked celebrity. 

I think the cdc says in the cso if unvaccinated masks required. ..though tbh I hope this is lifted before I cruise, but I have no faith the cdc will change its mind. It is what it is. 

14 minutes ago, dominicr said:

Because there is a far greater chance that unvaccinated people will catch Covid and the cruise will be halted. Also, there are a variety of dangerous viral strains that are popping up by the day. For those that got vaccinated we expect to enjoy a relaxing cruise without worrying that it will end after two days or that you still might get sick. 

Jonathan

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, dominicr said:

That is not proven therefore not true.  Why are you so cared about other people who are responsible and vaccinated want to stay healthy.

• Like 7