The Daily for Sunday Jun 06, 2021

richwmn

In case you haven't gotten your fill yet of Komodo, here are some photos from the first circumnavigation by HAL on the Volendam 2010.

It was a beautiful sail in. I would recommend doing as early a tour as possible due to the heat. The first dragon we saw was as we walked across the pier from the tender. I think it's time for a manicure for that next one. Next a picture from the distance of the pier, pictures of fish taken from the pier through the water, tonight's dinner for one of the dragons perhaps,  and the souvenir shopping area.

Arriving in Komodo Island-18.jpg

Komodo National Park.jpg

Komodo National Park-9.jpg

Komodo National Park-33.jpg

Komodo National Park-59.jpg

Komodo National Park-69.jpg

Komodo National Park-87.jpg

Komodo National Park-97.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

@Mtn2Sea Great pictures! Thank you. Did you take the ships excursion or did you book private?  The reason I ask is some members of my roll call have book an independent tour and I am trying to decide whether to join them or do the ships tour.

We took the HAL excursion.  There’s not a lot to do on Komodo Island, but I believe the private excursions often include some beach time.  Since we live on the water, that additional time isn’t a draw for us.  I would say that I wouldn’t worry about a private excursion not getting back in time for the ship’s departure - you’re certainly not going to run into any traffic jams!  BTW, you cannot (or at least not supposed to) go ashore on your own and wander around to look at the dragons.  Each tour included locals carrying sticks to keep the dragons away from us.  One of the first stories the guide told us was about a tourist in the 60’s or 70’s who went off on his own and never returned.  Presumably, he got too close!

• Like 21

18 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another rainy day here, I think we're getting the whole season's rain in 2 days.  

One of my uncles was involved in D-Day. We visited the D-Day beaches on a cruise in 2014 -- rented a car.  Unfortunately I can't find my photos right now.

Good memories of drive-ins from my early childhood.  Like @ger_77I remember falling asleep before the first show was over.  

No gardening today, we're taking the youngest GS whale watching as his birthday present.  He spent the night last night with us.  I got the idea from a friend who each year takes the birthday grandchild on a special outing, just them.  It's unusual for us to have just one boy, always it's both or none, so this is very special. He loves whales and all sea life, so this is perfect for him.  I just wish the weather was better, but we can't control that. 😉  

Worrying about a young cousin who had a kidney transplant 2 years ago (after being on the waiting list 4 years).  Her body is rejecting the kidney 😞  It's all very scary and sad, she's understandably scared and sad as we all are.  

Cheers and prayers for all on the lists -- have a great day everyone.

I'm very sorry to hear of your young cousin's health issues.  Can they put her on the waiting list for a new kidney?  I would be worried and scared too.  Prayers sent out to your cousin.🙏

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

In case you haven't gotten your fill yet of Komodo, here are some photos from the first circumnavigation by HAL on the Volendam 2010.

It was a beautiful sail in. I would recommend doing as early a tour as possible due to the heat. The first dragon we saw was as we walked across the pier from the tender. I think it's time for a manicure for that next one. Next a picture from the distance of the pier, pictures of fish taken from the pier through the water, tonight's dinner for one of the dragons perhaps,  and the souvenir shopping area.

Arriving in Komodo Island-18.jpg

Komodo National Park.jpg

Komodo National Park-9.jpg

Komodo National Park-33.jpg

Komodo National Park-59.jpg

Komodo National Park-69.jpg

Komodo National Park-87.jpg

Komodo National Park-97.jpg

Thank you for the wonderful photos!

• Like 11

Good morning. Still no sign of rain here. But at least it is cool for my morning walk with Bandit. 

I remember D-Day very clearly. I have visited Normandy several times. And I certainly remember Drive In movies. I miss the one we had in Durango. Last summer they did set up several in various commercial parking lots - don't know if that will continue this summer. They were very popular. Have not been to today's port.... it is on my list together with many other places. Some day........

Susan

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Mtn2Sea said:

We took the HAL excursion.  There’s not a lot to do on Komodo Island, but I believe the private excursions often include some beach time.  Since we live on the water, that additional time isn’t a draw for us.  I would say that I wouldn’t worry about a private excursion not getting back in time for the ship’s departure - you’re certainly not going to run into any traffic jams!  BTW, you cannot (or at least not supposed to) go ashore on your own and wander around to look at the dragons.  Each tour included locals carrying sticks to keep the dragons away from us.  One of the first stories the guide told us was about a tourist in the 60’s or 70’s who went off on his own and never returned.  Presumably, he got too close!

Thank you for the reply. We also live on the water so the extra time at the beach is not a necessary thing. I think we will stick with the ships excursion. I just would love to see them although I will be sticking close to the guide with the stick! LOL

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Do you know much about indoor plants?

I have little black dots on my indoor hibiscus, I think they may be aphids brought in from being out last summer.  I put them out yesterday and will bring them in before frost.  I've sprayed the plants with a soap and water solution, (maybe not often enough) but the bugs keep coming back.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Are the black spots on the leaves or the stems?

If it’s on the leaves, I wouldn’t panic.  Hibiscus (I have some) can get a leaf fungus which is little black spots.  It’s from the leaves getting too wet.  It’s harmless to the plant, though unlike aphids.

If it’s only on a few leaves, you can remove the leaves if you like to encourage the plant to send new ones.

@DFD1’s suggestion to wash the plants before bringing them indoors after the summer is a good one.  I always do it.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cunnorl said:

Thank you for the reply. We also live on the water so the extra time at the beach is not a necessary thing. I think we will stick with the ships excursion. I just would love to see them although I will be sticking close to the guide with the stick! LOL

If one those dragons decides to charge, heck with a stick, Will anyone have a bazooka? LOL.

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another rainy day here, I think we're getting the whole season's rain in 2 days.  

One of my uncles was involved in D-Day. We visited the D-Day beaches on a cruise in 2014 -- rented a car.  Unfortunately I can't find my photos right now.

Good memories of drive-ins from my early childhood.  Like @ger_77I remember falling asleep before the first show was over.  

No gardening today, we're taking the youngest GS whale watching as his birthday present.  He spent the night last night with us.  I got the idea from a friend who each year takes the birthday grandchild on a special outing, just them.  It's unusual for us to have just one boy, always it's both or none, so this is very special. He loves whales and all sea life, so this is perfect for him.  I just wish the weather was better, but we can't control that. 😉  

Worrying about a young cousin who had a kidney transplant 2 years ago (after being on the waiting list 4 years).  Her body is rejecting the kidney 😞  It's all very scary and sad, she's understandably scared and sad as we all are.  

Cheers and prayers for all on the lists -- have a great day everyone.

Praying that your cousin finds a successful solution. I would be scared, too. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I have a question:

The past 2 years my tomatoes put out beautiful fruit that either stopped growing or attained proper size, but never ripened. And there were  oddles of branches and leaves. They were in the ground, in raised beds, full sun. I used a vegetable fertilizer (don’t remember which) and commercial munch.

Any ideas? 

When did your tomatoes get their fruit?  Was it late in the season when things had cooled down?  

I had that happen to me one year but it was late in the season and was afraid I would loose them so I picked them and put them in brown paper bags in the house to ripen.

I’ll check what else could cause your issue and perhaps it will be the Gardening Club tip tomorrow 😉 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm very sorry to hear of your young cousin's health issues.  Can they put her on the waiting list for a new kidney?  I would be worried and scared too.  Prayers sent out to your cousin.🙏

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Praying that your cousin finds a successful solution. I would be scared, too. 

Thank you both, I appreciate your prayers.  Yes, she was immediately put on the waiting list for a new kidney.  This poor girl has had a lifetime of health issues, many stemming from her Lupus she's dealt with most of her life.  She has 2 little girls, and she's been hospitalized for one thing or another for most of their lives.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

@StLouisCruisers - I learned of your additional sad news on yesterday's thread way too late to respond. Let me express my condolences now and the hope that your family has some good fortune soon - you certainly deserve it.

It is getting difficult for me to post here on Saturdays. I usually play tennis from 7:30 to 9 am and then we go for coffee. I usually hit the grocery stores on the way home and then its time for lunch. Since I am sweaty and stinky from tennis, then it is time for yard/garden work. After that, its time for dinner prep and (hopefully) a cocktail! If it is cool enough we spend the evening on the patio listening to the loons. If it is hot, then we head to the cool basement for Netflix (right now were are re- watching Star Trek Voyager). It might be 11 pm before I find time for the computer! 

It got to 99F here yesterday so gardening was restricted to watering, deadheading, and other light tasks. I took a walk across the street when I was done for a invigorating swim in Lake Phalen; it could become a habit...

A bank of peonies that came with the house are blooming and made a nice bouquet for the dinning room table -

20210604_165907.thumb.jpg.0ccdc525e81970add7b339f6defbbbf3.jpg20210604_165930.thumb.jpg.47a3eec0fb97b5681ea1b5eeba48ccaa.jpg20210606_083511.thumb.jpg.6fa0e74e75d20bd268199b3b1e2f5669.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh dear 😔. That is scary and sad.  So sorry to hear this 😢 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We have stopped at Komodo Island, but I chose not to get off and see the "dragons".  I had seen a couple of videos on what nasty creatures they are.  Showed a local deer visiting a water hole next to a dragon where the lizard bit the deer on the leg.  Looked like no big deal, but the bite is poisonous.  The lizard then followed the deer for more than a day and when it got weaker and couldn't walk, it and its friends started to eat the deer.  I am probably in the minority, but the only way I would want to observe them is with a firearm to thin the flock.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

👍Great photos from Komodo Island @tjcox9 and yes @Mtn2Seawhen I heard the guide only had a stick for protection,  I said "WHAT!?" I was staying on the trail close to guide, too. 😮😮😮😮

I absolutely 💗 'white' asperagus @Damcruiser and every time we visited a different city in The Netherlands,  I ordered that veggie. 😉

Katie

• Like 17

Good morning, all! A grateful salute to all the veterans who went ashore at Normandy - especially those who never returned. Gardening may have to wait, as rain is moving in. Asparagus crostini sounds delicious, and thanks @dfishfor the suggestion of sliced zucchini to cut the carbs!

The shawl I made for DD in Taiwan arrived Friday. Only seven days from when it was mailed. Her birthday is the day after tomorrow, so it  arrived in plenty of time after all. On a more worrisome note, Covid has taken a real hold in Taiwan now. Community spread is rampant, and some patients in Taipei are being sent to hospitals in other cities. DD had a vaccination appointment for June 4, but it was cancelled. What vaccine Taiwan has is now being concentrated on health workers, and all other vaccine appointments have gone on hold. 
DH and I visited Komodo Island on the Volendam in 2016. You can only go ashore if you have an excursion booked. It doesn’t have to be a ship’s tour, but you need written proof with the time and the guides name before you go. If you can’t provide that when you land, you are sent back on the tender to the ship. No wandering on your own. Komodo is very dry, and very, very hot. If you go on a tour, grab the earliest time slot you can possibly get! Water, a hat, and loose clothing are essential. The dragons are drawn to blood and can smell it up to five miles away. You are not allowed ashore with any wounds or open sores. One lady in the group ahead of us slipped and cut her leg slightly on a sharp stick. The guides grabbed her and got her out of there like she was a grenade with the pin pulled. Even so, when we saw the big dragons they had their heads up scenting the air. The large ones were carefully eyeing us one by one to track the source. When a large Komodo Dragon who smells blood slowly swings it’s head and stares speculatively into your eyes, the guides with their forked sticks seem like very scant protection.

For those who have been before, or don’t want to chance becoming lunch, there’s a tour to a beautiful pink sand beach on the other side of the island. (Also very, very hot). That’s what we were going to do on our GWV stop in 2020. For some reason or other, we didn’t go there after all.🤔

Approaching Komodo Island. Our first clue to the hot/ dry day ahead.

4A9177E6-4636-4195-BACE-9C506D178896.thumb.jpeg.a27163006c5a497743af58bbea845a3c.jpeg

The beach by the pier.

F5C9ED82-D62E-469F-A069-C20C6BA9E475.thumb.jpeg.b48420bf1569c4cd00144749daa2f311.jpeg

And the dragons, sensing human blood somewhere within a mile or so.

F6A6FE3D-1CFC-4CC4-94BE-00BFCBF34B91.thumb.jpeg.a1f799d00b0edfbcaf9e7a930fe92b70.jpeg

31DBD43F-8B6D-40A0-BDA4-AE10FE6E85A9.thumb.jpeg.f9082ab7de53aad6e6a70761d7834dc5.jpeg

A350C871-9087-4D26-A924-44E531653C98.thumb.jpeg.e75cd12e27ad5dce06551ff53a906c9e.jpeg

And of course, Happy Sunday! (It would be happier aboard a BHB!) 

C05B1178-3DFB-44DB-8871-8C4E66487247.thumb.jpeg.20ddbb00b34fa44761459c8b790a94bc.jpeg

• Like 28

1 hour ago, Damcruiser said:

One must sample white asparagus to truly appreciate that vegetable.

I so agree.  I adore white asparagus.  Had it for the first time in Bruges and it was so good.  They were so big!  I’m hoping to be able to savour some more nest year if they are in season and available 🤞 

And welcome to the Daily 🙂 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning everyone.  I can remember getting taken to drive-ins when I was really young, but they were already going the way of the dodo, by the time I was a teen they were sitting empty or turned into flea markets.

Before Dear Mother retired from teaching, she told me the curriculum would spend a week on things like self esteem challenges among youth who play hopscotch (I made that up, but it was something equally ridiculous) vs. about an hour talking about important historical events like D-Day, sigh.  

Today brings light rain to the Pacific Northwest, predicted to get heavier as the day goes on, I have a lot of housework today so it's good indoor weather, sunnier skies are supposed to return by Tuesday.

@Cruising-along We didn't get a drop yesterday, it was all up north in your direction, it was just gray.

Thanks to all the listers: @richwmn, @rafinmd, @kazu.  Prayers and thoughts to all that need them.  Happy birthday to Queen Elizabeth, so glad we still have gracious leaders among us from another era, hope it continues, but sadly it's not trending that way 😥.

@StLouisCruisers  Continued thoughts/prayers @dfish I love asparagus, and I'm more intrigued by the first version, even though both look wonderful.  

On Komodo's, normally I'm not bothered by reptiles, including snakes, but those dragon things just look kinda gross to me.  I think I'll stay on the ship with @ger_77.

@TiogaCruiser ahh, the marine layer, both a blessing and a curse, on my Hawaii cruise a few years ago I had looked forward to seeing the milky way on sea days, HAL even had an astronomer onboard and was planning on giving a talk, but ya know what?  It never happened, not once, we had a marine layer EVERY night!  

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. Remember the courageous soldiers who were involved in D-Day. I haven't been to a drive-in movie since childhood. Gardening can be good exercise.

Great quote.

I'll pass on the meal and cocktail. I do like the wine and I'll take Roy's meal.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures from those who have been there.

My lawn needs to be mowed again, but it's going to be almost 90F today. I will wait until early evening when the sun is low.

@rafinmd Good to see you doing both lists today!

@kazu Thanks for helping with the lists while Roy was recuperating.

@Mtn2Sea @CJcruzer @tjcox9 @Horizon chaser 1957 Great pictures! Thanks.

@puppycanducruise I used a combo of Neem Oil, Castile soap and warm water to spray on my Hibisucus when it got aphids. You can google for the ratios.

@cat shepard Thanks for adopting us all!

@Cruising-along Prayers for your cousin. Hopefully they can manage the rejection with meds or she gets a new kidney.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

D-Day.jpg.a15f9fae2fffc9ed47c49539b3e0d72a.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning, Dailyites.  

Thank you, @bennybear, @dfish, @57redbird and @Quartzsite Cruiser for mentioning the Epley maneuver for dizziness.   I did it last night before bed and will repeat today.  Fingers crossed that there could be such a simple solution.  🤞  

Just the mention of D-Day brings a lump to one's throat.  It's hard to imagine so much bravery gathered in one place at one time.

Thank you for all the contributions here today.  The photos of Komodo are so interesting!

Sending prayers to those in need and wishing all a very peaceful Sunday.  🌻  🌹  🌷  🌻

I have not had good luck trying to do it by myself.  I found a physical therapist who also had special training in this procedure.  She supervises the maneuver and all the time looks into my eyes with special (magnifying?) glasses. I must keep my eyes open and try not to blink too much. She apparently can tell which ear has the crystals up in the canal by watching the movement of the eyes.  Usually it is only one ear that has the problem. And she can tell when she has repositioned the crystals.  (This is just my interpretation of what she does, so not a scientific explanation.) After the appointment I was advised not to go to a dentist or hairdresser for a few days and to sleep in a semi-reclined position for two nights.  Then had a second appointment in a week or so and she repeated some of the procedure.  After the first visit, however, I was about 90% better. (My Medicare/insurance covered all of this.)

I have had terrible vertigo three times in my life.  For me, it includes nausea.  Once was two days before I was to leave on a Danube river cruise.  Back then I didn't know about this and went to a chiropractor for help. This helped about 50%. I still went on the trip, but stocked up on meclizine (motion sickness) medicine before I left.  

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I have a question:

The past 2 years my tomatoes put out beautiful fruit that either stopped growing or attained proper size, but never ripened. And there were  oddles of branches and leaves. They were in the ground, in raised beds, full sun. I used a vegetable fertilizer (don’t remember which) and commercial munch.

Any ideas? 

How hot is it where you are?  Or cold?

The best temp for tomatoes to ripen is 68 - 77 Fahrenheit.  When temperatures are above 85 F or drop to  50F or below, they won’t ripen.  they put their energy into their leaves.

I found a website that might be helpful to you: .https://getbusygardening.com/tomatoes-not-ripening/

Hope this helps.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I have not had good luck trying to do it by myself.  I found a physical therapist who also had special training in this procedure.  She supervises the maneuver and all the time looks into my eyes with special (magnifying?) glasses. I must keep my eyes open and try not to blink too much. She apparently can tell which ear has the crystals up in the canal by watching the movement of the eyes.  Usually it is only one ear that has the problem. And she can tell when she has repositioned the crystals.  (This is just my interpretation of what she does, so not a scientific explanation.) After the appointment I was advised not to go to a dentist or hairdresser for a few days and to sleep in a semi-reclined position for two nights.  Then had a second appointment in a week or so and she repeated some of the procedure.  After the first visit, however, I was about 90% better. (My Medicare/insurance covered all of this.)

I have had terrible vertigo three times in my life.  For me, it includes nausea.  Once was two days before I was to leave on a Danube river cruise.  Back then I didn't know about this and went to a chiropractor for help. This helped about 50%. I still went on the trip, but stocked up on meclizine (motion sickness) medicine before I left.  

Not to make light because I know how awful vertigo is.  But ironically if I got onto a train or ship, it would completely clear up.  

Meclizine is our friend.  But one of the side effects is low fever, and I wonder how many people are going to get moved to quarantine because of it.  I will probably forego the sea sickness pills even though that can spell misery, especially in the MDR, for some reason dining is the only time it gets bad for me. 

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We didn't get a drop yesterday, it was all up north in your direction, it was just gray.

You are so lucky!  We live in that blasted convergent zone, it just poured all day.  I hear that relatives in North Bend didn't get any either. Edmonds looks to be the same as yesterday (where the whale watching will leave from).

• Like 8