Anyone doing a river cruise soon?

ninaks

My brother and his wife were thinking of taking advantage of the 50% off savings for summer Uniworld cruises.  He is looking at either a cruise in France or Spain/Portugal cruise.  He was asking me if i thought the towns would be safe to stop in and if stores and restaurants would be open.   They are fully vaccinated.  I know they are just opening up river cruising in Europe so I was hoping someone had already done the research on how it is being handled in the small towns the boats dock at. Any information would be appreciated or if you do go on a cruise soon, please post a review with these details.  Thank you

2 hours ago, ninaks said:

My brother and his wife were thinking of taking advantage of the 50% off savings for summer Uniworld cruises.  He is looking at either a cruise in France or Spain/Portugal cruise.  He was asking me if i thought the towns would be safe to stop in and if stores and restaurants would be open.   They are fully vaccinated.  I know they are just opening up river cruising in Europe so I was hoping someone had already done the research on how it is being handled in the small towns the boats dock at. Any information would be appreciated or if you do go on a cruise soon, please post a review with these details.  Thank you

I have a Uniworld Italian Gems tour coming up and I know that they are assisting with COVID19 testing for the return to the US. Italy is requiring negative COVID19 results within 48 hours of the trip. From what I understand,  Spain is just requiring a vaccine.  On the ship many new protocols are in place.  No one can guarantee the individual towns, but masks are required even outside by everyone.  I have also done the Uniworld Bordeaux cruise pre-Covid. Fabulous tour, but you will be around other people in most ports. 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We’re doing Majestic France next month on Uniworld. 

I agree, how exciting🙂I hope you have a wonderful cruise!   I am sailing next month too but mine is a cruise out of Greece.

2 hours ago, jeter55 said:

The prices are very good for going in 2021, just curious did any of  you book your air through Uniworld ?

I've booked my air thru Uniworld for all 3 of my river cruises, and found the fares to be much better than what I could have found on my own.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roz said:

I've booked my air thru Uniworld for all 3 of my river cruises, and found the fares to be much better than what I could have found on my own.

I was getting scared about airfare this summer.  It was looking like $1000 a person each direction. So $4000 airfare.  I had to reschedule with Avalon, so I went with an air inclusive.  It cost me $1200 more for airfare.  Way better than anything I was looking at.

Edited by SCBarker
  • Like 1

The conventional wisdom here on CC is to avoid cruise air.  That may be the case with ocean cruise lines, but I've not found it to be true for river cruises, at least in Europe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

The conventional wisdom here on CC is to avoid cruise air.  That may be the case with ocean cruise lines, but I've not found it to be true for river cruises, at least in Europe.

I agree.  Last time, we "mentioned" via our TA (her idea) when booking that we may wish for them to book our air. When the time came to book, they beat all prices we could find, and we were able to choose our airline, and select our seats though the airline.  This time, which hopefully we will be able to go next May, there was a major discounted air price so we booked it, and were still able to get our airline of choice.  When the cruise was cancelled, they forwarded it on to our next cruise, but we do have the option to book our own air if we wish.  I doubt very much we will be able to beat the price, but at least we can try.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roz said:

Honestly - I have to say Princess's cruise air is amazing. I can fly Business Class for the cost of me purchasing coach air fare on my own. I can change it up until 45 days out.  I don't have experience with other lines.

• Like 1

We are booked for Rhine and Moselle for October.  I know France is opening up, hoping the same for Germany for our trip.  I am hoping most passengers are fully vaccinated on the cruises but I don't think they are requiring that unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Honestly - I have to say Princess's cruise air is amazing. I can fly Business Class for the cost of me purchasing coach air fare on my own. I can change it up until 45 days out.  I don't have experience with other lines.

I do a lot of ocean cruises on HAL, and I've heard good things lately about their Flight Ease program.  I have a South American cruise coming up in early 2023 and need to fly to Buenos Aires.  I'm going to check it out to see if I may be able to move out of economy for such a long flight, and I only need a one-way ticket.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I do a lot of ocean cruises on HAL, and I've heard good things lately about their Flight Ease program.  I have a South American cruise coming up in early 2023 and need to fly to Buenos Aires.  I'm going to check it out to see if I may be able to move out of economy for such a long flight, and I only need a one-way ticket.

It may be the same program.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Could be since they're both under the Carnival umbrella.

Holland America and Princess are under a smaller subset of the CCL umbrella called the Holland America Group.

• Like 1