Requirement to use Medallion App

gvre

19 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

All the recent marketing I've seen coming from Princess looks to be directed at young people.  I don't think Princess it overly concerned about the older demographic and their use (or non-use) of technology.  

I cannot say that. Princess knows who their customers are and if they’ve used internet packages, etc on previous cruises. Many older folks know how to go online, fill in forms and do carry smart phones & tablets. 

they just need to Keep the Personalizer options and let TA S help  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I just read the CC article that arrived in my inbox about the first Celebrity cruise that sailed. All check-in was done with a smart phone. Those that didn't have a smart phone had to stand in a different line to get boarding info done.

Sounds like a version of the Medallion...not mandatory, but makes life easier at check-in (if it works). I wonder how Celebrity got it done and Princess can't seem to do it.

The Celebrity app version is very different from the Princess app in that it works. 🤣  I have both on my phone right now.  I have a Celebrity sailing next month, and it correctly ported all of my info from the website into the app.  I cannot say the same for the Princess app for my September sailing. 🙄   

And for the Celebrity app, I was still able to print off my itinerary, boarding ticket, and tags from the main website.  I am not fully paid on my Princess September sailing but it sounds like that isn't even an option from some of the posts above.  I'll just wait and hope Princess sorts out their app by September. 🤪 

29 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

All the recent marketing I've seen coming from Princess looks to be directed at young people.  I don't think Princess it overly concerned about the older demographic and their use (or non-use) of technology.  

They might be heading towards the direction for younger people but it is the older or retired people that go on more and longer cruises.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 2

You may be able to show up with travel summary and all required documents and princess may manually enter you into the medallion app and give you a medallion (which you would be required to carry for contact tracing, room entry, etc)    But why risk it?   

Also anyone having to be entered manually will probably have a long wait to board   I do not like the medallion app, but can accept it to get on board and just get on with the cruise   Princess has done an awful job of communicating to booked passengers why the medallion is required  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Not sure how the app might accommodate your phoneless spouse's info ... maybe Princess hasn't gotten that far yet.  Or perhaps he will need his own acct and you put his info into your app.  Don't know ... but, personally, I would not be buying a smartphone at any price just to cruise a psrticular line!

One person can deal with most of the items on behalf of the couple sharing a stateroom on a booking.  Where necessary - or desired - you can logout one person and login the other when needed if sharing a single smart device.

8 hours ago, dog said:

yes! Not considerate at all. 

I’d be interested in the answer to how they will deal with internet outage at the terminal on boarding day?

will the Medallion/ internet work efficiently when power goes down? 

That would cause them issues prior to OM as check-in was done using laptops. 

3 hours ago, dog said:
3 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I cannot say that. Princess knows who their customers are and if they’ve used internet packages, etc on previous cruises. Many older folks know how to go online, fill in forms and do carry smart phones & tablets. 

they just need to Keep the Personalizer options and let TA S help

Yes we do know tech ... as the old saying goes 'its not rocket science unless I'm not classified as older (I'll be on SSA soon so I know that's not the case)

3 hours ago, phabric said:

They might be heading towards the direction for younger people but it is the older or retired people that go on more and longer cruises.

Many of us 'older or retired people' have no issue with technology. I just wish my cruise wasn't during the initial rollout phase. But I got it all done rapidly up to Step 4: Arrival and Departure Group. I'm using the shuttle back to the airport but cannot get an Arrival time slot. Oh well, it's 64 days away 

• Like 2

I still think PCL / HAL / CCL need everyone on the medallion to do contact tracing much like RCIs tracelet:

On 6/9/2021 at 7:24 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

From the new May 2021 passenger contract:  

section 6C.  

(3) technology-enabled contact tracing via wearable device technology;

So users can only use it to open doors / buy drinks & merch using their smart TVs for everything else while leaving it in the pocket. I plan on carrying my phone as little as possible too

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Many of us 'older or retired people' have no issue with technology.

I have no issue with technology. I have a big issue with technology that doesn't work even though it's mandatory. If one must use the app then the app should be functional for all. I also have an issue with forcing people to buy new tech in order to use the service. I understand that coding for much older OS versions isn't likely to be practical but many people don't even have the older systems let alone new systems. There are also a huge number of people who have no idea this change has been made and will be caught by surprise when they find they can't do things as they are used to doing them. These folks will be especially dismayed to find they can no longer rely on their trusty TA to take care of things for them.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have no issue with technology. I have a big issue with technology that doesn't work even though it's mandatory. If one must use the app then the app should be functional for all. I also have an issue with forcing people to buy new tech in order to use the service. I understand that coding for much older OS versions isn't likely to be practical but many people don't even have the older systems let alone new systems. There are also a huge number of people who have no idea this change has been made and will be caught by surprise when they find they can't do things as they are used to doing them. These folks will be especially dismayed to find they can no longer rely on their trusty TA to take care of things for them.

Exactly what I wanted to say and you said it well.  Many older people (like me) have smart phones that work just fine for what we need them for but to be forced to buy a new phone to download an app seems a bit over the top.

• Like 4