Can’t believe the competition did it!

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Kids have died...just not in the numbers of other age groups. Surprised you haven't heard of children dying...but many of us have.

people have died from drowning yet there are still water excursions operated from a cruise.   If a number is so small that it is virtually non existent then there is no need to talk about it or make policy based on it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Joebucks said:
16 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Don't forget to mention that the people demanding everyone get vaccinated are mostly doing so because they feel it will interrupt their cruise. The selfish nature knows no boundary. 

LikeLike ×
  •  

Hold on, a cruise is not a right. It's a LUXURY. I think being selfish IS ok in this scenario.

Why would I NOT WANT TO BE SELFISH about potentially having my INVESTMENT ruined (ie a cancelled cruise) because a covid outbreak occurs from a small group of unvaxxed passengers that exceeds the CDC guidelines? 

I got vaccinated and pose no additional risk (statistically) to the cruise line than I had before COVID-19 existed. If you do not feel a vaccine is something you need or want, then you can wait until the time comes that you can cruise without it. Same with immunocompromised (they are such a small subset of the US population BTW that they often avoided this type of travel, and eventually with so few exceptions there will be decisions made on a case-by-case basis). I also have a child under 12 with a cruise planned in October...looks like she'll be covered by this policy or hopefully be offered the vaccine by that time. If not, I will have to delay my cruise. No angst on my part to the cruise line, I want them to succeed and will do what I need to to make that happen so I can get back to this way of traveling. 

I think that feels pretty reasonable. These companies need to MAKE MONEY and it's not selfish of them to NOT WANT A DIAMOND/GRAND/RUBY situation all over again. I as a passenger, ALSO do not want this scenario. Yes, that is selfish. 

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

Hold on, a cruise is not a right. It's a LUXURY. I think being selfish IS ok in this scenario.

Why would I NOT WANT TO BE SELFISH about potentially having my INVESTMENT ruined (ie a cancelled cruise) because a covid outbreak occurs from a small group of unvaxxed passengers that exceeds the CDC guidelines? 

I did my part and got vaccinated and pose no additional risk (statistically) to the cruise line than I had before COVID-19 existed. If you do not feel a vaccine is something you need or want, then you can wait until the time comes that you can cruise without it. Same with immunocompromised (they are such a small subset of the US population BTW that they weren't catered to before, either). I also have a child under 12 with a cruise planned in October...looks like she'll be covered by this policy or hopefully be offered the vaccine by that time. 

I think that feels pretty reasonable. These companies need to MAKE MONEY and it's not selfish of them to NOT WANT A DIAMOND/GRAND/RUBY situation all over again. I as a passenger, ALSO do not want this scenario. Yes, that is selfish. 

And children do not pose a risk statistically.  Some people drink up what is told to them by the media thinking it is fact when it is nothing more than propaganda.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dominicr said:

And children do not pose a risk statistically.  Some people drink up what is told to them by the media thinking it is fact when it is nothing more than propaganda.

Correct, they do not pose a risk, however more than 19 have died since Covid began (to reference the earlier comment you made to another poster) and they do make up 2-4% of hospitalizations. That being said, I have little fear of my 6 yr old going on a cruise this year. I am vaccinated, my wife is, and my 14 year old daughter has just received her 2nd shot and will be good in 2 weeks. I also know the statistics for her age group are minimal in terms of direct impact to the age group(as outlined above) but they sure can spread the disease to those who are not vaccinated, which is why they will get tested. 

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mek said:

LOL - I simply don't plan on cruising at all until this mess settles down.  People act as if there are no other vacation options available.

Yep.  We have 12 weeks booked in Florida next winter.  There's one RCCL cruise sandwiched in that, but we won't bother with it unless things are pretty much back to normal.

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Everyone (myself included) said they would never do it, age ineligible children excluded. 

Carnival has announced for July embarkation from Galveston, anyone not vaccinated (INCLUDING CHILDREN) will be denied boarding. 
Children also excluded from Alaska itineraries for the 2020 season. 

They sent a letter where each cabin can apply to be in the 5%, though I'd say no thanks. 

I dont know how they will pick the 5%.

They also talk about pre registering you are vaccinated and also bring your card to prove it, both. No excuses, you cant board.

• All guests will be asked to confirm their status as fully vaccinated for COVID-19 during check-in and provide proof of vaccination in advance of boarding. (As a reminder, “fully vaccinated” means the final dose of the vaccine was administered 14 days prior to embarkation.)
  • It’s important for guests to come prepared, as those who arrive at the embarkation terminal without the proper proof of vaccination will not be able to cruise, and no refund will be issued.

4 hours ago, dominicr said:

So if they can exclude kids then they should exclude anyone with health conditions or anyone over 50.  This is so stupid.  

Yes,  Some are ok with restrictions until they are the excluded.  There was an old story on this type of thing how first they came for . . .  then. . .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Yep.  We have 12 weeks booked in Florida next winter.  There's one RCCL cruise sandwiched in that, but we won't bother with it unless things are pretty much back to normal.

Very wise.  Florida is basically back to normal for the most part in many places.  I personally don't see the need to cruise until all this is straightened out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmmasNana said:

I believe those who are booked on carnival in July rcvd this in an email. Vaccine Exemption Communication

https://www.carnival.com/vaccine-exemption-update?utm_source=bg&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=060821&fbclid=IwAR2CFNg6nOkqGveacR4li7dyYtiqJg4q4hTQ0kWEzlTgBmnVoccKaw9MrZc                                

VACCINE EXEMPTION COMMUNICATION

The CDC’s guidelines for operating a highly-vaccinated cruise provide the ability to accommodate a small number of unvaccinated guests (children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated and exemptions as required by federal law) on restricted voyages, based on the total number of vaccinated guests on board. If you would like to be considered because a member of your traveling party is unvaccinated and meets this criteria, please complete the information below to receive a follow-up communication with the requirements to be considered and the specific protocols you will be required to observe.

All fields with * are required

* Primary Contact Name

* Contact Phone Number

* Contact Email

* Booking Number

SUBMIT REQUEST

I posted this too, but think not cruising enough ignored it ...it bears repeating, ...some think this will be 100%, no Galveston is saying 95%. Thanks

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

Notice most (if not all) people who complain about a policy are those that are affected by it? Humans are just selfish creatures. We will throw grandma under the bus if it means my (kid, un-vaccinated family member, dog, etc) gets to cruise.

I especially love when we don't get what we want, the first reaction is to say why someone else should suffer too....misery loves company

And who is it that’s complaining about Royal not sailing 100% vacced again?  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dominicr said:

I have an October cruise with our two kids (5 and 2) booked out of Galveston and one in December for just me and the wife out of Miami.  I am vaccinated...the wife is vaccinated...obviously the kids aren’t.  I don’t care if people are or aren’t.  It should be their decision to do what’s best for them and what they think/believe.  If companies want to say you must be vaccinated to use our product then so be it....it’s their company and they have to live with the repercussions either way.  What I have a problem with is government mandates and people pawning off their ideas on others. 

Strangely, since 1973 we have heard “my body, my choice”.  That mantra seems to have lost luster in the current environment. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Strangely, since 1973 we have heard “my body, my choice”.  That mantra seems to have lost luster in the current environment. 

The problem is, deciding whether or not to vaccinate isn’t a personal choice—it’s a matter of world health....

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Don't forget to mention that the people demanding everyone get vaccinated are mostly doing so because they feel it will interrupt their cruise. The selfish nature knows no boundary. 

I don't think anyone is saying grandma should be thrown under a bus. If we know grandma is a high risk, I think most of us agree that grandma should be vaccinated. The debate from there seems to be that somehow, that's not good enough for grandma.

No COVID thread is complete without a tear-jerking, emotional argument, devoid of fact.

So it’s wrong for vaccinated folks to not want to be trapped on a cruise ship because covid broke out and the ship can’t dock anywhere? That is being selfish? Not wanting their vacations ruined? I have zero fear if getting covid, but I don’t want my new found freedom to be screwed up by folks refusing to vaccinate, Typhoid Mary can just stay home.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That's a very misleading argument. The "My Body, My Choice" mantra used by "the left" and feminist organizations was/is intended for 1 very specific topic, reproductive/sexual rights of women. In the case of the that usage, that's a personal decision that only directly affects that person (it in no way can directly affect you personally), whereas this argument of "my body, my choice" in the usage of vaccines CAN affect other people. There is a difference. 

Just because other "political groups" decide to pick and choose how to "apply" "My Body, My Choice" doesn't change the original intent. That issue should be argued with the people that changed the meaning. 

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

And who is it that’s complaining about Royal not sailing 100% vacced again?  

Not sure where you were going with this, my comment was intended to mean that the selfishness is from all sides. If one person wants a 100% vax cruise and they don't get it, they complain. If another person wants unvaccinated cruises and don't get it, they complain. It is human nature. We (as a species) are generally selfish and care more about what WE want than others.

My comment that you replied to was in no way geared towards my personal desired for the situation (which are irrelevant)

40 minutes ago, dswallow said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of ships in Cozumel (or Grand Bahama Island)

at the same time.

The issue is that the CDC included in their guidelines for US-based departures that all guests on a cruise line's private island, vaccinated or unvaccinated, could be maskless IF and ONLY IF there was only one ship docked at the private island at a time. So for Freedom to go there, it has to be the only ship there at the time. And it impacted how they could schedule things with our sailings.

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

This grandma was vaccinated in Jan/Feb with Moderna, and just tested positive for Covid yesterday. I am a pretty healthy 70 yo, with no underlying conditions and a normal BMI. Probably got a variant from daughter. Luckily, being vaxxed, I am having mild cold like symptoms (lost taste today). There are definitely no absolutes with this dang virus. 

Wonder if anybody here knows anyone else that has been a breakthrough case?

Two of my coworkers had Pfizer in January; tested positive in May. Only symptoms were a bad case of the sniffles. Neither lost their ability to taste. Feel better soon!!

• Like 1

I have two cruises booked but I hope Royal  bans ALL who do not have protection against Covid .  Children can get the "shot" in Canada at this time.  Will keep the schools open and end the in and out of online classes  due to outbreaks at school.  Will decide closer to final payment about cancelling.

• Like 1

In case you didn't see this, per CC News at 11:45am today:

"Carnival Clarifies Vaccination Requirements for Galveston Cruises, Allows Small Number of Unvaccinated Children"

<and>

"The news is a reversal of an announcement Monday when the line indicated its cruises would sail with fully vaccinated passengers only."

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6178/

16 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

So it’s wrong for vaccinated folks to not want to be trapped on a cruise ship because covid broke out and the ship can’t dock anywhere? That is being selfish? Not wanting their vacations ruined? I have zero fear if getting covid, but I don’t want my new found freedom to be screwed up by folks refusing to vaccinate, Typhoid Mary can just stay home.

The CDC has agreed the ship can dock...I know at homeport...so you're not just floating around.  

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

We have 4 cabins (big family trip) booked on the Allure Sept 19 out of Port of Canaveral...all 8 vaxxed, I hope we don't have to live with mask mandates.  

It's either masks for all or color coded bracelets that determine who is unvaxxed and wears a mask or is vaxxed and wears no mask.

7 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

In case you didn't see this, per CC News at 11:45am today:

"Carnival Clarifies Vaccination Requirements for Galveston Cruises, Allows Small Number of Unvaccinated Children"

<and>

"The news is a reversal of an announcement Monday when the line indicated its cruises would sail with fully vaccinated passengers only."

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6178/

Quick...let's all act surprised ;).

Again....I kid....I kid.

However.....to be blunt.  The market of people WITH a vaccine who are willing to cruise with unvaccinated passengers is significantly larger than the market of people with a vaccine only willing to cruise if everyone is vaccinated 😉 😉 😉

• Like 2